HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Can Brian Burke do it?

Old
04-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

vCash: 500
So, you're using NCAA numbers to predict career potentials?

This guy has Dustin Penner written all over him.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:32 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
So, you're using NCAA numbers to predict career potentials?

This guy has Dustin Penner written all over him.
Who, Hanson? That'd be a pretty successful career for him, Penner's an NHL regular.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
The Maple Leafs will eventually be very similar to the NY Yankees in regards to the money situation and signing players to lucrative , big money deals. People should all be prepared for Burke to completely change this team around, and with power, and now with unlimited funds behind him expect a lot of free agents to land in Toronto.
Salary Cap.

Sorry for bursting your bubble.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
After all of this and you missed the point.

I meant jealous about the particular signings... not the future of the team. (you'll also notice the the guy who I was directing the comment towards is an Islander fan..).

?

If it makes you feel better to think jealousy's involved with my comments,then knock yourself out.

You won't find even 1 post from me saying that I want Hanson or Bozak.A few weeks ago I went into a Gilroy thread and posted a response.

If Leaf fans are impressed with the Bozak signing,why care if others aren't throwing props at Burke?

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:50 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Leafs are paying Bozak, as if he were the 1st overall pick in the draft.Think that might have a little something to do with Burke getting him inked?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=273615

The Toronto Maple Leafs won the Tyler Bozak sweepstakes on Friday, signing the NCAA centre to a two-year entry level contract that could be worth almost $4 million per season if he achieves all bonuses.The 23-year old Regina, Saskatchewan native, who scored eight goals with 15 assists in 19 games with the University of Denver Pioneers, will not play for the Leafs this season.
To be fair, Bozak will have an incredible rookie season if he ends up making 4 million so I don't see the downfall. Gilroy is a different situation, he is considered a UFA that can sign for whatever he wants instead of the entry level contracts both Hanson and Bozak got. Gilroy could really end up burning a team since he is asking for an average of 3 mil per season.

If the Leafs missed out on Gilroy I wouldn't be too upset, I think that contract is a little much for a UFA college player. Gustavsson would be a very good pickup imo. The Leafs need a backup next season and Toskala is in his final year of his contract so it might be worthwhile to see if they can find a diamond in the rough.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:56 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
If it makes you feel better to think jealousy's involved with my comments,then knock yourself out.

You won't find even 1 post from me saying that I want Hanson or Bozak.A few weeks ago I went into a Gilroy thread and posted a response.

If Leaf fans are impressed with the Bozak signing,why care if others aren't throwing props at Burke?
I was debating with you about whether or not the Bozak signing was bad. I didn't say anything about Burke. I wouldn't of said anything to you if you said if the Bozak signing was "alright" or "meh" or whatever... but you seem to be under the opinion that it is a BAD signing. I assumed jealousy because I really can't see how someone would consider it a bad signing.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Calder?

If it's unlikely that he'll be top 5 in voting for the Calder, competing mainly against teenagers five years younger then him, then explain to me how he's worth even remotely that much money?
The Calder trophy is NOT included for type B bonuses. Ways to make the $2M:
1) Top 5 in voting for Hart, Selke, Richard (no vote - based on goals)
2) Winning the Conn Smythe
3) Top 10 in goals, assists or PPG (min 42 games)
4) First or 2nd team NHL all-star

In other words - there is almost NO way he's going to make the $2M bonus.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:50 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:

Who's dim?
I wasn't clear enough the first time?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:55 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post

Can you link me to where you found it saying the Calder Trophy doesn't count for Type B bonuses?

Old
04-12-2009, 11:55 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
I was debating with you about whether or not the Bozak signing was bad. I didn't say anything about Burke. I wouldn't of said anything to you if you said if the Bozak signing was "alright" or "meh" or whatever... but you seem to be under the opinion that it is a BAD signing. I assumed jealousy because I really can't see how someone would consider it a bad signing.
I didn't say it was a bad signing.For the 4th or 5th time,I said that

1.That huge contract had a lot to do with getting Bozak signed.
2.Being able to spend to the cap ceiling,having cap space and being willing to wildly outbid other teams didn't make Burke an amazing gm (like the OP wrote he was).

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:57 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I assumed jealousy because I really can't see how someone would consider it a bad signing.
Use the search function, there were plenty of Leaf fans that also thought jealousy was the reason people criticized the Eric Lindros signing, the Jason Allison signing, the Andrew Raycroft trade, the Pavel Kubina signing, the Jason Blake signing, etc. Jealousy isn't the issue, common sense is.

Several Leaf fans couldn't see how people considered those bad moves either.

I'm not saying this is a bad signing, on the contrary, I actually think its a pretty good one considering how low-risk it is and how poor the Leafs youth situation is right now.

That being said, I'm not sure why you are getting defensive that people are dismissing the OP's notion that this is somehow and amazing signing and the rest of the league should be marveling at Brian Burke's genius.

So far the man has acquired Brad May, Martin Gerber and a handful of injured Tampa Bay Lightning players and some college free agents.

Forgive the rest of the league if they just haven't seen that glimmer of genius yet.

Old
04-12-2009, 12:02 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
I think its been said that perhaps the greatest success this season has been that of the coaching staff. So perhaps the best strategy is to sign the best young players available and see what Wilson and co. can do with them.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post

Actually there are type B bonuses for winning the Calder, it's just that the team and the player can't negotiate any special deals like they can for Hart, Jennings, Selke, Norris, Vezina, Conn Smythe and Richard trophies. Winning the Calder earns you 212K in bonuses, paid by the league.

In theory Bozak could have huge bonus clauses for finishing in top 5 for any of the major trophies (Hart, Selke, Richard) and get the 2M plus the money paid by the league and type A bonuses.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote