HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM Guy Lafleur

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
GM Guy Lafleur

I've always agreed with what he has said over the years. He's always right! Just because he's outspoken and because people backlash against any criticism of the team, doesn't make what he says wrong. I can't think of one thing he's said that I disagree with.

When George sells the team, hopefully someone will have the sense to hire Guy. He knows what skill players need around them to succeed. It's surely not small guys like we have!

Just because the Beliveau led group wanted Reggie Good Guy Houle, and probably chafes at the idea of Lafleur like they did against Bowman back in the day doesn't mean Lafleur can't do a great job.

Opinions?

Old
04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
terreur

Well I REALLY REALLY don't see him becoming the next GM. I don't think he follows hockey enough. I might be wrong, but I just can't see that happening.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:19 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
Well I REALLY REALLY don't see him becoming the next GM. I don't think he follows hockey enough. I might be wrong, but I just can't see that happening.
He doesn't follow hockey enough?

All I know is that I've read about Julien BriseBoise and that terrifies me. He's the guy who gave his cousin 16 mil, right?

Old
04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
MathMan

Oh my, Lafleur as GM. I'm sorry, but that takes the cake.

These days the man can't even comment on hockey without embarassing himself. I can't recall one sensible comment he's made since, well, forever ("four fourth lines" on the top-scoring team in the league, anyone?). He's stuck in the past, and in an idealized fantasy version of the past at that.

Great hockey player, but he has zero qualifications to be a GM, and he would be a worse disaster than Rejean Houle.

Old
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Oh my, Lafleur as GM. I'm sorry, but that takes the cake.

These days the man can't even comment on hockey without embarassing himself. I can't recall one sensible comment he's made since, well, forever ("four fourth lines" on the top-scoring team in the league, anyone?). He's stuck in the past, and in an idealized fantasy version of the past at that.

Great hockey player, but he has zero qualifications to be a GM, and he would be a worse disaster than Rejean Houle.
I thought that was a great comment that basically called out Carbonneau for mixing grinders with skill guys on all the lines. It's something we've all complained about.

Imagine Lafleur, Shutt and Chartraw on the same line. ?? That's Carbonneau hockey.

Old
FrankMTL

I think Lafleur spent too many nights drinking, smoking and doing the Humpty Dumpty around Montreal Night Clubs in the 70's to have enough brain cells left to function as a normal human being, let alone an NHL GM.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I thought that was a great comment that basically called out Carbonneau for mixing grinders with skill guys on all the lines. It's something we've all complained about.
No. He said that because there was little production at the beginning of the year and players were producing at the same rate as grinders on a 4th line.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I think Lafleur spent too many nights drinking, smoking and doing the Humpty Dumpty around Montreal Night Clubs in the 70's to have enough brain cells left to function as a normal human being, let alone an NHL GM.
Someone will have to make a reasonable comment at some point...

Old
04-09-2009, 09:29 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
No. He said that because there was little production at the beginning of the year and players were producing at the same rate as grinders on a 4th line.
That was never my take on that comment.

I mean, what does a GM do these days? Does Gainey scout kids? No. Does he negotiate contracts and deal with the cap? BriseBois probably does that.

Gainey just crafts a team concept (or was supposed to).

You think Lafleur can't build a team??

Old
04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Gros Bill

Guy Lafleur has ZERO experience in hockey management, ZERO. Seriously, you want to hire him as GM?
I'm guessing that you're either joking and trying to get a rise out us or you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4ticx View Post
It would be a complete disaster to have him as our GM. Like it was said, the guy seem to not follow hockey that much now...
It's tough to follow games in court..

Old
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Guy Lafleur has ZERO experience in hockey management, ZERO. Seriously, you want to hire him as GM?
I'm guessing that you're either joking and trying to get a rise out us or you have no idea what you're talking about.
Make him an assistant GM with someone else. Maybe Lemaire!

Old
Travis Moen

Lol. The amount of BS he talks and you want him to be the GM? Why not Gaston Therrien as GM?

Old
Agalloch

It would be a complete disaster to have him as our GM. Like it was said, the guy seem to not follow hockey that much now...

Old
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
I've always agreed with what he has said over the years. He's always right! Just because he's outspoken and because people backlash against any criticism of the team, doesn't make what he says wrong. I can't think of one thing he's said that I disagree with.

When George sells the team, hopefully someone will have the sense to hire Guy. He knows what skill players need around them to succeed. It's surely not small guys like we have!

Just because the Beliveau led group wanted Reggie Good Guy Houle, and probably chafes at the idea of Lafleur like they did against Bowman back in the day doesn't mean Lafleur can't do a great job.

Opinions?
Off the top of my head, I can remember Lafleur saying:

1) That Gainey was making the wrong move in sitting Kovy for two games earlier this year.

"If I were in (Alex Kovalev's) skates, I'd have played my last game for the Canadiens.

No player with his talent would accept being humiliated like that. ... I don't know what (Bob) Gainey is trying to prove in front of everybody."
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...126/story.html

That was a good call. Gainey "embarrassing" Kovalev was definitely a poor move.

2) That last year's Habs had 4 fourth lines.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=223721

Said in November of last season. Yes, last season, when the Habs went on to win the conference and lead the league in scoring. What a great analysis of talent.

I guess that takes care of your "always right" assessment.

Guy was a great player and has a larger than life personality, but that doesn't mean that he has the management skills to run an NHL hockey team.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:34 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:

Opinions?
Out of you 9110 posts, that has to be the absolute worst. He has no experience whatsoever. He would be worse than Michel Bergeron or any other of the so-called media experts.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
MathMan

Quote:

As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure he can't. I'm quite convinced he'd be horrible at it.

But that's not all a GM does.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM
m00ks

Quote:
That was never my take on that comment.

I mean, what does a GM do these days? Does Gainey scout kids? No. Does he negotiate contracts and deal with the cap? BriseBois probably does that.

I think you're seriously, seriously undermining a GM's role and importance in a hockey club. He's not simply some team mascot that comes out every once in a while to address the media. I can dress a list of a GM's responsibilities but I'll be wasting my time. A GM's importance is such a basic concept to understand that it's not even worth explaining it to someone who can't grasp it. Have a nice day.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure he can't. I'm quite convinced he'd be horrible at it.

But that's not all a GM does.
And Gainey can?

You think Lafleur would have let Chara go to Boston or not draft Getzlaf, or not trade up to get Parise? ? ?

It's rumored that Lafleur wanted Wickenheiser over Savard because he wanted a bigger player to play with. That doesn't mean he scouted Savard or anything or that he demanded they draft Wickenheiser, but he does know that you can't have ALL skill guys digging pucks out of the corner and that you can't compensate by having fourth liners play with top 6 guys. Duh.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
mtl_felix

Just yesterday, lafleur said our depth and talent down in Hamilton was weak ("pas fort fort").
Yeah.. Let's hire this clown who doesnt follow hockey that much anymore.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
Just yesterday, lafleur said our depth and talent down in Hamilton was weak ("pas fort fort").
Yeah.. Let's hire this clown who doesnt follow hockey that much anymore.
He's right again. What do we have in Hamilton?

Old
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
mcphee

I've learned to accept Guy for what he is, one of the boys, a guy who likes to sit back, take a few shots while having a few shots.

People love him because he's human, he never pretended to be perfect, and every issue he's ever had seems to be played out in the public eye. He's still a likeable guy who screws up but keeps moving forward because that's what people do.

All that being said, he forgets how often he'd line up beside Gainey and Jarvis, alongside Chartraw or anyone else. When Bowman wanted to get their attention or give things a different look, he'd change up as often as anyone else.

Lafluer has never shown the willingness to dedicate himself to working in hockey, at the management or the teaching level. Maybe no one's asked, but if Guy had suggested to anyone that he was interested, there would have been ample opportunity to show that he meant it.

Naw, it's easier making comments, being quoted and sitting back. That's fine, maybe I'd do that, seems lik a good life, but let's not suggest that Lafleur would have it any other way.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Make him an assistant GM with someone else. Maybe Lemaire!
Methinks those 24 rings aren't what's blocking your ears. In fact, I suspect tiny zombies have invaded your brain and have now taken control. I think you're a leafs fan in disguise and you're trying to infect us with your tiny zombies.

Careful everyone, this thread may be hazardous to your health. You may turn into a tiny zombie, or a leafs fan, or worse yet, a leafs refereeeeeeee.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:46 AM
MathMan

Quote:
You think Lafleur would have let Chara go to Boston or not draft Getzlaf, or not trade up to get Parise? ? ?
Yes... and I'm really scared when I think of the moves he might have pulled instead.

Quote:
It's rumored that Lafleur wanted Wickenheiser over Savard because he wanted a bigger player to play with.
...and look how that worked out.

Seriously, you're pulling our legs, right?

Old
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
tinyzombies

All I know is that the kind of team Lafleur talks about wanting to see is the kind of team I'd like to see. Not this gang of players. Can I say that?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-09-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Edited post to make it more PG-13.
Closed Thread