HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Coaches Show 7pm Eastern, Wednesdays on 1460 The Fan & 97.1 The Fan Act III

Old
11-02-2011, 05:07 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Just because I watch a lot of gladiator movies and hang around a gymnasium doesn't mean anything.
Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:04 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

Bump. I'll be resuming my post as show correspondent today.

How to listen:

-Central Ohio: tune your radio dial to 97.1 FM
-Outside of central Ohio- stream the show here http://www.971thefan.com/content/too...listenlive.jsp
Stream the show from your smartphone at www.m971thefan.com

Want to ask a question for the Coach/whoever else is on?

-Email the host of the show Scott Torgerson: torg@971thefan.com
-Tweet questions @CoachArnielShow
-For when Jeff Rimer eventually shows up, ask JACKETfan for Rimer's personal cell phone number to text questions directly to the man himself.
I'll also post an mp3 of the show

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
SEGMENT 1: the 2-9-1 edition

Torgerson: Nice win against the ducks. Most complete 3 periods of hockey this year?

Arniel: Without a doubt that was our best. We didnt allow Anaheim to get into how they play. Did a lot of good on offense and defense.

T: You believe in hardcore hockey. Hard to get consistency from team with that style?

A: That's something that starts in practice. Then carries over into games. Since Dallas, I thought our work ethic has been pretty good. I really like the way we've been competing. Hopefully players realize this is how we have to win. Whether it's getting our noses dirty or doing right thing with the puck at right times, that's what we have to do.

T: Nash said team has to outwork teams to win. Agree with him?

A: Yeah, some teams like the Canucks and Chicago can play uptempo game. Having people out of the line up, we need to recognize that we have to be nasty to play against. A team that is going night in and night out. The fights last game started because we agitated and battled hard. Not because we were looking for fights. Glad Rick stepped up and said that and I think the other guys believe in him and did the same.

A: Talk about Bass and the physical element he brings.

T: he had a good camp. Played good with and without puck. Is a great skater and great hitter. Last night had a perfectly clean hit on Sbisa. Ignited the team. A fight with Getzlaf was the perfect trade-off for us.

T: Haven't seen a questionable check from Bass yet. When you coach, do y

A: Some of the best hitters can do it from all angles and areas. They don't stop skating. Keep moving your hit, and go right through the hit. Can't slow down right before the hit. Can't glide for last 4 hit. Jared Boll is really good at that. Bass, Dorsett as well. Chris Neal is one of those guys. Clutterbuck as well. Guys people have to be aware of whenever they are on the ice.

T: Tell us about Johansen staying with the team.

A: It kind of played itself out. It wasn't by design, but it worked out that we had a lot of time to make the decision. Looked at a lot of things. Evaluating him every day. Talked to his teammates, talked to him. At the end of the day, just felt like he was a better player here and would make us here. Doesn't mean he will be here all year. Seems a lot more comfortable since moving to wing. Maybe center was a little too much for him at this point.

T: Will you feel fine scratching him when needed or does he have to play every game?

A: No. Won't be scratching him just because hes young. We have to experiment with him right now. Move him up and down when needed. See if he can play with Sammy, etc.

T: Johan looks like he belongs in this league. First 5 games looked out of place. What happened? His emergence seems to go in-hand with the rest of the team.

A: When we moved him to wing it started to work. He didn't have to worry about defending, position as much. It's a hard position to play in this day's NHL. One day he will get back to center. But if he can help up from wing now, that's a great step for us. Especially with the players who are out.

T: You played winger in the NHL, right?

A: started as center in the NHL, but I played all over. Playing center is always easier to move wing. Very hard to move from wing to center.

CallerZORAN: Prospal has been impressive. Showed a great one timer slap shot. Mason seems more confident lately. Did the days off help Mason?

A: Prospal is a treat to have here. What a great signing. Both on ice and dressing room. His work ethic is contagious. That slap shot is all experience. He's learned from good people.

T: Prospal played center in the past, could he see some C in the future?

A: he's not really a center, that's just where he was. I think Vinny would agree that he doesn't have the foot speed to play center anymore. Going back to Mason, I think the day off did help Mason. Felt bad for York to throw him out in Chicago, but it worked out for Mason. Came back strong with an outstanding performance.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Segment 2:

Torgerson: Huselius: first time with team today?

Arniel: has been skating for 2 weeks now. Just started handling pucks. Doesn't have great range of motion. Can't do a slapshot. A good sign. He's not a week away or anything, still lots of work to do. Boll will join us in practice tomorrow. Expect him back next week. Carter could rejoin practice next week. Dekanitch is really looking like he's starting to come back. Methot will be in line up tomorrow.

T: Juice: tougher to put him with guys compared to Prospal?

A: Vinny goes to the net, really goes to the corner. Juice wants the puck on the outside and make plays. Wants others to get puck for him. They might actually work out well together.

CallerBOB: Team looked good with strong forecheck. With Juice coming back, will he hard time adapting to the hard forechecking style?

A: I don't want guys when they have time to make a play to dump the puck. As long as he doesn't turn it over, I want them to use their skill. It's about percentages. What are your chances of making a play? If Juice has to dump it, he's not going to run them over like Dorsett or Boll, but I need him to get in there. You can steal pucks. The biggest thing we tell our first guy in to do is disrupt them from getting an easy breakout. Second guy needs to pounce on that puck.

T: Schedule looking favorable for injured players coming back.

A: Yes, lots of practice time for guys coming back to get ready. Will be good for them to get timing back and get back into the game. Will have some fresh bodies out there.

TwitterCHRIS: how long will it take Carter to synch with guys once hes back in the line up?

A: Not very long. Saw that in training camp with first injury. He's got good enough hands to make up for any slow speed he might have with the foot. Hasn't been on his skates yet, hoping Monday is the day.

T: How do you handle foot injuries?

A: Just see if he can get out there and protect the foot when he's able to. Worst pain is when you take the skate off and everything swells and expands.

CallerKEN: Looking at the good games, Wis has been huge. John Moore hitting his stride. More speed on blueline helping Mason?

A: Without a doubt. When Mason sees those guys in front of him, it helps his confidence. Wiz knows how to do the right thing. Wiz and Tyutin really starting to get to know each other. Methot coming back will help ease minutes for Wiz and Tyutin. Martinek still a ways away. Still having headaches. The young guys are playing a lot more minutes than they ever had. Very excited about Moore. Was most minutes in NHL hes ever played. Wanted his fast feed out there agains Selanne and Kovu.

A: Moore seems like a nice kid. Seems like the guy who takes direction really well.

T: He's one of those guys who needs to be told to pull back, to relax. Did everything he could in offseason to make team. The guys really like him, and he's one of the types that will go through a wall for you.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Segment 3:

Torgerson: Fun for Moore to return to Chicago?

Arniel: Yes, he grew up a Hawks fan. Had to get a lot of tickets for friends and family.

T: Wiz: 30 minutes on the ice. How are you going to handle him with practices going forward with all this ice time?

A: He's in great shape. It does't effect him. He has same energy first shift to last shift. We'll have optional practices. Only on some days will I keep guys off the ice for big minute players.

T: Last game DMac saw first line minutes.

A: We did it last year a few times. Brings energy. Because of his speed, he's able to really attack. Rick likes playing with North-South skaters like DMac. It's worked and we'll stick with it as long as it does.

T: Brassard: hasn't reached potential yet. Has it hit with him yet, where he has to start showing his potential?

A: Has shown great signs. Also shown that he's stepped back in some spots. Players have to make the choice: what is going to keep them in the league. We've talked about how he has to play to do that. Injuries haven't helped him. Just needs to find a way to stay consistent with and without puck. That will go a long way in helping his game.

T: What was your best Halloween costume. What about your kids?

A: Wife dressed our kid as a pea pod. I wasn't keen on it. I wanted him to have a more macho outfit. Myself, I went as a punk rocker with my hair in a big spike. That was a good one. Had the chains and tattoos everywhere. Some others can't be told on the air.

CallerSCOTT: What was the tipping point with Johansen?

A: At the beginning of the year, we all sat down. Wanted everybodies opinion on him. Needed to know what was best thing for Johansen's career. The turning point was the Ottawa game. In all honesty, prior to that game he was not going to stay in my opinion. Seemed overwhelmed at center. Didn't see any offense. Was trying so hard not to get scored on that he didn't do anything with the puck. Really exposed him. He realy turned his game around after that game. Has been a lot better on wing. Doesn't have to do so much. Starting to see the skill. We're not sure where were going to be down the road. Can still go back down to junior hockey, but knowing Ryan I think he's going to just get better.

T: RyJo known as a slow starter in junior. the penalty kill: why no Rick Nash? Starting to get him more involved lately.

A: We don't want Nash on the start of the PK. Will use him for last 30-40 seconds of PK. This is to keep his minutes down. Already plays a lot of minutes with a little PK. Players are scared of Nash on the PK because he's such a threat to score shorthanded goal. Always like Rick on the PK, but if you look at the stats he's playing more PK than you probably think.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Segment FOUR!

Twitter: Rather go through first 8 games again or take kids to see the Backstreet Boys for a month?

Arniel: Rather go through first 8 games again. Have another shot at it. Could not believe how loud the girls screamed at that concert. Louder than some rock concerts I've been to before.

T: Would you go back and change things from first 8 games.

A: Maybe change some lines up some. Would have liked to move Ryan to wing earlier now that i've seen what he can do there. Always question your own moves, even after wins. Always things you thought you could have done better.

Twitter: Still splitting season in 10 game segments? What is goal?

A: It's 5 game segments now. This segment we have 2 points in first 2 games. Want 6 points of possible 10. Will have to tinker with that after the start. Add some 7's, 8's and 9's mixed in. That will catch you back up quick. Still believe we can earn those points in these segments.

CallerLousiville: Curious on what you think of 3rd and fourth line lately.

A: Last game we made some changes. Ducks have that power line. Threw Sammy and Umberger with Bass. Had to get muscle against muscle. They did a great job. Sammy can go against the other teams best. Umby knows his role. He will do whatever it takes to help the team win. We can roll 4 lines with our current line up. Boll will add a lot to the group when he's back.

T: Talk about Toronto.

A: They can really skate. A lot of kids in the line up. Really good in transition tonight. In New Jersey tonight, so we have to get on them early. They'll give you chances with turnovers, so have to make them pay.

CallerKEITH: Prior to Ducks game, CBJ had 2-3 fights. 3 fights in 1st period against Ducks. Change of mindset or what?

A: Players had a players only meeting. They knew they had to be a lot tougher and aggressive. Really proud of the guys for sticking up for each other. None of the fights were started by our guys, but by Ducks who got mad because of the way our guys were going so hard and that's good to see.

END OF SHOW.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Thanks, Matthew. You da man.

also, question about Carter from twitter CHRIS... hmmm... that sounds like someone I know here on the boards... LOL

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

that was not me...i promise

i can fully understand where'd you think so lol

if I want to know, i'll just swing by grandview and ask...errr nvm

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Reveal your true self, CallerLOUISVILLE!

Old
11-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks Matthew, mad skills.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Is it weird that I chuckled and thought ******** to a couple of his answers? Anybody think that the reason Johansen looked overwhelmed this first few games this season was because he was in his first games and was only getting 9 minutes a game? And the bit about Nash on the pk was nice, he talked out of both ends of his mouth on that one. You want to limit his ice time, that's great and all, but come on, he's averaging 19:54 per game which is only like 24 seconds more than Vermette, Nash, if he really is the player Arniel thinks he is, why isn't he playing 21 minutes per game like the rest of the top players, he isn't even top 30 in minutes per game among forwards, which is unacceptable for your teams best offensive threat on a team that scores like 2 goals per game. I'm probably sounding like a nit picker or irrational at this point, but I just can't wait until this guy is gone.

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote