HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Sean Avery Rant

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2009, 12:19 AM
  #1
teegale
Hartnell Down!
 
teegale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
OT: Sean Avery Rant

I remember the days when players FEARED playing us. When even the goaltender had that fire in his eyes, and a wallet in his back pocket that said bad mother****er. The days when all 6 guys on the ice stood up for one another and brought opposing players to their knees begging for mercy. Those days are long and gone.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that is sick and tired of Sean Avery galavanting around the ice, stirring the pot. If this were 1987 he'd have bruises the size of tennis balls on his ankles and black eye via Hextall and Brown. My point is, how long is it going to take before someone does something about his antics? Has the league grown so soft that everyone has forgotten it's roots?

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
  #2
Brophy
Registered User
 
Brophy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redondo Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
to answear your question

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
  #3
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,349
vCash: 500
Avery did enough to get us off our game today, if someone jumped him they'd just be playing into his strength. Not to mention he's not really out there being dangerous, if it was Tootoo or Ruutu then maybe I'd agree, but Avery's just a pest.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:29 AM
  #4
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
5 goals against your team in limitted games is dangerous.
No ****. I think he meant hurting people.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:30 AM
  #5
SomE
Registered User
 
SomE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Avery did enough to get us off our game today, if someone jumped him they'd just be playing into his strength. Not to mention he's not really out there being dangerous, if it was Tootoo or Ruutu then maybe I'd agree, but Avery's just a pest.
5 goals against your team in limitted games is dangerous.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:46 AM
  #6
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
You worry about beating Avery up and he gets exactly what he wants: a team not worried about winning the game. Giroux has the perfect attitude toward him. He just laughs in Avery's face every game.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:53 AM
  #7
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Avery does he job well. He wants you to be mad.
I hate the ****. But you gotta say he does it well.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:30 AM
  #8
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You worry about beating Avery up and he gets exactly what he wants: a team not worried about winning the game. Giroux has the perfect attitude toward him. He just laughs in Avery's face every game.
Yup.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:02 AM
  #9
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,750
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
This brand of hockey is different than the brand of hockey in the old days. Now it hurts you more than it helps you to try and shut a clown like Avery down. Hextall could go after someone like he did because the rules weren't completely limited to severely penalize those kinds of situations. Now, you're looking at fines, misconducts, and suspensions which can really hinder your team from winning games in the long run.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:19 AM
  #10
BerubeBox*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Giroux has the perfect attitude toward him. He just laughs in Avery's face every game.
I agree with you but Claude hasn't been in the league very long and it won't last forever. It sounds like a simple thing to say "just ignore him" but it's not realistic. Hockey is played with your balls on your sleeve (ok, I cringed just from typing that). Like it or not, Avery is extremely talented in the intangibles of the game.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:19 AM
  #11
Penner getrdonebryan
Registered User
 
Penner getrdonebryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rou.
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
I miss the old days , although I'm not very old.

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:38 AM
  #12
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,477
vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I honestly thought he would destroy the Rangers when he came back. Instead he really helped his team make the playoffs. I hate that ******.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:41 AM
  #13
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,024
vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
I remember the days when players FEARED playing us. When even the goaltender had that fire in his eyes, and a wallet in his back pocket that said bad mother****er. The days when all 6 guys on the ice stood up for one another and brought opposing players to their knees begging for mercy. Those days are long and gone.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that is sick and tired of Sean Avery galavanting around the ice, stirring the pot. If this were 1987 he'd have bruises the size of tennis balls on his ankles and black eye via Hextall and Brown. My point is, how long is it going to take before someone does something about his antics? Has the league grown so soft that everyone has forgotten it's roots?
This is what Dan Carcillo is supposed to provide. He's reached Modry levels of uselessness.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:43 AM
  #14
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,985
vCash: 500
Dave Brown already tried that philosophy with Tomas Sandstrom in 1987.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:49 AM
  #15
wereback
Registered User
 
wereback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This is what Dan Carcillo is supposed to provide. He's reached Modry levels of uselessness.
The Carcillo deal is really starting to look bad....IMO

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:00 AM
  #16
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,024
vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
The Carcillo deal is really starting to look bad....IMO

Careful, that's a heated discussion.


Paul Homgren told us Carcillo can play on top lines, he has 8 minutes in ice time yesterday. Four less than Arron Asham who had two assists and has been a very good contributor for us all season long.


Other people claimed we got Carcillo to deal with guys like Avery. Not Richards, or Hartnell, guy who actually contribute in other areas. When our team tried to deal with Avery, who were the guys doing it.

This is the first thing Holmgren should answer for when our season ends. He made a mistake. And he has to make up for it. Scottie Upshall scored a lot of big goals for us the past two years, which a lot of people here forgot very quickly, including Paul Holmgren.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:41 AM
  #17
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Careful, that's a heated discussion.


Paul Homgren told us Carcillo can play on top lines, he has 8 minutes in ice time yesterday. Four less than Arron Asham who had two assists and has been a very good contributor for us all season long.


Other people claimed we got Carcillo to deal with guys like Avery. Not Richards, or Hartnell, guy who actually contribute in other areas. When our team tried to deal with Avery, who were the guys doing it.

This is the first thing Holmgren should answer for when our season ends. He made a mistake. And he has to make up for it. Scottie Upshall scored a lot of big goals for us the past two years, which a lot of people here forgot very quickly, including Paul Holmgren.
You're asking the wrong questions. He traded Upshall because he felt that was the best cap relief move. Note the fact that it didn't work. We just played ATOs twice in the last three games...games we needed to get points out of. That's what he needs to speak to. You can have a valid discussion about trading Upshall for Carcillo...but the central premise was that it would solve our cap woes. Clearly it did not clear enough cap space--despite that being the idea behind the deal.

He also needs to speak to how he is going to create SOME flexibility on this roster going forward past this year. This has been my biggest problem with the Upshall trade: it was a short-term (and apparently ineffective) fix to a problem we need to solve long-term.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:44 AM
  #18
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Avery did his job, the Flyers didn't. Deal with it and move on. We don't have to deal with that ****** until possibly the 2nd round.

Playoffs start Wednesday, GO FLYERS!

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:59 AM
  #19
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,024
vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're asking the wrong questions. He traded Upshall because he felt that was the best cap relief move. Note the fact that it didn't work. We just played ATOs twice in the last three games...games we needed to get points out of. That's what he needs to speak to. You can have a valid discussion about trading Upshall for Carcillo...but the central premise was that it would solve our cap woes. Clearly it did not clear enough cap space--despite that being the idea behind the deal.

He also needs to speak to how he is going to create SOME flexibility on this roster going forward past this year. This has been my biggest problem with the Upshall trade: it was a short-term (and apparently ineffective) fix to a problem we need to solve long-term.
I don't have a beef with trading Upshall, I have a beef with who was brought in to replace him and all this junk about how I'm supposed to love him and how great a guy who had 7 points and took dumb penalties before he even stepped on the ice. If you want to trade Upshall, fine, give me someone who is going to be a good contributor for us. Give me Kyle Brodziak or something.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:29 AM
  #20
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,193
vCash: 500
Hate to say it but the thread starter does not have a very objective view of hockey history. There have been a number of Flyers in the past who could be called 'dirty' players (Clarke for one, Van Impe, Behn Wilson who could really fight) as well as some who were in pests in Avery's mode (Linseman would be an excellent example of that IMO). Around the league as well there are always players like this--hated at least until they become part of your team. People over exaggerate the hockey myth of frontier justice. Claude Lemieux, Ulf Samuelsson, Linseman had long, long careers. We can go on and on. If the player has got skill--and Avery does that just accentuates his value.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:33 AM
  #21
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo
 
six sigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
I'd like to have seen Avery pull that **** with Hartnell without the ref standing between them. What a maggot.

It's also pretty obvious that Carcillo has been on an extremely short leash since he got here.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:35 AM
  #22
Orange Crush 89
Registered User
 
Orange Crush 89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Avery did his job, the Flyers didn't. Deal with it and move on. We don't have to deal with that ****** until possibly the 2nd round.

Playoffs start Wednesday, GO FLYERS!
There is no second round. With home ice we had a CHANCE, not now. The Flyers could barely beat (didn't even beat some of them) some of the leagues bottom feeders, how do you expect them to eliminate the NHL's favorite son? They look at him funny he'll flop to the ice and suddenly it'll be 5 minutes for gay-bashing or something. There's no chance.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:48 AM
  #23
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
I'd like to have seen Avery pull that **** with Hartnell without the ref standing between them. What a maggot.

It's also pretty obvious that Carcillo has been on an extremely short leash since he got here.
He is a maggot. I hate him so much - that I would love to see him in O&B. Yes, I think he would bring to this team what we lost with Upshall - tenacity and craziness. Scottie was borderline insane with his hits in last year's playoffs - he would steamroll anyone; even if they were twice his size.

Avery is what we hoped Downie would be.

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:09 AM
  #24
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
I'm aware that people are going to accuse me of trolling given my fandom (and avatar), but what did Avery do yesterday that was so terrible? Talked some smack? The incident at the end of the game was hardly his doing. Lupul laid a dangerous and dirty hit on him, and Hartnell came over and bumped him as soon as he got up. Who wouldn't defend themselves in that situation?

I realize that Avery is a ***** and that the only reason I don't hate his guts is because he plays for my team, but if people think that he's the problem with the league they're very mistaken. Believe it or not, he really isn't a dirty player; he doesn't go around trying to injure people, he just tries to piss them off, and usually succeeds.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
  #25
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't have a beef with trading Upshall, I have a beef with who was brought in to replace him and all this junk about how I'm supposed to love him and how great a guy who had 7 points and took dumb penalties before he even stepped on the ice. If you want to trade Upshall, fine, give me someone who is going to be a good contributor for us. Give me Kyle Brodziak or something.
Who cares what he says publicly about Carcillo? I mean, seriously, you think he's going to come in and talk him down? Of course he's going to talk him up! He just traded for him. Even if he doesn't think he's particularly great, he's getting lampooned by the media...and had just been asked how he thought the fans were going to react to trading away a "fan favorite."

He has two problems there.

1) He just traded for a guy that is clearly going to be in a tough PR spot when he shows up.

2) He just made a move and is defending that move.

While paying attention to what people say is important, understanding why they are saying it in the first place is equally important. I think Holmgren has proven inept to the point of imbecility in managing the cap, but he has also proven that he does have a decent eye for talent--not shocking since he spent significant time in a scouting position. I'm sure he knew what type of player they were getting in Carcillo, he just wasn't going to sit there and label him a grinder with an anger management problem in front of the cameras.

In all seriousness, the issue isn't trading Upshall. It isn't trading Carcillo. It's the fact that he tried to trade away a player to create cap flexibility and effing failed miserably to accomplish that goal. If that was the reason he traded Upshall, he should have sent him out for a pick.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.