HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

OTT-CGY Backup Swap

Old
04-11-2009, 12:17 AM
TheHMan

vCash: 500
OTT-CGY Backup Swap

This is a swap designed to fill the organizational needs of both clubs.

OTTAWA:
Curtis McElhinney (for Binghamton)
2009 4th Round Pick

CALGARY:
Alex Auld

Fairly small trade from both sides. Kiprusoff has started an astounding 75 games which may wear on him in the playoffs. The fact that McElhinney has started very few times, and hasn't performed well in relief of Kipper doesn't indicate that he is ready to perform at the NHL level. Calgary has a legitimate need for a solid backup to give them a secondary option in goal and allow Kipper to get some rest. Alex Auld has posted some excellent numbers in Ottawa and has given Ottawa a chance to win every night. He's among some of the better backups in the league and has performed as a starting goalie for stretches.

Ottawa has traded for Pascal Leclaire and has Brian Elliot which has performed very well in his first season for Ottawa. In the best interests of Brian Elliot's development, they would want him to play as backup to Leclaire. Ottawa has very poor goaltending depth at the AHL level and would have interest in seeing McElhinney step in next year and continue his development there.

Thoughts?

Last edited by TheHMan: 04-11-2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: revised the deal, removed the late pick
TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:18 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

McElhinney isn't worth a bag of pucks.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Alex28*

What the hell are you smoking?

Calgary would have to offer a 2nd or 3rd for any self respecting club to touch McElhinney with a 10 foot pole. He is atrocious.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
I seriously hope that the OP is a Flames fan.

Continue his development ? He's 25.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:32 AM
GeeoffBrown

McElhinney is a free agent. Just sign him if you want him. The Flames aren't going to.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:33 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
What the hell are you smoking?

Calgary would have to offer a 2nd or 3rd for any self respecting club to touch McElhinney with a 10 foot pole.
It's a move to clear up cap space for Ottawa and open up a roster spot next season for Brian Elliot. We also don't have any passable prospects at the AHL level either, so McElhinney can be the starter for Binghamton. We're not too concerned with upside, but if he can buy us some time to develop a goalie at the AHL level, then he should be fine.

Auld carries a 1M dollar cap hit, that's why the 5th/6th round pick is being thrown in. They could sign a FA backup and not participate in this deal, so that's why it's being thrown in as incentive.

Old
04-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
It's a move to clear up cap space for Ottawa and open up a roster spot next season for Brian Elliot. We also don't have any passable prospects at the AHL level either, so McElhinney can be the starter for Binghamton. We're not too concerned with upside, but if he can buy us some time to develop a goalie at the AHL level, then he should be fine.

Auld carries a 1M dollar cap hit, that's why the 5th/6th round pick is being thrown in. They could sign a FA backup and not participate in this deal, so that's why it's being thrown in as incentive.
Calgary needs a backup more than any other team in the league. They have not won a single game without Kiprusoff. They'd probably throw more for Auld than any other team out there (and Auld is one of the best backups at his salary).

Giving him an extra pick just to take him away is laughable.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Scrambllllle

Quote:

Ottawa does not need to throw in a pick to move Auld. He's played quite well and would be a very solid backup for a team.

McElhinney wouldn't offer anything to Binghamton that Jeff Glass already doesn't (which isn't a lot really)

Scrambllllle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:00 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambllllle View Post
Ottawa does not need to throw in a pick to move Auld. He's played quite well and would be a very solid backup for a team.

McElhinney wouldn't offer anything to Binghamton that Jeff Glass already doesn't (which isn't a lot really)
McElhinney put up a 35-17-1 record in 2006 with a .917sv% and a 2.13 GAA. He had respectable numbers last year as well. I don't see how he wouldn't be better than Glass.

I suppose the extra pick may not be necessary, so the deal could probably do without it. Either way, it would be nice to remove Auld's cap hit next year and using it for something else.

Old
04-11-2009, 01:08 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

nope. I dont think auld should be too hard to trade. He's a solid backup/good temporary starter for only 1M and his contract is expiring after next season. Sounds like a perfect trade target for a team in need of a backup, actually.

Ottawa would only be looking for a pick or a young ahl starter (leland irving is the only option on calgary, and i think his value is still higher than auld's, despite developmental disappointments.).

Here are some teams i think might be interested in auld this summer (correct me if i'm wrong)
Calgary (though i think they're better off trying irving), Chicago (though niemi and crawford are still there), Colorado (who knows what their goalies will look like next year), Columbus (they will need a backup better than dubie.), Dallas (tippet doesnt trust stephan, turco needs to rest), Florida (if anderson leaves as UFA for a starter's job/more money), Minny (if harding is traded for an upgrade on offense, they will need a backup), Joisey (weekes and clemms are both UFA, would probably prefer to resign either of them before trading for a backup), NYI (isles have a playoff chance next year, and will want better insurance than yann danis and joey macdonald if dipietro goes down again.), Rangers (vally is UFA), Philly (no goalies signed for next year, auld would be cheaper than resigning nitty as a backup.), Phoenix (if montoya is not ready to backup bryz), Pittsburgh (garon is FA, no obvious replacement)

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Oblivion

I think the pick would have to be going the other way. Also, I'm not sure Auld is a great fit with the Flames. Flames in recent years have dressed a roster close to the cap with a cheap backup. I'm not sure what Auld makes but he likely makes too much considering he signed in Ottawa as a 1B goalie.

I could more likely see them using Keetley or pursuing a discount player goaltender. Ideally someone like Kevin Weekes who played incredibly well this year, but likely still isn't considered a starter and might not have a large amount of interest given the current goalie market (he may also have played his way to a contract that is outside of the Flames payroll idea). I'd actually consider him an ideal, if not unrealistic replacement.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Kamina
Amok

ahahahaha are you ****ing kidding me

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Ouroboros

Auld is such a reliable backup that he will likely be playing behind Leclaire in Ottawa.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:19 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I think the pick would have to be going the other way. Also, I'm not sure Auld is a great fit with the Flames. Flames in recent years have dressed a roster close to the cap with a cheap backup. I'm not sure what Auld makes but he likely makes too much considering he signed in Ottawa as a 1B goalie.

I could more likely see them using Keetley or pursuing a discount player goaltender. Ideally someone like Kevin Weekes who played incredibly well this year, but likely still isn't considered a starter and might not have a large amount of interest given the current goalie market (he may also have played his way to a contract that is outside of the Flames payroll idea). I'd actually consider him an ideal, if not unrealistic replacement.
It's a 1 Million dollar contract that expires next year. I'm aware that the Flames are pressed cap wise and there could always be cheaper options (could find someone for 800k) so that's why I got the feeling that Ottawa would have to throw in a late round pick. Completely impractical for Ottawa to be carrying three goalies in Leclaire(3.8), Elliot(~1.2), and Auld(1.0), but perhaps just enticing enough for Calgary to do the swap.

I don't care who we get next year in the AHL, and I don't follow minor league goalie movements and who would be available to play in the AHL either. That's why McElhinney looked half decent, not enough to cut it in the NHL yet, but has solid numbers in the AHL.

EDIT: Binghamton was just eliminated from the playoffs, Glass allowed 5 goals on 18 shots. Yeah, we need an upgrade in the AHL.

Last edited by TheHMan: 04-11-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old
04-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post

using keetley next year would be only marginally better than mc.e

weekes would be nice though. he'd add a splash of color too

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:49 AM
Redline

Nah, i'd rather keep AA. If needs be he can handle the load for awhile

Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Kiddington
heehats

McElhinney will never be an NHL goalie. The only reason he's even up now is that it wouldn't make any sense to have a true developing prospect like Leland Irving be called up to sit the bench.

A goalie like McElhinney is perfect for Europe (I'm thinking the DEL in Germany or Switzerland, since that's where all the North Americans like to play; maybe even the KHL). He'll probably leave by next season.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 05:06 AM
VelvetJones

Trade deadline?

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:07 PM
AK

Why would the Sens deliberately and plainly get worse?

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
It's a 1 Million dollar contract that expires next year. I'm aware that the Flames are pressed cap wise and there could always be cheaper options (could find someone for 800k) so that's why I got the feeling that Ottawa would have to throw in a late round pick. Completely impractical for Ottawa to be carrying three goalies in Leclaire(3.8), Elliot(~1.2), and Auld(1.0), but perhaps just enticing enough for Calgary to do the swap.

I don't care who we get next year in the AHL, and I don't follow minor league goalie movements and who would be available to play in the AHL either. That's why McElhinney looked half decent, not enough to cut it in the NHL yet, but has solid numbers in the AHL.

EDIT: Binghamton was just eliminated from the playoffs, Glass allowed 5 goals on 18 shots. Yeah, we need an upgrade in the AHL.
Ottawa gives up an NHL-capable goalie and a draftpick while getting a goalie who is not good enough for the NHL in return, how is that supposed to be a good trade?

If the Senators want to trade a goalie, they will trade Auld for a pick. If they want to get a better goalie for the farmteam, they will sign one. it doesn't make any sense to trade for a lesser player while also giving up the draftpick.

The move may be somewhat okay if Ottawa was right at the cap and needed to drop salary immediately or risk losing other players, in every other case it's just horrid. As they aren't in such trouble, it's indeed a horrid move.

Sanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:21 PM
SpezDispenser

I'm sure Murray will field offers for Auld this summer, but the way he played for us is nothing short of miraculous. I'd hope to get a 3rd rounder for him - and I really don't think that's overvaluing him in the least.

Calgary would be a better team immediately with him on board.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Hale The Villain

I would just like to point out that Auld has been really great for us this year despite the team struggling. He has played like a #1 goaltender and a AHL backup isn't enough for him

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Lunatik*

I think McElhinney doesn't even get a qualifying offer... uinless he takes the FLames to arbitration... where any fair result would be he play for free

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Anasazi

No. If we trade Auld i'd want a pick, i'm still pulling for Elliot to back up Leclaire next year...

Anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I think McElhinney doesn't even get a qualifying offer... uinless he takes the FLames to arbitration... where any fair result would be he play for free
Likely the Flames would decline the decision anyways and release him.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote