HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm | Pit

Old
04-10-2009, 05:36 AM
Andrew B

vCash: 500
Edm | Pit

-First, NHL revenues are up 5%, which equates to 59.5 Million cap space (Roughly). LINK

To EDM:

Jordan Staal
Eric Tangradi

To PIT:

Lubomir Visnovsky
Robert Nilsson

Why Edmonton does this:
MacT is gone, with Lowe stepping even further away from the organization. Tambellini will have the opportunity to build the team he wants, which is rumored to be bigger. Jordan Staal is the perfect complimentary center to Sam Gagner moving forward, it also gives the Oilers a big, future, top 6 winger, exactly what the team could use, and also dumps some money to potentially sign Bouwmeester and/or ride out the untradeable years of Horcoff's contract, aswell as Penner's. About Visnovsky's NTC, I think either facing a lost, rebuilding team, or playing for one of the Elite in the league, he would elect to be traded.

Why Pittsburgh does this:
Gonchar is aging, and with the cap going up, the Pens get a replacement for Gonchar as well as a strengthened blue-line for another deep push next year. Also adds a skilled top-6 winger for Malkin, it scares me to think what Nilsson could do with a player like Malkin.

Obviously this would be the start to the re-imagining of the Oilers, about freaking time.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Huge no from Pittsburgh, Gonch may be ageing but he's playing some of the best hockey of his career, by the time he actually needs to be replaced it will be with Letang and Goligoski. We aren't going to spend the little spare cap we have on another top pairing offensive defenseman when we already have a superior one and need that money to put wings around the two headed monster. Not to mention moving Staal who logs 20 minutes a night just opens another big hole for us and being on the hook for Lubo for another what 4 seasons at 5.6 mill? If Staal was to be moved then the center piece in return is a winger not another offensive dman, and who is this "skilled top-6 winger" we are adding? all I see is a guy with 9 goals in 63 games this year who is 24

Last edited by Morozov: 04-10-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:24 AM
AK

Definite no.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Ghostbuster

Hard no from the Oilers side. Visnovskys are best player and probably the only one I would keep from last years team.

Picking up Staal gives us a backup of centers as well.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:31 AM
JTG

There wasn't a lot of thought put into this.

Edmonton doesn't need more centers.

Pittsburgh doesn't need more offensive defensemen, or under performing wingers, and would probably rather have Tangradi over Nilsson. I also don't think they would have the cap to take on nearly ~3.6 million extra in salary.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:33 AM
cassius

Wow - talk about highway robbery. Hell no.

Why exactly do the Penguins need another offensive D?

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:34 AM
kmillzy5

I just puked in my mouth. .

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I'd rather see Kennedy bumped up to the top six instead of trading for someone like Nilsson.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:37 AM
SeventyOne*

This is hilarious, a MASSIVE NO from the pens.

SeventyOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Oh dear God...no from Pens...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

To Pit- Kevin Bieksa, Mason Raymond, Kyle Wellwood
To Van- Jordan Staal

Pittsburgh gets Raymond to play alongside Malkin or Crosby in the top 6, Wellwood replaces Staal as the 3rd line centre and Bieksa can log huge minutes in all situations on the backend.

Vancouver gets a 2nd line centre to play with Ryan Kesler.

*Steve Bernier or Michael Grabner could also be substituted for Raymond or Wellwood*

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Jaded-Fan

I used to think Canadians knew a lot about hockey.

Reading proposals here involving Pens' players, mostly Staal, Malkin and even of late Crosby from Oiler, Montreal and Toronto fans over the past couple of years I see that I was mistaken.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:41 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

BTW thanks to the OP for giving me my first legitimate "LOL" while reading HFBoards. You've outdone yourself with that deal sir.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:42 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
To Pit- Kevin Bieksa, Mason Raymond, Kyle Wellwood
To Van- Jordan Staal

Pittsburgh gets Raymond to play alongside Malkin or Crosby in the top 6, Wellwood replaces Staal as the 3rd line centre and Bieksa can log huge minutes in all situations on the backend.

Vancouver gets a 2nd line centre to play with Ryan Kesler.

*Steve Bernier or Michael Grabner could also be substituted for Raymond or Wellwood*

HA. Bieksa, Raymond and Grabner for Staal? I like that a lot but no one in Vancouver would.

Old
04-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

This is ****ing terrible, and I doubt anyone could come up with a worse fit for Pittsburgh if they tried.

Gonchar's "aging" only in the sense that he's getting older like every other human on earth...he's still better than Visnovsky's ever been, and the Pens have Letang playing superbly and a great offensive d prospect in Goligoski treading water in the minors waiting for an opportunity anyway. Dealing Staal (at all, really, but especially) for a redundancy like that would be silly.

Further, we're not going to trade a good, huge, hard working PF prospect for a lazy, soft, inconsistent winger like Nilsson.

Get this garbage out of here.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Giggli G

Visnovsky is by far the best player in the deal. I don't really feel we should trade our #1 defenseman, top 15 in the league for a second line centerman. Gilbert, maybe.

People just don't realize how good Visnovsky is defensively.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:13 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
Visnovsky is by far the best player in the deal. I don't really feel we should trade our #1 defenseman, top 15 in the league for a second line centerman. Gilbert, maybe.

People just don't realize how good Visnovsky is defensively.
sigh

Old
04-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
HA. Bieksa, Raymond and Grabner for Staal? I like that a lot but no one in Vancouver would.
It was suppose to be Raymond or Grabner.

Bieksa, Raymond or Grabner, Wellwood

It's a steep price to pay but IMO Staal is going to go on to be something special. A 1st line centre that can physically dominate the opposition defensively and chip in with 30 goals, 70-80 points. Those players are very hard to come by.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Jonjmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
-First, NHL revenues are up 5%, which equates to 59.5 Million cap space (Roughly). LINK

To EDM:

Jordan Staal
Eric Tangradi

To PIT:

Lubomir Visnovsky
Robert Nilsson

Why Edmonton does this:
MacT is gone, with Lowe stepping even further away from the organization. Tambellini will have the opportunity to build the team he wants, which is rumored to be bigger. Jordan Staal is the perfect complimentary center to Sam Gagner moving forward, it also gives the Oilers a big, future, top 6 winger, exactly what the team could use, and also dumps some money to potentially sign Bouwmeester and/or ride out the untradeable years of Horcoff's contract, aswell as Penner's. About Visnovsky's NTC, I think either facing a lost, rebuilding team, or playing for one of the Elite in the league, he would elect to be traded.

Why Pittsburgh does this:
Gonchar is aging, and with the cap going up, the Pens get a replacement for Gonchar as well as a strengthened blue-line for another deep push next year. Also adds a skilled top-6 winger for Malkin, it scares me to think what Nilsson could do with a player like Malkin.

Obviously this would be the start to the re-imagining of the Oilers, about freaking time.
Adjust you cap to 55mm or so. What Bettman doesn't mention, he is spinning, is that while at the end of the regular season revenue may be up, that's before the exchange rate of the CAD is figured in. When that happens, revenue is flat. The other factor here is that the NHLPA has used a 5% "inflation" clause to bump the cap the past 2 years. Since the players will be paying back ~18% of their salaries this season they aren't likely to go along with that 5% bump again. So the net loss will be a ~5% reduction.

Jonjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
sigh
Sigh yourself. I understand if you don't want anymore defenseman (to be honest, I think you could definitely use one), but to say there isn't fair value is ludicrous and completely overvaluing Jordan Staal.

Old
04-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Sigh yourself. I understand if you don't want anymore defenseman (to be honest, I think you could definitely use one), but to say there isn't fair value is ludicrous and completely overvaluing Jordan Staal.
Well compared to the Oiler proposal for Crosby made yesterday this proposal admittedly is a brilliant bargain. Only by comparison mind you, not in reality. I stand by my Canadian generalization above. Hard to not generalize after the wealth of evidence on this board over the last two years. This thread being an example.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Staal for Visnovsky might be fair in terms of their play right now. You could argue Visnovsky might be playing better, but he's also 12 years older than Jordan and that's the deal killer.

Tangradi has a good chance to be a better player than Nilsson. He might not be. I'm not psychic, but the Pens would be foolish not to keep him and find out for themselves.

And Why would we need another D-Man?
Our Core D-Men Signed Beyond This Season
Gonchar
Letang
Orpik
Eaton

Good Prospects
Goligoski (A Top Prospect. He played well for the Pens before the vets got healthy this year and relegated him back to the minors)
Grant (He's still in juniors, but has some talent and could be a good NHL D-Man)
Lovejoy (He's a +40 something in the AHL right now)

I don't see any need for another D-Man.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Well compared to the Oiler proposal for Crosby made yesterday this proposal admittedly is a brilliant bargain. Only by comparison mind you, not in reality. I stand by my Canadian generalization above. Hard to not generalize after the wealth of evidence on this board over the last two years. This thread being an example.
I guess you buy into the endemic overvaluing of Jordan Staal, and young players in general, on HFBoards.

Visnovsky has always flown under the radar, though so I guess it isn't entirely your fault for making false generalizations about 30 million people.

Before you start getting too pretentious, take a look at what real hockey minds think of Visnovsky:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...mpid=rss-wigge

Scroll to the last third of the article.

Old
04-10-2009, 02:40 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Visnovsky >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Staal

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Staal for Visnovsky might be fair in terms of their play right now. You could argue Visnovsky might be playing better, but he's also 12 years older than Jordan and that's the deal killer.
No, it isn't even close to fair value based on current play. Visnovsky was on pace to easily outscore Jordan Staal as a #1 Defenseman playing against top lines with a ridiculously low goals against/60. Trading Vis for Staal straight up would set our franchise back at least three years. Even taking to account Staal's likelihood of improving the Oilers don't do this deal.