HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Coaches Show 7pm Eastern, Wednesdays on 1460 The Fan & 97.1 The Fan Act III

Old
10-06-2011, 11:24 AM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Thank you Matthew.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:17 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Should be interesting tonight. more than anything, I'd like to know what the hell he meant by 'nothing like any other time we're here' when talking about the incident between him and the end of the game.

The implications of this piss me off more than 0-5-1. I'm aware there are idiots out there, but what he said is something you'd say about an away crowd. Very discouraging, considering that those that were there last night were undeniably trying to will the team to victory.

97.1 schedule says 7pm for tonight instead of 6pm. Not sure how accurate it is.

http://www.971thefan.com/content/sec...ports/cbj.html

Old
10-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

the thread title needs updated...they moved it to 7pm this year...after....THE BUCKEYE SHOW!

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I have word that it will be 7pm all year long, so mods, make it official in the thread title as well.

Last edited by Matthew: 10-19-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Show 2 of the 2011-2012 Season

The 0-5-1 Edition with Scott Torgerson and Coach Scott Arniel

Torg: When you're 0-5-1 to start, is it consuming you? Can't wait to get back out there?

Arniel: I think so. Want to hit the ice to vent. Want to continue our hard work from last night into next games. We were much better last night and need to carry that into next few games.

T: It's easy to say its the PP, D, etc, but in this case its a lot of things. What takes top priority?

A: Prior to last night it was work ethic. We've done a lot of work on the PP since start of year. Have scored 2 goals last 2 games on PP. Still, lots of things to improve on. D coverage, have to keep pounding away on that. Last night the forecheck was very good. That is part of our identity and finally got back to doing that.

T: Giving away CBJ/Red Wings tickets away tonight. Will not be giving these to Red Wings fans, so don't worry CBJ fans. Aaron Johnson with a good goal last night. Dorsett may have been pushed?

A: I thought it was a goal. Refs said DD didn't allow goalie to get set for a save. It was a bad call. Flat out, it was a bad call.

T: Should NHL get coaches challenges like other leagues? Was that reviewed?

A: No, it wasn't. There was a big discussion in the offseason about coach's reviews. If the challenge is wrong, coach's would lose a TO. The league is afraid of slowing down the game, though.

T: Replays are still done in Toronto. Do you guys have an eye in the sky besides Hinote?

A: Dan Singleton, our video coach, has 3-4 cameras on everything. Sees everything at each angle. All coaches in the bench have ear pieces so we know what he's seeing for stuff like that. Know what we're talking about before complaining to refs this way.

T: Do you ever send tapes to the league?

A: We do. We try to get a few that we feel are wrong/questionable. Best way is to send a tape and ask them why something was called. Ask for a full explanation.

T: Do you know the refs well enough to go to your team to give them a ref scouting report?

A: Yes. A lot of the younger refs come from the AHL, where I come from. I know their tendencies. I make sure our players know it. The players know them too. Gotta let players know that certain refs are going to make more calls than others.

T: How annoying are make-up calls?

A: There was a quick interference call on our goalie last night. But I wouldn't say they always do that.

CallerRANDY: I'm a fan, a PSL Holder. We're not doing really well at the time. Just keep going, guys. It's too early to start moaning. (NO QUESTION HERE)

A: That's exactly what we're trying to say to the players. Still 76 games left. We can either hang our heads or work like we did last night and find a way to win those hockey games. I believe in this team and believe we're going to come out stronger because of this.

T: Prospal says we have to raise our games in practice, so it will carry over to games. Been a great addition to the team, right?

A: He's been great in practice and in games. Is starting to feel comfortable with the guys, so he's speaking out more in the ice these last few games. We had a great practice today.

T: Hard decision to break Prospal and Nash up?

A: We needed Vermette and Brassard to get going. Nash was playing well. Prospal was playing well. 2nd line had a lot more scoring chances last night. Sometimes when things aren't going well, you have to spread it out. Vinny seems to do a good job of that.

T: Last night's Benn goal. Outcompeted several Jacket players. Do you lay into plays for that? Getting outworked?

A: Lets just say we reviewed that on video pretty well today. That's just something that can't happen. If we were playing better, that goal probably wouldn't mean as much, but we can't give up goals like that right now.

Old
10-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Segment two with Scott Torgerson and Coach Scott Arniel

T: Not time to panic yet, but is there a sence of urgency?

A: That sense of urgency is def. there. Lot of frusteration with fans, coaches, and players. One win will go a long way with everybody and us getting back on track.

T: Red Wings present big challenge.

A: Good team to have to face. Know if we're not ready we're going to get embarressed. Need to follow up with hard work from last night and get rewarded with goals.

T: Wings good at puck control game. Key to getting puck from them?

A: Pressure them early. Don't give them free ice. Last year had good success against them because of hard forecheck, not letting their D get set. Can't have our D be slow to set up. Have to have forwards working hard to get back in our end when they have to.

T: Can the Wings be knocked out of their game by getting physical early?

A: A little bit. Worked a little bit last year. Can't really upset them. Not going to get them to totally change their game. Babcock keeps them in line that way.

CallerSCOTT: Right before puck drop of 2nd and 3rd period, you switched lines. What's up with that?

A: We get last change. They started Ott and Benn. I wanted Dorsett with Ott. I wanted DD to neutralize Ott.

T: Brassard: want him to shoot more?

A: He's starting to recognize whats going to help us have success. Is looking to shoot instead of over handling the puck. Sometimes its the best play. His goal was good. Right in the high slot. He knew he had to get in that tough area. Hopefully his start will ignite the other players we need to get going.

T: Is Brassard streaky?

A: At this point, I hope so. Last year was one of our top guys before his injury. Need him and other to start carrying the load here.

CallerSOMETHING: Does it bother you that your sport doesnt allow you to do what baseball and football does: get out there and challenge refs face-to-face?

A: Can get refs sometimes, usually not the tone that made the call. IT does get frustrating. Especially when you have a ref that has done stuff to you a lot. I've seen refs throw stuff on ice, etc.

CallerALEX: Questions on Mason: If he keeps struggling, what's plan with goaltending?

A: Our plan took a big hit with injury to Dekanitch. We know he has a big upside. I was going to start Stanford yesterday, but pulled his groin in practice. 2-3 weeks out. Had to pull the kid from junior because York is hurt. York is back on ice. Skated yesterday and today. I know Mase hasn't been at fault, but he has to be there to help us win games. Everybody has been waiting for him to return to form. Dekanitch is still a couple weeks away. Started practicing in full pads just recently.

T: With York coming up, what's the planned rotation?

A: It's game-to-game. I'll talk to Ian Clark about it. If he thinks York is up to a regular back up schedule, we'll take a look at him.

END SEGMENT TWO

Old
10-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Segment three with Scott Torgerson and Coach Scott Arniel

Torgerson: Ottawa: They are a crazy hocket market.

Arniel: surrounded by Montreal and Toronto. They get swept up in those two crazy market and atmosphere.

QuestionfromJohn: Johanesen to see any top 6 time?

A: Last night was a better night for Ryan. Went in with Umberger and Nash a few times. Did it last night after some PKs when Vermette and those guys were on the ice a lot.

T: Carter's foot injury: agent saying he needs to be fully healed. I think he will play with pain. Will he?

A: I know he's going to want to. Have to make sure this doesn't continue to happen. Can't lose him for another 2 weeks. Need to decide what works best. He can't put pressure on it right now.

T: Same injury as pre-season?

A: No, it's a different spot.

CallerCHRIS: Game against the Canucks. Didn't look like any team was checking hard in person? How to get guys more physical?

A: Last night was our best physical game and on the forecheck. It was our identity last year. I don't think we have been doing enough of that so far. Had a lot of opportunities last night because of our forecheck. It's all about creating turnovers and getting opponents on heels. Has to contnue.

T: How far away is the team from forming identity?

A: We're close last year, then changed a lot of places. Right now, we're evolving. Lost Calvert and Atkinson. They will be back, but right now we need to get our forecheck and energy back. Felt like a guy like Cody Bass was going to be the type to help us get back there. Nothing worse than having a young guy picking up bad habbits and being ruined for years to come.

T: Team missing Boll more than you thought?

A: I think so. Teams are taking more liberties than usual. He's our sheriff. Also a good player who forechecks hard. Terrorizes d-men. Cody isn't a heavyweight but he's a good skater and tracker.

T: Timetable on Boll?

A: Has a plate in hand. Still in a cast. Was an 8 week injury. He's skating with us, though.

T: Bag-skate after Dallas lost: is that the hardest practice you've ever been a part of as a player and coach?

A: No. When I was in Buffalo we had a practice where we were doing army crawls on the ice, etc. It was brutal. I saw enough and needed to change things up. I didn't like it, but we needed it. I think it worked. Showed in the effort last night. Team was working as hard in the last drill as they did in the first drill.

CallerALEX: Good thing that team is getting losses early?

A: We are hoping for that. If we can learn our lesson very quickly here and use that as motivation, that's good. These guys don't want to feel that way again. Hoping it's nothing but straight up from here.

END SEGMENT THREE

Old
10-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Fourth and final segment with Scott Torgerson and Coach Scott Arniel

Torgerson: question from Twitter from Kyle

Plans with Wiz when he comes back?

Arniel: Pair him with Tyutin. Gotta give Wiz credit. It's been a tough stretch for him. He takes all the responsibility. He's been working his tail off, though. Chomping at the bit to get back out there.

T: How bad is team missing him?

A: We know about his shot, his grit, his experience. But a big reason we wanted him is because he's demanding. Demanding of his teammates. Holding teammates accountable. Prospal has been good in that role in his absence.

T: will have to change game now that he's under microscope.

A: He will. Have to change some of his physical side. Have to watch when guys turn, watch his elbows. He'll have to adjust, and it's going to be a work in progress.

CallerBRAD: Questions on shootout: seems like when team gives up really late goal, it's really hard to get self back together and get the shootout victory?

A: Yes, it's all about momentum. Effects goalies a lot. Swings can happen when you score first, too.

T: I'm old school and liked the ties.

A: What started to happen, all teams did was play for ties. Not good for fans. Teams didn't even try to cross the red line.

CallerZORAN: Was upset first few games with PP. Seems to be improving. More shots, positioning is better. 2nd unit, RJ is not getting feeds in front of net.

A: Changed it up last night. Thought new combinations worked. Need two units who are dangerous. We've done a better job. It all starts with a shot. That's where Wiz is going to help us. When Clitsome shoots, it creates havoc in front of the net.

CallerJIM: New faces in the line up. Building chemistry: what do you ask them to do to build chemistry?

A: When on the road, we ask guys to get new roomies and guys in their group. Have more packs of 8-9 guys going places. We've moved the locker room to get new guys around our vets more. Really work on repetition to get guys to really know each other on the ice, too.

T: Who do you have in the World Series?

Arniel chose TEXAS to win it all.

There will be a show next week as Arniel makes a appearance via phone as they will be on the road.

END OF SHOW 2.

Old
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Segment three with Scott Torgerson and Coach Scott Arniel

END SEGMENT THREE
Thanks Matthew. I don't get to listen to the show down here so I really appreciate all the trouble you go to in posting.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:26 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Me as well. I always look forward to your recaps, Matt. Nice job.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:09 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Demanding of his teammates. Holding teammates accountable. Prospal has been good in that role in his absence.
Maybe Arniel should put the A on Prospal.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:15 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Thanks Matthew. It's awesome you do this for us that can't catch the show. Greatly appreciated.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Ever seen a tan line in the shape of an "A" on someone?

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 900
Matt, You don't know what a service you provide to those of us who can't get to listen to the show. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:13 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I second that.

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:29 PM
jktsfan*

Quote:
Looks like he puts in more effort than anyone on the team right now.

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Arniel seems very high on Prospal right now.

The rotating A's are Vermette, Umberger, Carter,and Wiz.

Two no-shows, broken foot, and suspended. Yeah, I have no problem with Prospal getting an A right about now.

Old
10-20-2011, 03:40 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

And another very fine job on the transcripts. Matthew. Your HFBoards Professor gives you another A+

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Ever seen a tan line in the shape of an "A" on someone?
There is something vaguely disturbing about this post..

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
There is something vaguely disturbing about this post..
Just because I watch a lot of gladiator movies and hang around a gymnasium doesn't mean anything.

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:17 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I'm not capable of typing quickly enough to do the job Matthew did. Instead, I've decided to record Arniel's show to an mp3 file tonight and if anyone wants it, just let me know.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

that's cool leek...can you highlight the things said tho?

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Sorry, folks. Something came up. Feel free to fire me

Old
10-26-2011, 09:06 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Here's a link to the recording of today's Scott Arniel show

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Byt...ZhOTI4ZWIwYWYx

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Bump. I'll be resuming my post as show correspondent today.

How to listen:

-Central Ohio: tune your radio dial to 97.1 FM
-Outside of central Ohio- stream the show here http://www.971thefan.com/content/too...listenlive.jsp
Stream the show from your smartphone at www.m971thefan.com

Want to ask a question for the Coach/whoever else is on?

-Email the host of the show Scott Torgerson: torg@971thefan.com
-Tweet questions @CoachArnielShow
-For when Jeff Rimer eventually shows up, ask JACKETfan for Rimer's personal cell phone number to text questions directly to the man himself.