HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Coaches Show 7pm Eastern, Wednesdays on 1460 The Fan & 97.1 The Fan Act III

Old
09-30-2009, 07:27 PM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Thanks. Looks like Filatov will play on the 2nd line against teams that aren't as physical/big.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:48 PM
hashmarks

Thanks for the recap.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:40 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Well done BC..

your transcript reads very well, it does sound like Hitch likes this team. This is the most talented group we have ever had. It's probably 5 years overdue.. but good on ya Scotty for such a quick turn around.

Not to high, not to low.. always heavy

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:46 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Bump.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

shouldn't the thread title change to 6pm?

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:55 PM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
was just about to suggest that too.

BJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Done.

10-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Brassard Calder

I wont be able to recap the show today, won't be out of work in time. Hopefully someone else can.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
I wont be able to recap the show today, won't be out of work in time. Hopefully someone else can.
I'll do it.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:37 PM
eljefe72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
aRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I'll do it.
I'll thank you in advance because I will be out and relying on the transcript

aRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 04:46 PM
mossylog
Go jackets

so i was driving home from dinner at the parents house and i turned on 97.1 i barely get this station out here in zville, and who is the toolbag that interviewed jake? what an idiot. after the entire interview got done, he said i didn't understand a word he said. now how many of you can understand what a football or basketball player ever says. these guys are a joke

mossylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

**First Segment with Scott Torgerson and Ken Hitchcock**

Torg: Jeff Rimer will join me for the 2nd half of the show. Hitch: thoughts on season so far?

Hitch: we've been resiliant. Found a way to win games. Overall we know we can play better and will play better. Have done some good things off the rush and have created some nice opportunities for ourselves. Players feel like in order to create more, we have to be better defensively. Need better communication on the back check. We beat a team that was desperate and in their own building and get a nother one next game.

T: Vancouver off to bad start. Were very good early in that game. How do you get the players to not get caught up in that physical play the Cancucks brought?

H: It's all about maintaining your focus. We had 3 guys on the ice down here. We've seen this before. Trainer said Boller looked ok, and probably wasn't as bad as we thought. The 1st period was the best period we've played all year. Did a good job taking on their momentum. Didn't let them storm us.

T: Very tough to start season with this early road trip. 3 straight home openers. Going to be very tough stretch.

H: It's really hard, but educational. You learn a lot about yourself in these games. Very close to playoff games. Finding out what we are good at, and what we need to improve on. Players enjoy the atmosphere.

T: How is Commodore?

H: We shut him down for a few days. Wasn't getting better, so we took him off the ice. We're going to stay with this for a couple of days before we get going. He wasn't progressing enough to train hard. Will probably get back on the ice in Phoenix.

T: Who is Stralman replacing?

H: Not sure yet. Stralman said he felt just OK today. If he feels decent tomorrow, I think we'll put him in. Not sure who we'll take out because he wasn't 100 percent sure he was OK to play. Probably either Methot or Russell, but not sure on that now.

T: Garon to play one of these games. Will it be Phoenix?

H: Yes. Told Garon he will play Phoenix. Want to stay on consistant basis with him. Can't give him long breaks. Want to get him a game once a week or 10 days. Stay consistant with his rotation.

**end 1st segment**

Old
10-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

**Second Segment with Scott Torgerson and Ken Hitchcock**

T: Rims to join next segment. This is Hitch's last segment. Keys to victory in San Jose? Weird to match up against Malhotra?

H: A little bit. He's playing awful well. Going to be a little different. Their top players are very good. Gotta keep it 5 on 5. Gotta do whatever we can to keep them off the PP. Can't let guys like Boyle and Blake dominate the game like they have in the past. Boyle is one of the best mobile and reckless player in the league. Nabakov hasn't been that great out of the gate. If we can jump on them early, maybe we can get something going. Need to keep the big line off the board.

T: Thoughts on Phoenix?

H: They aren't young team anymore. Org. Decided they want to win now. 3 players sent down to minors and replaced with likes of Prucha, Aucoin, etc. Probably 3 or 4 years older on average than our team. Their whole focus is this year and getting to the playoffs.

CallerChad: Biggest difference between this team and last years team?

Hitch: Depth. Competitive Depth. Have the potential to have deeper team than we've ever had before. having 6 or 7 Offensive players really contributing. D has stepped up. Can stay with more expreienced teams more than the past. No longer need good teams to have off night for a chance to win.

T: Have you noticed a different locker room atmosphere since your 1st day?

H: Team is really tight. Team are all friends. Not afraid to demand more of each other if needed. These are good qualities.

T: Good goals from the point. Team has good drive to the net, guys ready for rebounds.

H: That's how you score now. Gotta have guys around the net. Used to just get boxed out from net, different rules allow guys to get there. If players are willing to get there and stay there, you can get some goals.

T: How do you combat that, though?

H: Have to be able to block the shots from further out. Needed guys to block more shots in Vancouver. There were too many point shots that got through. A lot of times, it's the forwards responsibility. Hoping to get a lot better at that tomorrow.

CallerKenny: Filatov averaging little ice time. When will we see him unleashed?

H: I don't think he's there yet. Not up to the speed yet to play more minutes than he is right now. Smaller guy who is learning to play. As time moves on, he'll get more minutes just like guys like Stamkos. Learning what it's like to be a pro hockey player. Has shown flashes. Late in the game with a small league, he won't be in the game. He's just gonna learn for now. It's what we did with Brass and Jake last night. Their minutes increased, and that's what will happen with Nikita. Some nights it will be 9 or 10 minutes. Some nights 13-14 minutes.

CallerChris: Scheduling: Heavy amount of away games early. Is it randomly generated? How is it generated? How do they decide who gets goals when it's deflected?

H: Scheduling is set up by the league. You give them the dates available in your building and they set it up from there. The travel is also made from those dates. In our case, some buildings out west have really busy Novembers and Decembers, so we have to go there now. All goals are reviewed the next day or that night. We made a formal request for the Torres goal to be reviewed. It was accepted. We knew he deflected it, so we asked them to review it. The first goal we scored, which was short handed we wanted them to review that too.

T: Any last words?

H: Brass to and Vermette to switch.

T: Vermette and Nash seem to have good chemistry.

H: Maybe we overloaded Brassard after coming back from injury this early in the season. Like our matchups with Vermette and Nash against other teams top lines.

T: Rimer to join me for the rest of the shows.

**end 2nd segment. Last segment for Hitch**

Old
10-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

**Third Segment with Scott Torgerson and Jeff Rimer**

T: Jeff Rimer joining me now. Thoughts on the season so far?

Rims: Still room for improvement, despite team not getting love around the media, this is a special team and can do some damage in the league. Getting great goaltending. A very big win in Vancouver starting the western swing.

T: Talk about Stralman. Should play soon. Did not mention Roy as a possible person to make room for Stralman.

R: He's a veteran. Has seen NHL action in Edmonton. Looked really steady. Is a right handed shot. Has been physical. The decision will come tomorrow after morning skate. Methot was the extra D-man in practice today. If you want Russell on the PP, he's gotta stay in the game. But Hitch has said Methot has really surprised whole coaching stafff with his play. Hitch likes Stralman's movement of puck. I anticipate Stralman making debut tomorrow night.

T: When will we see Blunden?

R: I think tomorrow.

Lines so far 20-50-61
28-16-93
25-26-18
14- 12-15/40

Boll took part of whole practice, but wouldn't be surpsised to see Dorsett in lineup.

T: Thoughts on Klesla? Best D-man in playoffs. Noticed any differences?

R: He's really stepped up. Really won over a lot of people. Maybe converting some doubters. Had strong preseason.

T: How does the team improve while holding a lead?

R: Team sat back. Especially early in the 3rd period. Need to be more agressive and get the puck out of the zone faster. Hitch wants less time spend in own zone. San Jose's top line is as good as it gets in the NHL. Don't want those guys with the puck. Sharks went 4/4 on the PP last game. Blake and Boyle on the point some of the best D-men on the PP in the league. Phoenix will be no easy game either. Phoenix has soldout the opening night. Phoenix has played well in first few games. Have a great coach in Tippet.

CallerJohn: Puck movement improved?

R: Russell and Methot both have stepped up in that department. Hejda with capable first pass. Looking at Stralman...he has such soft hands. Backhand or forehand pass at blueline all go tape-to-tape and just look effortless.

T: Garon a former starter for 2 teams in NHL before injury problems.

R: Also very good in shootouts. 10 straight shootout wins. Nice to have a guy like Garon who will play a considerable amount of games. Org wants to keep Mason fresh. Garon will play ever 7 to 10 days.

**end of 3rd segment. Missed some talk on Phoenix and Gretz, but you've probably heard everything they said before**

Last edited by Matthew: 10-07-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old
10-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

**4th segment with The Torg and Rims**

T: Davidge working out for you OK?

R: Davidge brings a great dynamic to the booth. Has coached, played, has done it all. Positive response so far.

CallerPatrick: Torres looks like he hasn't even taken summer off. Picking up right where he left off. How long are we going to put up with Chimera? Haven't seen a thing from him so far. Hate to see young talent taking back seat to players like Chimera.

R: Agree on Torres. He's feeling a lot more confident with that knee. Now seeing what was advertised when we acquired him for Gilbert Brule. Going to see him continue to play key role with team. When game gets heavy, get ready to see more Raffi Torres. Chimera disappointed with start. Hitch has said players will earn ice time. Hitch will keep that model for the entire season.

T: Chimera was hurt a lot last year. Gutted it out and played when he probably shouldn't have. Got to give him credit for that.

R: Yes. He plays well against Phoenix. Chimera was snarly after practice, so I am looking to see something from him in the San Jose game. Only 2 cities where Columbus has failed to win in under Hitchcock: San Jose and Nashville. Hitch looking to change that.

**end**

***5th and Final Segment with Rimer and Torgerson***

CallerJohn: Good to see PP goal last night. What is coaching staff doing?

Rims: Stralman to add even more.

CallerDave(?): Lack of blocked shots because of young team?

R: Vancouver was just teeing it up from the point, but have some of the best in the game at doing that. Have to make sure goalie can see the shot, though. That's the main key.

T: odds of Mason making olympic team?

H: Most likely not. Mason is focused only on Blue Jackets right now. Olympics will be open for him down the road, if Olympics stay open to pros.

Torg ends the show by calling out new sideline guy John Michael looking just like Raffi Torres

Last edited by Matthew: 10-07-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old
10-07-2009, 06:27 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Great recap Matthew. Thanks for the work.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:30 PM
skimp

Thanks, Matthew.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:38 PM
mokkan88

Thanks Matt.

Quote:
T: Who is Stralman replacing?

H: Not sure yet. Stralman said he felt just OK today. If he feels decent tomorrow, I think we'll put him in. Not sure who we'll take out because he wasn't 100 percent sure he was OK to play. Probably either Methot or Russell, but not sure on that now.
Guess Roy made an impression, eh? If Roy plays like he did against Van, should we expect him to knock Russell or Methot into the seventh spot long term?

mokkan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:16 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

great recap, thanks matthew!

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:57 PM
CzechMate93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossylog View Post
so i was driving home from dinner at the parents house and i turned on 97.1 i barely get this station out here in zville, and who is the toolbag that interviewed jake? what an idiot. after the entire interview got done, he said i didn't understand a word he said. now how many of you can understand what a football or basketball player ever says. these guys are a joke
Thanks - I heard that too and was pretty irked I was about to email them to tell them what Aholes they are. Torg said last week that Jake is the ugliest guy on our team. Seriously?! Really mature. And then the "common man" said he couldn't understand what Jake said. Then get a freakin q-tip and clean your ears. Jake has an accent, but his English is really good. Its just rude!

CzechMate93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
I'll do it.
Thanks. Great recap!

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:28 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Awesome recap Matt = thanks for doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJalltheway View Post
Thanks - I heard that too and was pretty irked I was about to email them to tell them what Aholes they are. Torg said last week that Jake is the ugliest guy on our team. Seriously?! Really mature. And then the "common man" said he couldn't understand what Jake said. Then get a freakin q-tip and clean your ears. Jake has an accent, but his English is really good. Its just rude!

Liz, call Lori Schmidt the program director and have them cut that crap out. She is pretty good at giving them the business.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
CzechMate93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post

Liz, call Lori Schmidt the program director and have them cut that crap out. She is pretty good at giving them the business.
Good idea, that might do more good. It's one thing to call someone ugly - that's just stupid - but to say you couldn't understand the guy right after the interview, thats rude. Let's see how often they get players to do interviews for them. Jake's interview was hilarious anyway. Maybe its all lost on the "common man".

CzechMate93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:57 AM
Raymones

Thanks for the recap Matthew. Great work!

Nice to see Strålman making an impression with his passing skills. Looking forward to see him making his debut. Hopefully tomorrow then.

4.30 am tomorrow, what else is there to do?

Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote