HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O.T - Degree in Political Science vs. Degree in Economics

Old
04-10-2009, 10:35 PM
habsfan88

vCash: 500
O.T - Degree in Political Science vs. Degree in Economics

Hey guys...so i've got a university decision to make...I'm accepted to McMaster for Economics and Concordia for Political Science. What would I be better off with a degree in career-wise? My guess would be economics, so that makes me wanna go to Mac, but on the other hand how could I turn down going to school in my beloved city of Montreal and also NOT having to face calculus and statistics that would probably be involved with economics (I suck at math). Is there anyone here who are currently going to Uni for Economics or Poli Sci or have already graduated with a degree in either of those? Please post and give me your advice cause deciding is a biatch. (I don't have to decide till like may 28th for Mac and like June 1st for Concordia)

habsfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:37 PM
overlords
Hfboards

degree in computer science

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Garo

If you really want a career, you'd be better off with Economics.

Personally, I'm in Political Science because I really like the whole subject, but I'm fairly undecided career wise.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Magic33

Im doing Poli Sci and Psych at concordia right now. I plan on going to law school afterwards (hopefully). I find the classes pretty interesting, and for me, there are a lot of law classes offered in the poli sci department which i find great. You can prob do a poli sci with a minor in economics or vice versa. I know the economics dept is part of the arts and science department so it wouldnt be that difficult to do.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Domenic

I have both, and currently work in finance. I would go Econ, but whichever you do, do an honours.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
degree in computer science
Comp sci is for losers...Computer Engeneering is where it's at.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:49 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by avim86 View Post
Comp sci is for losers...Computer Engeneering is where it's at.
Computer engineering is for losers who like solving stupid and annoying hardware specification-related problems; software engineering is where the action at !

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Computer engineering is for; software engineering is where the action at !
They're all for losers. Problem settled!

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Agriculture

Who do you know is becoming a farmer?

The Price of commodities and food is going to go up due to inflation.

The people making the extra money that wil be floating around will be the ones making stuff. Miners, Farmers, anything that is directly related to commodities.

Production of food is going down, all the Farmers will be retiring within the next 10 years. The world is getting bigger we aren't going to eat less. Price of food is going up up up

No one has money to open a new mine. The Price of metals will go up up up

I was in Engineering, then decided I had to save the world and switched to Poli Sci and Economics. They are both very interesting and cool. But the smart money is on Agriculture at Guelph or something.

Maybe when I'm done this degree, I can trade it in for one while it's still worth more to think and ponder then it is to produce actual things

Hope it helps

Cheers

Edit: I make gratuitous use of words like all and everything. By this i mean usually A lot.

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:58 AM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan88 View Post
Hey guys...so i've got a university decision to make...I'm accepted to McMaster for Economics and Concordia for Political Science. What would I be better off with a degree in career-wise? My guess would be economics, so that makes me wanna go to Mac, but on the other hand how could I turn down going to school in my beloved city of Montreal and also NOT having to face calculus and statistics that would probably be involved with economics (I suck at math). Is there anyone here who are currently going to Uni for Economics or Poli Sci or have already graduated with a degree in either of those? Please post and give me your advice cause deciding is a biatch. (I don't have to decide till like may 28th for Mac and like June 1st for Concordia)
If you do not like/suck at maths, you will be miserable in a degree like Economics and most related jobs.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:40 AM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Mining Engineering

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:35 AM
bipolarhabfan

History .

It all depends on what it is that you want to do and the job you want in the future. Job-wise economics makes more sense. In contrast, PoliSci has limited applicability to the outside world in terms of job opportunities. You have to be more creative in this regard. The key issue is math, however. If you hate it you will be hating your education and career.

BTW, how do things work in Quebec. Is a joint-major or double major possible? Or, are you stuck with the major you have chosen from the start? Moreover, which school is better for both fields? This way you may be able to take a few classes in both and decide if you hate one or the other. Here in BC, that would be an expensive proposition but I think tutition in Quebec is very reasonable.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 08:55 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
Agriculture

The people making the extra money that wil be floating around will be the ones making stuff. Miners, Farmers, anything that is directly related to commodities.

Production of food is going down, all the Farmers will be retiring within the next 10 years. The world is getting bigger we aren't going to eat less. Price of food is going up up up

I was in Engineering, then decided I had to save the world and switched to Poli Sci and Economics. They are both very interesting and cool. But the smart money is on Agriculture at Guelph or something.

Maybe when I'm done this degree, I can trade it in for one while it's still worth more to think and ponder then it is to produce actual things

Hope it helps

Cheers

Edit: I make gratuitous use of words like all and everything. By this i mean usually A lot.
There is no inflation...

Agriculture in Canada lives on government help, and this may not last. There will be less and less farmers and more corporations employing cheap labor. Certainly not a god option for your future.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 08:58 AM
LeMAD

Economy is the most interesting out of the two, but you'll do maths for the rest of your life...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Garo

Well, you can still take some economy classes in PoliSci, without having a lot of maths outside of some statistics.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

If you shake a tree 50 unemployed BA's will fall out.

Whatever happened to people studying sciences and math?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:13 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
If you shake a tree 50 unemployed BA's will fall out.

Whatever happened to people studying sciences and math?
What happened was people didn't want to study science and math

Life is too short to waste on things you don't like. I spent my whole time at CEGEP in sciences and I hated it.

Oh, and a BA is not worth much on its own, but that's why you go and get a Masters or go to law school. I'm not so sure how useful a bachelor's in science is on its own, either.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:35 AM
DeVries*

I did an honour in Poli Sci at University of Montreal ; it was really interesting, but I stopped after one year. The problem is that with a Poli Sci degree, you will probably end not working in politics, unless you already got some contacts and/or money. And if you already got money or friends, you can bypass the studies. Just look at every members of the government ; none of them had poli sci studies or knowledges. It's an elite of money, not of the mind, that what's pissed me off even if I knew it before.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:07 AM
DrMailloux

Not evryone can become good economist, as for politician, anyone can become president or prime minister these day but you have to be dumb and crooked to be successfull...

Id definatly go to McMaster for Economics

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Crystal Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
I did an honour in Poli Sci at University of Montreal ; it was really interesting, but I stopped after one year. The problem is that with a Poli Sci degree, you will probably end not working in politics, unless you already got some contacts and/or money. And if you already got money or friends, you can bypass the studies. Just look at every members of the government ; none of them had poli sci studies or knowledges. It's an elite of money, not of the mind, that what's pissed me off even if I knew it before.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!
thats not true i saw in la presse yesterday a job oppening and the requirement was political science deegree , workind for the federal ; 96 000$... but maybe i'm just tryin to convice myself since im going to mcgill in political science... ill try to get good grades and get accepted in law after 1 year... does anyone know what kind of grades i have to maintain ?

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
Agriculture

Hope it helps

Cheers

Or they could go to university, get a high paying job, buy a farm and get farmers to rake in the cash for them.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Unless you want to go to Law school there is no reason for you to go for Poli. Sci. There are no jobs for you outside of law.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:56 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
If you suck at math the decision is already made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan88 View Post

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:00 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Agriculture is very capital intensive with tiny profit margins. Imagine owning 3 gas bars/convenience stores and making 30K a year
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
There is no inflation...

Agriculture in Canada lives on government help, and this may not last. There will be less and less farmers and more corporations employing cheap labor. Certainly not a god option for your future.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:07 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

College Virginity Rates by Major:

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote