HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM Guy Lafleur

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
  #1
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
GM Guy Lafleur

I've always agreed with what he has said over the years. He's always right! Just because he's outspoken and because people backlash against any criticism of the team, doesn't make what he says wrong. I can't think of one thing he's said that I disagree with.

When George sells the team, hopefully someone will have the sense to hire Guy. He knows what skill players need around them to succeed. It's surely not small guys like we have!

Just because the Beliveau led group wanted Reggie Good Guy Houle, and probably chafes at the idea of Lafleur like they did against Bowman back in the day doesn't mean Lafleur can't do a great job.



Opinions?

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
  #2
terreur
Registered User
 
terreur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,739
vCash: 500
Well I REALLY REALLY don't see him becoming the next GM. I don't think he follows hockey enough. I might be wrong, but I just can't see that happening.

terreur is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:19 AM
  #3
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
Well I REALLY REALLY don't see him becoming the next GM. I don't think he follows hockey enough. I might be wrong, but I just can't see that happening.
He doesn't follow hockey enough?

All I know is that I've read about Julien BriseBoise and that terrifies me. He's the guy who gave his cousin 16 mil, right?

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
  #4
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Oh my, Lafleur as GM. I'm sorry, but that takes the cake.

These days the man can't even comment on hockey without embarassing himself. I can't recall one sensible comment he's made since, well, forever ("four fourth lines" on the top-scoring team in the league, anyone?). He's stuck in the past, and in an idealized fantasy version of the past at that.

Great hockey player, but he has zero qualifications to be a GM, and he would be a worse disaster than Rejean Houle.

MathMan is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
  #5
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Oh my, Lafleur as GM. I'm sorry, but that takes the cake.

These days the man can't even comment on hockey without embarassing himself. I can't recall one sensible comment he's made since, well, forever ("four fourth lines" on the top-scoring team in the league, anyone?). He's stuck in the past, and in an idealized fantasy version of the past at that.

Great hockey player, but he has zero qualifications to be a GM, and he would be a worse disaster than Rejean Houle.
I thought that was a great comment that basically called out Carbonneau for mixing grinders with skill guys on all the lines. It's something we've all complained about.

Imagine Lafleur, Shutt and Chartraw on the same line. ?? That's Carbonneau hockey.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
  #6
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
I think Lafleur spent too many nights drinking, smoking and doing the Humpty Dumpty around Montreal Night Clubs in the 70's to have enough brain cells left to function as a normal human being, let alone an NHL GM.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
  #7
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I thought that was a great comment that basically called out Carbonneau for mixing grinders with skill guys on all the lines. It's something we've all complained about.
No. He said that because there was little production at the beginning of the year and players were producing at the same rate as grinders on a 4th line.

m00ks is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
  #8
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I think Lafleur spent too many nights drinking, smoking and doing the Humpty Dumpty around Montreal Night Clubs in the 70's to have enough brain cells left to function as a normal human being, let alone an NHL GM.
Someone will have to make a reasonable comment at some point...

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:29 AM
  #9
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
No. He said that because there was little production at the beginning of the year and players were producing at the same rate as grinders on a 4th line.
That was never my take on that comment.

I mean, what does a GM do these days? Does Gainey scout kids? No. Does he negotiate contracts and deal with the cap? BriseBois probably does that.

Gainey just crafts a team concept (or was supposed to).

You think Lafleur can't build a team??

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
  #10
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Guy Lafleur has ZERO experience in hockey management, ZERO. Seriously, you want to hire him as GM?
I'm guessing that you're either joking and trying to get a rise out us or you have no idea what you're talking about.

Gros Bill is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
  #11
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by st4ticx View Post
It would be a complete disaster to have him as our GM. Like it was said, the guy seem to not follow hockey that much now...
It's tough to follow games in court..

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
  #12
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Guy Lafleur has ZERO experience in hockey management, ZERO. Seriously, you want to hire him as GM?
I'm guessing that you're either joking and trying to get a rise out us or you have no idea what you're talking about.
Make him an assistant GM with someone else. Maybe Lemaire!

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
  #13
Travis Moen
Registered User
 
Travis Moen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,816
vCash: 500
Lol. The amount of BS he talks and you want him to be the GM? Why not Gaston Therrien as GM?

Travis Moen is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
  #14
Agalloch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lachute, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
It would be a complete disaster to have him as our GM. Like it was said, the guy seem to not follow hockey that much now...

Agalloch is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
  #15
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I've always agreed with what he has said over the years. He's always right! Just because he's outspoken and because people backlash against any criticism of the team, doesn't make what he says wrong. I can't think of one thing he's said that I disagree with.

When George sells the team, hopefully someone will have the sense to hire Guy. He knows what skill players need around them to succeed. It's surely not small guys like we have!

Just because the Beliveau led group wanted Reggie Good Guy Houle, and probably chafes at the idea of Lafleur like they did against Bowman back in the day doesn't mean Lafleur can't do a great job.



Opinions?
Off the top of my head, I can remember Lafleur saying:

1) That Gainey was making the wrong move in sitting Kovy for two games earlier this year.

"If I were in (Alex Kovalev's) skates, I'd have played my last game for the Canadiens.

No player with his talent would accept being humiliated like that. ... I don't know what (Bob) Gainey is trying to prove in front of everybody."
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...126/story.html

That was a good call. Gainey "embarrassing" Kovalev was definitely a poor move.

2) That last year's Habs had 4 fourth lines.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=223721

Said in November of last season. Yes, last season, when the Habs went on to win the conference and lead the league in scoring. What a great analysis of talent.

I guess that takes care of your "always right" assessment.

Guy was a great player and has a larger than life personality, but that doesn't mean that he has the management skills to run an NHL hockey team.

LyleOdelein is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:34 AM
  #16
DougHarvey
Registered User
 
DougHarvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I've always agreed with what he has said over the years. He's always right! Just because he's outspoken and because people backlash against any criticism of the team, doesn't make what he says wrong. I can't think of one thing he's said that I disagree with.

When George sells the team, hopefully someone will have the sense to hire Guy. He knows what skill players need around them to succeed. It's surely not small guys like we have!

Just because the Beliveau led group wanted Reggie Good Guy Houle, and probably chafes at the idea of Lafleur like they did against Bowman back in the day doesn't mean Lafleur can't do a great job.



Opinions?
Out of you 9110 posts, that has to be the absolute worst. He has no experience whatsoever. He would be worse than Michel Bergeron or any other of the so-called media experts.

DougHarvey is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
  #17
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Gainey just crafts a team concept (or was supposed to).

You think Lafleur can't build a team??
As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure he can't. I'm quite convinced he'd be horrible at it.

But that's not all a GM does.

MathMan is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM
  #18
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
That was never my take on that comment.

I mean, what does a GM do these days? Does Gainey scout kids? No. Does he negotiate contracts and deal with the cap? BriseBois probably does that.

Gainey just crafts a team concept (or was supposed to).

You think Lafleur can't build a team??
I think you're seriously, seriously undermining a GM's role and importance in a hockey club. He's not simply some team mascot that comes out every once in a while to address the media. I can dress a list of a GM's responsibilities but I'll be wasting my time. A GM's importance is such a basic concept to understand that it's not even worth explaining it to someone who can't grasp it. Have a nice day.

m00ks is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM
  #19
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure he can't. I'm quite convinced he'd be horrible at it.

But that's not all a GM does.
And Gainey can?

You think Lafleur would have let Chara go to Boston or not draft Getzlaf, or not trade up to get Parise? ? ?

It's rumored that Lafleur wanted Wickenheiser over Savard because he wanted a bigger player to play with. That doesn't mean he scouted Savard or anything or that he demanded they draft Wickenheiser, but he does know that you can't have ALL skill guys digging pucks out of the corner and that you can't compensate by having fourth liners play with top 6 guys. Duh.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
  #20
mtl_felix
Registered User
 
mtl_felix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lavaltrie, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Just yesterday, lafleur said our depth and talent down in Hamilton was weak ("pas fort fort").
Yeah.. Let's hire this clown who doesnt follow hockey that much anymore.

mtl_felix is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
  #21
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
Just yesterday, lafleur said our depth and talent down in Hamilton was weak ("pas fort fort").
Yeah.. Let's hire this clown who doesnt follow hockey that much anymore.
He's right again. What do we have in Hamilton?

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
  #22
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
I've learned to accept Guy for what he is, one of the boys, a guy who likes to sit back, take a few shots while having a few shots.

People love him because he's human, he never pretended to be perfect, and every issue he's ever had seems to be played out in the public eye. He's still a likeable guy who screws up but keeps moving forward because that's what people do.

All that being said, he forgets how often he'd line up beside Gainey and Jarvis, alongside Chartraw or anyone else. When Bowman wanted to get their attention or give things a different look, he'd change up as often as anyone else.

Lafluer has never shown the willingness to dedicate himself to working in hockey, at the management or the teaching level. Maybe no one's asked, but if Guy had suggested to anyone that he was interested, there would have been ample opportunity to show that he meant it.

Naw, it's easier making comments, being quoted and sitting back. That's fine, maybe I'd do that, seems lik a good life, but let's not suggest that Lafleur would have it any other way.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
  #23
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Make him an assistant GM with someone else. Maybe Lemaire!
Methinks those 24 rings aren't what's blocking your ears. In fact, I suspect tiny zombies have invaded your brain and have now taken control. I think you're a leafs fan in disguise and you're trying to infect us with your tiny zombies.

Careful everyone, this thread may be hazardous to your health. You may turn into a tiny zombie, or a leafs fan, or worse yet, a leafs refereeeeeeee.

Gros Bill is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:46 AM
  #24
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
You think Lafleur would have let Chara go to Boston or not draft Getzlaf, or not trade up to get Parise? ? ?
Yes... and I'm really scared when I think of the moves he might have pulled instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
It's rumored that Lafleur wanted Wickenheiser over Savard because he wanted a bigger player to play with.
...and look how that worked out.

Seriously, you're pulling our legs, right?

MathMan is offline  
Old
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
  #25
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
All I know is that the kind of team Lafleur talks about wanting to see is the kind of team I'd like to see. Not this gang of players. Can I say that?


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-09-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Edited post to make it more PG-13.
tinyzombies is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.