HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Buffalo @ Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

vCash: 500
Buffalo @ Atlanta

Good gawd what an exciting game. Big hits, come from behind OT victories, great saves, and a ton of fights. If I didn't know any better, these two might as well have been division rivals tonight. Seemed like a lot of bad blood spilling all over the place. I normally just have a game on when I come home from school for backround noise, however I kept getting drawn to the couch to intensely watch the game.

Even Ilya Kovalchuk was getting into the mix, exchanging (gloved) punches with known heavyweight Milan Bartovic. Even more shockingly, Andy Sutton scored a pair of goals!

In the end, the Sabres came back from a 3 to 1 deficit with 13 minutes to go in the third to wrap it up in OT (largely in part to Francis Lessard's stupidity).

Anyways, as an objective hockey fan watching tonights contest, I must applaude the show that both teams put on tonight. This is the emotion that you like to see from two teams regardless of their current standing with 10 games to go.

Old
03-17-2004, 10:13 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I'll applaud as well. Not the first time these 2 put on an entertaining game. I try and catch it whenever these 2 match up. Never leaves me disappointed.

I was standing about 2 inches away from my tv biting my nails off when they pulled Biron with 9 left in the game on that long power play.

Old
03-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
I'll applaud as well. Not the first time these 2 put on an entertaining game. I try and catch it whenever these 2 match up. Never leaves me disappointed.

I was standing about 2 inches away from my tv biting my nails off when they pulled Biron with 9 left in the game on that long power play.
For non-division rivals, they have worked up a rather robust feud in the past couple years.

All around a fun game to watch.

Old
paxtang

Wasn't big on Peters going for a supposed rematch against Lessard for beating Boulton, then turtling. Seems like he is turning into the new Brashear, that's 3 turtles this year.

Old
Fan-of-#9

Peters beat the crap outta Brennan. Peters is really emerging as a true heavyweight, he is just pummelling everybody right now...Boulton on the other hand

Old
03-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Wasn't big on Peters going for a supposed rematch against Lessard for beating Boulton, then turtling. Seems like he is turning into the new Brashear, that's 3 turtles this year.
Since the "code" is dead, it did result in the Sabres getting a 7 minute powerplay and their 2nd goal. Massive momentum shift that he created by drawing that penalty.

Granted, I hate turtling to do it.

Old
03-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Peters was an absolute monster against Brennan.

As far as the incident with Lessard, I wish we knew more about the situation, but Peters had no chance to get his gloves off at all. Lessard needs to learn to pick his spots better--again, I say that without knowing what was said. But from my view, it looked like Peters was watching the faceoff rather than Lessard.

Old
03-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Lessard needs to learn to pick his spots better--again, I say that without knowing what was said.
I think Heartley has been picking a lot Lessard's spots this year, but it was tough to say on that one.

Petrovicky threw a pretty bad knee on Dumont that the league should be looking into, it seemed fairly intentional and Ruff looked like he was going to lose it when Petro wasn't even ejected.

I know ATL isn't competeing for much right now, but Nurminen's going to be kicking himself over that O.T. goal..... gotta have that one.

Old
03-17-2004, 11:08 PM
Takeo

Chances are we won't make the postseason, but for the youngest team in the league, they can sure put on a show.

Old
03-17-2004, 11:11 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Peters was an absolute monster against Brennan.

As far as the incident with Lessard, I wish we knew more about the situation, but Peters had no chance to get his gloves off at all. Lessard needs to learn to pick his spots better--again, I say that without knowing what was said. But from my view, it looked like Peters was watching the faceoff rather than Lessard.
Peters owns Brennan, he dropped him twice in one fight earlier this year as well.

Peters now has a reputation for turtling to draw penalties, so I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt. Lessard goes for the early jump, he doesn't square off, just like Domi. Peters turtled. Whether it is right or wrong isn't up to me, but I thought it was a punk move and just a small bit of what is wrong in hockey, lack of respect. Lessard is trying to make a name for himself, just like Peters. Lessard was trying to get payback for Peters rocking Brennan, and Peters should have wnated payback for Lessard beating Boulton, but he took the disrespectful way out. He got a win, but gained a bad rep in the process that may bite him back later in his career, just like it has bit Brashear.

Old
03-18-2004, 04:25 AM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
Petrovicky threw a pretty bad knee on Dumont that the league should be looking into, it seemed fairly intentional and Ruff looked like he was going to lose it when Petro wasn't even ejected.
He definitely deserved a misconduct. I hate it when a player gets around another only to have his leg cut off.

Poor Dumont, he had a rough game...getting lit up, kneed, but hey he scored

That was a very fun game. The Thrashers don't really care who they play, they don't sleep walk through many games. They have to be one of the most irritating teams to play against. Especially after being beaten 7-2 the game before.

I didn't see the end of the game had to go to dinner.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:55 AM
Mats_Hallin

Peters blowing kisses to the Atlanta bench (Lessard?) and then turtling on Lessard was a punk move. Peters seems to be quite a *****.
Great game!!!!!

Old
03-18-2004, 06:44 AM
ManuelCalavera
La-La-La-Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats_Hallin
Peters blowing kisses to the Atlanta bench (Lessard?) and then turtling on Lessard was a punk move. Peters seems to be quite a *****.
Great game!!!!!
Ah, its good to have any attitude on a team. We havent had that since Barnaby left...unfortunately, Barnaby made sure that he pissed everyone off, including his coach, GM, and teammates...

Old
03-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Blatny Spears

It was a great game indeed. Fortunately, I was there and got to see it in person. Unfortunately, my boys lost. Kudos to the Sabres for clawing their way back. I really thought we had it sewed up at 3-1.

Peters and Lessard ... a disaster waiting to happen. A great fighter who's also a great turtler lining up next to a dense wannabe enforcer. The dense guy loses nine times out of ten. It wasn't just the goal on that seven minute power play that hurt us but the energy we had to expend killing it off. Peters ticked me off with his actions, but you have to tip your cap to him. He played Lessard like a fiddle.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:35 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Peters beat the crap outta Brennan. Peters is really emerging as a true heavyweight, he is just pummelling everybody right now...Boulton on the other hand

Quote:
Peters owns Brennan, he dropped him twice in one fight earlier this year as well.
I taped the game because I knew Brennan and Peters would go again. As far as early in the season when they played the Kings, they only fought once and it was draw. AM is a lame-ass when it comes to suiting up heavyweights, and when Brennan and Peters did the old spin the helmets, he didn't have another shift (almost 10-15 games). Brennan got the early part of the fight, and Peters got the latter.
As for last night i'll give the nod to Peters, but his helmet didn't fly off by osmosis, Brennan got a couple of licks in, and was man enough to go the penalty box. Where did Peters go? You need to knock Brennan's ass out, because he'll keep coming at you, he also gave Brown a nice nose full of blood in the second period.
As for Peters turtling, not to big on it, but he's in my top five list of heavyweights!

Old
03-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Fan-of-#9

I don't think there is anyone in the league with a meaner right hand than Peters right now. Earlier in the year, he gave Domi the meanest right hand I've seen in awhile, Domi fell for a moment but got right back up...Domi is pound 4 pound the best fighter in the NHL.

Old
03-18-2004, 12:58 PM
paxtang

A) Peters dropped Brennan twice in both their fights. Peters OWNS Brennan, those are two solid wins.
B) I'd say Matt Johnson has a bigger right hand than Peters, as does Parker and Cairns, and Fedoruk a bigger left. Then Peters. He does have lots of power.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:00 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
A) Peters dropped Brennan twice in both their fights. Peters OWNS Brennan, those are two solid wins.
B) I'd say Matt Johnson has a bigger right hand than Peters, as does Parker and Cairns, and Fedoruk a bigger left. Then Peters. He does have lots of power.

I wouldn't say he owns him, or else Brennan wouldn't go after him all the time. I still think their first fight in LA was a draw. But you may see it different. When a guy can't skate to the penalty box by himself, than maybe you can say he owns him. But in both fights both of them were throwing bombs and both landing. Last night Peters got him with the last three shots, that were pretty effective.

I agree with Matt Johnson, and Cairns. But Ryan Flinn re-arranged Scott Parker's nose (Colorado) with a few bombs. And Parker hasn't been the same since, he rarely throws these days.

Closed Thread