HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RIP Nick Adenhart

Old
04-09-2009, 03:24 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

vCash: 500
it really got me when i saw "1986-2009." i mean, 1986? geez, he was just a kid. such a damn tragedy.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:46 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3ds0x View Post
At least he'll be put away for a long time..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
"History of drunk driving." Some people are just too ****ing dumb. That really pisses me off. He's wasted his life, plus the lives of the people in Adenhart's car. Unbelievable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post
RIP, my heart goes out to his family and friends, but most of all I am sickened by the absolute recklessness and irresponsibility of the drunk driver...What a Fuc***g looser!!!
YES, he will go away for a long time. It is a standard admonition when you get convicted of a DUI, you are told by the Judge in open court that Driving Under the Influence is dangerous and that if you get in an accident and kill someone while you are under the influence you can be held to answer for MURDER.

I don't doubt that the OC District Attorney's office, never one to charge lightly, will throw the proverbial book at the guy, charge him with murder, as they should, and that he will be spending very many of his prime years in a lockdown (jail/prison) facility.

I've been an attorney for just short of twenty two full years, and I am still frequently amazed at what possesses some people to not care how their actions affect themselves or others. I know the world is filled with idiots too, but for each case I see where a person probably shouldn't be forced to go through the justice system, I see several more like this one where people never learned their lesson and make the world that much worse of a place for others.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

There should be mandatory minimum 12 months for DUI. I'm telling you if that was the law you'd see less repeat offenders and the Paris Hilton's and CEO's of the world would think twice.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Andrew Thomas Gallo:

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Classy guy.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
There should be mandatory minimum 12 months for DUI. I'm telling you if that was the law you'd see less repeat offenders and the Paris Hilton's and CEO's of the world would think twice.
this

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
lak4ever

Wow, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

R.I.P

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
YES, he will go away for a long time. It is a standard admonition when you get convicted of a DUI, you are told by the Judge in open court that Driving Under the Influence is dangerous and that if you get in an accident and kill someone while you are under the influence you can be held to answer for MURDER.

I don't doubt that the OC District Attorney's office, never one to charge lightly, will throw the proverbial book at the guy, charge him with murder, as they should, and that he will be spending very many of his prime years in a lockdown (jail/prison) facility.

I've been an attorney for just short of twenty two full years, and I am still frequently amazed at what possesses some people to not care how their actions affect themselves or others. I know the world is filled with idiots too, but for each case I see where a person probably shouldn't be forced to go through the justice system, I see several more like this one where people never learned their lesson and make the world that much worse of a place for others.
So add in driving on a suspended license, felony hit and run and vehicular manslaughter ...
As an attorney What do you think he will get for a sentence

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Menace

Quote:
Agreed. There should be some sort of mandatory sentence for a DUI, maybe 10-12 months for an alcohol related DUI and 12-18 months for drug related DUI. This might get many people to think twice before getting behind a wheel intoxicated. Sadly it still would not stop everybody from driving intoxicated.

Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 08:39 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

I know it's easy to demonize this kid who was driving drunk, but try to remember that he was obviously struggling with his own problems. Untreated alcoholism impairs one's ability to make logical decisions, as was obviously the case with Andrew Gallo.

It's just a shame. Some people are able to deal with their addictions and realize how detrimental they are not only to themselves but the world around them. Now we have a dead kid who had a world of possibility in front of him, and another kid who will spend a majority of his life behind bars.

Addiction and alcoholism are horrible diseases and cause far too much destruction, as evidenced today, and really shouldn't be taken lightly. Really a shame.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Fingolfin

Addiction or no, I have no sympathy for anyone who kills someone while driving under the influence. Alcoholism may be a problem for a lot of people, but there's a difference between not being able to control your drinking habits and NOT DRIVING A &#*()@& CAR WHILE DRUNK.

Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:04 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
Addiction or no, I have no sympathy for anyone who kills someone while driving under the influence. Alcoholism may be a problem for a lot of people, but there's a difference between not being able to control your drinking habits and NOT DRIVING A &#*()@& CAR WHILE DRUNK.
Agreed. This guy should not get out of jail after killing 3 people. He already had 1 DUI and did not learn a lesson. A highly public case of triple manslaughter, possibly murder, this guy never sees a free day of his life again.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:38 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
Waiting 4 next year

This piece of fecal matter should be put away until Adenhart is well enough to rejoin the Angels' rotation...

God be with those three families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
it really got me when i saw "1986-2009." i mean, 1986? geez, he was just a kid. such a damn tragedy.
kind of the same thing I was thinking. He was born 8/24/86; that was like 10 days before I started my senior year of HS...

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Instances like this are why I think torture is a good thing sometimes.

Remember kids, red is positive, black is negative and make sure his balls are wet.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

I went to the crash site today and have to admit. it's very humbling and makes you think about everything.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:03 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
this
I dont want to get into a tangential argument on a thread intended to pay respects to a person Killed by a drunk driver. But for some people who are just at the legal limit, which is quite low, your penalty is beyond harsh and would doom a vast number of people to jail, loss of jobs, family problems, etc all for simply having a few drinks, and not being a significant danger.

Old
04-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Matt13

Quote:
I dont want to get into a tangential argument on a thread intended to pay respects to a person Killed by a drunk driver. But for some people who are just at the legal limit, which is quite low, your penalty is beyond harsh and would doom a vast number of people to jail, loss of jobs, family problems, etc all for simply having a few drinks, and not being a significant danger.
not to mention that the state is already at capacity in its county prisons and cash strapped.

It would never fly.

Plus my guess is, everybody in this thread of legal age has driven after drinking. We are just the lucky ones that didnt get caught or kill anyone.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:19 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
So add in driving on a suspended license, felony hit and run and vehicular manslaughter ...
As an attorney What do you think he will get for a sentence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Agreed. This guy should not get out of jail after killing 3 people. He already had 1 DUI and did not learn a lesson. A highly public case of triple manslaughter, possibly murder, this guy never sees a free day of his life again.
Because he had a prior DUI, and I assume as in all DUI sentencings, he was given the admonition about continued drunk driving combined with a death as a result, he will be charged with 3 counts of murder 2, and if he pleads to 3 count of voluntary manslaughter he will be lucky to get a 12 year sentence.

For those who want a mandatory jail term for any DUI, consider that for a person weighing approximately 150 lbs, three 12 oz. beers in one hour will likely put that person over the limit. Moreover, as it is impossible to know without an actual Prelimanary Alcohol Screening device (which is what cops use in the field to take a quick inadmissable reading--it looks like a harmonica with a small tube on the end) what your actual BAC is, its my belief that your minimum is very harsh.

I am currently representing a client who took ambien to go to sleep one night and who woke up the next day in jail. He had been driving in a somnombulant state (sleeping) and had absolutely no idea where he was or how he got there. When he was arrested he was in pajama's and house slippers (You can check the literature on ambien--there are numerous cases of people sleep walking and even sleep driving.) My point is, with your minimum jail senteneces in mind, should my client do 12-18 months for doing something of which he had absolutely no control?

When you make a hard. and fast rule, it is the extreme cases you need to consider before drawing the line

Old
04-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Matt13

Quote:
When he was arrested he was in pajama's and house slippers

any man wearing pajama's and house slippers should do time.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
sojourner_tim
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Plus my guess is, everybody in this thread of legal age has driven after drinking. We are just the lucky ones that didnt get caught or kill anyone.
Not me, my faith and my parents both instilled in me a respect for the lives of others. Lock him up and throw away the key and he'll never drive drunk again. He took 3 lives and thus forfeited his. It's sad but choices have consequences.

sojourner_tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:54 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Because he had a prior DUI, and I assume as in all DUI sentencings, he was given the admonition about continued drunk driving combined with a death as a result, he will be charged with 3 counts of murder 2, and if he pleads to 3 count of voluntary manslaughter he will be lucky to get a 12 year sentence.
~~~~~~
When you make a hard. and fast rule, it is the extreme cases you need to consider before drawing the line
He could get life. 3 counts of 2nd degree murder= 3 strikes= life sentence. They could reduce one of the strikes, but they don't have to.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

To die young is a tragedy often beyond words.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Mindcircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
That ****ing idiot must've been flying.
There was a video of a witness at the scene who said the guy was hauling through the light at about 80. The guy who lived through the crash is extremely lucky.

I've been pretty down emotionally all day because of this news. The story is just so gut wrenching.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

Mindcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:06 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
I know it's easy to demonize this kid who was driving drunk, but try to remember that he was obviously struggling with his own problems. Untreated alcoholism impairs one's ability to make logical decisions, as was obviously the case with Andrew Gallo.

It's just a shame. Some people are able to deal with their addictions and realize how detrimental they are not only to themselves but the world around them. Now we have a dead kid who had a world of possibility in front of him, and another kid who will spend a majority of his life behind bars.

Addiction and alcoholism are horrible diseases and cause far too much destruction, as evidenced today, and really shouldn't be taken lightly. Really a shame.
They are not diseases. That's just an excuse for irresponsibility.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:03 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post

This piece of **** ran away from the crash scene, leaving an injured passenger in his minivan to fend for herself (she turned out to be an illegal alien, FWIW). Real classy.

There's no excuse for that.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote