HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Stanley Cup Playoff Discussion Thread

Old
06-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Matt13

vCash: 500
Hey good lookin!

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 12:37 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
i guess it was the best 5 games he ever played.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Randart

I Believe It's #2....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Unless I am mistaken Philippe Boucher also won his 1st Cup tonight.
I thought Philippe' got one with the Stars that year they had Hull and Arnott etc? And their goalie was playing out of his mind good.... Modano was still Captain! Speaks volumes.... I am not biggest fan of the change in Captaincey! I think it hurt their team but who am I to the Stars?

I am happy for all our X-Kings Dan Bylsma who'd have thunk he was such a fine student of the game! Wow I am so impressed, one thing to have talent another to get the most out of the group! Cudo's to the entire staff there they really got that team to buy into all they had to say! Impressive... our coaches and org could learn alot from them!

Hey Dean the world does not revolve around Detroit! DUH!!! I will also say this Babcock did a great job all year motivating his team and org he was very honorable and probably the best coach the Mighty Dorks will ever have! So hard to say anything positive about the dorks! But there it is...

Last edited by Randart: 06-13-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 03:30 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Sports can be a weird, Garon flops on the Kings and Oilers as a starter and does nothing more than opens and closes the bench door for the Pens and gets his name on the cup.

Good to see Sergei Gonchar win, he has had a pretty damn good and underrated career.

As for Hossa, he had a chance to sign a longterm contract and be assured of playing with Crosby or Malkin for the next 6-7 years and he turned it down to try and leach on the Wings, no one to blame but himself.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 04:17 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

As for Hossa, he had a chance to sign a longterm contract and be assured of playing with Crosby or Malkin for the next 6-7 years and he turned it down to try and leach on the Wings, no one to blame but himself.

Seems like the perfect signing for the Sharks in the off-season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Hossa's face was amazing. . good for Fleury. . he DEFINITELY deserved to raise the cup

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Matt13

Quote:

That is ridiculous.

Hossa had just spent the prior years dwelling in the crap that is Atlanta. He earned his UFA status. He could have just as easily "leached" the Pens. Either way, he was making a decision for which he best thought he had a chance to win.

When the Wings were killing the regular season no one made these comments. When the Pens fired their coach, no one made these comments. Now everyone is using there powers of hindsight.

Datsuyk doesnt go down to injury, Hossa has his cup.

Old
06-13-2009, 11:03 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i think the fact that Ty Conklin was was embraced warmly by every member of the Penguins and Marian Hossa wasn't should speak rather loudly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
To who? That business is between the players - I'm talking about fans. If I were a member of the Pens, I might have felt a bit betrayed at the outset by Hossa not signing as well, especially with his comments.

I'm talking about the guy being chastised by all these fans (who don't give a **** about the Pens or Wings one way or another) that fail to see their own irony, which is way more blatant and obvious than Hossa's.
While I can accept that Hossa made a personal decision and lost, its not much different or more hard to fathom than a player jumping team to team through a rec league to play for the team he thinks are going to be the next champions. Victory, I know you play hockey, so you must know how the players feel when they see such a player as a turncoat, and will turn it up that muh more when facing that player.
Yes the Stanley cup is different than playing for the rec league trophy, but only in degree.

As a fan, especially a loyal fan, you often place yourself in the shoes of your team's players and take on their perceived viewpoints, as subjective as that is. I can't fault any Pittsburgh Penguins fan for laughing at or mocking Hossa. He chose wrong and lost, and now he gets it rubbed in his face. That's Life in the microcosm we all know as the National Hockey League. The fact that he all but disappeared in the Finals, makes it that much more rewarding for Penguins fans who felt, validly or not, betrayed by Hossa's decision to play for who he thought would be the next Champions. You pay for your choices in life and hockey.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS, SID, GENO, PHILLIPE, MATHIEU, MAX TALBOT AND DAN BYLSMA. YOU EARNED IT.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
While I can accept that Hossa made a personal decision and lost, its not much different or more hard to fathom than a player jumping team to team through a rec league to play for the team he thinks are going to be the next champions. Victory, I know you play hockey, so you must know how the players feel when they see such a player as a turncoat, and will turn it up that muh more when facing that player.
Yes the Stanley cup is different than playing for the rec league trophy, but only in degree.

As a fan, especially a loyal fan, you often place yourself in the shoes of your team's players and take on their perceived viewpoints, as subjective as that is. I can't fault any Pittsburgh Penguins fan for laughing at or mocking Hossa. He chose wrong and lost, and now he gets it rubbed in his face. That's Life in the microcosm we all know as the National Hockey League. The fact that he all but disappeared in the Finals, makes it that much more rewarding for Penguins fans who felt, validly or not, betrayed by Hossa's decision to play for who he thought would be the next Champions. You pay for your choices in life and hockey.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS, SID, GENO, PHILLIPE, MATHIEU, MAX TALBOT AND DAN BYLSMA. YOU EARNED IT.
Are you really comparing a beer league to the NHL?

When you change beer league teams, do you move your family too?

Players in the NHL are a commodity.

Hossa signs in Ottawa, and is traded.....no loyalty to Hossa there.

Hossa plays in S-hole for 2.5 years.

The Penguins deal Colby Armstrong and others to Atlanta. Where is the loyalty to Armstrong who has bleed for the Pens organization? Doesnt he deserve a shot at the playoff run instead of being sent off to a concentration camp in the south?

To think the players owe anything to teams that uproot them and there families at a drop of a hat because there game plans have changed is just ridiculous. I realize this is part of the business, but its just that, "businesss". Every one seems to be taking it to personaly.

Old
06-13-2009, 11:58 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Are you really comparing a beer league to the NHL?

When you change beer league teams, do you move your family too?

Players in the NHL are a commodity.

Hossa signs in Ottawa, and is traded.....no loyalty to Hossa there.

Hossa plays in S-hole for 2.5 years.

The Penguins deal Colby Armstrong and others to Atlanta. Where is the loyalty to Armstrong who has bleed for the Pens organization? Doesnt he deserve a shot at the playoff run instead of being sent off to a concentration camp in the south?

To think the players owe anything to teams that uproot them and there families at a drop of a hat because there game plans have changed is just ridiculous. I realize this is part of the business, but its just that, "businesss". Every one seems to be taking it to personaly.
I think you missed the point of my post. Clearly, Hossa who played a total of about 30-35 games for the Penguins felt no loyalty, other than to himself. That is the point. To the team, as far as managment goes, I see what your saying. But a team is made up of managment and fans and most importantly, players. He obviously showed no loyalty and snubbed the players who he worked with, sweated with, fought for and stood up with, and THAT is the point I was making. Hossa thought the Toasted Wings gave him a better shot. He thought wrong. The Penguin players themselves obviously took it personally, as did their fans. That again is the point.

Like I said, you have consequences for your choices in life. Hossa's are that his team jump to win the cup was an EPIC FAIL. Based on his move and comments about his team jump, He now reaps what he sowed. I have no pity for the guy, and I understand why the fans feel the way they do. I think the same mentality is the reason one Rob Blake is not well thought of in these here parts of California anymore.

As for comparing beer league to the NHL, the comparison is made only to the extent that some players always feel they can improve their lot by jumping from team to team. They are generally not well liked by their former teams. And whereas, some players play just to exercise in rec league, others play to win no matter the cost, but stick with the guys they have played many seasons with even if they might have a better chance on another team. Any other comparison is obviously NEITHER helpful nor appropriate.

P.S. on some "beer league" or more particularly the tournament teams I've played for, if you jumped teams like Hossa did you might HAVE to move your family. You'd certainly have to watch out for your own head!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 12:56 PM
DeeMeck

Congrats to the Pens. It was nice to see the Wings get rattled a bit. They were very out of sync a lot of that game with all the off-sides and such.

Kinda feel bad for Stuart who will take the fall a bit. I always liked him.

Bylsma did a great job making adjustments in that 3rd period. They sunk all 5 guys down low, and he made the proper adjustment when the Wings started taking alot of shots from the point.

It was gonna take the role players stepping up for Pittsburgh and they did just that. Talbot, Kennedy, Eaton, Scuderi all played fine games last night.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Who here thought Mathieu Garon could never win the Cup?
Garon earned the Cup about as much as the tick on Mine That Bird's back earned the Kentucky Derby.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
ok, so what? he took his shot, and it looks like he missed.

It's amazing, all these "fans" thinking that athletes are overpaid, only go where the money is, etc, and here you have one of the NHL's brightest stars taking less money, still scoring 40 goals (and yes, very much struggling in the finals) all in order to W-I-N.

He chose trying to win, over money, and you want to mock him?

If Thierren was still the coach, Pen's wouldn't have made the playoffs, let alone the finals. Hossa, at the time, made the right call. It won't work out for him by the looks of it, but to mock him probably means your own life is pretty pathetic
Finals? Hossa was held goal-less in 20 of 23 playoff games.

Accept it, your man-crush **** the bed for the last seven weeks.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
I thought Philippe' got one with the Stars that year they had Hull and Arnott etc? And their goalie was playing out of his mind good.... Modano was still Captain! Speaks volumes.... I am not biggest fan of the change in Captaincey! I think it hurt their team but who am I to the Stars?
The Stars won the Stanley Cup in 1999. Philippe did not start there until 2002. So I still think it was his first.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Randart

Ahh Okay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
The Stars won the Stanley Cup in 1999. Philippe did not start there until 2002. So I still think it was his first.
So it seems our former Kings got on the Pengs band wagon just in time to collect a ring and get their names on the cup.... I am happy for all our long surffering former players who got to excel at that level. Wish they had been able to hoist one here but at least they got in on the fun in Pitts-Berg...

I always like Philippe, was very sad when he left!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Boucher gave the Kings a big middle finger and left as an UFA right? I recall he had a long history of injuries but the Kings never gave up on him. When he was ready to play many seasons later and past the nagging injuries, the team brought him up and he finally shined. Then, when his stock was high and the team sought to re-sign him, he said "adios." I do also recall though our GM at that time stating that he regretted letting him walk.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Boucher gave the Kings a big middle finger and left as an UFA right?
I wouldn't say that. The Kings offered less money at a shorter term. I'd expect most free agents to leave in that situation.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I wouldn't say that. The Kings offered less money at a shorter term. I'd expect most free agents to leave in that situation.

I was always under the impression it was the same money, one less year.........

Old
06-14-2009, 09:05 AM
sueroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I think you missed the point of my post. Clearly, Hossa who played a total of about 30-35 games for the Penguins felt no loyalty, other than to himself. That is the point. To the team, as far as managment goes, I see what your saying. But a team is made up of managment and fans and most importantly, players. He obviously showed no loyalty and snubbed the players who he worked with, sweated with, fought for and stood up with, and THAT is the point I was making. Hossa thought the Toasted Wings gave him a better shot. He thought wrong. The Penguin players themselves obviously took it personally, as did their fans. That again is the point.

Like I said, you have consequences for your choices in life. Hossa's are that his team jump to win the cup was an EPIC FAIL. Based on his move and comments about his team jump, He now reaps what he sowed. I have no pity for the guy, and I understand why the fans feel the way they do. I think the same mentality is the reason one Rob Blake is not well thought of in these here parts of California anymore.

As for comparing beer league to the NHL, the comparison is made only to the extent that some players always feel they can improve their lot by jumping from team to team. They are generally not well liked by their former teams. And whereas, some players play just to exercise in rec league, others play to win no matter the cost, but stick with the guys they have played many seasons with even if they might have a better chance on another team. Any other comparison is obviously NEITHER helpful nor appropriate.

P.S. on some "beer league" or more particularly the tournament teams I've played for, if you jumped teams like Hossa did you might HAVE to move your family. You'd certainly have to watch out for your own head!
i actually feel for Hossa. I think he has paid his dues in this league, but yes he made his choice, and he has been completely proffessional about it. He stood by his choice and it is what it is. The Pittsburgh Penguins that he left last season was a very different team, first off starting with the coach. He was with the Penguins a short time, he had absolutely no obligation to them, and chose to go a route with a team he felt gave him the better opportunity at the cup, not the money. To me that is character, and to others that is turncoat.

The fact that the Penguin fans booed him etc, is to be expected because they feel he wasn't "loyal", but the reality is loyalty is not a two way street in hockey. The players are expected to be loyal, dedicated to the team, show that "tattoo". Management and i guess us fans only have to be loyal to the player as long as they have some value to us.

Anyway, as much as i am not a big Penguins fan, i congratulate their effort and win.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Sports can be a weird, Garon flops on the Kings and Oilers as a starter and does nothing more than opens and closes the bench door for the Pens and gets his name on the cup.
Garon did not "flop on the Kings," period. I get soooooo tired of reading this...

Check his stats against other all time Kings goalies and league totals when he played here.

Then ask yourself why DL showed him the door and brought in Cloutier (and please don't try to say Garon = Cloutier).

water, bridge: try to realize that Garon did not flop here.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Congrats to the Pens. It was nice to see the Wings get rattled a bit. They were very out of sync a lot of that game with all the off-sides and such.

Kinda feel bad for Stuart who will take the fall a bit. I always liked him.
I liked Stuart too, until he played in L.A. and got beat (couldn't box out, tie up anyone's stick, clear rebounds... because he was no where near the net, etc.) game after game.

It was pure sweet karma to see his poor pass/giveaway lead to the Pens first goal. (Of course it was no karma when he won the cup the previous year... oh well...)

And I agree, it was nice to see the wings get rattled...

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
I was always under the impression it was the same money, one less year.........
http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jul...rts/sp-kings03
Quote:
Philippe Boucher, an unrestricted free agent, bolted the Kings on Tuesday, agreeing to a four-year, $9.3-million contract with the Dallas Stars that will reunite him with former King assistant Dave Tippett, the Stars' new coach.

. . . .

Boucher, 29, turned down a three-year, $6-million offer from the Kings, sources said. He was paid $582,038 last season, when he posted seven goals and 30 points in 80 games, the best totals of his career. The previous season, which Boucher spent mostly in the minors recovering from foot injuries, he earned only about $110,000.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:36 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Great batch of video here: http://post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoID=102000

Fleury's speech about 3:30 in is gold. Guerin's comment about moving from NYI to PIT was priceless.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote