HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic Playoff expectations

Old
04-10-2009, 07:52 PM
dmonk
doughberle

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk

So, what do you expect and what do you consider to be a success. Never mind who they play in first round, just what do you want them to do, how far to go to feel satisfied and proud of Canes.

Try to be realistic and not to cocky.

Personally, I will consider season a success if Canes are out in 1st round in 6 games. Everything above that and passing first round will be above my expectations, and I will applaud this team if they can do that. Everything less than 6 games and I'll be just a bit dissapointed.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 07:59 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Forcing at least a 6 or 7 game series in the first round would be a great success for this team after where they were not even 3 months back.

We'll see who we draw before I go any further then that.

edit:

Now that we have the Devils as our draw I'm expecting at the very least a 6 game series. Realistically I think the Canes are going to the second round, and if Montreal can upset Boston (and they're one team that I think can do it) I fully expect the Eastern Conference Finals.

Last edited by DaveG: 04-12-2009 at 06:00 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I think I'm on the same level as you guys. Getting out of the first round or losing in an extremely competitive 6 or 7 game series would satisfy my expectations.

04-10-2009, 08:13 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Well 6 or 7 game series and out in the first round is a bare minimum. I'm still gonna be pissed if we don't make it to the 2nd round though. I'll be satisfied if we go deep in ECSF.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Eh, pretty much the same line of thing. This team was down and out no more than a month ago, so just legitimately making it (no sneaking in at the 7th/8th) is a big accomplishment.

I think my expectations will depend on which team shows up for Game 1. If the team we saw for the last month shows up, I want the 2nd round minimum. If we see the team we've seen for most of the season, forcing a game 6 is enough.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:31 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

No idea what I expect... in the playoffs anything can happen. I will say I don't expect us to go in 4 or 5 games in the first round though.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:45 PM
semin4captain

Agreed with the above posts. Really I am just happy that we made the playoffs.

Also, I want Babchuk to score a goal (and Gleason ).

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:42 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I will be "satisfied" with a close, first round exit. What I expect, however, is more.

This run, despite playing some non-quality opponents, has proven that this team has what it takes to compete with anyone. Why they decide to turn it on at the last moment I'll never know. We saw this last year and to lesser extent, the year before that. I expect that this team is capable of making at least to the semi's if not farther. The East is wide open any they are capable of running with any team. Whether they actually put forth the effort will be the deciding factor.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Clark Gillies

I will base this not on how I feel now versus 2 months ago.
I fully expected the team to make the playoffs this year as I did the past two. Losing out on the last day of the regular season did not change my opinion of the talent level on this team. Hence a first round quick exit could not live up to my preseason expectations.

If they lose in the first round -- it will be a dissapointment, regardless of who they play.

I would be satisified with a second round loss if it is to Boston or Pitt and we are fairly competitive.

Based on Wards Play since the break I expect this team to make it to the eastern conference finals - this is not being cocky, I have felt all season this team has had the right mix of talent, and is much better defensively than most people give them credit for - People hear Corvo or Pitkanen and htey have preconceieved notions rather than evaluate actual on ice defense they are playing.

That being said regardless of what happens I am already extremely proud of this team and the run the put up, that will not change.

Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:08 AM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
We're going to get pwned hardcore.

Either that or, because the Universe hates me and gets a kick out of seeing me suffer, we'll make it to the SCF and lose to CS Violation Removed Detroit.

Bank on it.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:12 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

To look back at where this team was just a few months ago, I consider it a success that we're even headed to the playoffs. I think almost everyone here was prepared to kickstart the rebuild at the trade deadline and look to the future, I know that was what I wanted. Now, we're headed to the postseason and we're headed to the postseason rather comfortably. I NEVER could've expected this type of turnaround, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't carry over into the playoffs. Especially if we're able to get Cullen back into the line-up.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

1 series win minimum

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 08:44 AM
caniac247

I'm already proud of the team for getting into the postseason and not just sliding in. As long as we don't get swept in the first round, I'll be fine with a first round exit.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I expect them to play hard and be beaten by the first team that matches, not exceeds, their desire to win. I only want to see the team exit knowing that they didn't get out worked. That is my sole judgment regarding the playoffs. I don't think that can be measured in games played.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 05:50 PM
rj

Quote:
Duh, Stanley Cup.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Old Uncle

If every player comes out and works hard and smart, that's enough for me. Then let the playoffs unfold a game at a time and I will relish each one as it comes and replay the highlights all summer. (what's left of it when they're through)

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:35 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

This year, I could honestly see us anywhere from a late first round exit to winning the cup. I honestly have no clue how we'll do.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:40 PM
snakepliskin

Our history shows that when we get in we can do some damage--for maurice's survival he had beeter win the CUPP!

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:46 PM
NorthStar4Canes

The 2002 Canes made the playoffs with the fewest number of wins East or West (35), and in the East only Montreal had fewer points (87 vs. 91), but fought their way to the Cup Finals and losing only 2 games per series up to that. I expect this team to manage a way to make it at least that far.

Last edited by NorthStar4Canes: 04-14-2009 at 01:03 PM.
NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:00 PM
DeathFromAbove

I can honestly say I have no idea what this team is going to do in the playoffs this year.

If we can take New Jersey out in the first round, we can do some serious damage the rest of the way.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote