Notices

April 11, 2009... the regular season finle

Old
04-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
fyi Vancouver is 2-0-2 against Anaheim so I dunno why you want them to face us...
because Giguere is usually a solid playoff performer... as is Pronger, Niedermayer, Getzlaf and Selanne... they have also been very hot as of late... at least i think thats why... personally i could care less about who the Canucks play in the playoffs... beyond Calgary none of it matters to me

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:12 PM
getoverit

Anaheim has been the best team in the west down the stretch, what happened in regular season means nothing, they will be tough to play against, and if you do get through, will you be healthy. Trust me , Detroit and Sharks are preying it happens

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Treliving The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
fyi Vancouver is 2-0-2 against Anaheim so I dunno why you want them to face us...
Because the Ducks have beaten the Canucks the last two meetings. Vancouver beat them once in October and once in December.

Anaheim is also one of the hottest teams in the NHL right now.

Treliving The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Grannys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrondl View Post
Blaming Kiprusoff for any of this and saying he is a disgrace is one of the most ignorant and idiotic things I have ever seen a Flames fan say about their team.
100% agree!!

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
100% agree!!
maybe you guys need to watch a little closer... watch how many goals chicago scores in our 4 game series that go either 5 hole, between the arm and body or are simply because of poor positioning... I bet it'll be 40-50%

those goals are the result of poor concentration and poor positioning

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:45 PM
NuxFan09

Now that the Canucks have taken the division I'm on your side for this game. To be honest I don't actually care who wins but I'm not rooting against the Flames, put it that way. This team is much more talented than their record suggests and the injuries they've suffered hurts...a lot. It would be nice to see the Flames meet the Canucks somehow in the playoffs. I'll definately be rooting for them in the series against Chicago.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:55 PM
BearChi

hockeycentral said that JDD and McElhinney start toinght
it would be nice McElhinney win toinght even if its a meaningless game

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Wags

Quote:
No kidding.

Especially those who think Kiprusoff has been terrible. He hasn't had an amazing year, but he's given us a chance to win many games this year that nobody else bothered playing in.
Agreed...his play hasn't blown me away, but he is far from the reason this team is struggling. I think there have been a few games he has been brilliant, and has been solid for most.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
bam09

Quote:
Blaming Kiprusoff for any of this and saying he is a disgrace is one of the most ignorant and idiotic things I have ever seen a Flames fan say about their team.
Why? Sure he has been peppered with too many shots, and he makes some great saves during games, BUT it's usually after we are down 3-4 goals. I want a goalie who will stop them, and not let in softies when the game is actually competitive.

You can use any excuse you want, but an elite goalie can take the heat, Kiprusoff can't. We are one and done in the playoffs.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy4hart View Post
hockeycentral said that JDD and McElhinney start toinght
it would be nice McElhinney win toinght even if its a meaningless game
At least you know McElhinney will be giving it his all since for him this game will be significant and I actually would like to see him get a win.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
maybe you guys need to watch a little closer... watch how many goals chicago scores in our 4 game series that go either 5 hole, between the arm and body or are simply because of poor positioning... I bet it'll be 40-50%

So i've decided to watch the highlights of the all 4 Hawks games.

Game 1
Kipper was absolutely amazing. He allowed all 6 goals but none of them 5 hole or ones that slipped through and he committed atleast 5 acts of grand larceny. Flames played piss poor defense all night long. No bad goals allowed by Kipper.

Game 2
Good breakaway save on Kane in the third and good desperation first save on the OT winner. The first goal he let in was a rebound and the second he was screened on the PP.

Game 3
On the Hawks first goal they got Kipper moving around and out of position. Havlat scores.
2 fantastic saves off of Versteeg and Wisneiki
2nd goal. Ladd top shelf on a delayed penalty.
3rd goal Verstteg goes 5 hole on a breakaway after Phaneuf coughed the puck up on the PP.
4th goal. Dustin Byfglien spinning shot... top shelf. Kipper maybe shoulda had this one.
Khabibulin was amazing. Not a great game by Kipper, you need your goalie to bail you out sometimes.

Game 4
Odd man rush. Cross-crease. havlat scores
Kipper robs Buff.
Ladd from the slot. No one in front. top shelf.
Breakaway save on Ladd.
Deflection goal by Burish.
5-hole bad goal.
Breakway save on Buff.

Really Kipper's only bad game was the third game. He wasn't the reason the Flames lost all 4 games. Your bet on 40%-50% would be wrong.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Abonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post

Sure, kipper's had his rough games...but your comments on him are still way off. Disgrace??? Come on...the guy is a workhorse for our team....and he has 4 more wins than any other goalie in the league. 45 wins while backstopping a team that at seperate times this year has been unable to play defence or score goals. The Flames are prone to giving up a lot of scoring chances, that is reality (and not Miika's fault).

There's no doubt he's played poorly at times, but he has also been our best player and won hockey games largely by himself. I looked and couldn't find the most recent updated standings for the "Molson Cup" - (which keeps track of our 3 star selections over the course of the year), but I did find a link to the standings as they were at the start of February.... http://flames.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page Kipper is unsurprisingly in first place in the overall standings.

I would like to know who you think has contributed more to the Flames success this year than Kipper????? (And there has been success over the course of the season - if the year was as big a catastrophe as you would have us believe we'd be in 10th place).

Also, Zero for the last EVER on the PP is far more of a "disgrace" than anything kipper has done this season.

Abonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
There's a very good reason why the Flames are 23rd in GA/G and it isn't Kipper.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:26 PM
bam09

I swear Marc Crawford gets an erection when Patrick O'Sullivan even moves. Enough about hearing every ordinary thing he does.

Old
04-11-2009, 10:30 PM
bam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
There's a very good reason why the Flames are 23rd in GA/G and it isn't Kipper.
Take away the loyalty, from the first 2 seasons he has and I guarantee that you don't want him back.

You all want him to return to the goalie we had 4 years ago. He shows flashes of it, but it's rarely for more than 10-20 minutes.

It's time to get a new goalie.

And comparing him to McElhinney is brutal. That's like comparing Bertuzzis numbers to Roy's for the sake of making Bertuzzi look great. Obviously one is better than the other.

Old
04-11-2009, 10:42 PM
DoubleJ96

I'm just as disappointed as anyone that we lost the division and that our last 2 months has sucked, especially since I really hate the Canucks, but I'm getting all negative about the playoffs. This is still a team that can do damage, they just need to turn this around and get healthy.

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:45 PM
DoubleJ96

And our D has been terrible, just terrible lately so you can't put all the blame on Kipper it's just doesn't make sense

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:58 PM
bam09

You do realize there is a good chance that our only real shutdown guys are shelved until the end of the 2nd and/or 3rd round right?

Phaneuf as my shutdown man? I'd almost rather Bertuzzi as a Selke candidate.

Old
04-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
Take away the loyalty, from the first 2 seasons he has and I guarantee that you don't want him back.

You all want him to return to the goalie we had 4 years ago. He shows flashes of it, but it's rarely for more than 10-20 minutes.

It's time to get a new goalie.

And comparing him to McElhinney is brutal. That's like comparing Bertuzzis numbers to Roy's for the sake of making Bertuzzi look great. Obviously one is better than the other.
Have you watched a game in the last three years? Neither Playfair or Keenan implemented a proper system while they were head coaches. Watching a game during their tenure, it seems like the team had no structure or plan. The forwards tried to score and if their opponent had a scoring chance, they just hoped their Vezina winning goalie would stop it. Honestly, how many times have the defense looked like they were out to lunch on a goal or were so poorly positioned, the other team had easy access to the net?

In the 05/06, arguably Kipper's best season as a Flames, the team was first in GA/G, and were easily the best defensive team in the league. Not only did Kipper win the Vezina, he won the Jennings too. Notice how the that team actually had a certain style of play under Sutter, where they actually worked hard almost every game? When Sutter stepped down and Playfair took the reigns, the GA/G dropped down to 11th. When Keenan took hold, the team again dropped to 16th. Are you honestly suggesting that Kipper is the sole reason for the teams decline in defensive play? Even though he was nominated for the Vezina for 3 straight seasons, including Playfair's head coaching season?

Really, looking over Kiprusoff's career in the Calgary, it's pretty easy to see that his stats were inflated by Sutter's defensive system and deflated by Playfair/Keenen's lack of defensive system. He's a good goaltender, and he's played much better than his stats indicate. Put any other goaltender in Calgary this season, and their stats won't be much better, if at all.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:20 PM
bam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Have you watched a game in the last three years? Neither Playfair or Keenan implemented a proper system while they were head coaches. Watching a game during their tenure, it seems like the team had no structure or plan. The forwards tried to score and if their opponent had a scoring chance, they just hoped their Vezina winning goalie would stop it. Honestly, how many times have the defense looked like they were out to lunch on a goal or were so poorly positioned, the other team had easy access to the net?
So wait, why should a goalie be a complete mirror of the system? Kiprusoff is so good, blah blah blah. But he needs a great defensive system in front of him? How does that make him elite?

Quote:
In the 05/06, arguably Kipper's best season as a Flames, the team was first in GA/G, and were easily the best defensive team in the league. Not only did Kipper win the Vezina, he won the Jennings too. Notice how the that team actually had a certain style of play under Sutter, where they actually worked hard almost every game? When Sutter stepped down and Playfair took the reigns, the GA/G dropped down to 11th. When Keenan took hold, the team again dropped to 16th. Are you honestly suggesting that Kipper is the sole reason for the teams decline in defensive play? Even though he was nominated for the Vezina for 3 straight seasons, including Playfair's head coaching season?
I'm not gonna argue and say there hasn't been a system. There hasn't really. BUT a franchise/elite goalie should not be a mirror of the system. You post basically proves that Kiprusoff is the product of a system.

Quote:
Really, looking over Kiprusoff's career in the Calgary, it's pretty easy to see that his stats were inflated by Sutter's defensive system and deflated by Playfair/Keenen's lack of defensive system. He's a good goaltender, and he's played much better than his stats indicate. Put any other goaltender in Calgary this season, and their stats won't be much better, if at all.
No he hasn't. He's only as good as the defense. He's a complete product of the system. His numbers basically reflect the system to a tee. That screams system goaltender.

So how in the world is he elite? Every goalie goes through a patch of great games. Kiprusoff does it enough to keep most naysayers at bay. His time is up.

Old
04-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Oblivion

Someone should tell McElhinney this game is meaningless, he's playing ridiculous right nw (end of 2). Realy pulling for him to get the W now.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:44 PM
bam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Someone should tell McElhinney this game is meaningless, he's playing ridiculous right nw (end of 2). Realy pulling for him to get the W now.
No game(minus preseason) is meaningless. Pride is on the line, and so is confidence. I don't know about you but I want our guys going into the playoffs with there heads high, and I want to know who can play and who can't.

Old
04-12-2009, 12:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
It's not meaningless when you haven't won a game yet.

And that's probably the motivation for the rest of the Flames too, it seems. They don't want their guy with the o'fer. Especially god forbid if Kiprusoff were to get hurt.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:28 AM
bam09

Mccccellllllhiiiiinnnnnnneeeeeyyyyyyyy Wwwwiiiiiiinnnnnnnssssss!

Old
04-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Al Bundy*

Good bounceback win.

Too bad Colorado couldn't do their share, because the Flames did theirs.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote