Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lemaire Quits?

Old
04-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
Lemaire Quits?

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of a coach quitting a team. I had to edit this because I guess it's not official, but whatever, hypothetically...

So I'm not sure how well he'd fit with the team, but is this guy worth firing Tippett over? I really hope Jackson thinks about it. Just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Last edited by Captain Awesome: 04-11-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
So I'm not sure how well he'd fit with the team, but is this guy worth firing Tippett over?
Jaques Lemaire is worth firing Bruce Boudreau or any other highly though of coach over, in my opinion. The only question though is whether Lemaire has the heart to still coach, and from what I understand, that's the reason for him resigning from Minnesota.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Dallasman

If Lemaire does indeed step down it will be for good and not to pursue other coaching options. That's what I have read elsewhere.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:44 PM
________

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Official Lemaire is done with the Wild.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/...lue-jackets-3/

Last edited by ________: 04-11-2009 at 10:54 PM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Retirement well deserved for him.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:22 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

vCash: 131
Move them to Houston.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Captain Awesome

"I still love coaching," Lemaire said. "I'm going to work and I want to stay in the game, that's for sure. I still believe I've got a few years. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I want to stay in the game."

It's a pretty ambiguous maybe at best, but it may not be a no to coaching.

Old
04-12-2009, 05:02 PM
ScubaSteve*

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Caseman

There is no way they fire Tippett this off-season. You guys are looney.

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Captain Awesome

I don't expect them to, but when one of the better coaches in the league is on the free market, and you just came off a less than stellar season, as a GM I'm sure it makes you think, and that's all I'm saying.

Old
04-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
I don't expect them to, but when one of the better coaches in the league is on the free market, and you just came off a less than stellar season, as a GM I'm sure it makes you think, and that's all I'm saying.
Is Lemaire really still one of the better coaches in the league now though? I don't question his resume but Minnesota has hardly gone anywhere while he's been behind the bench. I'm not sure he's the guy I want in a post lockout world. I'd rather see an uptempo style to more match the skills of the players currently on the roster. This team is more offensively oriented than it used to be. Regardless, I wouldn't choose him in my top ten NHL coaches. Just like I love Carbo but don't want him behind the bench in Dallas. Well I'd love him as an assistant but not head coach.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Is Lemaire really still one of the better coaches in the league now though? I don't question his resume but Minnesota has hardly gone anywhere while he's been behind the bench. I'm not sure he's the guy I want in a post lockout world. I'd rather see an uptempo style to more match the skills of the players currently on the roster. This team is more offensively oriented than it used to be. Regardless, I wouldn't choose him in my top ten NHL coaches. Just like I love Carbo but don't want him behind the bench in Dallas. Well I'd love him as an assistant but not head coach.
We could debate whether or not Lemaire's style would be conducive to success in today's NHL, and I would argue it has been, but the Minnesota front office didn't exactly give him much to work with. The players leaving that club via free agency hurt any chance Lemaire had to succeed.

Old
04-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
We could debate whether or not Lemaire's style would be conducive to success in today's NHL, and I would argue it has been, but the Minnesota front office didn't exactly give him much to work with. The players leaving that club via free agency hurt any chance Lemaire had to succeed.
On one hand this is true but why are players leaving that club? Money or system? I can't answer for everyone but I know Demtria left because he hated the system being run there and wanted to play with better players, playing a concept more suited to his game. Reisborough is an idiot. No question, but Lemaire's style didn't do anything to encourage free agents to want to go there. If Dallas were to fire Tippet I'm sorry, Lemaire isn't on my short list.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Chad_

The shear numbers of guys who have left Minnesota via free agency is staggering, and most of those who left weren't offered anywhere close to comparable offers, including the aforementioned Demitra, so it's hard to argue money was not the factor. Then you've got to include player trades that ended up dumping salary (Zidlicky immediately comes to mind) and, once again, you have to ask why Lemaire would have wanted to stay on board considering each and every year the team's better players were jettisoned elsewhere. It will continue this year with Gaborik signing with another team, and it's likely Skoula, who has played very well in Minnesota, will go elsewhere.

It's all about money, never forget that or confuse player quotes after a move with what originally led them to go elsewhere. Everything else, including playing style, location and the like, is a distant second.

In terms of what Lemaire was able to do with the talent he did have, I'd argue he had pretty good success.

Old
04-13-2009, 11:48 PM
BeaverSports

I bet Lemaire ends up on Montreal's bench.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:32 AM
ugrakarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
I bet Lemaire ends up on Montreal's bench.
The Habs office would be a better place for him in semi-retirement. At least the age racism considering coaches is less severe across the pond. Here in Finland they tend to only last to their 50's before considered obsolete.

ugrakarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
I believe the term you're looking for is "ageism".

On the other hand, it's been proven that many in the Quebec media are adamant that no Anglophone coach is welcome behind the Habs bench, so perhaps race does enter into it somehow, lol.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote