HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BOB go with the hot hand, Halak!!!

Old
04-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi4Vezina View Post
The fact that I didn't get to watch the 2nd half of the game (went to see Fast and Furious which is pretty good btw) .
Oh ... my .... you just explained everything, no need to debate this any longer...

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Turboflex*

People here don't know much about hockey if they think Halak and Price are equal.

Price:
-BIGGER (you can't teach 6'3)
-Faster laterally and covers more
-Covers 5 hole much better (Halak's biggest weakness)
-Handles puck fairly exceptionally for a goalie (no Brodeur yet, but will get better), can make good, hard and reliably accurate breakout passes
-Improved his weakest area (glove) dramatically this year
-Better to puck positioning
-Much better rebound control

Halak is smaller, and doesn't have any advantage over price except in maybe a slight one in raw reflex speed, which is mostly negated by Price's superior positioning and size coverage.

Now for you ignorant Halak fanboys, I'm not saying Halak is a bad goalie, he's quite good infact, but not a solid NHL starter (top 15-20 goalie in league)? He is a good backup on a good team, or could even get a job as shark food on a bottom dwelling team (not really an improvement over being a relatively highly used backup on a good team). He may even improve his game as he matures, it's not uncommon for goalies to only really bloom as they approach 30 (Thomas, Huet, Hackett, etc.), but for the moment he's in that 25-60 range in NHL goalie talent with a lot less upside and talent than Price.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:55 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
People here don't know much about hockey if they think Halak and Price are equal.

Price:
-Handles puck fairly exceptionally for a goalie (no Brodeur yet, but will get better), can make good, hard and reliably accurate breakout passes

Halak is smaller, and doesn't have any advantage over price except in maybe a slight one in raw reflex speed, which is mostly negated by Price's superior positioning and size coverage.

Now for you ignorant Halak fanboys, I'm not saying Halak is a bad goalie, he's quite good infact, but not a solid NHL starter (top 15-20 goalie in league)? He is a good backup on a good team, or could even get a job as shark food on a bottom dwelling team (not really an improvement over being a relatively highly used backup on a good team). He may even improve his game as he matures, it's not uncommon for goalies to only really bloom as they approach 30 (Thomas, Huet, Hackett, etc.), but for the moment he's in that 25-60 range in NHL goalie talent with a lot less upside and talent than Price.
Thanks Mr. "I think I know everything". Can I message you for advice when I need to do my playoff pool ? I won't even bother trying to have an argument with you, the undeserved shots just prove you're too immature to have one.

ScottyDoesntKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Oh ... my .... you just explained everything, no need to debate this any longer...
What does the fact that I missed one half of a game prove ? That you didn't read my post and don't know I'm not judging him only on yesterday's performance ?

I thought about posting that yesterday morning and I should have, so I don't have to defend myself against post like this.

Old
04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
m00ks

Wasn't Price on a tear before our d-men got injured?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:04 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Thanks Mr. "I think I know everything". Can I message you for advice when I need to do my playoff pool ? I won't even bother trying to have an argument with you, the undeserved shots just prove you're too immature to have one.

You can call him immature all you want, but can you argue any of his points??

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

This is too funny.

In Montréal, like any NFL city, the favorite player is always the backup to the main guy.

Happened with Hayward when Roy wasn't dominating. As a matter of fact, Montréal fans wanted to trade Roy his sophomore year, after winning the ****ing cup.

You people need to get real. Price wasn't fabulous last night, but this team was absolutely flatlining. Matter of fact, it could've easily been 5-1.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
You can call him immature all you want, but can you argue any of his points??
Since you ask, I will.

Price:
-BIGGER (you can't teach 6'3) - True

-Faster laterally and covers more - No, he's not faster, Halak is, and he's more intense, he comes back to his net and comes back standing much faster than Price. And covers more ? He's bigger, same thing different words.

-Covers 5 hole much better (Halak's biggest weakness) - He's bigger, same thing different words.

-Handles puck fairly exceptionally for a goalie (no Brodeur yet, but will get better), can make good, hard and reliably accurate breakout passes - We saw that yesterday yeah and it's not the first time, he's better at puck handling but makes terrible mistakes like yesterday, Halak is more conservative, doesn't make mistakes but doesn't help Ds as much. Equal on this

-Improved his weakest area (glove) dramatically this year - No, he didn't

-Better to puck positioning - What does that mean ? puck positioning ? Lately I see Price is often out of position

-Much better rebound control - That, I agree

Halak is faster and shows more intensity, Price needs to fight more for it, everyone is saying he's calm and relaxed, but he is too much, he is too slow to come back into position. Price seems to lose his focus easily, sometimes he gives a bad goal and lose his confidence and it's obvious, that doesn't help the confidence of his teammates playing in front of him. He's also starting to control his rebounds a lot more, he keeps improving and it shows, he rarely has a bad game. Besides size and rebound control, Price doesn't have any advantage over Halak.

Old
04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Let Halak be in the net for the next 2 games, AND the next 4 games...run him until the end. It's not a reactionnary thread/panic thread, I'm not judging Price only on yesterday, because even if he made mistakes he still stopped 41 shots out of 44, but Halak deserves to get the starting role this year, he has been so much more consistent.

Price got so many opportunities to step up in critical situations this year (sometimes undeserved...) and has never really been outstanding during these situations, he's been OK, but a goalie has to steal games from time to time...

Price has shown good things in his last games, but it feels like sometimes he enters a zone when he his completly lost, he has 0 intensity, is often out of position, slow to come back to his net and has a problem controlling rebounds...like in the 1st and beginning of 2nd period yesterday (didn't watch the rest of the game last night I don't know if it was like that all game long...) When he gets in that "bad zone" I am so scared everytime a puck comes near him, and I'm sure that this have some kind of effect on his teammates as well. That is something I never saw from Halak, that's why I want him for the playoffs, he's CONSISTENT.

I know Price is supposed to be the guy, they put everything in him, but Halak is more deserving this year. If Price does bad in the last 2 games or in the playoffs, it will be bad for him and for Halak. Price will be blamed, even more because Halak could have been there, and Halak will feel unrespected and unwanted in the team, he has stepped up in EVERY opportunity he had, and that is good for a goalie to perform that well under pressure. If it's Halak that doesn't perform well in the next games, it will be much easier to accept for everyone.

I'm not a Price basher, I like this guy and hope he will be here for a long time, but this year should go to Halak, don't make the same mistake that was done 2 years ago with Huet!

Bob, please, run Halak until the end!
Price was hot before the flu, had 41 saves in a loss and Halak wasn't strong in the Sens game...your just against Price, because Price has been as strong or stronger than Halak of late.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Price was hot before the flu, had 41 saves in a loss and Halak wasn't strong in the Sens game...your just against Price, because Price has been as strong or stronger than Halak of late.
I am not against him, I would be really happy if Price can put it together and perform very well, I'm not bashing him, I'm more praising Halak. You think that Price is better than Halak right now ? That's alright, I respect that. Agree to disagree

Old
04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Since you ask, I will.

Price:
-BIGGER (you can't teach 6'3) - True

1)-Faster laterally and covers more - No, he's not faster, Halak is, and he's more intense, he comes back to his net and comes back standing much faster than Price. And covers more ? He's bigger, same thing different words.

-Covers 5 hole much better (Halak's biggest weakness) - He's bigger, same thing different words.

2)-Handles puck fairly exceptionally for a goalie (no Brodeur yet, but will get better), can make good, hard and reliably accurate breakout passes - We saw that yesterday yeah and it's not the first time, he's better at puck handling but makes terrible mistakes like yesterday, Halak is more conservative, doesn't make mistakes but doesn't help Ds as much. Equal on this

-Improved his weakest area (glove) dramatically this year - No, he didn't

3)-Better to puck positioning - What does that mean ? puck positioning ? Lately I see Price is often out of position

-Much better rebound control - That, I agree

Halak is faster and shows more intensity, Price needs to fight more for it, everyone is saying he's calm and relaxed, but he is too much, he is too slow to come back into position. Price seems to lose his focus easily, sometimes he gives a bad goal and lose his confidence and it's obvious, that doesn't help the confidence of his teammates playing in front of him. He's also starting to control his rebounds a lot more, he keeps improving and it shows, he rarely has a bad game. Besides size and rebound control, Price doesn't have any advantage over Halak.
1) Can't agree there. Price is calmer and doesn't get out of position as much as Halak, who tends to scramble when he can't find the puck which leaves huge holes.

2) Oh no, he made a mistake! Whenever Halak controls the puck, it's either a short pass or a turnover. Price helps our team get out of the zone quicker and can help kill a penalty. He made a mistake...Well, did you see Turco choking up a goal to Higgins? It happens. Brodeur choked a goal in a SCF when he tried to play a puck.

3) Puck positioning is when he hits the puck with his pad to put it in the corners instead of giving a rebound in front of the net, which Halak does on hard, low shots.

We could argue this on and on, but the only thing that matters is results. When Halak is hot and Price isn't, Halak is better. When Price is hot, he's a better goalie period.

That's why I'd go with Price.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post

Price:

Price is bigger and usually has better positioning, but I don't agree with all of your points.

Yeah, he's capable of making some great passes (and had a better shot than most of our forwards in rookie camp two years ago), but his decision making has been terrible for awhile now and he constantly turns the puck over. Halak isn't great in this area either, but I don't hold my breath every time he leaves his crease.

To me, Price's greatest asset is that he has a calming influence on the game when he's playing his best that Halak doesn't have. When he's playing well, everything looks easy. Unfortunately, the opposite is true when he's struggling.

My biggest disappointment with Price is that what was touted as his best characteristic seems to be his biggest weakness. I don't know if it's mental preparation, that he gets rattled easily, or his concentration isn't there, but in the first half of last night's game it didn't even seem like he was paying attention.

Last night definitely wasn't all on Price though; after a pretty good start the entire team basically collapsed. Right now though I think Halak gives us a better chance to win and I'd like to see him against Boston. I expect it will be Price again, but who knows.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Habs

Quote:
What does the fact that I missed one half of a game prove ? That you didn't read my post and don't know I'm not judging him only on yesterday's performance ?

I thought about posting that yesterday morning and I should have, so I don't have to defend myself against post like this.
No, it was the fact you appreciated and recommended Fast and Furious..

Its like a editor for Car and Driver recommending a Pinto over a BMW, and wanting us to take his reviews seriously.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
No, it was the fact you appreciated and recommended Fast and Furious..

Its like a editor for Car and Driver recommending a Pinto over a BMW, and wanting us to take his reviews seriously.
Which one is worse ? Doing a bad review, or doing a review without seeing the movie ?

It was just alright, if you go there and expect a mind-blowing story you'll hate it, it's just a good action/car movie I guess..

Old
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Good god not another Cary bashing thread.
Put Halak in have him tank and then everyone can still **** on Price for all 6 losses being his fault.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Turboflex*

By better 5 hole coverage I don't mean he's bigger, but he closes it up quicker and squares his stick quicker when a low shot aimed there comes in.

Most of the soft goals Halak lets in go 5-hole because he is not good at squaring his stick to ice and also doesn't close his legs quick enough (either it's a reflex thing or maybe he's cheating so he can move laterelly quicker if needed).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Fire Brunet*

I hope Bob plays Halak and he fails miserably.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Rickkins

Carey Price will have some enormous games...no doubt about it.

However, imho, he will always be inconsistent. You will never know in advance which Carey will show up for any given game.

I would go with Halak.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
1) Can't agree there. Price is calmer and doesn't get out of position as much as Halak, who tends to scramble when he can't find the puck which leaves huge holes.

2) Oh no, he made a mistake! Whenever Halak controls the puck, it's either a short pass or a turnover. Price helps our team get out of the zone quicker and can help kill a penalty. He made a mistake...Well, did you see Turco choking up a goal to Higgins? It happens. Brodeur choked a goal in a SCF when he tried to play a puck.

3) Puck positioning is when he hits the puck with his pad to put it in the corners instead of giving a rebound in front of the net, which Halak does on hard, low shots.

We could argue this on and on, but the only thing that matters is results. When Halak is hot and Price isn't, Halak is better. When Price is hot, he's a better goalie period.

That's why I'd go with Price.
1 did you even watch the game last night? I like his imitation of a turnstyle, without the puck.
2 Wrong
3 Wrong

When was price hot last? November. All you PRICE fanboys got it wrong. No one here is a Halak fanboy, he is the better goalies RIGHT NOW. Halak has improved his rebound control, he makes better decisions with the puck(when to play it), price is not better at passing the puck, please see Halaks outlet passes against the leafs when we are on the powerplay Saturday.
Frankly the whole team plays differently when Halak is in net. The team has more confidence and it shows in their aggressive forecheck, which was missing 100% after the ruutu-esq goal again. Sure price played OK and made some nice saves in the third but the team has already collapsed after the first 2 bad goals and it's too late.

Price went for a skate on a few occasions and almost got burned again on the same play if not for the diving save. When you watch your goalie making the same mistake that cost a goal already, you don't go "wow what a great save" you are saying"why the hell did you leave your net in the first place".

Price doesn't HAVE to get playoff experience, if gainey wanted to do that then he should have left him on the dogs for 1 YEAR like you do will 99% of prospects.
I don't understand the ruin 2 goalie approach to player development. How can anyone say how well Halak will be post season when they have never given him a shot, maybe he sucks, maybe he mans up and plays well. You won't know until he actually plays. What if Halak turns out to be pretty good doesn't he also deserve playoff experience if he is playing well enough? If they don't care about his development then they should have traded him(for his good) and got Curtis Joseph.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Had Halak won the Ottawa game i'd be all for letting him play but that last goal to Heatley shouldn't happen in a huge game like that.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
I hope Bob plays Halak and he fails miserably.
Good job don't you just love our team. Go back to the leaf board.

Old
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin View Post
Had Halak won the Ottawa game i'd be all for letting him play but that last goal to Heatley shouldn't happen in a huge game like that.
Oh you mean like the type of goal that Kovy scores on all the time...umm yeah.

Old
04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
chris96

Quote:
The fact that I didn't get to watch the 2nd half of the game (went to see Fast and Furious which is pretty good btw)

how can you make a thread like this when you didnt even see the game?

Price was one of the only reasons we were in this game.

Why can't people accept that Price is our #1, for better or for worse. When Price is at his best, he is a superior goalie than Halak, and right now, he is playing his best hockey since his injury prior to the all-star break. The team has stunk in front of both goalies all year, and Price was the one of the only reasons that we were in the position we were in prior to the all-star break, while Halak stunk up the joint for the first half of the year.

chris96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:11 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin View Post
The first goal last night shouldn't have happened, Price was on his knees for no reason at all, the second goal was a joke, 100% on Price.

The problem is Halak isn't much better and for that the blame lands on Gainey for thinking Price/Halak would be able to backstop this team deep into the playoffs.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:14 PM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Wasn't Price on a tear before our d-men got injured?
to me, Price has never been on a tear this year...he has yet to really steal a game, where the Habs had no business winning, but we did cause of goaltending, IE: Halak vs the Avs and Sharks come to mind.

Price seems to most of the time play well when the team is playing well infront of him, which obviously makes sense, but sometimes you need that extra gear to appear superhuman, which he hasn't show at all this year, not in any game...but saying that..he was coming back after some time off, looked rusty and shaky as hell around the first 25 mins of the game, then he came into his own, hopefully he stands on his head come tomorrow, cause we're gonna need it heading into Boston.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote