HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Simon Gagne

Old
04-09-2009, 01:38 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencaid View Post
are the kings not looking for a 1st line forward? can we combine this thread with the other trade proposal b/w Phi - LA. A straight up 1st for gagne seems a little low imo, maybe 1st + prospect/3rd liner for Simon. This would get rid of some cap space for the flyers.

However instead of dumping gagne, why not try and get Danny Briere back over to the sabres? This would also open up some cap space. Just throwing alternatives out there.
Cap space isn't really an issue, as long as the Flyers don't take back more in salary than they send out. We'd be cap-compliant getting rid of one of Jones or Carle, and either re-signing Knuble and keeping JVR on the Phantoms, or letting Knuble walk and bringing JVR up. Frankly, I think we need to deal Lupul and Jones, either separately or together.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:42 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
So you're going to trade the Kings 1st and a blue chip prospect for Gagne's rights when he's about to become a free agent?

Because quite frankly that's about all you're going to get.
Umm, Gagne is signed through 2011, he's not a pending UFA.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Zal

So I'm seeing two threads going for both Hartnell and Gagne. Flyers fans, if you had the choice, which would you take? I know you want both. I'm asking if you could only keep one of them..

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:20 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Umm, Gagne is signed through 2011, he's not a pending UFA.
That's the point. I'm not giving up Gagne with a chunk left on his contract for garbage. If we can't sign him when his contract is up (and I'm fairly confident the Flyers will re-sign him), then it's going to take more than what that guy offered just for his rights.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
So I'm seeing two threads going for both Hartnell and Gagne. Flyers fans, if you had the choice, which would you take? I know you want both. I'm asking if you could only keep one of them..
Gagne is a little more important to this team. His play in both ends is vital with our defensive core (Alberts-Jones ) and he puts up quite a lot of goals. 121 goals in 3 full seasons (with a season missed because of a concussion) is really good. Not many NHLers can claim that kind of status.

Don't miss it though. Hartnell is unbelievably awesome for us. He takes some stupid penalties sometimes, but he does make up for it.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
That's the point. I'm not giving up Gagne with a chunk left on his contract for garbage. If we can't sign him when his contract is up (and I'm fairly confident the Flyers will re-sign him), then it's going to take more than what that guy offered just for his rights.
Wait, you think Gagne's negotiation rights just before he is a UFA would be worth more than a top 5-7 pick in the draft?

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Gagne eh? I wonder what Vancouver could offer...

Schnieder would probably be a given a long with a first. But, I don't see that being enough.

What does Philly need aside from a goalie? No point in offering forwards... I guess maybe defensive prospects? We don't have much in that category at all.. Damn haha

Or assuming Luongo won't re-sign this offseason you guys can have him for one of Richards or Carter and Gagne

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
At this point I keep Hartnell. Looking at the Flyers lineup and prospect system there aren't really any players like Hartnell there (there aren't many in the league) and I think he brings a great deal to winning night in and night out.

Gagne is a GREAT two way player who can score and pass. Well we've got Richards, Giroux is coming along quickly, Carter's passing has improved, and JVR is in the pipeline.

Gagne is much more replaceable then Hartnell imo

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:47 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
At this point I keep Hartnell. Looking at the Flyers lineup and prospect system there aren't really any players like Hartnell there (there aren't many in the league) and I think he brings a great deal to winning night in and night out.

Gagne is a GREAT two way player who can score and pass. Well we've got Richards, Giroux is coming along quickly, Carter's passing has improved, and JVR is in the pipeline.

Gagne is much more replaceable then Hartnell imo
I'm thinking the same. Giroux is the new Gagne, but he is a much more of a playmaker than a goalscorer...though both are still good in the other department as well.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

To Phi- Kevin Bieksa, Cory Schneider
To Van- Simon Gagne

Bieksa's style would endear him to Flyer fans in a hurry and at $3.75mil is affordable for a guy that can log 1st pairing minutes in all situations. Cory Schneider was just voted AHL goaltender of the year and should be in the NHL next season.

Vancouver gets a speedy, skilled winger to play alongside Kesler on the 2nd line. Kesler and Gagne would form 2/3 of an excellent defensive line that could match up against anybody in the West.

*I would only do this deal from Vancouver's POV if they either signed Bouwmeester or Matt Gilroy.*

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
To Van- Simon Gagne

Bieksa's style would endear him to Flyer fans in a hurry and at $3.75mil is affordable for a guy that can log 1st pairing minutes in all situations. Cory Schneider was just voted AHL goaltender of the year and should be in the NHL next season.

Vancouver gets a speedy, skilled winger to play alongside Kesler on the 2nd line. Kesler and Gagne would form 2/3 of an excellent defensive line that could match up against anybody in the West.

*I would only do this deal from Vancouver's POV if they either signed Bouwmeester or Matt Gilroy.*

That would be an enticing deal to me as a Flyers fan. Do you think that Schneider would be a good option as the backup next season?

Old
04-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
That would be an enticing deal to me as a Flyers fan. Do you think that Schneider would be a good option as the backup next season?
You would have to think after winning AHL goaltender of the year he's proven all he can at that level. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be able to step into a backup role next year. He's big, technically sound, quick and a very mature kid. There would be an adjustment period but the guy has a ton of potential.

IMO the deal only makes sense for Vancouver if Luongo agrees to an extension and someone is brought in to replace Bieksa's minutes. If Gilroy and Bouwmeester both fall through Vancouver doesn't have the depth to lose a top 4 defenseman, assuming Mattias Ohlund's days in Vancouver are numbered.

Old
04-09-2009, 06:07 PM
ELab2

Quote:
To Van- Simon Gagne

I'd do that from a Flyers perspective.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Philadelphia Flames

Quote:
To Van- Simon Gagne

I would do that from Flyers perspective. Free up some cap space to resign parent, coburn, and give Carter a raise in 2 years. I like Gagne very much, but can't pass on a deal like this.

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:19 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
I would do that from Flyers perspective. Free up some cap space to resign parent, coburn, and give Carter a raise in 2 years. I like Gagne very much, but can't pass on a deal like this.

The deal itself doesn't clear much cap space, but we'd have two roster spots covered. I think Schneider and Bieksa together would be $4.834 million, so it would be a savings of only $400K. Of course, Jones or Carle would have to be disappeared, too.

Old
04-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Tom Gilbert, Devan Dubnyk, 1st round pick 2010, Rob Schremp
for
Simon Gagne, 3rd round pick 2010.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Tom Gilbert, Devan Dubnyk, 1st round pick 2010, Rob Schremp
for
Simon Gagne, 3rd round pick 2010.
With the way the Oilers finished the season they won't be willing to move a 2010 1st rd pick. Too much risk.

Gilbert is butter soft. Not a Philadelphia type player.

If Shremp can't crack the Oilers forward corps he likely wouldn't come close to doing so in Philly.

Dubnyk is a decent prospect but doesn't have much value.

Old
04-10-2009, 12:58 AM
phlocky

Quote:
To Van- Simon Gagne

Bieksa is a good dman but honestly, he's not what we need. Adding him to our defense would push one of Carle, Coburn or Parent to the bottom pairing and that's a waste of their talents. We'd have to move somebody so it really doesn't make sense to us. We'd probably be better off having you keep him and us getting a 2009 1st instead.

What would be ideal from a Flyers perspective would be to get a #1 goalie (Schneider would be the backup next year and the #1 after that most likely), a high pick (2009 1st), and a cheap 3rd line wing (kind of a throw in but rounds out our top 9). The Flyers could then replace Gagne's roster spot with JVR, they'd have the money to resign Nitty and Knuble, and Sbisa could replace Alberts if he doesn't resign here. The Flyers lineup would be as follows:

Harnell - Carter - Lupul
Briere - Richards - Knuble
JVR - Giroux - player X from Vanc
Cote/Carcillo - Powe - Asham

Timonen - Parent
Coburn - Carle
Sbisa - Jones

Nitty/Schneider

That would probably put us at right around 52 mil

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:56 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Bieksa is a good dman but honestly, he's not what we need. Adding him to our defense would push one of Carle, Coburn or Parent to the bottom pairing and that's a waste of their talents. We'd have to move somebody so it really doesn't make sense to us. We'd probably be better off having you keep him and us getting a 2009 1st instead.

What would be ideal from a Flyers perspective would be to get a #1 goalie (Schneider would be the backup next year and the #1 after that most likely), a high pick (2009 1st), and a cheap 3rd line wing (kind of a throw in but rounds out our top 9). The Flyers could then replace Gagne's roster spot with JVR, they'd have the money to resign Nitty and Knuble, and Sbisa could replace Alberts if he doesn't resign here. The Flyers lineup would be as follows:

Harnell - Carter - Lupul
Briere - Richards - Knuble
JVR - Giroux - player X from Vanc
Cote/Carcillo - Powe - Asham

Timonen - Parent
Coburn - Carle
Sbisa - Jones

Nitty/Schneider

That would probably put us at right around 52 mil
Not what we need?! Bieksa is exactly what we need. A punishing defenseman who can play.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:11 AM
trobby

Just bury Briere in the minors. That will help solve your cap problems.

Getting rid of Gagne would be a horrible move.
But if you must the Sens would love to have him (at least this Sens fan would).

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
Just bury Briere in the minors. That will help solve your cap problems.

Getting rid of Gagne would be a horrible move.
But if you must the Sens would love to have him (at least this Sens fan would).
Briere has a NMC. He can't be sent to the minors.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:34 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Not what we need?! Bieksa is exactly what we need. A punishing defenseman who can play.
i concur. bieksa would be perfect for this team. i'd definitely take him if the price was right.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
mstad101

the rights to ohlund, Raymond, Schnieder, and a pick (most likely not a first this year) ?

Gagne Jones?

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:45 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
the rights to ohlund, Raymond, Schnieder, and a pick (most likely not a first this year) ?

Gagne Jones?
No thanks. We drop a bunch of salary, but I don't see why we'd want Ohlund if Vancouver doesn't have an interest in re-signing him. Raymond would be nice, but we've got forwards galore. He'd be our 9th best forward if Knuble re-signs. The whole idea of trading Gagne is that we could keep Lupul and Knuble, whilst bringing JVR up.

Old
04-10-2009, 04:17 PM
JGalt

Quote:
I don't think you could be more wrong here. Bieksa is exactly what the Flyers D corps could use.

Timonen - Parent
Coburn - Carle
Bieksa - Sbisa

That's about as balanced a defense as there is in the league. Add Schnieder in net? That's just about the only Gagne proposal I've ever seen that I think I'd have to do. It would make this team a legit cup favorite for years.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote