HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Burns on CKAC - 9.04.2009 - Translation

Old
04-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
Pat Burns on CKAC - 9.04.2009 - Translation

I've rarely heard Pat Burns so certain about a Hab victory. Here is a translation of his comments on the Habs/Bruins game. Link to:

- the original interview here - http://www.corussports.com/
- a synthesis here (I did not use it since it was of poor quality) http://www.corussports.com/blog/pat_...les-bruins.php

"
For the Ottawa game - don't forget that the Bruins were champions of the east already. They had difficulties after the ASG but ever since they beat us (the Devils) they regained their confidence. Obtaining the President's Trophy would be tough for them right now. They may want it though since it is brings a team bonus too.

They did not play a great game against Ottawa - lots of turnovers, lost of scoring chances from the crease (enclave ?) - not typical for them.

The Habs wil always make the Bruins fans and players blood boil (?). The were not all that good NY - maybe they were tired from the 3 in 4 - but now they have no excuse. They have to realize what's at stake and the pressure they have on them. I expect them to play a big game tonight. Unlike many, I think the Canadiens will win tonight.

The whole Claude Julien firing issue has little effect on the players - many of his players were in juniors when the firing happened - they don't give a d.... There's no mention about this in the Boston newspapers either.

The Habs have to play the same way the Sens played last game - spend as little time as possible in their defensive zone. The puck has to go out fast, North south, with no fancy East West plays (like I've seen in New York).

(..)

I've watched the Bruins way to get out of the zone during their games in Florida - and was talking with Scotty Bowman about it. Very often it's along the boards (par la bande) with one guy ready to touch the puck near the red line. You (the Habs) do not have to always do the first pass stick to stick - maybe when there is no pressure but...

And Mr Laraque (not sure if he'll play tonight) or Stewart - these guys will be very important in the game. Of course they won't score goals, yet they must go and hit the good players, like Chara or Lucic. This can change the game. Kobasew is hurt, Axelsson not sure, Denis Wideman is important and not sure to play. Ference is out for the year. Chara Ward, Stuart and Hnidy in defence...I sure hope you can pressure these guys.

Concerning the attack lines. Obviously Chara and Ward will be on the ice against Kovalev's line. I don't think the Bruins will put offensive line vs offensive line though. Think about their first trio Savard, Kessel, Wheeler - if you have Koivu's line against them I'm not worried. It's the second offensive line that worries me more. Who will you put on ice against Krejci, Ryder and Lucic ? And then they bring back Yelle (Thornton is back from injury - doubt he'll "dance" tonight) Axelsson is not certain either. And Bergeron is playing great hockey too with Recchi and maybe Kobasew. So they are pretty solid there. The Boston papers asked Julien who will goal tonight and he answered "maybe one - maybe the other - maybe both" - Could this actually happen ?

(..)

It is important for George to send a message to Chara "Hey, I'm here".

"

My personal (and biased) interpretation is that what he was trying to convey as message (since he can't say it openly) is that the Habs have to "convince" the Bruins that it is not worth for them taking major injuries in a meaningless game right before the Playoffs. I wish we had him as coach....

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 08:52 AM
airlouche

Very interesting...but I still think Habs will lose tonight.

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 08:53 AM
LeMAD

No W without Markov.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Very interesting...but I still think Habs will lose tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
No W without Markov.
O ye of little faith.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Newhabfan

Thanks for your valuable opinions guys. They are much appreciated. I'm sure that Burns was not aware that Markov is injured or that he was an important part of our teams.

Pat Burns is not god and he definetely does not tell the future. However, his hockey knowledge and experience make me trust his opinions more then others.

And btw - there are more then half dozen Habs bashing threads open - could you please take your negativism there ?

Old
04-09-2009, 09:18 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Thanks for your valuable opinions guys. They are much appreciated. I'm sure that Burns was not aware that Markov is injured or that he was an important part of our teams.

Pat Burns is not god and he definetely does not tell the future. However, his hockey knowledge and experience make me trust his opinions more then others.

And btw - there are more then half dozen Habs bashing threads open - could you please take your negativism there ?
Thank you for translating this. I found it to be an excellent and informative read.

The thing I agree with most is Burns' take on the B's breakout strategy. The B's usually fire the puck up to a winger who then shoots the puck up to a player (usually the centre), who has skated over the red line. That player then tips the puck into the zone and the B's start their forecheck. I hope that Gainey has the Habs' centres play a little higher in the zone, so that they can skate back and support the Habs D on the breakout, giving them the chance to step up and intercept the pass to the middle out of the zone, or at least get in the face of the player who is tipping the puck into the zone.

If this breakout strategy can be neutralized, that would hinder the B's forwards from setting up their killer forecheck and would give the Habs a lot more possession than we've seen them have against the B's in other games this season. I miss Burns.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
Thank you for translating this. I found it to be an excellent and informative read.

The thing I agree with most is Burns' take on the B's breakout strategy. The B's usually fire the puck up to a winger who then shoots the puck up to a player (usually the centre), who has skated over the red line. That player then tips the puck into the zone and the B's start their forecheck. I hope that Gainey has the Habs' centres play a little higher in the zone, so that they can skate back and support the Habs D on the breakout, giving them the chance to step up and intercept the pass to the middle out of the zone, or at least get in the face of the player who is tipping the puck into the zone.

If this breakout strategy can be neutralized, that would hinder the B's forwards from setting up their killer forecheck and would give the Habs a lot more possession than we've seen them have against the B's in other games this season. I miss Burns.
Maybe Burns' interviews should be sent to Gainey...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 50
Thanks for the translation Newhabfan. I agree with Pat, we're kicking some Bruin ass tonight.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Maybe Burns' interviews should be sent to Gainey...
My bet is they are. Would be a stupid move not to.

You have to consider though that Pat has been a Bruins coach too and is 100% loyal to the Devils and Lou Lamoriello (what does this guy do to them to get their loyalty anyway ? Burns, Robinson, Brodeur ... Put something in their drinks? )

And he also hates the Rangers. Big time

Therefore he cannot openly express or offer his help to the Canadiens. But he does give hints during his daily comments.

A sad note though - he let it slip that he lost 30 pounds and "not the right way"

Old
04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Gilles Tremblay

Do the Bruins players give a *hit about Julien's vendetta against the Habs at this point, 2 years into his rein? I wonder if they have coach fatigue as well. Probably most of them already hate the Habs for personal reasons, but going the extra mile for the coach? I don't know, I'm not familiar enough with the Bruins' situation, but it doesn't seem to me Julien is charismatic enough to inspire anything like that in his players.

Gilles Tremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Great Stuff there...

I like what he said about Laraque/Stewart... I hope they'll get in tonight, and forecheck like they can. Same goes for big Gui, Lapierre, and TomK.

We need to tenderize some of the B's back line leading into the playoffs... Tit for Tat. Who knows we may get lucky and rattle one of them pretty good.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Capitano

In a weird way I'm kind of happy that we play Boston and Pittsburgh in our last 2 games because we normally play better against better opponents.

I'm still upset that Markov is out indefinitely though...what horrible timing to lose our general.

We will get in the playoffs one way or another.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Thanks for the translation Newhabfan. I agree with Pat, we're kicking some Bruin ass tonight.
It all comes down to goaltending.

If we see the Carey Price of old, we can not only beat the Bruins tonight and make the playoffs, but a hot goalie can steal an entire playoff series.

It's time to carry us Carey....

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Great Stuff there...

I like what he said about Laraque/Stewart... I hope they'll get in tonight, and forecheck like they can. Same goes for big Gui, Lapierre, and TomK.

We need to tenderize some of the B's back line leading into the playoffs... Tit for Tat. Who knows we may get lucky and rattle one of them pretty good.
Loaded for bear!!!

Go Habs Go!!!

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Loaded for bear!!!

Go Habs Go!!!
Bear Hunting season, indeed...

Players should offer a little bounty on the big game (Chara the Polar Bear)... one of those "that kinda stuff doesn't happen in the NHL" types of bounty... 100 bucks a hit.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote