HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O.T - Degree in Political Science vs. Degree in Economics

Old
04-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Thinkbig

vCash: 500
Get a good a GPA and enter in law or something with good salary.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:08 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan88 View Post
Hey guys...so i've got a university decision to make...I'm accepted to McMaster for Economics and Concordia for Political Science. What would I be better off with a degree in career-wise? My guess would be economics, so that makes me wanna go to Mac, but on the other hand how could I turn down going to school in my beloved city of Montreal and also NOT having to face calculus and statistics that would probably be involved with economics (I suck at math). Is there anyone here who are currently going to Uni for Economics or Poli Sci or have already graduated with a degree in either of those? Please post and give me your advice cause deciding is a biatch. (I don't have to decide till like may 28th for Mac and like June 1st for Concordia)
Math and Statistics can be learned with a bit of work. A degree in Health Economics would set you on the easy path to well paid employment especially if you take a few of the comparative effectiveness courses at McMaster (they are probably the best university in North America in this field).

The bottom line however is that you're most likely to succeed and get more out of a degree in a field you are interested in, so the choice once again becomes yours to make. Good luck.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:19 AM
SOLR

What you do in school as really little influence on how well you do on the job market, in my experience. (Keeping the medicine option off the table...) The most valuable thing that your getting out of any diplomas is the proof that you can show determination / perseverance.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
The most valuable thing that your getting out of any diplomas is the proof that you can show determination / perseverance.
This.

Count of DannyKristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
What you do in school as really little influence on how well you do on the job market, in my experience. (Keeping the medicine option off the table...) The most valuable thing that your getting out of any diplomas is the proof that you can show determination / perseverance.
Bingo!

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:38 PM
shutehinside

If it's any help, I went graduated from Concordia in Poli Sci. They I know first hand they have great teachers and a great program. I currently work in finance so if I had to do it all over again I would definately have gone for Economics/Finance.
As good as Poli Sci is at Concordia, it's really more of a gateway BA with not much real world use unless you plan on going into politics.
Economics on the other hand will get you into anything that Poli Sci will but also open many other doors for you.
If you were my kid, I'd say to go into Economics or Finance in lieu of Poli Sci, hands down.
Hope that helps.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:51 PM
mrCoffea*

I went to Concordia for Poli Sci, and if you want to go into Law School it's a great springboard

There are a lot of idiots at Concordia, it's relatively easy to get amazing grades without putting too much effort and a lot of the teachers are great. Concordia is all about figuring out what is necessary to succeed, and then following that formula. You can get a really good education there. However, I'd do something else after, you won't get much out of a poli sci degree

If you choose to take Poli Sci at Concordia, let me know and I can give you some pointers and answer some questions about any teacher/class I've taken

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:00 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
I think that's true to a certain extent, but in today's state of affairs not quite so. I know plenty of people that have graduated recently with very good GPA's and can't get a job no matter how hard they try. The only stuff they can find is stuff they would get without having a degree anyways...

Too many people get a degree these days, that piece of paper doesn't mean much anymore. You should be going to University to get an education, not just to say you got a degree. In any given class I've taken at Concordia, the vast majority of the people there are attending just to "go through the motions" and spend half the time surfing the internet and not listening to the teacher. Then you have the people that never show up to class in the first place, but they are taking a spot someone that actually wanted to attend could have used (but the class was full and they couldn't get in). Then these same people that don't pay attention or don't attend wonder why they aren't getting A's in every single one of their classes and they go ***** on rate my professor saying that it's the teacher that's unfair (and not them that didn't put any effort at all into the class)

I have no respect for people like that, their diploma means nothing

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:08 PM
couris

Should I do Chartred accouting in Concordia? Thanks.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:26 PM
C4KOMI

If you wanna be unemployed,
more than 20G$ in debt
and only finding low end jobs
and hate going to work
than Ploi Sci is for you.
Unless you have good connections
in government and rich daddy
than go for Ploi Sci and get into
Law School.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:33 PM
ari1160

Economics is the better choice, it has more options once you graduate. right now am at McMaster studying statistics and doing a minor in economics in my 3rd year. but i gota tell u hamilton is one boring city but the school is great, top 5 in Canada i think which makes it harder to get into second year admission depending on programs. and first year Economics is all simple math and graph if you work hard should be fine but second year there are more math and knowing calculus comes in handy sometimes.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:48 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
I did an honour in Poli Sci at University of Montreal ; it was really interesting, but I stopped after one year. The problem is that with a Poli Sci degree, you will probably end not working in politics, unless you already got some contacts and/or money. And if you already got money or friends, you can bypass the studies. Just look at every members of the government ; none of them had poli sci studies or knowledges. It's an elite of money, not of the mind, that what's pissed me off even if I knew it before.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!
This is insanely false. Many politians have degrees in political science, particularly those with high appointed jobs. In addition, for getting a beaucratic job, political science degrees are a huge step above anything else.

I have never understood the "which will be better career wise" argument. **** the jobs, study what interests you, education is for yourself not someone else. If you have the drive and determination, you can get the same jobs with both degrees, you just have to be desireable to the people that hire you in the first place.

I just finished my first year on my way to a PoliSci degree and I enjoy it alot, it is one of those subjects that gives you a nice hodge podge of everything, and it is incredibly interesting, to me atleast. I chose Political Science because it is my favourite subject, and I want to learn more about the world around me.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:49 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KOMI View Post
If you wanna be unemployed,
more than 20G$ in debt
and only finding low end jobs
and hate going to work
than Ploi Sci is for you.
Unless you have good connections
in government and rich daddy
than go for Ploi Sci and get into
Law School.
Maybe the problem is you, not the degree.

Old
04-11-2009, 01:58 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
This is insanely false. Many politians have degrees in political science, particularly those with high appointed jobs. In addition, for getting a beaucratic job, political science degrees are a huge step above anything else.
Bring stats here. And for a bureaucratic job, you can have practically any degree you wants if you got some connections. Stop being idealistic.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Crystal Met

Quote:
Bring stats here. And for a bureaucratic job, you can have practically any degree you wants if you got some connections. Stop being idealistic.
well obama did a degree in political science before going into law school

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:20 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
I think that's true to a certain extent, but in today's state of affairs not quite so. I know plenty of people that have graduated recently with very good GPA's and can't get a job no matter how hard they try. The only stuff they can find is stuff they would get without having a degree anyways...
That's exactly what I am saying. Maybe they just aren't good when it comes to job searching or worse, their GPA doesn't translate into competency once in the workforce. The main reason for that being that jobs are social while studying is not. Social skills can carry a career by themselves.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:25 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenBonk View Post
well obama did a degree in political science before going into law school

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:40 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Out of 38 cabinet positions, 7 have degrees in political science, wether IR or polisci. Also, there are another dozen with a bachelor of arts, which I guaruantee that had a large political basis of.

So I am sure you can do some basic math, thats almost 20% of the cabinet having a degree in political science.

These numbers were researched by myself from Wikipedia and other sources.

Also, for the beaucratic point. Did you even read my comment? I said they weigh political science degrees as one of the highest, because many beaucratic positions are involved with analzying policies, one of the strongest components of a political science degree.