HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Warning: Julien cannot lose again!

Old
04-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

vCash: 500
Warning: Julien cannot lose again!

My biggest fear going into this series isn't Chara, Savard, Bergeron, or Kessel. Nor is it out lack of defensive polish, or a lack of a 2nd line.

It's Julien. Put yourself in his shoes. This guy has finally earned the respect he deserves in the NHL. Do you think he's going to let the habs spoil it _again_? Gainey's coaching is mediocre at best, Julien is on FIRE.

Another person to look out for: Mark Recchi.

Our only chance is if Tim Thomas sucks, Markov Returns, Price crazy good, and the powerplay returns to shape.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 04:16 AM
les3couleurs

Only four ifs, we're golden.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:13 AM
AlexC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post
It's Julien. Put yourself in his shoes. This guy has finally earned the respect he deserves in the NHL. Do you think he's going to let the habs spoil it _again_? Gainey's coaching is mediocre at best, Julien is on FIRE.
That's funny. The only reason I see us win is because Bob Gainey will outcoach CJ.

This comming from someone who didn't like the carbo firing.

And the worst part : I don't know why, I don't have any good explanation. Other than "Do you think BG is going to let CJ spoil the habs centennial ?".

Good thing your explanation isn't better than mine.

edit : even Michel Blanchard had some good words for BG after last game. Wow ! Michel Blanchard ? I was impressed...
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/200...bob-gainey.php

And the best way to know a coach is being his boss for 1 year and a half...

Last edited by AlexC: 04-12-2009 at 06:25 AM.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:19 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Gainey's coaching is mediocre at best
I agree with every part about Julien but I like Gainey coaching. He's a better coach than a GM imo. He has assigned role to player who didn't understand what they were suppose to bring. He settled Higgins in what he really is, an extremely valuable Selke-like two way forward who can chip 20... He calmed Price even invited him for lunch a few times at his condo. He brings the best out of Kovalev.

I was disappointed to see Laraque scratched from the lineup against Boston.. But I sort of understand his decision. You don't want to get caught playing Bruins hockey... If we always beat them it's because we outskate them. We need to skate, stay disciplined and let them do the bullying if we want to win.

I also think that tonight line-combinaison and Tanguay being an healty scratch was some kind of stratageme to give more spotlight and spark Kostitsyn before playoffs.. He was definitively more visible tonight.

I'm really excited about this year playoffs.
This is the best mix of players we've got going in the playoffs in a long time. We now have a brusing line who can score, a dangerous top line of playoff contributer, an enforcer, a goalie capable to get hot, a bunch of UFA on their last chance to win it with this group. Young guys have more experience and they fight a lot of adversity this year.
I like our chance way better than last year.
They look ready and I can't wait.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don't fear Julien. He has "loser" written across his forehead. The guy doesn't inspire confidence and the Devils knew that.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:08 AM
HabsDood

Julien can't be too confident, looking at his CV says so.. Even though he has a winning record, he had some good teams to coach, yet failed when it counted the most, or was misunderstood by his bosses.. There's a word for people like that, what is it again?

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:20 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Julien can't be too confident, looking at his CV says so.. Even though he has a winning record, he had some good teams to coach, yet failed when it counted the most, or was misunderstood by his bosses.. There's a word for people like that, what is it again?
Senators?

Oh you mean choker? well i stand by MY definition of true choking

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:23 AM
HotHabsFan*

It ain't CJ, on the ice and BG will outcoach him by a mile. Lou knows best !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
My biggest fear going into this series isn't Chara, Savard, Bergeron, or Kessel. Nor is it out lack of defensive polish, or a lack of a 2nd line.

Another person to look out for: Mark Recchi.

Our only chance is if Tim Thomas sucks, Markov Returns, Price crazy good, and the powerplay returns to shape.
Recchi is a guy I wish we had on our side... the guy can tip pucks

5 more days for Markov to heal!

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
nas84

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Recchi is a guy I wish we had on our side... the guy can tip pucks

5 more days for Markov to heal!
and the sad part is i actually loved recchi when he wore the bleu blanc rouge, and now he can take that childhood love I had and turn it into absolute disgust:s

nas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Newhabfan

I do not understand why are people saying that BG is not a good coach. Just take the quality of play for most of our team before and after Carbo got fired (forget the results - focus on how they play). If you can't admit that:

- Kovy
- Koivu
- Price
- Komi
- Gorges
- Markov
- Metropolit
- Higgins
- ..others

are playing tons better with Gainey then they were with Carbo then something is wrong with you.

Also - he turned healthy scratches like Dandy and BGL into decent contributors to the team.

The quality of a coach is not measured only by points gained but also by their effect on the players. He was capable of getting the best out of a bunch of underperforming, tired and demoralized players.

Anyway - the whole Bruins/Habs series will be decided by the goalies not the coaches (as usual in the playoffs). Both goalies have history of being stellar and laughable. Remember Red Wings vs Nashville ?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

are playing tons better with Gainey then they were with Carbo then something is wrong with you.
They WERE playing better, then we lost two key players and their confidence was shattered - I don't think they have it back yet, either.

He's a decent coach - but the team he's coaching is very weak - mentally. If you can't see that this is the heart of the problem with the Habs then something is wrong with you.

This team needs better on ice leadership, and to stop thinking the sky is falling every time we hit some adversity.

Oh yeah - Julien can be a fiery guy. If we get him wound up, then he'll project that onto the ruins, which will get them in all kinds of on-ice troubles.

Hopefully!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-12-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
I do not understand why are people saying that BG is not a good coach. Just take the quality of play for most of our team before and after Carbo got fired (forget the results - focus on how they play). If you can't admit that:

- Kovy
- Koivu
- Price
- Komi
- Gorges
- Markov
- Metropolit
- Higgins
- ..others

Also - he turned healthy scratches like Dandy and BGL into decent contributors to the team.

The quality of a coach is not measured only by points gained but also by their effect on the players. He was capable of getting the best out of a bunch of underperforming, tired and demoralized players.

Anyway - the whole Bruins/Habs series will be decided by the goalies not the coaches (as usual in the playoffs). Both goalies have history of being stellar and laughable. Remember Red Wings vs Nashville ?
Gainey is a great coach.

Maybe I wear rose-couloured glasses, but I feel the team has been edged out of recent games by small errors... and that gaping chasm on the blue line, AM79

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
They WERE playing better, then we lost two key players and their confidence was shattered - I don't think they have it back yet, either.

He's a decent coach - but the team he's coaching is very weak - mentally. If you can't see that this is the heart of the problem with the Habs then something is wrong with you.

This team needs better on ice leadership, and to stop thinking the sky is falling every time we hit some adversity.

At least for some (Kovy, Koivu, Higgins, Komisarek) you can say that they are playing better since Gainey then they ever did during the season. And you can directly link their performance to coaching decisions (line making and role defining)

Gainey does not believe his team is weak. And I don't either. It was just an ugly long slump with tons of bad luck.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
habfaninvictoria

Julien has a good regular season record, no argument
Bob also has a good regular season record with the teams he's coached
Julien has been fired twice during a season from teams that had good records, wonder why??
Bob Fired himself once, hired himself 3 times and took those teams into playoffs
Julien has limited playoff experience
Bob won the cup as a player, coach and GM
Julien has a short fuse and is prone to emotional outburst which annoys refs and distracts players
Bob is one of the calmest in the game and when he speaks refs listen because its rare and usually justified

Which would you rather have coaching for the playoffs?

BOB GAINEY will out coach Julien

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Julien has been fired twice during a season from teams that had good records, wonder why??
Bob Fired himself once, hired himself 3 times and took those teams into playoffs
Julien has a short fuse and is prone to emotional outburst which annoys refs and distracts players
Bob is one of the calmest in the game and when he speaks refs listen because its rare and usually justified

I hope you are right!!! BG seems to be very intent on having roles for players, something Carbo couldn't do...for some reason he just seems to have the players confidence and attention...the season is over, throw out all the distractions, and BG has a better chance of coaching the Habs to an upset over the Bruins than Carbo did, that's for sure...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
ludger

Quote:

- Kovy
- Koivu
- Price
- Komi
- Gorges
- Markov
- Metropolit
- Higgins
- ..others

simple, he is not quebecois, nor french

ludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
emb24*

fulien is a good coach and one of his strengths is his discipline and poise - but that came unraveled on Thursday and has in the past vs habs. hopefully we see it again very soon from coach melon head

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:

When was that?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:39 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
When was that?
Wasn't he wearing both hats in Dallas... if not, my bad. Point about experience still valid.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
And Boston's only chance is if Price sucks, Markov doesn't return in shape, Komi sucks, and our PP doesn't produce.

I mean Boston won't win if they think all they have to do is hit us and let their top line produce.
To win a serie, all your lines need to be rolling well. All your key players need to step up.
You think Boston will win if Chara plays like crap and Savard can't buy an assist?

Claude Julien is on fire?..a lot of people in Boston thought Julien might have gotten fired when they went through that drop this season. Although Chiarelli did come out to say it's out of the question. But we all know how honest a GM can be with the media.

You're putting way too much emphasis on coaching here.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

actually from looking at it in the past I believe Bob's coaching career is around 500.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al3xKz View Post
That's funny. The only reason I see us win is because Bob Gainey will outcoach CJ.
This comming from someone who didn't like the carbo firing.

And the worst part : I don't know why, I don't have any good explanation. Other than "Do you think BG is going to let CJ spoil the habs centennial ?".

Good thing your explanation isn't better than mine.

edit : even Michel Blanchard had some good words for BG after last game. Wow ! Michel Blanchard ? I was impressed...
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/200...bob-gainey.php

And the best way to know a coach is being his boss for 1 year and a half...
I don't know if I'd be willing to bet on that but ...

Here's whats going to happen. All our guys that didn't show up in the playoffs last year will be good this year. They have a few guys that are going to fade away and dissapear in the playoffs as well.

But the main thing ... they are so mad at us ... the only way they could have hoped to beat us before was by throwing us outside of our game. This year, by being aggressive and unleash their blind hate on us, they might actually forget to play their game, the one that made them a great ...great .... great hockey team this year. When I saw chara, thornton ... all these guys loosing it ... I felt like their everlasting physical weapon was going to finally backfire on them.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Wasn't he wearing both hats in Dallas... if not, my bad. Point about experience still valid.
I think it was Hitchcock. Gainey led the North Stars to the finals in 91.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:30 PM
One Trick Pony

Wasn't Julien our coach when we came back from 1-3? It's not like he's always on the wrong side and now NEEDS to win absolutely. Also, he's not the players, he's a coach.. all he can do at this point is motivate them. You,re talking like he could be the difference just because he wants to win.

And what do you mean by spoil in again? Because we beat them last year? Weren't we the favorites anyway? I don't see that as spoil. The coaching argument is pretty bad

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote