HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phi - Atl

Old
04-09-2009, 02:47 AM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Phi - Atl

To Phi - Lehtonen, 2010 1st, 3rd line winger or equivalent prospect
To Atl - Briere, JVR, 2009 SJS 3rd

There was talk at the trade deadline that Lehtonen was on the block I'm assuming because Atl doesn't believe they will be able to re-sgin him. If it's money that's holding them back then I'm not certain Atl would want to take on Briere's contract.

I know everyone hates Briere contract but it's not bad for a PPG true #1 center. Kovalchuk would have a legit #1 center to set him up and Atl would be getting a true blue chip prospect and future top line winger in JVR. They also get a 3rd to add more prospects for the future.

The Flyers get a true franchise goalie (provided he can stay healthy). They get cap relief in sending Briere to Atl letting them keep the rest of their current roster in tact. The Flyers get a first rnd pick in NEXT years draft (I'm not even going to ask for this years lottery pick, that's just plain stupid to even suggest).

Flame away but hey, at least I'm willing to put up our top prospect in my trade proposal. Any deal the Flyers make where we take on salary (Lehtonen will likely get around 5 mil in an extension) the other team is going to have to take about equal salary in return.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:56 AM
teme

Forget about picks, prospect, Briere. Simply Lehtonen for JVR is fair value I guess, but I still don't think Thrashers would do it. They need a #1 goalie more than they need another good prospect.

Briere to Atlanta is an interesting idea, and has been debated before, but don't expect anything more than a late pick back. He simply has no trade value.

teme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:05 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
Forget about picks, prospect, Briere. Simply Lehtonen for JVR is fair value I guess, but I still don't think Thrashers would do it. They need a #1 goalie more than they need another good prospect.

Briere to Atlanta is an interesting idea, and has been debated before, but don't expect anything more than a late pick back. He simply has no trade value.
If that's the case then the Flyers are better off to wait and offer Lehtonen a 5 mil offer sheet and just pay Atl a 2010 1st and 2nd. That pick won't be anywhere near the value of JVR.

And yeah, a PPG #1 center and former captain that lead his team to two consecutive conf finals has no value. That's why a half a dozen teams were trying to sign Briere, Drury and Gomez, that's why Mont offered Briere more money than he got in Philly, that's why Gomez and Drury got more than Briere, because he has no value.

Last edited by phlocky: 04-09-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old
04-09-2009, 07:44 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
danny won't be waiving his NMC, so its moot, but i could definitely see Atlanta being interested in him. sure, his contract is daunting, but that team is starving for veteran talent and has had a hard time giving their star player a decent center. Atlanta might be willing to take a plunge and grab briere.

maybe briere+SJS3rd for lehtonen? not sure what kind of value kari is boasting these days; i've heard thrashers fans range from loving him to hating him.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 08:37 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
If that 3rd liner is Colby Armstrong, I'll do it.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 08:42 AM
AintLifeGrand

To Atlanta: JVR, Briere

To Philly: Pavalec, Hainsey, MTL 2nd

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:16 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

So we're dumping a bad contract for another bad one?

Old
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

the reasoning behind moving Lehtonen has nothing to do with being able to pay him and everything to do with him being perma-injured

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:26 AM
turkinaa

Him being a big injury risk I can't see paying that much for him. If he's just really blocking Pavalec and they won't be able to resign him/worried he won't be healthy, maybe it will just be worth seeing if he gets an offer sheet and letting him be turned into picks.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:40 AM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If that's the case then the Flyers are better off to wait and offer Lehtonen a 5 mil offer sheet and just pay Atl a 2010 1st and 2nd. That pick won't be anywhere near the value of JVR.
The compensation on a $5M offer sheet is not a 1st and a 2nd.

It's 4 1st rounders.

I really think you guys should take Pavelec though.

blankspace6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
twenty2

If it's a 2009 1st, Lehtonen, and Colby Armstrong for Briere, JVR, and SJS 2009 3rd, I might consider it.

Still huge overpayment from Philadelphia:

Briere > 2009 1st (right now obviously and possibly in the future)
Briere > Lehtonen
Briere > Armstrong

JVR > 2009 1st (JVR is would have been drafted higher and is higher along in his development
JVR = Lehtonen? (very high end prospect for injury prone goalie)
JVR > Armstrong? (No doubt in my mind JVR could play on the 3rd line by mid-season next year. On top of that he has higher potential than Armstrong and he's younger)

Re-evaluating it I don't even do that deal.

*CLICK*

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
If it's a 2009 1st, Lehtonen, and Colby Armstrong for Briere, JVR, and SJS 2009 3rd, I might consider it.

Still huge overpayment from Philadelphia:

Briere > 2009 1st (right now obviously and possibly in the future)
Briere > Lehtonen
Briere > Armstrong

JVR > 2009 1st (JVR is would have been drafted higher and is higher along in his development
JVR = Lehtonen? (very high end prospect for injury prone goalie)
JVR > Armstrong? (No doubt in my mind JVR could play on the 3rd line by mid-season next year. On top of that he has higher potential than Armstrong and he's younger)

Re-evaluating it I don't even do that deal.

*CLICK*
You'd take Briere and JVR over MSP or Duchene?

Old
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
BladesofSteel21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
To Atlanta: JVR, Briere

To Philly: Pavalec, Hainsey, MTL 2nd

Flyers don't even pick up the phone unless Lehtonen is involved.

BladesofSteel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 12:46 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
The compensation on a $5M offer sheet is not a 1st and a 2nd.

It's 4 1st rounders.

I really think you guys should take Pavelec though.
LOL, no it's not. That what it would have been 2 years ago but the cap went up and hence the compensation limits went up an equal percentage.

Old
04-09-2009, 12:54 PM
AC Le Rock

No thanks. JVR is going to be awesome once he's done in the AHL. And Briere is a beast on the PP and in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lehtonen, but I'd much rather the Flyers keep Biron for the time being and draft some solid goalie prospects over the next 2 or 3 years and let them develop. It's a wiser, less expensive decision and ultimately will help us better in the long run IMO.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

makes no sense for either team

at this point the thrashers are more likely to keep lehtonen(because none of his injuries this year have been conditioning related, he is just really unlucky) over pavelec

pavelec is still 2-3 years away from being close to an nhl starter, lehtonen when healthy is one of the top 10 goalies in the league

JVR=2009 first rounder(most likely pick #4)
briere<lehtonen

so big over payment by atlanta and philly would probably rather hang on to jvr than risk on a draft pick they may or may not be as good as he is

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 01:42 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
makes no sense for either team

at this point the thrashers are more likely to keep lehtonen(because none of his injuries this year have been conditioning related, he is just really unlucky) over pavelec

pavelec is still 2-3 years away from being close to an nhl starter, lehtonen when healthy is one of the top 10 goalies in the league

JVR=2009 first rounder(most likely pick #4)
briere<lehtonen

so big over payment by atlanta and philly would probably rather hang on to jvr than risk on a draft pick they may or may not be as good as he is

Briere has less value than Lehtonen? The injury-prone PPG forward has lesser value than the injury-prone average #1 goalie?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 01:44 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
LOL, no it's not. That what it would have been 2 years ago but the cap went up and hence the compensation limits went up an equal percentage.
You're both wrong.

http://www.nhlscap.com/offer_sheets.htm

Quote:
Amount Compensation Due

$863,156 or less None
$863,156 - $1,307,812 3rd round pick
$1,307,812 - $2,615,625 2nd round pick
$2,615,623 - $3,923,437 1st and 3rd round pick
$3,923,437 - $5,231,249 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick
$5,231,249 - $6,539,062 Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick
$6,539,062 or more Four 1st round picks
So if your offer sheet is for $5M, you're sending us a first, second, and third rounder, assuming the cap stays the same.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Briere has less value than Lehtonen? The injury-prone PPG forward has lesser value than the injury-prone average #1 goalie?
to the thrashers he sure as hell does

best goalie in franchise history>guy who i seriously doubt would mesh well on our top line

it has been proven kovalchuk plays best with big power forwards and with little, an average sized goal scorer, as his RW any center on that needs to fit that role. white has done well but in the end he is really a 2nd liner.

everyone assumes that the thrashers are looking for an all-star center for kovalchuk but that's really not the case. they simply need a guy who can play great in both ends and has size and the speed to keep up with kovy

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:28 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:

best goalie in franchise history>guy who i seriously doubt would mesh well on our top line

it has been proven kovalchuk plays best with big power forwards and with little, an average sized goal scorer, as his RW any center on that needs to fit that role. white has done well but in the end he is really a 2nd liner.

everyone assumes that the thrashers are looking for an all-star center for kovalchuk but that's really not the case. they simply need a guy who can play great in both ends and has size and the speed to keep up with kovy
well, briere certainly has the speed

i dunno, i think briere could certainly be a decent weapon alongside kovalchuk.

Old
04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
mercury

Quote:

That may be, but you can't just put "Briere < Lehtonen." That is clearly inaccurate objectively. You may not need Briere (the Flyers really don't need him anymore, either, but he's nice to have), but that doesn't mean he is an inferior hockey player.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:

With no intention to be mean, this doesn't mean much.

As for what Atlanta is looking, I think pretty much anyone.

They lack of everything.

Brière is top talent while Lethonen isn't. It would be a step. Not a big one but, hey, they should take whatever's available out there.

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Briere is not the type of forward the Thrashers need. They score enough...they can't stop opponents from doing the same.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Briere is not the type of forward the Thrashers need. They score enough...they can't stop opponents from doing the same.
best defense is a good offense?

how has bogosian looked? i kind of figured he'd be a big help at fixing some of the defensive troubles in atlanta.

Old
04-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Bogosian's been good. Unlike Niclas Have A Goal, he's interested in stopping opponents before they get into shooting range.

Next year we're going to have Kovalchuk, Peverley, White, Little, Kozlov, and either Armstrong or maybe Duschene or Kane in our top six. We don't need top six forwards. We need two good vets that are decent on the PK and perhaps one stay at home defenseman.

What we really need is a reliable starter in net.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote