HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Coaches Show 7pm Eastern, Wednesdays on 1460 The Fan & 97.1 The Fan Act III

Old
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
ladadeeda

Now that's just shocking and not part of the "leadership" thing leek was talking about.

You could follow along with my previous responses.
So Hitch had no intention of playing Shelley. But he didn't run him out of town? Not totally sure how that works.

01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
So Hitch had no intention of playing Shelley. But he didn't run him out of town? Not totally sure how that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Leek, Shelly left in 2007/8. The year before our playoff year. They didn't implode when he left.

Hitch didn't not run off Peca, noticed no one picked him up after we parted ways? His career was coming to an end. Hitch didn't run Manny off. Chimera and Hitch had a fine relationship, there was no reason to run anyone off there.

Shelly got moved because Hitch wanted more then an enforcer.
Not because of being challenged by him. Now you can agree or disagree with Hitch's reasoning, but there was nothing more to it.

And Hitch certainly didn't run Foote off. He wanted to keep him badly.
Do I need to draw a map? I said in my post that Hitch didn't want to play a player that was only an enforcer. We were talking about more then one "leader". The entire body of work displayed that Hitch wasn't getting rid of people that "challenged" him. Dang.

I'll have to remember that every time you've turned the page on a player you've ran them out of town.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:41 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I am agree with Moreau but I cannot understand why did we get Clark?
It was a little bit of leadership thing and a whole lot about being able to dump Chimera and the extra year on the contract (the deal will save the Jackets at least $2 million next season).

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
It was a little bit of leadership thing and a whole lot about being able to dump Chimera and the extra year on the contract (the deal will save the Jackets at least $2 million next season).
Merely theorie. But as Goethe in Faust wrote:

Quote:
„Grau, teurer Freund, ist alle Theorie, und grün des Lebens goldner Baum.“

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:10 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Merely theorie. But as Goethe in Faust wrote:

Goethe, Goethe, Goethe... Do I constantly have to read quotes from him on here? Just gets old, ya'know?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 07:13 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Goethe, Goethe, Goethe... Do I constantly have to read quotes from him on here? Just gets old, ya'know?
But the quote is awesome. ... and I wrote this quote first.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 07:25 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
But the quote is awesome. ... and I wrote this quote first.
I'm just joking, we really don't get that many quotes from Goethe on the hockey boards, mt-svk. In fact, I'd guess your is the first in history!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Mega bump.

This show resumes tomorrow at 7pm. I'll assume 7pm is the new time for the entire season. Last season it was 6pm.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Hey, if you can't listen to the show (or just forget about it) don't fret. I'm doing a write up on the show like I used to do.

Here's a new way to ask coach Arniel some questions of you do the twitter thing.

www.twitter.com/coacharnielshow

Old
10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Can't get the stream to work.

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:11 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
Can't get the stream to work.
They've been having issues with it all day

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

First Coach's Show with Scott Arniel of the 2011-2012 season!

First segment with Scott Torgerson and Scott Arniel

Torgerson: I noticed you cam in and helped the new guys out. Looking forward to the year?

Arniel: Yes I am. A lot of new guys, young guys. It's exciting times. We're all excited.

T: how did camp go? Sum it up.

A: This was a hard camp. Difficult on the players. Last year with the tripto Sweden it played into how we handled things, keeping a lot of bodies around. This year we went right into it. I thought it showed on the ice. Had a great last week, going to Miami.Did some great team bonding.

T: a lot of teams do that stuff. Traveling to cities to team bond.

A: I heard they did it a few years ago. I talked with Scott about doing it this year. I think it's good to break things up for the players. It's a bit of a mental grind, and it helps. Good get-to-know each other trip.

T: Best golfer on the team?

A: Without a doubt: Wisniewski. I think he's a +2. Martinek is also very good. Helped our team win the thing.

T: Younger camp this year, what's the decision behind that?

A: We're growing, getting more depth. More competition for jobs and spots. Coming into camp, 3-4 guys had a chance to make team. When you have that, tough decisions to make. We're going to give these guys a chance. Nothing is guaranteed going forward, though. They know they are going back down if they don't perform.

T: In the past, depth not as good. Talk about the depth this year. List of guys to call up?

A: It will go according to type of palyer we need. Goal scorer: 3-4 guys we can call up. Cody Bass or a Dane Byers could be a call up for a checker. On D, we have 3-4 guys I feel good with. Last year with 7 first year guys in Springfield, there has been a lot of growth.

T: Giving away a pair of glass seats on the show tonight. Every caller this year will have a chance to win a meet-and-greet with Coach Arniel.
Two big acquisitions this off season. Talk about Carter deal.

A: It's the one that springbaorded us into making the other moves. Why Wiz and Prospal and Umberger all wanted to sign. Saw the bold moves. Scott and I talked 2-3 weeks before it went down. Saw the Bryz deal, and suspected something would happen. Got a phone call very early. We knew something was up. Weren't sure which names would come around. Closer to the draft, we were excited. Didn't have to give up too much to get what we wanted. Night before we knew we were getting Richards or Carter. Found out it was Carter day of. This may be the big turning point for us. We hope it is.

T: It's pretty hard to keep a secret in this NHL. Other teams who called for that pick you had in draft?

A: Scott was having conversations with pretty much everybody for our pick. It was out there, no secret that it was available for the right move. Hate to finish that low in the standings but having that pick worked out for both sides.

T: With Wiz, brought him him. Talked him into it. Might have hit open market. Talk about his visit. Don't want a guy to leave without signing.

A: We were excited at first when we made the deal. Scott and I were going to drive to Detroit to meet him, but he insisted on coming down to see things for himself. Talked for 2 hours. James and I went around the arena and just talked. He has lots of questions. We were both just honest and straight up. It was a good time, a good opportunity. 3 day period we were on pins and needles waiting for his decision. Very happy he signed.

T: During those three days, did you call him at all?

A: No, we were hearing from the agent. Were trying to find the fallback just in case. Were trying to line ourselves up for next guy just in case. Another great day for the organization.

T: Calls coming up next segment.

Old
10-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Second segment with Scott Torgerson and Scott Arniel and callers

Torg: Opening night: for a coach you still get nervous?

Arniel: I do. Opener is always big and you always get excited. Once puck drops, I get into the game. It's just the kid in all of us.

T: How disappointed is Wiz with suspension?

A: Very frustrated, but over it now. He's working hard and is our extra d-man in practice. When he gets in, he's going to be ready to play.

T: One of Wiz's priors was a hand gesture. Were they really counting that as a prior suspension when it comes to the 8 games?

A: I think the big thing is your conduct as a player. It showed the league in a bad light, the gesture. But the biggest things were his two hits before this one.

T: Do you think he will be seen as a trouble maker by the league?

A: He's going to have to be more conscious of his game. Where his arms and shoulders are in the game. He knows thats how they see him now and is ready to make the correct changes to his game.

T: Talked with team about Shanny and his work so far?

A: We've talked about it. Keeping your arms down is something we've talked about. When the rulings come down, you can view it on the Internet. That's helped the players understand. Nobody knew what exactly the rules were before.

T: Last year, Oshie broke his ankle in a game. Knew coming back, there was going to be retaliation. With Clutterbuck, can we expect something similar?

A: I think that if there is anything, it's probably between James and Clutterbuck. Clutterbucks hit on Tyutin wasn't that bad. A little late ,but we gotta get over it. If Wiz has the chance, he's going to hit Clutterbuck. Just have to know where he is at all times because we know he's going to hit us all game when he has the chance.

CallerZORAN: Glad you kept Cam and Max this year. D was surprising this year so far. Less shots on Mase.

A: We've worked on it. A lot of video watching. It's called boxing out. Got to let the goalie see the first shot, then box out to prevent rebounds. Came into camp knowing we would make our D do that every day. If our goalies can see the first shot, and we box out it makes the game easier for them.

T: New goalie coach. Did he come in with a specific plan?

A: Clark had a lot of video on Mase. Came in with a plan. Got all the technical stuff out of the way. The biggest thing with Mase is between the ears. Have to focus right and do things on a repetitive basis. I've noticed Mase has calmed himself down. Has gotten off to a good start. Clark and Mase have a good relationship and I like where it's gone so far.

CallerKEN: Goalie situation: where do you go with Mase if he gets hurt or has a bad run?

A: A big injury to Mark Dekanitch. Stanford is a proven NHL goaltender. Have abit of a relationship wit him from my Vancouver days. I am confident in him. He's past all his injury problems. We have to give these guys an opporunity. Put a new goalie coach in place. We're gambling a bit, but we think it's going to work our way.

T: Mase to play both opening games?

A: Haven't layed it out. I think we will see Sanford early, though.

CallerNICK: Addition to Carter to help Nash get more opportunity?

A: Will give Nash more space. Last year Nash had no room and couldn't get to as many pucks. This year with 2 dangerous line men, Nash will have more chances. If they decide they still want to double team Rick, Jeff has the talent to win games himself. 2 big bodies will be a big force against any team in the league.

T: Prospal is a bit of a character. Not afraid to give a coach a peice of his mind. Worried?

A: not at all. If Prospal says something, he's probably said it to my face. Him and Martinek will be a big part of our team. If he has something to say, we need that.

T: Team lack players like Prospal and Wiz with personality?

A: it is something we lacked. But we got them because of how they play. Their personality is a bonus.

T: Are the new guys big locker room guys?

A: Vinnie is. Martinek more quiet in the room. Prospal is good with the young guys.

T: We're going to break down the young guys who made the team next segment.

Old
10-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Third segment with Scott Torgerson and Scott Arniel and callers

Torg: Cam Atkinson: Tell us about him

Arniel: Was impressed with him last year. had big numbers in college. Didn't have to go to Springfield, but did. Did pretty well. Came to camp with determination to make the team. hungry on the puck. Not very big. He competes. Put him with top players and lower lines. Always competed for pucks. Plays well without the puck. Reliable on the wall. Great camp. Now it's on him to stay here all year.

T: So impressive that he had to be on top 6?

A: He's a guy who needs to play. Need him in PP situations. If he doesn't work out, we'll talk about it. Don't think he would work out on 4th line.

T: Brassard and Johansen to play on 4th line?

A: Yes, gotta see if these guys can play. With Brass, it's an experiment. So far, we're liking how things are lining up.

T: CBJ with 3 scoring lines. Feel comfortable with that?

A: Yes. At home it's easier because I have the changes I want. It will be a great challenge for him.

T: at what point do you make decision on Johansen? On-going thing?

A: We haven't talked about it a whole lot. Just going to leave it up to Ryan to battle and compete every night. Not sure if he will play all 9 in a row or not. He has to play for real in the real games. Its his job to earn or to lose.

T: Calvert: didn't know how much he would play last year,but earned a job.

A: Exactly. Played well all year last year for both AHL team and us. A good example.

CallerPAT: In camp, mix of jr, college players, etc. A pecking order?

A: College guys don't play as much so they have a tendency to burn out after 50-60 games. Jr guys play a lot more so they have more endurance. AHL guys don't because of the travel and schedule. Every year in camp you have a surprise. This year it was Atkinson last year it was Calvert. Easier for forwards to make the jump, then D-men and goalies.

T: Most Canadian kids go to Jrs, just some Americans go to Jrs.

A: College players with weekend schedule do a lot more training and get more practice in. So they tend to be more physically developed.

CallerCHRIS: When a player like Avery gets sent down, ever a situation where the big club is not responsible for that cap hit? When the team travels, do the guys pick their roommates? How does that work?

A: I allow the players to pick their own roommate. If you have played over 500 or 600 games, players are allowed to have their own room. Older guys will take advantage of that. I don't get involved with their picks. With Avery, team is still responsible for money, but doesn't count against cap if he clears waivers.

T: Will Avery land anywhere?

A: I think at the end of the day Torterella has done a good job. They may try re-entry to see if anybody will bite. Dallas is still paying for him, so if he gets picked up, 3 teams will be paying for him.

T: NYR still have Redden getting paid a lot in the AHL. CBJ tried to get him. Best move that never happened for this franchise. We're going to talk about Nashville next segment.

Old
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Fourth and final segment with The Torg and Arniel

Torg: MOre important aspect for this team to be successful this season?

Arniel: Consistency. Last year we were too streaky. I'd like to think that some of the new players know how to do that. Have to become a team that is dangerous all year and plays same way night in night out.

T: Nashvile: key to beating them?

A: They've made a lot of changes as well. Suter and Weber very dangerous. Rinne coming off big year. They don't give you a lot. Have to make them pay when they give you that rare chance. Offensively they try to grind you down and pounce on chances.

T: Trotz: secret to his success?

A: Him and his GM have been there since beginning. Think a lot alike. He does a good job of making sure team is prepared. Good org in terms of dealing with prospects. Good job of developing talent. Especially in goalies and d-men. That's what hockey is all about. They play a lot of defense and play it will.

CallerCHRIS: Offeason moves; who do you think has best chance to make immediate impact?

A: We all hope it's Jeff Carter. Could see Martinek playing solid quiet d game that shuts down other team. Maybe it's Prospal being that 3rd player on that big line. Hoping young guys continue their game that brings out the best in our older guys. Hope its Carter because it means that line is a dangerous threat.

CallerTODD: With Umberger letting it known that its our building with St. Louis and Wiz standing up for Tyutin.Do you get sense that that mentality is contagious? That guys are going to stick up for each other more?

A: Talked to the guys about being Team Tough. Nobody can take anything from anybody. Big test with that with Jared being out. Have to not let teams push us around. Have to be and stay aggressive. Our forecheck made us an aggressive team. Hits were way up and they have to stay that way. Have to keep opposition on their heels. We start to really want to play for each other and I think everybody is coming to the aid of everybody.

T: Cody Bass potential call up for Boll's role?

A: He was a really nice surprise. So was Byers. Both have a bite to them. Both guys left a good impression in the pre-season.

CallerWILLIAM: Thoughts on having 4 scoring lines?

A: When we become a threat every time we step on ice, that is a huge weapon. Another thing we can throw at teams to get them on their heels. It's also about our defense. Our D is very mobile and can be a part of that offense. Can break out of the zone well, and can join the rush. Creates a 5 man wave and can be dangerous.

CallerBRIAN: As a coach, how do you keep players from fazing you out.

A: Communication. If you are always talking to players. If you are sitting guys out, they have to know why. Always be honest and upfront and players will appreciate that. That's what I try to do. Hopefully were all on the same page in that.

****No show next week. Arniel will appear on Common Man and the Torg show as their is a game on Wednesday****

I am a bit rusty, but I think my typing and keeping up with the show improved as the show went on.

Old
10-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks Matthew for putting it in black and white.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Well done! Almost like I was there!

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Great job, thanks for that. Didn't know we could get either Richards or Carter, I wonder if LA had the choice and we got whoever they didn't want.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Neon City Navy FTW!

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:10 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Wow fantastic recap as always Matthew, thanks!

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Great job, thanks for that. Didn't know we could get either Richards or Carter, I wonder if LA had the choice and we got whoever they didn't want.
Interesting. I'm not sure how that would have went down. As I recall, our trade was completed first so maybe it was Philly's call and felt our offer was more suited to Carter knowing they had a potential deal with LA in the works as well.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I'm in, thank you Matthew for that recap, one of the few I have read in weeks.

I do like Arniel, I don't think his full value has been realized yet. In the end last season was more about Mason than Arniel, he's a great coach that should make the playoffs this season but it won't be easy.. Preseason picks of the CBJ missing the playoffs are not unrealistic.

Gotta have goaltending and a new team culture to get it done, we will see.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I am a bit rusty, but I think my typing and keeping up with the show improved as the show went on.
No kidding. I'll give you a pass since this is still pre-season

Whatever everyone else said above me x2. Nice job. Thanks Matthew.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Not enough to matter.

What a great job! Thanks much

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I do like Arniel, I don't think his full value has been realized yet.
You mean he might have more to offer than was shown in his first year as a NHL head coach (we can further illustrate his lack of experience at the pro level if you like.)? Don't really think anyone thought he peaked already Robert. You say that as if it was an outcome that could be potentially in doubt.

I don't know what he peak is, however, I am aware of a few things about his personality. Those things don't exactly fill me with confidence.

But as you said, we'll see.

I do love how you were quick to discount Arniel's record because of Mason. Does that mean Hitch was treated unfairly because of Mason's equally crappy performance? Want to make sure I understand the logic imposed here.

Thanks for the recap Matt. Didn't appear to be anything surprising coming out of that. Probably the most entertaining thing to come out of this preseason was the Atkinson making the roster. Not because he made it, but because someone lectured the forum this off season about him being over-hyped. Someone has to learn the difference between justified and un-justified hype. Much like the difference between accusation and suggestion based on evidence.

Last edited by blahblah: 10-06-2011 at 08:23 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote