HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who's the best enforcer this year?

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 01:34 PM
pantherhockey

vCash: 500
What about Darcy Hordichuk?

Old
03-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Satan81

Peters is a good up-and-comer fighter. He gained some 30 pounds in the offseason working with Sabres trainers by driving from his home in St. Catherines to Buffalo almost everyday. In the beginning of the season, he seemed to be having trouble with losing his balance on the big guys in the NHL, but has steadily improved to a top notch fighter. One negative on him is that he has already "turtled" 3 times this year and often taunts guys after fights. Nothing new from a heavy weight, but he seems to be getting cocky.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:39 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Has Brookbank loss a fight this season?

Old
03-18-2004, 01:46 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield

Peters ??? Brennan ???

Oliwa >>>>>>>>>>>>> Brennan
Oliwa >>>>>>>>>>>>> Peters
Shelley >>>>>>>>>>> Brennan
Shelley >>>>>>>>>>> Peters

Heck, I could go on all night. You must not see too many fights if you would consider either of those 2 in the top 5.
Oliwa is the league's whipping b*tch so i'm glad he's still around. Yes, I do see fights and own plenty of fight tapes and Oliwa is heavily overrated by this site. As far as Shelley goes. Besides looking like a Mongoloid, I agree he can throw heavy bombs, but he's dropped off a bit this year. Maybe we're both biased in our opinions for our fellow enforcers or post-enforcers. But anything can happen on any night. Burnett was supposed to be the best heavyweight coming out of the "A" and they have better enforcers, and Brennan whupped his ass.
Peters has a huge melon and he throws to kill, maybe you need to see him in few more brawls. I think the top ten heavyweights in this league could win on any given night, but some truly stick out.

Quote:
gotta go with Georges Laraque. apart from that one fight against the wild he hasn't lost a fight all year. Hasn't fought as much but in now contirbuting offensively. In my mind, by far the best all around enforcer
Have to agree, besides the Matt Johnson take out, he's usually pretty feared around this league. Especially by heavyweights! He just doesn't fight that much the last two seasons, probably for that reason!

Old
03-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Newfie Bruin

Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
Landgon is good...Tough Newfie like the rest of us.
Doull is a Fight per game...may not win them all but does his job

Old
03-18-2004, 01:51 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Chris Neil has been improving so much since Rob Ray was brought in last year. He's won almost all his fights so far this year. And, he's a pretty good player to boot.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:52 PM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupBound
Langdon never fights to win. He just tries to not lose, hardly a good enforcer.
Thats not true, i'm a habs fan and i'm not trying to say he's one of the best fighters in the league but what you say isn't really correct, go read the fight log on hockeyfights.com he does it every time, it may seem like he just trys to hold the other player off and he does, but only at first just to tire the other guy and then at the end he starts giving it to the other guy cause the opponent is to tired to throw any good ones back.

Last edited by eddy: 03-18-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old
03-18-2004, 02:23 PM
CupBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
Oliwa is the league's whipping b*tch so i'm glad he's still around. Yes, I do see fights and own plenty of fight tapes and Oliwa is heavily overrated by this site. As far as Shelley goes. Besides looking like a Mongoloid, I agree he can throw heavy bombs, but he's dropped off a bit this year. Maybe we're both biased in our opinions for our fellow enforcers or post-enforcers. But anything can happen on any night. Burnett was supposed to be the best heavyweight coming out of the "A" and they have better enforcers, and Brennan whupped his ass.
Peters has a huge melon and he throws to kill, maybe you need to see him in few more brawls. I think the top ten heavyweights in this league could win on any given night, but some truly stick out.

Have to agree, besides the Matt Johnson take out, he's usually pretty feared around this league. Especially by heavyweights! He just doesn't fight that much the last two seasons, probably for that reason!
Oliwa is a whipping boy? He lost maybe 2 fights this year.

Regardless. This thread is not about the best fighter, it's about the best enforcer that helps his team win. Oliwa has done just that. No stupid calls, gives his team a jump and makes room for the kids. His +\- show that he is not a liability.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:28 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Oliwa is a whipping boy? He lost maybe 2 fights this year.

Regardless. This thread is not about the best fighter, it's about the best enforcer that helps his team win. Oliwa has done just that. No stupid calls, gives his team a jump and makes room for the kids. His +\- show that he is not a liability.

alright now thats just stupid, he's lost more then 2 fights this year. To say anything less you must be blinded by homerism. Brookbank knocked Oliwa for a loop earlier this year just to name one. He has also had a hard time with Matt Johnson this year. That being said Oliwa is still my pick for Enforcer of the year. I don't think anybody does the job better then him. He is a top 10 fighter, but not the #1 IMO. and Brookbank has only lost one fight to my knowledge and that was to Shelley.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Brock

how about Jesse Boulerice?

Old
03-18-2004, 02:32 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
how about Jesse Boulerice?
AHHAHA, every fight I see with this guy he gets worked. Maybe I always catch him on a bad night but he seems to be a punching bag.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:37 PM
CupBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
Thats not true, i'm a habs fan and i'm not trying to say he's one of the best fighters in the league but what you say isn't really correct, go read the fight log on hockeyfights.com he does it every time, it may seem like he just trys to hold the other player off and he does, but only at first just to tire the other guy and then at the end he starts giving it to the other guy cause the opponent is to tired to throw any good ones back.
I am not going to read some 12 year old's review on his favorite fighter. That site is a joke, every hab and maple leaf will get votes because those teams have a lot more fans than the nashvilles and floridas etc. Langdon is not a good enforcer, if he were the Canucks would have kept him instead of going after Brookbank who is a major liability on the ice.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:39 PM
CupBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly
alright now thats just stupid, he's lost more then 2 fights this year. To say anything less you must be blinded by homerism. Brookbank knocked Oliwa for a loop earlier this year just to name one. He has also had a hard time with Matt Johnson this year. That being said Oliwa is still my pick for Enforcer of the year. I don't think anybody does the job better then him. He is a top 10 fighter, but not the #1 IMO. and Brookbank has only lost one fight to my knowledge and that was to Shelley.
He lost to Brookbank and who else?

Exactly. The guy had 30 fights this year, he lost very few of them and that's good enough for me.
Oliwa beat up Johnson earlier this year, it might have been a TKO.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:55 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
He didn't fall in to the net, he was thrown like a ragdoll by Oliwa in to the glass. Langdon never fights to win. He just tries to not lose, hardly a good enforcer.

My picks are:

Oliwa and Shelley in the West with Oliwa getting the nod for beating up on Shelley last few times.

Brasher in the East. He is a tough SOB and a solid 4th liner as well. Belak is solid as well, but has had a rough year with injuries.
Really? I guess Oliwa should have learned how not to lose like Langdon. Maybe then a raw rookie-goon like Brookbank wouldn't had KO'd him within 3 seconds.

Langdon fights exactly the same way Chris Nilan did, smart.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:56 PM
paxtang

Boulerice is a good pick IMO. Not enforcer of the year, but he is a solid fighter, sticks up for his teammates, can take a regular shift, and is decent with the puck. Your perfect enforcer. People see Downey knock him out and assume he sucks.

Old
03-18-2004, 03:05 PM
paxtang

Doull beat Oliwa, Johnson beat Oliwa, Brookbank TKO'd Oliwa, Low beat Oliwa, and Neil beat Oliwa. That's about as many losses as clear wins for Oliwa, who had a lot of draws. He's had a good season, but anyone who thinks Oliwa is some unstoppable force is fooling themsevles.

Old
03-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Has Brookbank loss a fight this season?
Yeah, Jody Shelley beat him a couple weeks ago.

Old
03-18-2004, 03:21 PM
eddy

Quote:
I am not going to read some 12 year old's review on his favorite fighter. That site is a joke, every hab and maple leaf will get votes because those teams have a lot more fans than the nashvilles and floridas etc. Langdon is not a good enforcer, if he were the Canucks would have kept him instead of going after Brookbank who is a major liability on the ice.
I'm not saying go look and see who the fans voted as the winner cause your right that wouldn't prove anything I meant read the fight log it has a description of exactly what happens in each fight, just trying to show how he does his fights, he's smart he has a strategy he uses, and though it seems boring at times to watch and just looks like he grapples the guy most of the time he turns it on at the end and wins most of his fights and you say he's a bad enforcer well if he wins most of his fights doesn't take alot of stupid penalties, sticks up for his teammates and never backs down from anyone I don't know what else you can ask for in an enforcer. Once again i'm not trying to prove he's one of the leagues best enforcers just that he's a pretty good one and seems to get the job done for the Habs and not a terrible enforcer as you seem to think.

Last edited by eddy: 03-18-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old
03-18-2004, 03:22 PM
OldTimeHockey

Oliwa is the top fighter...Yep that would explain why he's played for 5 or 6 teams by the age of 30.

Big Georges is still the guy to beat.

Brashear although i can't stand him, whoops some a$$.

Belak(rated by Laraque as the best fight he's ever had) was injured all year but hasn't lost a fight in ages.

Those are my top 3.

Old
Mike8

Quote:
I don't know what you're talking about. Do you even know what you're talking about? :p

An enforcer's job isn't necessarily to win fights. You're talking about fighters then. An enforcer's role is to fight to spark his team or to ensure the other team keeps a level of respect for your team. Langdon's done this incredibly well in Montreal.

Langdon rarely loses fights (I can only think of that Oliwa fight that barely even started), usually gets the edge in fights, averages likely the longest fights among any enforcers, doesn't take bad penalties and fights when the team needs him to. The team plays with more confidence and with more of a physical edge with him.

He's a fine enforcer and he's beaten many of the enforcers listed in this thread this season.

Old
Murphy*

Chris Neil deserves some consideration.

Old
03-18-2004, 03:28 PM
CupBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habdul
Really? I guess Oliwa should have learned how not to lose like Langdon. Maybe then a raw rookie-goon like Brookbank wouldn't had KO'd him within 3 seconds.

Langdon fights exactly the same way Chris Nilan did, smart.
Langdon is a waste. Live with it. He doesn't scare anybody.

Old
03-18-2004, 03:30 PM
CupBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Doull beat Oliwa, Johnson beat Oliwa, Brookbank TKO'd Oliwa, Low beat Oliwa, and Neil beat Oliwa. That's about as many losses as clear wins for Oliwa, who had a lot of draws. He's had a good season, but anyone who thinks Oliwa is some unstoppable force is fooling themsevles.
You must be high or something. Low and Neil got smacked silly by Oliwa. Give your head a shake people.

Neil is like Mccarty. He fights and is a decent player, but is hardly a force out there.

Old
03-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Slewfoot

If you want to combine fighting ability and scoring ability ....
How about Chris Simon ??

Old
03-18-2004, 03:34 PM
ohlund2.2

Definitely Donald Brashear..

The guy can score too.

Closed Thread