HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I would like to hear your story

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2004, 06:37 AM
mooseisloose

vCash: 500
I would like to hear your story

Hi, I am new here, and I would like to hear you story about meeting players. Have you ever met the visiting team players? Who and how did you meet them???

Old
03-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Vyacheslav
Twenty-four

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
I've met two players in Detroit(when they were Red Wings) Slava Kozlov and Yuri Butsayev. First I met Slava Kozlov and I was wearing a Kozlov Khimik Voskresensk jersey and when he say it, he said "Hey, my hometown!" and I was too nervous to say anything so I just babbled for a couple of seconds. Then I met Yuri Butsayev and I was able to say hello and how are you and all that.

03-19-2004, 10:13 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Moose, I would like to welcome you to our little corner of the planet...feel free to stop in any time!

I've not met any of the Wings yet, but I would love to...maybe someday.

Old
03-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Grift69

Send a message via AIM to Grift69 Send a message via MSN to Grift69
I remember going to an open practice like maybe 10 years ago. I remember seeing Lapointe in a green injured jersey, ya know one of those HEY DONT HIT ME IN PRACTICE ones. After practice he and McCarty were coming around to everyone in the corners and saying hi and having little conversations. Nothing big but I got to talk to both of them for a few minutes each. Then once went to a celebrity wings game help down at the joe. Sat Right next to the bench right in front of someone that Yzerman knew, so when he was done playing for the game he came by and gave the guy his gloves to auction off. He was there for awhile and asked if I wanted him to sign my Yzerman jersey, of course I complied, and we had a little conversation before he went to shower and change.

Old
03-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
Moose, I would like to welcome you to our little corner of the planet...feel free to stop in any time!

Hmmmm......I wonder who Kira would like to meet?

I'd love to meet any of the Wings, most of all I'd like to meet Steve Yzerman.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Grift69

Send a message via AIM to Grift69 Send a message via MSN to Grift69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira

Meet up with me, I'll get ya next to pavel in 5 minutes. I'm a charmer, I have my way of gettings things done.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:18 PM
detredWINgs

I've met Maltby, Yzerman, McCarty, Datsyuk, Devereaux (does that count?), Whitney and Chelios (only saw him

Met Devereaux after a game.
Yzerman same place as Devs.
Maltby and McCarty at signings at Hockeytown Authentics.
Datsyuk a few months ago at some furniture store in Bloomfield Hills for a signing.
Whitney at his house in West Bloomfield (My Uncles Girlfriend is decorating his house).
Saw Chelios near the Palladium in Birmingham with his daughters about an hour after I met Hull at Blockbuster in Birmingham.
Met Hatcher at a bloomfield Hills board meeting (he was there to see if he could put up a fence around his house.

Other than that, I know where Yzerman, Hatcher, Hull and Fedorovs old house are. PM me if you want to know exactly where those 4 live.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:20 PM
detredWINgs

Oh yeah, I also met Luc Robitaille at 2.89 Dry cleaners in Birmingham last year. I know where he used to live too if you really care.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Boomhower

I've met a bunch of NHL players, most of them now former NHL players. The only current Wing I've met is Williams. Wasn't much of a meeting, he's from my hometown and I saw him in a bar and just sort of gave him the old "congratualtion", it was the Summer after the 2002 cup win.

Also went to dinner after a game at the Joe with Dave Shaw(NYR) when I was a kid, Brian Leetch calls him the best defense partner he's ever played with.

Bill Armstrong who was the first player to ever score a "lacrosse style" goal during a game or so that's what he says, took me and one other guy aside during a hockey camp and tried to teach us how to pull off the move...... keep in mind this was even before Mike Legg made the play famous, so this was probably my most memorable meeting with a NHLer even though he didn't play in many NHL games. (and by the end of the week I could actually pick the puck up, just didn't have the english to get it around the goal post)

Last edited by Boomhower: 03-20-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old
03-20-2004, 01:03 AM
Higgy4

Wings I have met:

Gordie Howe
Ted Lindsay
Steve Yzerman
Ray Sheppard
Chris Osgood
Kris Draper
Sergei Fedorov
Martin Lapointe
Bob Rouse
Nicklas Lidstrom
Joe Kocur
Kirk Maltby
Brendan Shanahan
Darren McCarty
Mike Vernon
Jamie Macoun

I think thats it so far. Not bad, eh?

Old
03-20-2004, 01:11 AM
Higgy4

The coolest "non-Wing" I have met is Daniel Alfredsson. My wife and I took our honeymoon in Toronto ( I know...sounds cheap, but we didnt have much at the time). We were staying at the Westin in Toronto. We went to the Leafs/Sens game, which was AWESOME. It was at the Maple Leaf Gardens, so I had a blast. My wife just didnt get it...but she still had fun.

So anyway...about 2am in the basement of the Westin, I go to the gift shop. Dont know why I was there...I just was. So who is standing there? Daniel Alfredsson, Chris Phillips and Lance Pitlick of the Sens. Right away I shake their hands and tell them how much I enjoy watching the Sens...blah, blah, blah. But anyway...they stood there and talked to me for a good 3-4 minutes. Which may not seem like alot, but it did to me. I thought it was awesome. I got some pictures with the guys, and wished them luck the next night against the Leafs.

It was very cool.

Old
03-20-2004, 09:54 AM
mooseisloose

Hey, you guys are lucky to meet all them players! Is it hard to see the players at the arena?? Has anyone met the visiting team players?? I just wondered if anyone know where the visiting team usually stay at??

Old
03-20-2004, 10:07 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grift69
Meet up with me, I'll get ya next to pavel in 5 minutes. I'm a charmer, I have my way of gettings things done.
If you could guarantee that, I'd tell you to meet me at the Joe on April 3rd. I'd put you to the test.

I'd love to meet any of the guys, but you know where my heart is...

Old
03-20-2004, 02:19 PM
bosox1256

When I went to see the Red Wings play the Bruins in Boston this year. I got to the bench area right when they opened the doors. Shanahan came out early to check out the arena, in non-gear and I talked with him alittle bit and shook his hand. I didn't ask for an autograph because I figured he would say no and I realized I didn't need an autograph, talking with him was an autograph in itself.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:17 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
Other than that, I know where Yzerman, Hatcher, Hull and Fedorovs old house are. PM me if you want to know exactly where those 4 live.
LOL! Stalker? Nooooooooooo.

Old
03-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Ricci's hairdresser

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
Do you realize that besides being hockey players that these are men with wives and kids? A little respect for the families, please. Do not give out that information (and certainly not over the internet). You have no idea what loonies might be reading this board.

Talk about how they play, when you saw them at a autograph session, etc. Many times they are friendly and present in the community (that is one of the appealing things about hockey players over other sports). But please, grow up and leave their homes/families alone. Do not use their casual hellos at the dry cleaners or the fact that your brother's friend's dad is their veterinarian as a reason to spread information about their places of residence. If you happen to know their address, please do not share that information.

Last edited by Ricci's hairdresser: 03-21-2004 at 08:41 AM.
Old
03-21-2004, 09:47 AM
bosox1256

A good place to get an autograph or talk with the players is Long Island.

In long island, the players have to go outside to get on their bus and some players actually sign a few autographs. I saw Boston-NY this year and even players like Joe Thornton and Glen Murray signed a few for the fans.

Old
03-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Hendo2k

Send a message via ICQ to Hendo2k Send a message via AIM to Hendo2k Send a message via Yahoo to Hendo2k
i poured Derian Hatchers driveway/sidewalk/patio/boatwell/pad for his loft. (i wont specify the place for his privacey) was sorta weird seeing him tend to his kids and do his gardening ect right in front of me. his family is cool his brother Kevin lives 2 houses down from him. his dad Eric is really cool too, he was an old carpenter years back.... did everything for Kev and Derian when they were growing up as far as making sure they got ice time. the whole family is really, really tall.

Derian offered me and some of my crew a ride on his boat after we were finished... very polite down to earth guy. by the way guys this was last year... i was kidding around with him and his wife everytime me and the rest of the crew visited about joining the wings ect. to be honest his wife didnt like the weather up here and they didnt want to move from dallas i didnt think Derian would of signed till when i turned on the news last summer and seen him on the tube

was sorta weird cause i seen him the next day after he signed and sorta snickered... i knew Holland would get him family i would only guess was a big reason why he decided... like i said his brother and dad live in Michigan, along with other relatives.

i worked on Derians summer cottage the year before his dad Eric really sets everything up and does most the work to get the house complete by managing and keeping in touch with other crews that do work on his house.

really really good people the Hatchers... hope Derian stays close (tho i doubt it he probably has allready bought a bigger home in Bloomfield or something) cause we did work to his summer cottage where he would go after the season.

get well buddy(Derian) from Anchor Bay Concrete

Old
03-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Hendo2k

Send a message via ICQ to Hendo2k Send a message via AIM to Hendo2k Send a message via Yahoo to Hendo2k
by the way guys i'm not sure if any of you heard of Gull Island? well the derian and kevin both swing by sometimes i met Mike Modano (hes from michigan as well)out there with them one year (when they won tthe Stanley Cup) they brought it out on Gull island that year...

Gull island is famos for the jobbie nooner parties they have out there every summer (its about 10 min away from my house) pretty cool place for summer activities.

Closed Thread