HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Halak to the Flyers

Old
04-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Adam Warlock

vCash: 500
Halak to the Flyers

Yeah...another goalie to the flyers thread lol.

Ive always liked Halak and would love if the flyers could pick him up in a deal. I am happy with Biron...but with the cap the way it is...if they could get a younger cheaper goalie like Halak i dont think itd hurt them.

Im just curious about what people think itd take to get him. I think the deal would have to start with Lupul, who the flyers are going to need to trade for cap space...but what else? Carle or Jones? A pick? Nitty? Im not sure what the habs needs are right now...so i just wanted to hear what others though on the matter.

Adam Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:53 AM
FrankMTL

I don't know if Montreal would trade Halak inside their conference...but i guess something around Lupul would make sense. We have a lot of young d-men right now that are coming up the ranks, but not ready to make the jump...but Philly is not stacked on D at the NHL level either so thats not a good fit.

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
I think Halak will be moved in the offseason, perhaps at the draft. Gainey will bring in a veteran backup for Price.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Jones + Niitty at draft for Halak + pick

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:59 AM
twenty2

Is this Flyers Trade Proposal Week?

At least this one is quality. The rest were just plain garbage.

I don't know what the deal with Halak is, but I don't expect any miracles out of him. I'm not sure he's an upgrade to Biron right now and we would likely be getting him to be a starter. Or am I mistaken somehow?

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

For next year, Montreal needs, in no particular order:
  • Size at center
  • Skilled gritty player
  • Veteran backup goalie

They have 10-11 UFA's at the end of the season. They may keep some, but several will be let go.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:02 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Is this Flyers Trade Proposal Week?

At least this one is quality. The rest were just plain garbage.

I don't know what the deal with Halak is, but I don't expect any miracles out of him. I'm not sure he's an upgrade to Biron right now and we would likely be getting him to be a starter. Or am I mistaken somehow?
Halak may not be an upgrade over Biron right now, but in a year or two he defenitly will be. He's a little Tomas Vokoun version 2.0 and gives you a solid goalie for the future.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I think Halak will be moved in the offseason, perhaps at the draft. Gainey will bring in a veteran backup for Price.
It wouldn't surprise me, although I think it would be a mistake. Halak has shown us his value, and it should be quite high -- *to us*. Having the young duo at least gives us the option of being covered in nets if one is hurt or not playing well (although in the latter case, Gainey seems reluctant to excercise his option).

The market value of a young unproven goalie is usually low, although sometimes unpredictable. I just think the Flyers would have a lot of options such that they wouldn't even need to give up a Lupul to get a goalie who they could perceive having similar odds of success to Halak. Heck, I don't know why they'd put him ahead of re-signing Biron or using Niitymaki, really. And that said, I also don't think the Habs need Lupul. Or a Lupul-like player. We need a backup goalie, and Halak is a good and very affordable one. I don't think I'd re-open that position. The Habs are organizationally very thin in net behind them, and I think it would be smart to retain both young goaltending assets as long as they can.

The things I think could tempt the Habs would be a big strong regular forward, or a really reliable and solid defenseman. They don't need generic offensive depth or 'tweener type defensemen. A Hartnell type up front, a Coburn type on D. I don't perceive such assets to be available for a goaltending diceroll like Halak, though.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:05 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
i'd be extremly surprised if Gainey would trade Halak + a pick for that package... Jones is alright, but i think Gainey would want to trade Halak for a player with similar upside.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Niittymaki is going to be a free agent this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL
He's a little Tomas Vokoun version 2.0 and gives you a solid goalie for the future.
Like Price was supposed to be Patrick Roy 2.0 ?

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
Niittymaki is going to be a free agent this summer.

Like Price was supposed to be Patrick Roy 2.0 ?
Meh, who says he still can't be ...But seriously, he's had a difficult year. hopefully he can rebound next year and gain a little more maturity. Halak on the other hand is a complete pro...that kid is a straight arrow.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Shady McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Adam Warlock

Quote:
Wow...that would be wonderful lol.

The way i see it, the flyers need to lose at least 2 of the following 3 players in the offseason for cap reasons: Lupul, Jones, Carle. If the flyers can do that, and get a cheaper goalie in return, that would give them great cap relief for next season...and even potentially making signing someone like JBo possible (i know, pipe dream, but i can still dream lol).

I think lupul would work great in the habs offense, and hes a younger talent signed for a good amount of time. Jones or carle gives them a younger dman that could play decent minutes for them. Not sure of the habs cap situation...so idk if its possible for them to take on two of those salaries.

Adam Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I think lupul would work great in the habs offense, and hes a younger talent signed for a good amount of time. Jones or carle gives them a younger dman that could play decent minutes for them. Not sure of the habs cap situation...so idk if its possible for them to take on two of those salaries.
The main thing about the Habs cap situation is that it won't likely be clear until after July 1st. In theory, they have tons of cap space... but they will probably want to use almost all of it to try to retain some of their current FAs. And/or they will want to chase any big-name players who are available July 1st. I don't see them abandoning those hopes for Jones/Carle/Lupul types until or unless things don't go well for them after July 1st.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Wow...that would be wonderful lol.

The way i see it, the flyers need to lose at least 2 of the following 3 players in the offseason for cap reasons: Lupul, Jones, Carle. If the flyers can do that, and get a cheaper goalie in return, that would give them great cap relief for next season...and even potentially making signing someone like JBo possible (i know, pipe dream, but i can still dream lol).

It will be very tough to fit Bouwmeester under the Flyers cap. But bringing him in they would definitely get rid of Jones and Carle. But the problem then becomes Coburn and Parent the next season and then Giroux, Sbisa, Carter and Gagne the following. I'd rather keep all those guys then have Bouwmeester.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Meh, who says he still can't be ...But seriously, he's had a difficult year. hopefully he can rebound next year and gain a little more maturity. Halak on the other hand is a complete pro...that kid is a straight arrow.
I got to agree with you that Halak has potential.

Howard and a 2nd or 3rd pick. Deal ?

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:39 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:

No. We would rather just keep him. Same thing with the Nitty and Jones package. Or Lupul.

I know Halak's value isn't high. That's why it makes no sense to trade him.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
No way, not a fan of either Jones or Nitty, I wouldn't trade anything for either let alone Halak, who is a decent young backup on a cheap contract + a pick. F that.

I could see the Habs trading Halak over the summer, but for what I have no clue. Then again, I'd have no problem with bringing him back so the Habs are in no rush to move him.

Quote:

I liked Howard a lot while in the NCAA, and he's been good in the AHL (I see GR a lot since they are fighting with Hamilton all season for home ice, including this weekend) I wouldn't want to move Halak for a prospect goalie though, although the Habs could use a good goalie prospect on the farm (Cedrick Desjardins has been decent in his rookie year but if the Habs get injuries to their goalies, yikes)

I would hope that if Halak is traded, it will be in a package to improve the team for next year, as the Habs could be in real trouble if they lose all their UFA's.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

If Koivu leaves, I could see some interest from Gainey in a deal for Briere if other options don't pan out. I'm personally not interested in Briere and the length of his contract, but I'm not Gainey.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Price4Prez

Halak vs J.V.R straight up

Price4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:25 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Lupul + Claude for Halak + 2nd

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:25 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Prez View Post
Halak vs J.V.R straight up

no

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:26 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Lupul + Claude for Halak + 2nd
Giroux goes no where. Maybe for Mason or Rinne or another young franchise goalie

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Garo

There is no real reason to trade Halak now.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:33 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Giroux goes no where. Maybe for Mason or Rinne or another young franchise goalie
I know. . I just want a chance to watch him live again (saw him a lot in gatineau, and now i live in MTL during hockey season).

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote