HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who's the best enforcer this year?

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupBound
Langdon is a waste. Live with it. He doesn't scare anybody.
No one scares anybody with the instigator rule in place. "Live with it."

Old
03-18-2004, 04:36 PM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
If you want to combine fighting ability and scoring ability ....
How about Chris Simon ??
True, Simon does have that good combination, if your looking at pure fighting ability I don't think he'd be up there but for good fighters that can also produce a bit he's probly one of the best.

Old
03-18-2004, 04:39 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
No one scares anybody with the instigator rule in place. "Live with it."
That's not true at all.
Quote:
Neil is like Mccarty. He fights and is a decent player, but is hardly a force out there.
Agreed.

Old
03-18-2004, 04:41 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Chris Neil has been improving so much since Rob Ray was brought in last year. He's won almost all his fights so far this year. And, he's a pretty good player to boot.
Yeah he sure owned Radovan Somik in their fight

Old
03-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
That's not true at all.
You've certainly convinced me.

Old
03-18-2004, 04:56 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Donald Brashear has a bias against him but he is the best fighter in the league who actually still fights. I've heard Laraque is better but I also hear he never drops them. Brashear doesn't need to fight all the time cause thats not his job. That is Fedoruk's job when he is in the line up. That is why Fedoruk will be the one who is gonna own Chris Neil on April 2nd and not Brashear. Still though Brashear intimidates and throws other guys off their game and when he does fight he sure as hell kicks ass...assuming most of you saw the way he man handled Rob Ray who is supposedly one of the best fighters of all time. Not taking anything away from him but he has absolutely no hockey skills.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
Donald Brashear has a bias against him but he is the best fighter in the league who actually still fights. I've heard Laraque is better but I also hear he never drops them. Brashear doesn't need to fight all the time cause thats not his job. That is Fedoruk's job when he is in the line up. That is why Fedoruk will be the one who is gonna own Chris Neil on April 2nd and not Brashear. Still though Brashear intimidates and throws other guys off their game and when he does fight he sure as hell kicks ass...assuming most of you saw the way he man handled Rob Ray who is supposedly one of the best fighters of all time. Not taking anything away from him but he has absolutely no hockey skills.

I agree that Brashear is one of the better fighters in the league , but Rob Ray has lost more fights in his career than he won...

Old
03-18-2004, 05:07 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
You've certainly convinced me.
Oh, I'm sorry. After reading your arguement, which was well thought out and supported w/ numerous facts and tidbits of info, I forgot to support mine. Silly me.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:17 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Georges Laraque(6'3 245lbs)...i'm thinking he's lost his mojo after getting smacked around this year,I thought he could never be beat but he's a wimp now and he's overpaid!

Peter Worrell(6'6 235lbs)...what a fricken pvssy this guy is...very disapointed as i thought he had heart and a brain! also overpaid.

Jody Shelley(6'4 235lbs)...like this guy as he's a gamer...but gets a crap beat out of him a little too much.

Wade Brookbank(6'4 220lbs)...Great fighter but sadly should be playing in some rec league for lack of skill...this guy is as utility as they come!

Doug Doull(6'2 220lbs)...this guy is a gamer for any fight and wins most...can he play hockey though?

Krzysztof Oliwa(6'5 245lbs)...if there was a heavyweight belt for such a thing Oliwa would win hands down this year IMO,the guy has turned into a smart tough enforcer under Sutter.

Who did i forget?
I would agree on Oliwa and would add Andrew Peters and Eric Cairns.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Punchy the Kangaroo

Old
03-18-2004, 06:04 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Zero credibilty...so I won't waste my time any more.

Old
03-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Krzysztof Oliwa(6'5 245lbs)...if there was a heavyweight belt for such a thing Oliwa would win hands down this year IMO,the guy has turned into a smart tough enforcer under Sutter.
Did we all forget that Brookbank TKO'd Oliwa? I HIGHLY doubt Oliwa would win anything hands down. I put my money on either Langdon, Doull, or Brookbank.

Old
03-18-2004, 06:08 PM
slyc

Pound for pound Francis Boullion is the man. I mean if he could find one of the same weight.

Old
03-18-2004, 06:18 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Has Brookbank loss a fight this season?
i don't know about before he became a Canuck, but he did lose one to Shelley... but they went again in the same game and Brookbank won the second one.

Brookbank's first goal he shot into and open net because the Sedins are just awsome. the second goal he had to have some hands to score. i'm not going to try and claim he has NHL skills, because he doesn't... just like 98% of enforcers out there. but he is able to play decent defense if he is playing defense, and is able to throw some great hits when he plays forward.

i'd give the award this year to either Shelley or Oliwa. they are not the best fighters and won't win them all, but unlike guys like Laraque, Brashear, etc... they know their role and they do it every night. you don't see those guys pretending they are goal scorers.... they're goons and they embrace it.

BTW: Langdon is a great fighter, a great lockerroom guy, and a great enforcer. Habs fans, don't let any dolts tell you otherwise... you picked up a gem in him. doesn't fight to win? how about the two times in a row he schooled Worrell?

Old
03-18-2004, 06:20 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz
Did we all forget that Brookbank TKO'd Oliwa? I HIGHLY doubt Oliwa would win anything hands down. I put my money on either Langdon, Doull, or Brookbank.
Langdon over Oliwa is a joke. And Oliwa beat Doull this year. As for Brookbank's TKO, you can't win 'em all. Oliwa has brutal balance anyway but he punches just as hard as anyone. Just ask Jody Shelley or Jim MacKenzie.

Old
03-18-2004, 06:21 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Most likely you're just not a Habs fan and either am I. But Langdon can definitely throw. And his bouts don't end. He'll go toe-to-toe and that doesn't usually happen with heavyweights. Mostly middleweights just go bomb for bomb.

Old
03-18-2004, 06:32 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
I'd give the award this year to either Shelley or Oliwa. they are not the best fighters and won't win them all, but unlike guys like Laraque, Brashear, etc... they know their role and they do it every night. you don't see those guys pretending they are goal scorers.... they're goons and they embrace it.

BTW: Langdon is a great fighter, a great lockerroom guy, and a great enforcer. Habs fans, don't let any dolts tell you otherwise... you picked up a gem in him. doesn't fight to win? how about the two times in a row he schooled Worrell?
Great comments! Agree 100% on knowing your role. This league has gone pansy the last ten years. To me the league has changed for the worst, guys like Nash, Cooke, and other idiots would never even be in this league ten years ago, they'd get pummeled!
You're probably a Canucks fan, so no offense on Cooke...he's a good player, but him running away from Matt Johnson a month back was disgraceful.
Enforcers should be their to protect their star players........End of story. All of sudden everyone seems to have this notion, that they need to be able to produce to play. I could go down a list of players that bring absolutely nothing to the table on every team. No scoring, no fighting, no hitting........just a warm body!

Old
03-18-2004, 06:53 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
Thanks, LaVal575. I am Canuck fan also, and gained a great amount of respect for Langdon. He is one of the most respected fighters in the league.

As far as "best enforcer this year", until someone comes along and dethrones Brashear, there is no contest imo. What ppl sometimes don't take into account is the reason Brashear doesn't fight as much as others, is that many goons do not wan't to be humiliated by him...fights often happen when a team wants a momentum shift..how does it help shift momentum in your teams favour if you get dummied by the other teams tough-guy? If anything, it can further deflate your team.

Old
03-19-2004, 12:35 AM
paxtang

A) I have these fights on my computer. I whether you want to contend the results, fine, but I know what I saw. Oliwa lost those fights that I saw.

B) Langdon is a great fighter. He survives, even though he is undersized. Who cares if he is boring? He does his job great, and is a great team guy.

C) Hockeyfights.com has some great posters who know more about hockey fights than any single one of you. Sure there are some crappy posters, but this site has its share as well. I'd rather go there for information on a fighter than here, that's for damn sure.

Old
03-19-2004, 12:42 AM
MLH

Quote:
Peters has beaten both Langdon and Doull.

Old
03-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Boulerice is a good pick IMO. Not enforcer of the year, but he is a solid fighter, sticks up for his teammates, can take a regular shift, and is decent with the puck. Your perfect enforcer. People see Downey knock him out and assume he sucks.
Oh, bless you.

I've been trying to tell people that for the longest time. Never have I seen a player's reputation take such a hard blow from one punch in a toe to toe fight. That one punch will forever stay in the minds of people. Especially since nobody cares much about Hurricanes hockey.

Boulerice has won three fights this year against heavyweights that people are talking about in this category. He beat Stephen Peat, Doug Doull, and Eric Boulton clean.

From Hockeyfights.com

Comments: Carolina goes up 1-0 and on the ensuing faceoff Doull challenges Boulerice and he obliges. Boulerice starts backing up with Doul in pursuit and they come together and Doull starts firing rights, most come up short with maybe one or two landing. During the flurry Boulerice loses his balance and goes down, but gets up. Doull continues to punch, coming up short while Boulerice is lining him up. Boulerice starts tossing the right nailing Doull, then connecting with a nice one which puts Doull to the ice.

Also, just last season he did major damage to Chris Neil.

Comments: Boulerice looked like he wanted it and Neil accepts. A couple nothing shots by each and they fall, however there is only one linesman over there and he lets em get up. The first punch that is thrown is a big right cross by Boulerice that connects and down goes Neil.

He broke Neil's jaw in that one.

He simply gets a bad rap for that one Downey fight.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:03 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeHockey
Oliwa is the top fighter...Yep that would explain why he's played for 5 or 6 teams by the age of 30.

Big Georges is still the guy to beat.
Were you sleeping when Oliwa smacked George around 10 seconds into the first BOA game this year? and then watched big george run from him in the last five!

Quote:
You do realize these guys are very big dudes were talking about here! one good punch by any of these guys is an ending punch, if you think Brookbank could get a lucky pop in every fight your crazy,besides Oliwa basicly begged him to fight the next game and Brookbank declined.

PS,Oliwa with another decision over Shelly tonight(whats that 3-4 this year?)...very nice uppercut and straight right to end the fight

Old
03-19-2004, 01:22 AM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Boulerice has won three fights this year against heavyweights that people are talking about in this category. He beat Stephen Peat, Doug Doull, and Eric Boulton clean.
Eric Boulton a heavyweight?!?!?

I'm a Sabre fan and even I can admit Boulton is a human punching bag.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:44 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartG101
Eric Boulton a heavyweight?!?!?

I'm a Sabre fan and even I can admit Boulton is a human punching bag.
Well, he's borderline but a lot of people do consider him a heavyweight. I'd classify him as more middleweight with his performances this year, but still.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:45 AM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Bertuzzi.

He's like Tyson, ONE PUNCH FOOL!

Closed Thread