HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

The 17th Pick

Old
06-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
I would love a Rajala pick at 48. I know he wont fall, but Panik would be a hell of a pick at 48.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:24 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
I doubt it. I seem him going top 30. If he slips, he wont slip to far. Not past 40th..
On the surface he seems like a gamble at 17th, but I trust this staff. The last so called gamble in the first round worked out great,

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Mike6749

As far as the 17th pick goes I'd love to see Chris Kreider, Jordan Schroeder, or Carter Ashton. We need a guy who is a goal scorer first, playmaker second.

Mike6749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6749 View Post
As far as the 17th pick goes I'd love to see Chris Kreider, Jordan Schroeder, or Carter Ashton. We need a guy who is a goal scorer first, playmaker second.
I don't think Schroeder will slip to 17. Yes, he's small, but a scoring forward is the best/most common position for the small guys. PPG+ in his first year in the NCAA, just one point short of leading his team (guy who beat him is a senior who was drafted in the 2nd by Colorado 2005).

I don't know much about Carter Ashton. I am really hoping the Blues grab Kreider though. But I think Budish would be alright too.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
What do you think of Jacob Josefson (sp) that is who Pierre McGuire had us taking? Craig Button had us taking Jordan Shroeder? What do you think of him. How do they rate compared to Budish? Sorry for all the questions I just respect your opinion here.

Thanks
CC,

Thanks for the good karma coming my way.

I like Josefson better than Schroeder, but Schroeder would be OK by me as well.

I don't see either of them falling to #17, however... Schroeder is almost a guarantee to be a top ten pick on talent alone, and Josefson is likely to go before #17 as well, to someone like LA or Edmonton.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:28 AM
c-carp

Great thread guys. Cant wait for tommorrow.

Old
06-25-2009, 11:08 AM
execwrite

A name to consider after the first two (?) rounds.

Philadelphia, PA: Alexander Avtsyn had fantastic numbers this year, so why isn't he getting more recognition? Is it the Russian factor?

Kyle Woodlief: I think there are a couple of NHL clubs that are laying in the weeds, hoping to steal this kid in the 3rd round or so. Another questioner asked me if there were any Euros who could be picked up in the later rounds this year and prove to be steals. Avtsyn would be one of my answers to that question, but I don't think anyone can snooze too long on him - he won't be available by the 5th/6th/7th round.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:00 PM
c-carp

I think the fact that they have the KHL will scare a lot of clubs away from the Russians. It seems to in recent drafts.

Old
06-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Cheli

Quote:
I think the fact that they have the KHL will scare a lot of clubs away from the Russians. It seems to in recent drafts.
Probably to some degree, but it also depends on the player.

They're sure to ask Europeans stuff about coming over at the draft combine, and talk to people they know as well. So it depends on how committed they seem to the NHL, and where they are playing in some cases.

For example, Columbus was very confident taking Filatov last year because he (and everyone he know) expressed very clearly that he was willing to come over to North America as soon as his team wanted him to, and play AHL if need be (and he did). I don't think it will hurt a guy like Kulikov at all this year since he is playing in the CHL. For some guys, especially I think 2nd/3rd rounders, it'll probably weigh into teams' judgments.

Old
06-25-2009, 08:00 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Probably to some degree, but it also depends on the player.

They're sure to ask Europeans stuff about coming over at the draft combine, and talk to people they know as well. So it depends on how committed they seem to the NHL, and where they are playing in some cases.

For example, Columbus was very confident taking Filatov last year because he (and everyone he know) expressed very clearly that he was willing to come over to North America as soon as his team wanted him to, and play AHL if need be (and he did). I don't think it will hurt a guy like Kulikov at all this year since he is playing in the CHL. For some guys, especially I think 2nd/3rd rounders, it'll probably weigh into teams' judgments.
Fair points, it is just that the Blues have been burned by a couple of Russians lately one has even left the AHL team in Peoria on two occasions if I remember right. Great point on Kulikov. I think Iread somewhere that he is learning to speak both English and French so he seems very comitted.

Old
06-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

I hope we use some of our assests and move up, to take MSP () or Schroeder, Josefson, or OEL. I not sold on Ellis or Kassian. But no matter what I trust the guys to do their job like they have been.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Dr Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dangles View Post
I hope we use some of our assests and move up, to take MSP () or Schroeder, Josefson, or OEL. I not sold on Ellis or Kassian. But no matter what I trust the guys to do their job like they have been.
QFT, I'm not too worried about the blues tomorrow, I'm sure whoever they draft will be just what the team needs. though personally I'm hoping they go with Kassian.

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 06:37 AM
execwrite

"I think scoring is one of the needs," Kekalainen said. "Speed is one of the needs; size and speed and scoring. If we could get a 6-4 winger that can score, that would be pretty nice."

Old
06-26-2009, 07:44 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
"I think scoring is one of the needs," Kekalainen said. "Speed is one of the needs; size and speed and scoring. If we could get a 6-4 winger that can score, that would be pretty nice."
Sounds like a Kassian type. I hope he is still there at 17.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Winger? I wonder if they might take Kreider or Budish - 6'2 and 6'3, great high school players committed to good NCAA programs (BC and Minn) - and play them at wing at some point.

Or are they specifically going for someone who plays wing already? I'm stumped, not a lot of wingers ranked around the 15-20th mark, mostly centres and defensemen.

Unless it's Kassian (if he falls to 17)? 6'3, voted "best fighter" by GMs this year and put up some decent points, I know a lot of people think it won't transfer to the NHL though. Personally I'd rather take Kreider or Budish. I don't know how Kassian's speed is though, so not sure if he fits that description 100%. Or Carter Ashton?

I'm excited.

Old
06-26-2009, 08:01 AM
TerminatorBlue

The drafts tonight can't wait!I wonder if Blues will try and trade up and get a better pick or trade there pick for an already seasoned player?

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:55 AM
execwrite

Complete fantasy - this will never happen - here goes

Blues trade #17 pick to Islanders for #26 and #31

First Round, Chris Kreider
Second Round, Zack Budish, Ben Hanowski
Third Round, Alexander Avtsyn

Old
06-26-2009, 09:03 AM
milieu bluez

Quote:
Unless it's Kassian (if he falls to 17)? 6'3, voted "best fighter" by GMs this year and put up some decent points, I know a lot of people think it won't transfer to the NHL though. Personally I'd rather take Kreider or Budish. I don't know how Kassian's speed is though, so not sure if he fits that description 100%.

I'm excited.
For the first time ever, I can't decide who I want the most. But anyway heres a video on Kassian. Your right about the speed. He has NO 2 step quickness at all. Everything else looks pretty good though.

milieu bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:52 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Winger? I wonder if they might take Kreider or Budish - 6'2 and 6'3, great high school players committed to good NCAA programs (BC and Minn) - and play them at wing at some point.

Or are they specifically going for someone who plays wing already? I'm stumped, not a lot of wingers ranked around the 15-20th mark, mostly centres and defensemen.

Unless it's Kassian (if he falls to 17)? 6'3, voted "best fighter" by GMs this year and put up some decent points, I know a lot of people think it won't transfer to the NHL though. Personally I'd rather take Kreider or Budish. I don't know how Kassian's speed is though, so not sure if he fits that description 100%. Or Carter Ashton?

I'm excited.
I have read comparisons to Milan Lucic of Boston when talking about Kassian. If he is like Lucic that would be a very valuable player. Lucic can do a lot more than throw em. I am excited as well.

Old
06-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Cheli

Quote:
I have read comparisons to Milan Lucic of Boston when talking about Kassian. If he is like Lucic that would be a very valuable player. Lucic can do a lot more than throw em. I am excited as well.
I love Lucic, and the way he plays. I'm not so sure a similar guy is worth a 1st though. I think Lucic's numbers will improve (I know it's not the biggest part of his game, but it does count), but I'm still hesitant about Kassian.

It's a deep draft. I'd really rather the Blues go for a special guy, even if he's a bit of a higher risk (ala Budish/Kreider because they play high school hockey so the competition level is questionable). The way I see it, the Blues can afford the risk - I'd hate the guy to bust, but I want them to go for a guy with a higher ceiling rather than a guy who is probably a safer pick.

Old
06-27-2009, 09:38 AM
neworleans1814

Blues like offensive upside of top pick

http://www.bnd.com/sports/story/823835.html

neworleans1814 is offline   Reply With Quote