HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Coaches Show 7pm Eastern, Wednesdays on 1460 The Fan & 97.1 The Fan Act III

Old
04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
It is true no one knows what is in the mind of Howson but I know one thing, I can't recall a team pulling a top prospect out of an AHL playoff battle to skate around the practice rink with the parent club. If there are issues beyond the norm with Filatov requiring this type of action I can't wait to see how he's handled in his assumed pro rookie debut next season. I stand behind my words, nutto.
And who are you calling the nutto? Howson or Hitch. I stand by my point, you have no idea if Hitch approved Howson's move to bring him up in the first place.

So honestly, until you get the real story, keep you claims of peoples sanity in check. At least find out if you're pointing your comments at the right person first.

If you think back on history, Howson has thrown assets at Hitch that Hitch hasn't done nothing with or played them for a couple of games and scratched them for weeks. And remembering back, Hitch was pretty justified in his decision. This really isn't new.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

It is too bad that Murray got hurt. I'd rather see him out there playing than Modin. For those who want Boll playing, I've got to be honest, if it is between Boll and Dorsett - I'd take Dorsett. If it is between Chimera and Boll - well... then I'm not so sure.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
And who are you calling the nutto? Howson or Hitch. I stand by my point, you have no idea if Hitch approved Howson's move to bring him up in the first place.

So honestly, until you get the real story, keep you claims of peoples sanity in check. At least find out if you're pointing your comments at the right person first.

If you think back on history, Howson has thrown assets at Hitch that Hitch hasn't done nothing with or played them for a couple of games and scratched them for weeks. And remembering back, Hitch was pretty justified in his decision. This really isn't new.
Probably both, one for pulling him out the AHL playoffs to skate around a practice rink the other for not playing him for one or two games of experience when he is here. From a hockey based standpoint the whole thing is nutto, whacko, stupid, crazy, bizaar, unprecedented to my knowedge-call it whatever you want, how bout dumb?

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Probably both, one for pulling him out the AHL playoffs to skate around a practice rink the other for not playing him for one or two games of experience when he is here. From a hockey based standpoint the whole thing is nutto, whacko, stupid, crazy, bizaar, unprecedented to my knowedge-call it whatever you want, how bout dumb?
1. I would like to see him play, but it not is not dumb to sit him if you don't think he can help this team win. I haven't given up and I don't think the team has. Gaining experience at the cost of wins is called rebuilding and implies you are looking to next year. I don't want that attitude, not do I want Hitch to give the team the impression that he's given up.
2. We still aren't quite sure why Howson pulled him up, unless you took him at face value. I trust there's a good reason for the move. In all honestly, I could give a rats arse if Filatov ever got one shift of AHL playoff ice time or not.

The timing of Filatov's callup is unusal, but him not playing in the playoff isn't.

Old
04-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
1. I would like to see him play, but it not is not dumb to sit him if you don't think he can help this team win. I haven't given up and I don't think the team has. Gaining experience at the cost of wins is called rebuilding and implies you are looking to next year. I don't want that attitude, not do I want Hitch to give the team the impression that he's given up.
2. We still aren't quite sure why Howson pulled him up, unless you took him at face value. I trust there's a good reason for the move. In all honestly, I could give a rats arse if Filatov ever got one shift of AHL playoff ice time or not.

The timing of Filatov's callup is unusal, but him not playing in the playoff isn't.
Well, let me end by saying my descriptive terms where intended for the actions not the people... I know some of the reasons given to justify the actions may have been white lies but to assume they are the truth is just as valid.

Personally, I think playing so many of our guys at 19 and 20 may backfire. But with a team so depleted of a pipeline the organization is almost forced to speed the kids along. If (and that's a big if) H&H expect to start Filatov in 5 months why not use him now, the poster that used the Boll example to counter Hitch's reason for not playing him is a valid one. All that said I'd still play him tonight though...

Old
04-23-2009, 03:07 PM
blahblah

I'd play Filatov too, but I'm tempering that with the realization I have no idea what the real status of Filatov's developement is.

I have the luxury of saying "It couldn't hurt, we're not scoring and down 3-0 already". I have no real skin in the game.

Old
04-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Renion

As I said earlier, Hitch's comments sounded like a copout to me. However, I'm not sure I'd go towards "Hitch doesn't think Filatov is ready" as the next most likely reason (beyond his stated ones). For one thing, Hitch has never had any trouble saying other players aren't ready to play. But who really knows?

Yeah, that was a copout ending to my post. I lost interest

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 03:48 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
As I said earlier, Hitch's comments sounded like a copout to me. However, I'm not sure I'd go towards "Hitch doesn't think Filatov is ready" as the next most likely reason (beyond his stated ones). For one thing, Hitch has never had any trouble saying other players aren't ready to play. But who really knows?

Yeah, that was a copout ending to my post. I lost interest
I some circles Hitch's comments that prompted your first response could have been code for "he's not ready". It also depends on what he is or isn't ready for. Regular season next year, playoff intensity, the physical play, the speed of the game, to play within the system? His skill sure seems to be above the bar.

A lot can change with one offseason. Brassard anyone? Let's all keep in mind that Filatov, in all honesty, needs to visit the strength and conditioning coach this offseason. The good news is we only have to wait a few months to get more insight on Hitch's thoughts on Filatov.

I lost interest a while ago, however that never stops me from beating a dead horse. Sadly.

Old
04-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Show today?

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:01 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

According to their website http://www.971thefan.com there is a Hitchcock show on.

MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
What I dont get, Filatov recorded 4 goals in, what, a couple games? He didnt seem like he was really that out of place. So I really cant see how he's "not ready", short of he's out there doing laps and is falling over himself, which if thats the case, he probably wont be ready next year either! I cant see 3 months in the off season all the sudden making him "ready". From the get go, this never sounded like a Hitch idea, the Filatov thing seems to be entirely a Howson move, it seems it may be a 'you can call him up, but im sure as hell not playing him'
With the puck on his stick, Filatov is ready. The problem comes when it is not. Our Syrcuse correspondents have well documented his drifting without the puck and weak defensive play. He doesn't give his all. In addition, he's 170 pounds. To toss him to the Detroit lions would not be the best thing for the team or his development.

I think they brought him up as a wake up call, to introduce him to playoff hockey and to give him a real idea of what's expected of the Jackets regulars. You are right, three months this summer is not going to make him ready. But we don't need him playoff ready in September. The regular season is for making him ready. It's going to take him some time to make his mark, and he'll have guys like Voracek, Brassard and Dorsett around to show him where the bar is for effort. Portzline is almost certainly right in warning us to expect a lot of healthy scratches and six minute games for Filatov next year. If he rises above this, and when, he'll be ready for the playoffs.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:41 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Where's the transcript?

FIRE Mattlund!
Posted via Mobile Device

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I'm not sure about the Ken Hitchcock show, but I think that "Between the Pipes" runs through the rest of the play-offs, and maybe the draft.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:37 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

"Approximately" what Hitch and Rims said this past Wednesday...

(hey 97.1 podcast guys, boost the volume)

Rims: Weekly visits with Hitch to continue through Cup Finals.

Hitch: Re: Carolina win v NJ. Says "NJ will be in shock for months."
Never a worse feeling than losing your season at home. It's a physical illness that comes over you... for a long time.

Rims: talking to the guys this week....exit interviews
Hitch: We've stayed away from talking to the older veteran guys. It was too raw and too fresh. We're still dealing with disappointment of the way we played in the four games. We played some really good hockey but were unable to sustain the level needed to win.

We were out played in Game 4, third period. Didn't create scoring chances. We didn't play with composure, a little bit chaotic. Also dealing with the fact that "we lost our edge once we got into the playoffs." We have to put the bar from day 1 at the beginning of the year. That's the conversation we're having right now.

Rims: did team let it's guard down after clinching? Or ..

Hitch: No, we spent so much time at 95 to 100 (getting all we could out of each player) we didn't have another gear to play at. When temp of season really went up against StL and Nashville, we were hangin on, ... we were playing at 100 (maxxed out as best we could) and so were they. Detroit was the one team with knowledge, experience (extra gears).

Tom: I appreciate the work you do Jeff. Coach, besides winning, what would you do differently this season if you played it over again?

Hitch: I'm not there yet. Only thing (I would have changed was) the way we would have played Russell on the power play... ie, the way Anaheim plays Neidermeyer...as a rover/forward on the PP.

We have to get better at chemistry issues next year.

Rich: Gotta get it off my chest: we didn't take care of business the last games of the season. 8-4 loss at home against Wild ! We got what we earned because we didn't finish.

Hitch: We weren't gonna win in StL the way they were playing. We didn't play well against Minnie, reasons: when all you talk about in the city is "playoffs, playoffs" it is the buzz for the players too. Last ten games of season, we were playing IN playoff games, we were maxxing out. That's the reality we have every year for this franchise. Each year we have to deal with it, until Detroit drops down, we're all gonna be in this mess with 12 teams beating the heck out of each other. Nothing left with anybody... StL Nashville... worn out.

Rims: You once said "we're building this team for the long haul."

Hitch: That's the reason you play Vorachek and Russell and Brassard and Filatov....to grow your team long term. This is why we didn't go out and get a 36 yr old defenseman.
Not a one and done like Atlanta.

Tim: Your take on Anaheim Detroit series. Travel advantages? West or East?

Hitch: The "older" team is the one it has the biggest disadvantage with travel. In Dallas, we had older team, and travel really damaged our team. Detroit will have the negative impact with travel. The longer a series goes, the worse it goes for Detroit, that's why they put value in closing you out when they get the chance.

Rims: Elias sports bureau says Game 4 was first time a team has come back twice from 2 goal deficit in Stanley Playoff history.

Prior to game 4 I spoke for a half hour with Ken Holland/Detroit. He says they actually raise the bar defensively.

Hitch: Detroit coasted last 15 games. And they know how to dial it up. We're just learning how to do that. Us and Chicago are probably the two teams in the division who can catch them (in the future).

Eddie Ol'CHUCK joins the show with Hitch:
Vancouver, blah blah blah.

Hitch: I was telling Rims, yada yada....
Eddie.... calgary, Blackhawks, Khabi...boolyah.
Rims: Khabi vs Roberto
Eddie: it will come down to goal tending. Low scoring.
Hitch: Chic and Van Buildings are the two loudest in the season.
Eddie: (wasn't listening). "It's gonna be great."

Hitch: I'm going to go to some games. "Pittsburgh - Wash is the one for me."

Rims: Coach should I be back next season?

Hitch: This is really for Scott to decide. I just make the line-ups and sweep the locker room.

Last edited by JACKETfan: 04-30-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old
04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I think we can all sense the moment the seventh rum and coke took hold, Jf!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:59 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

It is Wednesday...

Old
05-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
It is Wednesday...
He's playing golf in the Bahama's with JF and Rimer...

Old
05-07-2009, 12:13 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Bahamas? That's like 400 miles from here.

Besides...I've given up golf for fishin. Fewer injuries. Less expensive.

I'll make up a show if there wasn't one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
05-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

I'll make up a show if there wasn't one.
This is what I was hoping.

Old
05-08-2009, 09:40 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Transcript of the latest show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
This is what I was hoping.
"Approximately" what Hitch and Rims said this past Wednesday...

Rims: Weekly visits rounds with Hitch to continue through Cup Finals.

Hitch: Re: Carolina win v NJ. Tiger vs Phil. Says "NJ Phil will be in shock for months." Never a worse feeling than losing your season putter at home Double Eagle. It's a physical illness that comes over you... for a long time.

Rims: talking to the guys this week....exit interviews
Hitch: We've stayed away from talking to the older veteran guys about how the season ended. losing two weeks of their golf season to the playoffs. It was too raw and too fresh. We're still dealing with disappointment of the way we played in the four games. We played some really good hockey golf but were unable to sustain the level needed to win.

We were out played in Game 4, third period. Didn't create scoring chances. We didn't play with composure, a little bit chaotic. Also dealing with the fact that "we lost our edge once we got into the playoffs." We have to put the bar from day 1 at the beginning of the year. That's the conversation we're having right now -about putting a bar in the lockerroom.

Rims: did the team clinch let it's guard down after clinching? Or ..

Hitch: No, we just spent so much time at 95 to 100 getting all we could out of each player hole. We didn't have another gear to play at. any more mulligans. Golf is a cold *****.

Tom: I appreciate the work you do Jeff. And predict you will be re-signed. Now Coach, besides winning, what would you do differently this season if you played it over again?

Hitch: I'm not there yet. Only thing (I would have changed was) the way we would have played Russell on the power play... ie, the way Anaheim plays Neidermeyer...as a rover/forward on the PP.
We have to get better at chemistry issues next year.
--Me and Gord are holed up in a Holiday Inn Express in Saskatoon with our PS3, a copy of NHL 08, a case of Beefeater's gin, and several bags of Humpty Dumpty Rigolos (ranch) trying to figure out where we went wrong.

Rich: We got what we earned because we didn't finish.

Hitch: I totally agree. That's why Gare has to go.

Rims: You once said "we're building this team for the long haul."

Hitch: No, I don't recall ever saying that.

Tim: Your take on Anaheim Detroit series. Travel advantages? West or East?

Hitch: The "older" team is the one it has the biggest disadvantage with travel. In Dallas, we had older team, and travel really damaged our team. Detroit will have the negative impact with travel. The longer a series goes, the worse it goes for Detroit.

I'm a hockey god, so you can take this to the bank. Ducks in 4.

Rims: Prior to game 4 I spoke for a half hour with Ken Holland/Detroit. He says they actually raise the bar defensively.

Hitch: Detroit coasted sucked last 15 games. And they know how to dial it up. We're just learning how to do that. Us and Chicago are probably the two teams in the division who can catch them (in the future).
Like i said earlier, we've got the "bar thing" taken care of.

Eddie Ol'CHUCK joins the show with Hitch:
Vancouver, blah blah blah.
Hitch: I was telling Rims, yada yada....
Eddie.... calgary, Blackhawks, Khabi...boolyah.
Eddie: it will come down to goal tending. Low scoring.
Hitch: Chic and Van Buildings are the two loudest in the season.
Eddie: (wasn't listening). "It's gonna be great."
Hitch: I'm going to go to some games. "Pittsburgh - Wash is the one for me."

Don Grapes Cherry joins the show with Hitch:
Grapes: blah blah blah, my little dog.
Hitch: I was telling Rims, yada yada
Grapes: Canadian hockey sucks. Canucks our last hope. Canucks will lose. Nash will be traded to Toronto to save the day.
Hitch: Bill and George are computer generated voices.
Grapes: My jacket is loud.
Rims: Great show everybody, but only if I still have a job.

Rims: Coach should I be back next season?
Hitch: This is really for Scott to decide. I just make the line-ups and sweep the locker room. If it were up to me, no.

Old
05-08-2009, 10:26 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
With the puck on his stick, Filatov is ready. The problem comes when it is not. Our Syrcuse correspondents have well documented his drifting without the puck and weak defensive play. He doesn't give his all. In addition, he's 170 pounds. To toss him to the Detroit lions would not be the best thing for the team or his development.
Actually, tossing him to the Detroit Lions would insure that nobody would hit him!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Bump - it is Wednesday...

Old
05-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 200
Last Coach's Show Today

Last show today per bluejackets.com

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:58 PM
LaCosta Nostra

When does the show fire back up?

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:12 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
When does the show fire back up?
Third or 4th week of september, but it won't be until 5:30. Game days, the show will be pre-recorded.

Looks like it might be later than 5:30...closer to 6...

Last edited by hashmarks: 08-18-2009 at 04:18 PM.
hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote