HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

(3) New Jersey Devils vs. (6) Carolina Hurricanes

Old
04-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post
Walker is garbage. I have no idea what happened to his hands from a few years ago. He makes awful offensive decisions and kills every rush he is on by taking a slap-shot right at the goalie's chest.
Walker isn't fast enough to get to those spots on the ice to use his toughness anymore. He was never Cole, but he used to have speed to create 2 on 1 chances and things like that and the ability to do that has just vanished. It's age related. That's why you don't give injury prone 34 year old undersized physical players three year contract extensions at or above market value. Plus, the concussion issue has made even his ability to step into altercations a non-factor.

I think we'd be much better off with Sutter taking his place. As I said in another thread, you don't want to have the ability to utilize a Sutter in the playoffs and pass on it.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:36 PM
kilxler

Just wanted to say good luck guys should be a long and really great match. Too bad the NHL doesn't even thing it deserves to be on National Television because it will be easily one of the most exciting matches next to the Pit vs Phi game. No worries about one guy bashing us and our neighborhood that looks nothing like he posted. There is always one bad apple in the middle of alot of good ones. Carolina fans are class act period.

kilxler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:18 PM
doormat247

Good luck against the Devils. Sending good vibes down the well.

doormat247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:26 PM
NJDFAN

As I said, may the best team come out on top...

Last edited by Gotta Catch Em Staal: 04-13-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: quoting deleted posts; putting all that mess behind us
NJDFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDFAN View Post
As I said, may the best team come out on top...
We will

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Speaking of Eaves, anyone else think he might surprise this post-season? I've got this feeling that with him being on the 4th with either Cullen or Jokinen, that he might just show us what he can actually do. I think he might just be a darkhorse.
Eaves just has been flat out unlucky the past few seasons, with injuries and everything. Out of our forwards with 100 shots or more he has the worst shooting percentage, even lower than some of our D-men. I think next season with some more ice time, he could reach 20 goals if some of his shots start to go in.. and everyone has seen glimpses of his wrist shot, which I think can be one of the best on the team at times. I don't know if he gets nearly enough ice time in the playoffs to break out though.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:20 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I'm watching MSG's hockey night live program, and Martin Brodeur just said in an interview clip "And they have one of the best or the best power forward in the game in Staal, and we'll have to be aware of him..."

I guess he would know better then most, but HUH? Brodeur thinks of Staal before guys like Ovechkin and Malkin?

Devils players and MSG commentators think a lot of Ward too, but I'm less shocked by that one.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I guess he would know better then most, but HUH? Brodeur thinks of Staal before guys like Ovechkin and Malkin?
Who even considers Staal or Malkin to be power forwards?

Cardiac_Canes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
I think power forward is one of the most subjective terms in hockey. Some people think power forward and think Cam Neely, early Keith Tkachuk, Todd Bertuzzi, etc.

Other people think power forward and think guys that use their strength as opposed to flat out dangles, speed, and acceleration in order to create offense. Staal isn't a power forward in the Neely mold for certain. However, he is a power forward if you consider the term to encompass players that are tough to knock off the puck, have great lower body strength and puck shielding skills, and can bull their way to the net when the time calls for scoring ugly goals out front. If you subscribe to the ideology that forwards are either finesse, effort, or power forwards then it seems that Eric would be more in the power realm than any of the others.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Clark Gillies
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Staal is a power forward.

Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Caniac12

Quote:
I consider them both tall pansys. Ovechkin, Cole, Thorton, those are power forwards.

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Gillies View Post
Staal is a power forward.
Maybe by your definition. He doesn't come close to throwing his body around enough to be considered a power forward in my opinion.

Old
04-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Caniac12

I think Staal would make a great soccer player, he knows how to dive and act like he is hurt. He falls down and pretends to bump his head almost every game but never misses a shift. It happens too frequent to think nothing of it. And this is coming from a soccer player and staal fan, its just brutal honesty, he isnt all that tough.

Old
04-13-2009, 08:16 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Maybe by your definition. He doesn't come close to throwing his body around enough to be considered a power forward in my opinion.
Agreed. Staal tries to use his finesse moves, just as often as he throws his body around. I wouldn't really call him a power forward unless he started to willingly throw around his body more.

Old
04-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Caniac12

I dont know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but what do you all think of our "black aces" as tripp and chip have called them. Sutter, Boychuk, Dwyer, Carson, Rodney and Peters. I think that Sutter and one other guy should play for Helminen and Conboy or Walker.

Who is the most likely to play? I think sutter should definately play.

Old
04-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Clark Gillies
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
Agreed. Staal tries to use his finesse moves, just as often as he throws his body around. I wouldn't really call him a power forward unless he started to willingly throw around his body more.
I think you guys are really hve a misconception about what a power forward is. To be considereed such you need an above average skill set (skating and stick handling), that you can use interchangeably with your size and ability to not get knocked off the puck. Staal can be a beast in front of and behind the net using his size.

The term power forward is less about crashing and banging then it is about not being pushed around when you have the puck.

Is he the best power forward no, but he is most definitely a power forward.

I also think a good portion of the Canes fan base really do not appreciate what they have in Staal accusing him of taking off nights and shifts when in reality on most nights he is one of the hardest working guys on the ice.

Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:12 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
I think you guys are really hve a misconception about what a power forward is. To be considereed such you need an above average skill set (skating and stick handling), that you can use interchangeably with your size and ability to not get knocked off the puck. Staal can be a beast in front of and behind the net using his size.

The term power forward is less about crashing and banging then it is about not being pushed around when you have the puck.

Is he the best power forward no, but he is most definitely a power forward.

I also think a good portion of the Canes fan base really do not appreciate what they have in Staal accusing him of taking off nights and shifts when in reality on most nights he is one of the hardest working guys on the ice.
LIke Vagrant said, power forward is a subjective term.

I'm sorry I just don't see power forward when I watch Staal. Yeah he may be hard to move off the puck, but he's nowhere near physical enough for me to describe him as a power forward. Power forwards aren't the only forwards that make it difficult to knock them off pucks.

When I think of power forward, I think Iginla, Mike Richards, Ovechkin, Lucic, Nash, Getzlaf, Cole, Ruutu, etc. Staal just bounces off of guys when they try to knock him off the puck and when he tries to knock another player off the puck he uses stickwork and finesse much more than his body, where as most of the guys I listed usually try to check you off the puck and they also use their size and strength to gain position much more than Staal. If you call guys like Staal a power forward, then a large percentage of the league are also power forwards, IMO. Staal does have some power forward tendencies and if he starts becoming more of a physical presence he could be what I consider a power forward. This is just MY rationale for what makes a power forward.

Not sure why you had to reply and rant to my post. I fully appreciate everything Staal does and just because I don't think he's a power forward doesn't change anything.

Last edited by vwg*: 04-13-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old
04-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilxler View Post
Just wanted to say good luck guys should be a long and really great match. Too bad the NHL doesn't even thing it deserves to be on National Television because it will be easily one of the most exciting matches next to the Pit vs Phi game. No worries about one guy bashing us and our neighborhood that looks nothing like he posted. There is always one bad apple in the middle of alot of good ones. Carolina fans are class act period.
When the Pens, Wings and Rangers are playing, Versus never heard of our teams.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
I think you guys are really hve a misconception about what a power forward is.
Don't tell me I'm wrong just because I disagree. The term "power forward" is thrown around too lightly, I think. Staal does not hit enough to be considered a power forward in any way in my books. He may be a big guy who's strong on the puck but that physical element is one you need to have to be considered a power forward and he doesn't play that style of game. Just look at the guys around the league considered the best power forwards and tell me if you think he plays the same style.

Old
04-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac12 View Post
I think Staal would make a great soccer player, he knows how to dive and act like he is hurt. He falls down and pretends to bump his head almost every game but never misses a shift. It happens too frequent to think nothing of it. And this is coming from a soccer player and staal fan, its just brutal honesty, he isnt all that tough.
Before I say what I am about to say, if you were being sarcastic and I missed it (a very good possibility) than ignore what I am about to say. If not and you were being serious, than ok.

I think it is well known that Staal probably played through 2-3 pretty good injuries this year yet didn't miss a game where maybe he should have or could have. Did he miss a beat? I think you could say yes because I believe it hampered his play earlier in the season. Durability, toughness, willingness to play below 100% is something I have witnessed out of Eric this year more than any other year to date. He simply seemed to get a good whipping every now and again that made me cross my fingers and hope he wouldn't miss time. Did you see him ding his head off the post vs. the Islanders last month? Maybe he left the ice so the physician could check if his eyes were seeing striaght for fun. How about when he got hit from behind last season by Voros? Maybe the few times he took some good, solid hits this year to his shoulder and skated away with that look on his face that defines discomfort and pain but he continued on. Example - The game vs. LA at the beginning of the year when he took that hit to his shoulder, stayed in the game but the very next shot he took the camera was on him after and his facial expression didnt exactly show me someone who wasn't in some pain & discomfort. I remember that moment because I saw it and thought 'oh ****, is that hit to his shoulder going to effect him'. Then there was the game in December vs. Montreal where he went head first into the boards because based on the theory of Habs fans, he wanted to draw a penalty. Yes, thats it, he witnessed his best friend break his neck 3 years ago and go through hell and back yet he wants to throw himself head first into the boards and risk his own well being for the sake of a potential 2 minute powerplay. A 5 year old may believe that theory, but not me. How many times did Staal leave a game this season and leave us in a bit of 'fear' only to return - thank the good lord above. I can think of a few times, not right down to the game off the top of my head, but it indeed happened. What about that game vs. the Sharks where Staal didn't play the 3rd period because the team didn't allow him? Who was it again that said they wanted to go out on the ice and play that 3rd period but was told 'No, if you do, you'll probably make the injury worse'. You think that was all faked? Made up, embellished? I doubt it.

Maybe you would rather him be like many others in the league and miss a game or two or a few because of a minor injury that they could probably play through then you can whine about how he misses time for all these injuries 'big or small' he endures over the course of a demanding and grueling 82 game season in which most don't get through without missing time.

Coach Maurice the day after Eric took his spill vs. the Islanders.

Quote:
"But he's a strong man and a tough guy. Obviously his streak of games is impressive. Over the last two or three months he's played with a number of reasonably significant injuries, and more important he's played well. He's a pretty tough character."
I bet the team just hates when Eric gets 'bumps and bruises' and plays it up only to return the next shift, game, etc. without any ill side-effects. Sorry, but in my opinion right now Eric Staal defines durability, toughness and the willingness to play through the bumps and bruises this game has to offer. I think this season has shown a lot of what he is made of in terms of sacrificing his body and his dedication to the team. The fact that he is willing to put his body and health on the line for the better of the 18 other men and that logo on his chest in which he plays for that night tell me all I need to know about his toughness.

Last edited by Guerzy: 04-13-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Don't tell me I'm wrong just because I disagree. The term "power forward" is thrown around too lightly, I think. Staal does not hit enough to be considered a power forward in any way in my books. He may be a big guy who's strong on the puck but that physical element is one you need to have to be considered a power forward and he doesn't play that style of game. Just look at the guys around the league considered the best power forwards and tell me if you think he plays the same style.
I'm not saying anybody is wrong or right, because both points being made here are valid, with that said I find these numbers rather interesting.

Eric Staal - Hits calculated over the past 3 seasons.

08-09' - 61 (82 games)
07-08' - 99 (82 games)
06-07' - 77 (82 games)

Jarome Iginla - Hits calculated over the past 3 seasons.

08-09' - 82 Hits (82 games)
07-08' - 98 Hits (82 games)
06-07' - 78 Hits (70 games)

Eric Staal's total number of hits over the course of the past 3 seasons - 237.

Jarome Iginla's total number of hits over the course of the past 3 seasons - 258

Granted in that time frame Eric has played 246 games to Jarome's 234, I think the number of hits based on even how these two players are looked upon demonstrate that a young Eric Staal who is in the midst of grooming and growing his game compared to a Power Forward in his prime such as Jarome Iginla could possibly recognize the total number of hits doesn't define a Power Forward or maybe it shows a young Eric Staal does indeed carry a Power Forwards game of his own. I bet there aren't many out there who would have guessed Eric Staal was so close to Jarome Iginla in the hits column over the past 3 seasons.

I use the past 3 seasons because that is the time frame in Staal's young career that he is learning his craft and becoming the player he will be when all is said and done. Last year, being the 07-08' season is when I personally really started to notice Eric using his body to his advantage, when I started considering him one of the games power forwards in his own right for his own reasons. No, not to the extent of a Lucic or Brenden Morrow per say, but in his own right I think he can be defined as a Power Forward for many of the reasons being suggested. He could also easily not be considered a Power Forward for the many reasons being suggested. To each their own really, everyone has and is entitled to their own outlook and point of view. Some think his game has a bit of Power Forward in it, others do not. It's really the qualities you consider that make it what it is.

For fun, Tuomo Ruutu this season had 228 hits in 79 games. I think that is close enough to be considered in line with what Iginla has done in 3 entire seasons in the hits column. (30 less hits to be exact). Do I consider Ruutu a better Power Forward than Iginla based on the fact Ruutu almost scored 30 goals and absolutely dominated Iginla in the hits column? No, but that is just my opinion. Point being, I don't think the total number of hits defines a Power Forward. So I'll agree with those saying it takes a few ingredients to make a Power Forward such as Staal. It also takes a few different ingredients to make a Power Forward such as Lucic, Morrow, etc. To each their own.

Do I consider Staal and Iginla as the same breed of Power Forwards, definitely not. But to each their own in their own right I think they can both be defined as a Power Forward in todays game.

Thats just my take.

Last edited by Guerzy: 04-13-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:54 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

The thing is hits are a highly subjective stat also.

I definitely think Staal CAN play a power forward game such as he did in '06 playoffs when he was just a monster, and he's had similar stretches to the one in '06, but he doesn't play that way consistently enough for me to label him as a power forward. His effort is usually consistent but not his physical presence. I expect to see him turn that part of his game on for the playoffs.

My opinion of a power forward lies somewhere with the majority of hockey fans, and I think if someone started a poll asking whether Staal is a PF or not, the majority would say no... but I also realize not many people other than Canes fans watch enough to make an informed opinion.

Staal is definitely not a pansy or afraid to take or dish a hit, though... just saying that's not always his game.

Old
04-14-2009, 12:25 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
@ClarksonU,

@NJ lurkers,

Please never mind the poster above. We never saw him posting here before and he fits a definition of a troll.
There have been a few newbie Devils troll posters like that as well. Why people feel the need to immediately register to this site once the playoffs begin for the sole intention of trolling, I'll never understand. It happened last year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Thank god it's 7:30 start times rather then 7:00 PM. I may actually be able to catch the entirety of the games unlike the regular season when I had to work.
It's odd too, because Devils games all started at 7pm all year, and I dont think television can be the answer since none of the games are being nationally televised. Unless maybe they're just trying to juice the ratings a bit since it's the playoffs.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 09:00 AM
theking72
Confucius Ackbar

Where do you Canes fans get your team news?

We NJ fans are blessed with two very good beat reporters that keep online blogs:

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/
http://www.nj.com/devils/

theking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 09:03 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by theking72 View Post
Where do you Canes fans get your team news?

We NJ fans are blessed with two very good beat reporters that keep online blogs:

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/
http://www.nj.com/devils/
Here:
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/home
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blog/3603818/
http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com...p?showforum=77

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote