HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 17th Pick

Old
04-11-2009, 08:23 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
The 17th Pick

Removed by author.

Last edited by PocketNines: 06-23-2009 at 05:21 PM.
PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

One guy who should still be available is Drew Shore. I wouldn't mind using our pick for him.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:10 PM
schronote

Drew Shore, Jeremy Morin, Zach Kassian, Calvin de Haan, Landon Ferraro, Jacob Josefson, Carter Ashton are a few I have been following lately because they will all most likely still be available around this spot. There is a possibility of Simon Despres dropping out of top 15 as well as Ryan Ellis. Scott Glennie would be a steal this late but he's who I would like to get. I would love to trade our 1st this yr, 2nd this yr, and 3rd this and next year for a higher pick in this years draft to get Paajarvi-Svensson, he is my favorite in this draft.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by schronote View Post
Drew Shore, Jeremy Morin, Zach Kassian, Calvin de Haan, Landon Ferraro, Jacob Josefson, Carter Ashton are a few I have been following lately because they will all most likely still be available around this spot. There is a possibility of Simon Despres dropping out of top 15 as well as Ryan Ellis. Scott Glennie would be a steal this late but he's who I would like to get. I would love to trade our 1st this yr, 2nd this yr, and 3rd this and next year for a higher pick in this years draft to get Paajarvi-Svensson, he is my favorite in this draft.
My favorite as well. Can you believe that just a two months ago, we we're talking about picking him?

Another option, buy out McKee, and either

A. Send the first this year, second this year, second next year, for someone like Pronger?
B. Chase after Boumeester

Then try and get a goalie like Harding. I like our offense for next season. We upgrade D and a back up goalie and I think we'll be good.

Just an option maybe.

Old
04-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Glennie could be there at 13-15

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:32 PM
execwrite

If the players are close, I like to get another D-man into the pipeline.

If Ellis or Depres fell to us that would be great.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

I think we should aviod Ellis. He is a one dimensional offensive defensemen, who i don't think will translate to the NHL. We already have Pie and such... I would trade down a spot or two if he is the best player available. However I do like Ekman-Larsson who could be had at around 15th to 17th, and Josefson or Schroeder if they fall out side of the top 10. Two of those are swedes so we should know everything about them

And on other note, i too am a HUGE fan of MSP, I would LOVE to trade up to get him. What do you think would it take to trade up if we swap picks?

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
My favorite as well. Can you believe that just a two months ago, we we're talking about picking him?

Another option, buy out McKee, and either

A. Send the first this year, second this year, second next year, for someone like Pronger?
B. Chase after Boumeester

Then try and get a goalie like Harding. I like our offense for next season. We upgrade D and a back up goalie and I think we'll be good.

Just an option maybe.
We shouldn't worry about Boumeester since he is gonna want HUGE money, and we already have a #1 D in EJ. And NO on Pronger. I just think that would be a dumb move, especially for a 1st, 2nd AND a 3rd. We should vigorously pursue Harding, and mabey Halak, is he UFA too? A goalie is where we should spend a majority of our FA money, and use the rest to lock up Perron, EJ, Bergs, Osh....

Just my two cents

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:01 AM
BluesFan45
HFB Partner

I like Bouwmeester, but you will have some big name teams chasing him.

Toronto, Montreal, NYR, Philly could really use him if they can free up the room. I personally think Burke grabs him in Toronto and makes him the corner stone of their rebuild. I think he would fit well in Buffalo, but I dont think he will end up there.

I would really like to see the Blues gamble at this draft and make a move with their pick. Boston has Lucic, Krecji, and Kessel all up this offseason with not a ton wiggle room...maybe if we end up with a earlier pick than NYR flip picks and we get the rights to Zherdev?

Im just glad its JD, Jarmo, Pleau, and Amrstrong that make those decisions and not me. With the way this team has played, it be just as happy to not make any big deals and just get healthy.

BluesFan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Dr Turk

Im not really sold on making a big signing this summer. We already have a logjam at D and I think getting EJ back and Petro making the squad will be all we need to make a good run next year.

Ive seen a couple mock drafts having kadri fall down to 15, and in that case Id say get him.

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Carl Racki

Send a message via AIM to Carl Racki
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
Im not really sold on making a big signing this summer. We already have a logjam at D and I think getting EJ back and Petro making the squad will be all we need to make a good run next year.

Ive seen a couple mock drafts having kadri fall down to 15, and in that case Id say get him.

Don't forget about Junland...by all accounts he is a beast at Peoria, and I have heard Al Mac rave about his play...that is all the endorsement I need...

Carl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Dr Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Racki View Post
Don't forget about Junland...by all accounts he is a beast at Peoria, and I have heard Al Mac rave about his play...that is all the endorsement I need...
True, I think this would be a damn good D, and with a bunch young guys we should be set for the future:

These guys are for sure making the team:

Jackman
EJ
Cola
Polak
Petro

Leaving 2 of these guys off the team:
Junland
Mckee
Weaver
Strachan

This is why Im saying we have a logjam at D, I donít see a reason not to let weaver stay the way heís been playing. McKeeís been good at blocking shots but average in other areas. Junland has a lot of potential, and strachan has proven he can be a solid lower pairing guy.

If Junland makes the team I see McKee and Strachan being the odd men out.

If you add a guy like JayBo You would probably see a D that looks like this:

JayBo
Jackman
EJ
Cola
Polak
Petro
Junland

Thats an amazing D but Im not quite sure it would be worth adding a massive contract like JayBoís to our cap. Our #1 priority has to be locking up the kids to long term contracts.

And If you add Brewer possibly getting healthy in time this gets even more complicated and would eliminate a chance of us signing a big name Dman imo.

Old
04-12-2009, 12:58 AM
kfox9611

I am most likely the biggest petro fan around. I have his ice dogs jersey signed, I know his cousin and have even been to his house and talked to him in person. Not like we're on a first name basis or anything, he was pretty amazed that there was a St.Louis Blues fan living in the middle of Southern Ontario.

However, I watched the ice dogs final home game against Belleville.. and I hate to say but He was the absolute worst player on the ice. Im not being overly critical of him cuz i expected more. But he was in no way captain material and from the people sitting around me its been like that all playoffs. He gave 2 give aways that led to goals, one of which a pass up the middle that sealed the game.

He should have been thrown out for a hit from behind, but didnt even get a penalty and didnt step in to help his teammates who were defending him. Clearly frusterated he shot the puck down the ice while the scrum was going on and he honestly was a 4th forward most of the game. Everytime he had the puck he was going deep into the zone and the fans could see it.

I'm really pulling for him to make the team next season, but like JD told him earlier this season, nothing is for sure yet.

And MSP definitaly is my fav in this draft. If you look at a draft talk thread earlier in the season i actually had him ranked at #2 ahead of Hedman thats how much i want him here.

But I dont think he's going to be there at #30 for us

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Dr Turk

Thatís pretty surprising to hear actually, from everything Iíve heard I thought petro was tearing it up with the Ice Dogs?

Old
04-12-2009, 01:21 AM
kfox9611

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
Thatís pretty surprising to hear actually, from everything Iíve heard I thought petro was tearing it up with the Ice Dogs?
He seems to be in on every goal.. and gets the most ice time on the team by far. But I saw the first pre season game (post titled 'petro game') and the last playoff game and it didnt seem like he changed much. The only game I saw of him with the Blues was in Toronto and dont really remember him much besides the hit from behind that let us tie the game.

I dont know if it was him being upset to still be in the OHL this year and him thinking he should have made the team? or if he was just taking it all for granted. Either way he does have a endless supply of potential and we saw that with the gold medal at the juniors, but im hoping for him to step it up.

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:54 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox9611 View Post
He seems to be in on every goal.. and gets the most ice time on the team by far. But I saw the first pre season game (post titled 'petro game') and the last playoff game and it didnt seem like he changed much. The only game I saw of him with the Blues was in Toronto and dont really remember him much besides the hit from behind that let us tie the game.

I dont know if it was him being upset to still be in the OHL this year and him thinking he should have made the team? or if he was just taking it all for granted. Either way he does have a endless supply of potential and we saw that with the gold medal at the juniors, but im hoping for him to step it up.
That's disappointing and is the opposite of other accounts but thank you for your take on Petro regardless. I read elsewhere someone account of Petro's first AHL game tonight and he described Petro's play as nonchalant. Hopefully the kid can kick it up a gear and find some intensity!

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:11 AM
STL fan in IA

As for the original topic...why are we wondering about the 15th or 17th pick? Last time I checked, the Stanley Cup winner picked 30th.

As for who they should pick, IMO they should pick best player among whomever is still available when they pick among:

1. Tavares
2. Hedman
3. Duchene
4. MSP
5. Schenn
6. Kane
7. Cowen
8. Ekman-Larsson
9. Josefson
10. Kulikov
11. Glennie
12. Schroeder
13. Kassian
14. de Haan
15. Despres
16. Rundblad
17. Ellis
18. Kadri
19. Shore
20. Holland
21. Ferraro
22. Moore
23. Ashton
24. Leblanc
25. Elliott
26. Werek
27. Morin
28. Roussel
29. Budish
30. Klingberg
31. Caron
32. Palmieri
33. Doherty
34. Roy
35. Panik
36. Erixon
37. Tatar
38. Lander
39. Lee
40. Bubnick
41. Eakin
42. Beck
43. O'Reilley
44. Rajala
45. Kivisto
...eh, that's far enough.

Old
04-12-2009, 09:14 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
As for the original topic...why are we wondering about the 15th or 17th pick? Last time I checked, the Stanley Cup winner picked 30th.
More realistically, even a first round victory moves the team up to at least pick #23. I think it's awfully defeatist thinking to talk about the draft as if the first round loss is a foregone conclusion.

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:50 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg View Post
I think it's awfully defeatist thinking to talk about the draft as if the first round loss is a foregone conclusion.
Agreed.

I'm quite the draft junkie so I'm not going to lie and say I won't pay attention to draft related stuff while the Blues are going on their playoff run but until the Blues season ends, I'm not going to bother seeing who might be available when they pick.

Old
04-12-2009, 12:46 PM
schronote

Honestly I feel we need another big body winger that can score. Another Backes like player, with Oshie Berg Perron Palushaj Eller, we need to put someone with them that can score and be a monster in the corners and in front of the net. I know Oshie and them can hit but when the whistle is blown we need some protection. I have watched a few u18 wj games and Zach Kassian has been a monster, he looks so strong and raw out there I think he would be a great fit for the Blues in the near future. I do not want Kadri, we already have skill guys like that and IMO he wont be quite the gamebreaker as oshie, perron, berglund, and eller will be. I do like ryan ellis, his ability on the PP would be huge, but he might be a little pricy in the future and not be able to handle a lot of 5 on 5 play against top players. My vote at 15-17 is Kassian, if he is taken I like Josefson, Schroeder(will be gone mostlikely) and Glennie.

Old
04-12-2009, 12:51 PM
schronote

For some reason Drew Shore and Jeremy Morin have dropped on many people's lists, especially Morin. I would like to steal a player like that with our 2nd rounder. This draft has some deep talent and the Blues should be able to get some quality players with the first few picks.

Old
04-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Rush11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg View Post
More realistically, even a first round victory moves the team up to at least pick #23. I think it's awfully defeatist thinking to talk about the draft as if the first round loss is a foregone conclusion.

Only the Cup winner moves to the bottom of the first round. Everyone else stays in the same draft slot (unless the cup winner was slotted higher) regardless of how many series that team wins.

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I like your style.

Old
04-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Checker*

I want this kid drafted

http://salemnews.com/pusports/local_...224005601.html
http://lincolnstarsblog.blogspot.com...s-kreider.html
http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=929520
http://www.andover.edu/About/Newsroo...s/kreider.aspx

It'd be a bit of a reach/project at 17, but the last time Jarmo went with a little known player in the 1st round for a little known player it's already sold alot of t-shirts. He has all of the characteristics of a winner. Plus he's an NPH fan, and that can only be seen as a good thing

Last edited by Checker*: 04-14-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

I want a big power-forward...Zach Kassian or Carter Ashton would be fine with me.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote