HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Coaches Show 7pm Eastern, Wednesdays on 1460 The Fan & 97.1 The Fan Act III

Old
09-19-2009, 12:40 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Update anyone?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:13 PM
darrmd

sept 30 6pm is the first one

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:38 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrmd View Post
sept 30 6pm is the first one
Just heard that they were moving the show to 6:00 PM, earlier this week.

I've given Fanboy Radio as much grief as anyone for not acknowledging more often that we have a major-league sports team in town. So I'll hop on board with giving credit where it is due. Air the show when more people can listen ot it ... good stuff!

jacketracket* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:41 AM
LaCosta Nostra

So first show is tomorrow at 6PM. Heard Hitch pimping it himself in a promo last night. Anyone going to be doing the transcription again this season? BC, Matthew, other?

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
So first show is tomorrow at 6PM. Heard Hitch pimping it himself in a promo last night. Anyone going to be doing the transcription again this season? BC, Matthew, other?
I'll do it tomorrow. Can't wait to hear what Hitch has to say about the upcoming season.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:24 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks, BC, I'd rather read your transcript than actually listen to the broadcast!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Amen, Pete. I love reading the summaries.

Old
09-30-2009, 12:10 PM
HillbillyJacketsFan

How is this going to work when we have Wednesday games? I guess Hitch and Rimer won't be there and it will be a hockey talk show hosted by Torgerson?

HillbillyJacketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:12 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyJacketsFan View Post
How is this going to work when we have Wednesday games? I guess Hitch and Rimer won't be there and it will be a hockey talk show hosted by Torgerson?
Never thought about that... good question. Or they'll record the show earlier in the day and "replay" it at 6:00?

Old
09-30-2009, 01:51 PM
mokkan88

Spielman and Co. on the radio talking about the Blue Jackets. Current topic is our new defenseman Mike Commodore and when Derrick Brassard will be healthy.

mokkan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Matt

Gameday programs will be prerecorded

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:33 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
Never thought about that... good question. Or they'll record the show earlier in the day and "replay" it at 6:00?
Yes.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:09 PM
mokkan88

Show on now. So far some talk on special teams play. Hitch thinks that despite doing well in the preseason, he expects it'll be about 20 games in before he's confident in the power play/penalty kill.

mokkan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
lamdeveg

Send a message via AIM to lamdeveg Send a message via Yahoo to lamdeveg
Yay! Got in first call regarding play in crease! Love to hear Hitch wants a presence there every shift!!!

lamdeveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Brassard Calder

alright guys and gals just editing my copy from the show so far then ill post the first two segments...

Old
09-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Brassard Calder

**1st Segment**

Rimmer with Hitch

R: Pair of tickets to give away to Saturday nights game. Select upper and lower bowl seats still available

R: Were here each and every wednesday night at six now.

R: Are you satisfied where club is at now after the preseason?

H: The last two days of practice have been great. The guys are excited were gonna try to have a meat and potatoes day tomorrow. Friday will be short just keep the energy up. bulk of our work will be done tomorrow after that we will do some timing drills and little bit of walk through. this has been a great week of practice and team building. Commodore and huselius back guys are looking forward to getting the season going.

R: Great to see juice back and chimera, do you expect all three in lineup

H: Yeah I do I was little worried about commodore and huselius flu knocked them down a few days but both back close to playing weight. talked to them after practice they feel good.

R: Do you put much creedence into preseason record performance, what jumps off page to me is the PP, jackets on PP were 13th overall do you put much credence into it?

H: I don’t put much credence into the number I put it into the threat we are a lot more dangerous now we changed our strategies we spent an unbelievable amount of tim eon it we are trying to make the reaction time quicker, make better decisions, idk if you can judge whether or not it will be better until live competition, cant judge your PP or special teams until 20 games, after first 20 games you get a good evaluation of where you are and what you’ll be, we were decent on it last year but missed a lot of no brainer chances we did not get good production from our second unit compared to teams that had success that’s where we need to get better, went dry for months last year, most depth weve eve rhad can use more guy sin more spots

R: Jackets acquired Stralman from Calgary visa issues is there any update on him when he could get in?

H: The indication I got from Scott is they are hopeful hed be here for Friday practice, havent heard anything in last few hours though, were hopeful but not banking on it right now hes been through a lot just had a baby just got moved into Calgary now tryin to move out when he gets here he gets here and we will move from there for us to think about him playing him Saturday he would have to be here Friday wouldn’t put him in lineup if he arrives Saturday not fair to him.

R: What are you looking for improvement wise from the team this year?

H: I want us to be more consistently dangerous offensively, I want us to have more depth in scoring I want us to be more dependable defensively, we were too unpredictable defensively last season we need to be very consistent our reads to be automatic and strong everyone on same page I want us to be able to go more harder areas to score, with the way the league is the players are used to the referees now they let us play in exhibition if they do that 5 on 5 will be even more important, we need to be a lot more determined in scoring areas and more consistent in defensive areas.

Last edited by Brassard Calder: 09-30-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old
09-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Brassard Calder

**2nd Segment**

2nd segment….

Caller Scott: Thank god for another season. You always preach about playing in hard areas. Who will be our holmstorm guy in crease?

H: You want everyone to be able to play in there, Detroit uses franzen and Holmstrom to play near the net on PP, teams that are successful offensively have at least one player on every line that goes in that area, were looking for at least one guy on each line, Detroit designates a guy were doing some similar things, I think thats the only way you can score. it cant be a grey area who is going to play at or near the net, we want everyone to create more traffic and adversity for opposing goalies.

Caller Curtis: Hi coach I was wondering if you thought the strength of the division will help or hurt our chances to make the playoffs?

H: It hurts because our team is reaching its prime. players are at the right age now to make a push but were at the exact same place as Chicago and Detroit. Nashville I dont know about, but on their defense they are. This year we only have one first year player coming into the group and that’s it, Blunden is experienced pro at 24 years old though, it makes it a lot harder if theres a bunch of teams that are good.

R: That said how important is good start in Oct?

H: More magnified for us because of all the road games early we have to play really well on the road were playing good team son the road it will be a great challenge we have two significant road trips right off the bat

Caller Pat: Coach what woul dbe your third and fourth line right now who woul dbe on the wings how close was it for Sestito makin gthe team this year I thought he has improved a lot in the past year.

H: I really agree with that on Tommy, when he first came to camp struggled with the pace and conditioning but now he is right on the edge of making the hockey club the coaching staff really trusts him as a player. A little emore experience in the AHL where he can play a full season will do him good. Injuries have hampered his development. he just needs to stay healthy. if he stays healthy the first half of the season down in Syracuse theres no reason he couldnt push for a spot up here the second part of this season.

Right now I have

Chimera-Pahlsson-Umberger

Torres-Murray-Dorsett/Boll

as the third and fourth lines.

We fell like we got four lines that we can come at you with there isn’t a player that cant play 10 plus mins a game, murray will play PK Torres will play PP.

Last edited by Brassard Calder: 09-30-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old
09-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Brassard Calder

Im working on fixing all the typos just wanna get it up as fast as I can for all of you!

Old
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
lamdeveg

Send a message via AIM to lamdeveg Send a message via Yahoo to lamdeveg
Let's talk Jackets! Screw the book sales pitch! Guess that's the price we pay for getting big name contributors to chime in

lamdeveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

thx BC....awesome job!

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
Im working on fixing all the typos just wanna get it up as fast as I can for all of you!
Don't worry about the typos can read it fine. Thanx for the work

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Brassard Calder

**3rd Segment**

Bob McKenzie joins Rimmer and Hitch...

R: Couldn’t find your book in barnes and noble today

M: Thats what you get for not living in Canada its all over up here...Hockey Dad True Confessions of a Crazy Hockey Parent.

H: did you enjoy the experience writing the book

M: yeah its like self examination you should write your own book when your done coaching

M My one son is playing at St Lawrence university my younger son had to quit hockey because of concussion issues, the book talks about some highs and lows and how I handled everything. Anyone who has a kid that plays a sport with a parent that takes it too seriously this is a book I think they would like too.

H: I coached midget hockey, I went back and watched a tournament here in Columbus the other day. I talked to some of the parents I couldn’t believe how good the skill level was what astounded me though was the kids practice four times a week and practice 330-6pm. They have an hour and half on ice hour half to two hours off couldn’t believe how demanding the schedule was compared to when I was there. amazing how well conditioned and prepared the players are its almost a full time job if you’re a young player trying to grow up in this game now adays.

M: your right maybe that is one of the problems I hope most people come away with it looking back on it and say yeah there were ups and downs but at the end of the day it was a real positive experience, I have a really suportive wife two great kids, and it was really a positive my kids have friends and relationships for a lifetime because of hockey

R: heard you on NHL Live talking about the Jackets and where you see them…preseason forecasts arent giving us much love

M: I see them as a playoff team right now. They are on the bubble again. I think they make it as long as the coach doesn’t screw it up haha. I like the young players third and fourth lines have some bite and size never good to bet against Rick Nash defense needs to be greater than sum of its parts like carolina was when they won the cup…I see Vancouver Calgary, Detroit Chicago as guaranteed playoff teams, san jose and Anaheim too. I like st louis and the jackets to make it as well. Those are my 8 playoff teams right now in the West.

R scouting report on Anton Stralman

M: puck mover not a huge guy but provides first pass ability and skating ability not a deficiency in five on five wont win Norris trophy but reads the play well with the puck not a liability without it can fit in at 6 or 7th hole and provide depth on blueline

H what now in Phoenix?

M bottom line bankruptcy court washed its hands of Balsillie. cant come back here and give another bid he can appeal the decision but were done with you they said, told the NHL rejecting their bid too but the NHL can come back with a different or restructured deal that may be looked upon favorably, door is wide open for NHL to come up with someone to buy the franchise, as of now Balsillie is out of running, league will examine its options and offer to see if the judge may approve their bid then they can sell it clear to whoever they want whenever they want

R does balsillie walk away?

M my guess is he appeals, legal fees is only thing he has to lose, uphill battle for him from here though.

H what about the stuff going on in Europe the attraction what do you hear about playing more games there is it more popular over there are we do you see it as positive?

M if your team is going its quite a responsibility a lot of travel might help you off ice with bonding but most of the teams have struggled when they come back its something clubs have to do as being a citizen for NHL the NHL believes theres an economic advantage to going over whether that’s with branding selling sweaters or potentially expanding in the future, players and teams oblige to go, it will be interesting to see hwo the individual teams respond to the jet lag.

R Bob speaking of teams going this year three from central division that might work to Jackets advantage

M yeah absolutely take full advantage to whatever you got, coach has a lot of time here to work with his team, you gotta believe the red wings are playing where they want to be in Sweden most of there team is form there they might enjoy it more than other teams.

H we had a lot of good rookies last year brass, mason, voracek, where do you think the top rookies will play this year…

M Hedman in tampa keep eye on him, they played him more tan 27 mins a game in the preseason, hes a pro now has been for last year playing in Swedish elite league, I think he will do great wont be blown away by palying against men, Tavares in NYI, dangerous from bluelien down, Duchene in Colorado he is a great all around palyer has great feel for game, Victor Stralberg in Toronto played three full years at Vermont, he and matt Gilroy by far best players in college I saw in person, hes real deal elite level skater very fast great shot great nose for net I think he will score often

Old
09-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Brassard Calder

**4th Segment**

R: Programming note...When the Jackets play on Wednesday evenings we wont be here….Jackets have seven such occassions.

Caller Stan: Lookin forward to new season. PP performance would you say your spending most time on improving scheme or execution?

H: Scheme more than execution. Execution will have to baptism under fire. We look good in practice now we wanna see how it is against real PK guys. We have made a lot of changes to scheme. Looks like we have a lot more threats than in the past but we gotta see if it works in the real season. We only had two games in the preseason against real PK units but we looked good in those games which have buoyed our hopes. We havent gone a day where we havent worked on at least one aspect of the PP.

R: the PK havent discussed it much here. Your impressions of Pahlsson?

H: I was thinking today as I am watching him kill penalties you realize how good a player he is. When I watched him positionally with his body and stick his competitiveness I thought to myself when you have players like that that’s why you have great PK its not so much the scheme it’s the personnel the little things he does impacts the PK tremendously he rubs off on other palyers. So smart and so good with his stick he puts the PP people in vulnerable position. Its amazing to me how good he is I think its gonna make the whole group better.

Caller Robert: As young as Brass and Nik are is there a concern they will run into a wall so to speak in February and March?

H: for us right now with young players we did the same thing with voracek last year and brassard, derick was in the two or four hole to start out second or foruth line center depending on game and circumstance, what we have going for us is flexibility in our roster for us especially with filatove one game at a time lets see where he gets to theres gonn abe nights where size will be a factor and maybe that’s where we have to scale him back but we will have the flexibility to sit him out and not play him in eveyr situation eveyr night. Filatov for me proved in the last few games he can play in the NHL whether he can play 82 games in a season were gonna find out. He really showed at the end that hes ready to play and hes gonn ahelp us in some areas but were gonn ahave to protect him just like we did with brassard and voracek.

Caller Pete: Good evening. I like the new 6 pm timeslot. Coach, when you have a couple players stick around training camp longer than expected whats your though process evaluating the players.

H: as long as the player is going up the ladder not down we want to give him as much experience as possible, a guy like john Moore kept getting better and really pushed for a spot on the roster we felt it better he played in junior this year but were more than glad to continue to have players here that continue to improve, if it looks like they are getting overwhelmed want to get them out while they are still feeling good about themselves. Don’t want players concerned whether they can keep up with pace.

R: Pete you get the tickets.

Caller Nick: I know you won the cup with Dallas, and took Philly to the playoffs, hows the attitude in the locker-room here compared to those teams?

H: this group has the same feel that the team did in Philadelphia. The team had an attitude of hungry for more. that’s what we have here now. Its been very impressive to me have had it since day one of training camp the way we have played practiced and carried ourselves they are hungry to learn want to get better it’s a terrific attitude I really like it right now I like our players disposition right now they are pushing each other we have had some great leadership, good vibe around the team right now we know we are going to be in the mix.

R: how much of it is based on making the playoffs last year or you just raising the bar?

H: I think it started with Scott he raised the bar tremendously he felt like this is a group we can expect more from he expects more from me from the team from himself, we are carrying on his message and I think the players realize we have a good group here they really get along well together and they know were better. We had a lot of guys come in and out last year, brass out filatov vermette Paulson bludnen weren’t here these are significant guys that help our team that weren’t here last year. I think we are a lot better than people think we are. I think we are a lot better than anybody believes. When you do the things we did in exhibition I think some of it is genuine and real and will come out in the real season. We need to prove it on the ice. But I think we are a big notch higher than last year.

R: Jackets surprise teams last year wont be able to now?

H: I agree I think we will have the attention of the top teams now. There wont be any free passes. I really believe we are going to play a lot better against the Nashville's, Minnesota's, and St Louis’

R: Saturday night Jackets Wild hope to see you there Good luck caoch.

H: Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Brassard Calder: 09-30-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old
09-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Brassard Calder

I hope that all reads okay. I know theres not a lot of punctuation or anything lol. And theres probably some spelling errors still that I havent fixed. If anyone has any questions or needs clarification about something I wrote just ask and I'll do my best to answer it.

Hitch really loves this team. He believes we can be very very good. The way he was talking about the team has me even more exciting for the season. He was gushing about our potential.

Old
09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
I hope that all reads okay. I know theres not a lot of punctuation or anything lol. And theres probably some spelling errors still that I havent fixed. If anyone has any questions or needs clarification about something I wrote just ask and I'll do my best to answer it.

Hitch really loves this team. He believes we can be very very good. The way he was talking about the team has me even more exciting for the season. He was gushing about our potential.
Good job, I had to skim it due to dinner but Hitch does sound postive... Thanks

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote