HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Quinn vows ‘top-to-bottom’ review

Old
04-12-2009, 07:46 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quinn vows ‘top-to-bottom’ review

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/637422.html

Quote:
“It’s probably going to be the most thorough top-to-bottom evaluation ever done here,” Quinn said. “We’re going to do it and it’s going to involve a lot of people. When it’s done, we’ll have a pretty good idea about what we want to do.”

Quinn and Regier began their review Friday, one day after the Sabres were eliminated from playoff contention. When asked how Regier and Ruff will be evaluated, Quinn said he will examine everything in the organization.
Quote:
“This isn’t over. This isn’t the end of the story. This is a team that’s going to get somewhere. We just have to find a way to do it.”

Quinn did not say how much owner Tom Golisano would be involved in the evaluation process. Golisano attended the game before leaving his suite during the third period. He was not available afterward.

“We’ll look at everything,” Quinn said. “When we have a real clear path, we may or may not tell you. We may just start doing things. Clearly, we’re not happy with where we are. There’s nobody in this organization that’s not absolutely miserable over this, and we’re all going to get to work.”

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Hey Quinnie... who's reviewing you, tool?

04-12-2009, 08:12 AM
aceface33

I love it. "When our review is over we may or may not tell you. Any we may or may not do anything." Nice review.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I love it. "When our review is over we may or may not tell you. Any we may or may not do anything." Nice review.
Sounds like he should be the mayor. Or the governor.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:47 AM
OpethianSabre20

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:48 AM
ugotmybeef*

maybe this makes them spend to the cap.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
maybe this makes them spend to the cap.
They're going to be close as it is -- the cap is coming down.

Actually, "spending to the cap" this coming season is going to cut their throat the year after, when it's slated to fall significantly. No, I don't see them doing that.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:32 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Hey Quinnie... who's reviewing you, tool?
He'll be conducting that review personally, with the full-length mirrors he had installed along every wall of his office.

Quote:
Quinn did not say how much owner Tom Golisano would be involved in the evaluation process. Golisano attended the game before leaving his suite during the third period. He was not available afterward.
Typical absentee ownership. He couldn't even be bothered to stick around until the end of the last home game of the season? **** you, BTG, you cowardly fair-weather *****.

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again, but all of you long suffering fans who still live in Buffalo are the best hockey fans in the US, bar none. Combine that with all of the transplants spread out around the country like myself who always seem to make a good showing for road games, and you couldn't ask for a better foundation to build a franchise on.

It's an absolute travasty to see that kind of fanbase getting screwed over by such a dysfunctional, narcissistic, incompetent ownership/management group.

I wonder if it would be possible to take an NHL franchise "public"? Give every Buffalo / Erie county resident preferred stock, which would make up maybe 55% - 75% of the total. Then let the rest of us buy up the other 25% - 45% as common stock. Put appropriate limits in place so that current city/county residents always kept a controlling interest, and make any team relocations require a referendum.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:10 AM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Sounds like he should be the mayor. Or the governor.
You're giving this worm way too much credit.
I wouldn't let him run for county dog catcher.

What a piece of work. "When we have a real clear path, we may or may not tell you"... so any changes that may be made will be invisible to all, except for "insiders"?
What are you going to do Larry, change the color and texture of the toilet paper in the executive washroom?

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Quinn vows ‘top-to-bottom’ fall from President's trophy to basement dweller, with a brief stop at mediocrity along the way.
Fixed.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Fixed.
You know damn well we'll never get THAT far down.

Buffalo Sabres: We Even Fail At Sucking!

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
“This isn’t over. This isn’t the end of the story. This is a team that’s going to get somewhere. We just have to find a way to do it.”
This quote takes you on an emotional roller coaster. At first I thought he was going the Blutarsky/Pearl Harbor route, but then he slouched right back into Washington Generals posture...

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:24 AM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
"Well, after our review, we've decided not to bring back Max Afinogenov. This was a very extensive review, and everyone agreed this was the only really necessary move needed. We've also decided to re-sign Andrew Peters, because he is a very big part of the product we want to put out there on the ice, and believe he'll be a key piece to taking this club to the Stanley Cup. Also, we realized that our team is still young, and developing, and this core group can help us win the Cup. We feel we have all the pieces necessary, with an aggressive GM in Darcy, and a coach who can really get the best out of his players in Lindy. Our owner, BTG, is very active in the team, and he also believes this team can win the Cup, as is. This review was very extensive, and we also realized that the injury to Miller was the reason we missed the playoffs. We still played great, and it's just a shame. The players really stepped it up, but what can you do when you lose a franchise goalie. Ah well, this team will make it to the Cup."

/Sarcasm.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:27 AM
boots electric

Prediction: Ruff will be coaching the Minnesota Wild next season.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
It's so funny that you say that. I was just sitting here thinking about how Mike Ramsey would be as an NHL head coach.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:30 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Edmonton

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

If this rumor about Regier staying and Ruff getting the ax is true...call me completely disgusted. There's absolutely no reason Regier should be retained. You could at least make a minor argument for Ruff. Regier needs to go no matter what. This team needs to be re-made, and a GM that's still in love with Tim Connolly's "potential" needs to go. That contract is simply unacceptable, and anyone that said, "yes" to it (Quinn included) needs to pack their bags. We don't want you here anymore.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Well that's relief. I was afraid Quinn wasn't going to do anything, but now that I know he'll be doing a review I feel soooo much better about next year.

Stanley Cup 2010 Here We Come!!!!!

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Edmonton
Taking into account being close to home?

Old
04-12-2009, 12:45 PM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to take an NHL franchise "public"? Give every Buffalo / Erie county resident preferred stock, which would make up maybe 55% - 75% of the total. Then let the rest of us buy up the other 25% - 45% as common stock. Put appropriate limits in place so that current city/county residents always kept a controlling interest, and make any team relocations require a referendum.
This came up during the bankruptcy when we were trying to figure out ways to ensure the team stayed here. Someone told me there was a rule against that, so it couldn't happen.

After living in Buffalo for the last 10 years, I don't know that I much care fore the ownership by committee thing, anyway. Nothing ever gets done around here already because everyone in the community thinks they need to have a say in every decision that is made; I can't imagine how that would translate into ownership of a hockey team. We'd end up folding because we couldn't come to a consensus about anything before the various deadlines.

Study hard. Be evil.
bflohockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflohockeygirl View Post
We'd end up folding because we couldn't come to a consensus about anything before the various deadlines.
They've already had trouble with deadlines, so really.....nothing new there

Old
04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
ISukAtLyfe

Am I the only one getting a little bit of optimism out Quinn's comments? Sure, he's a tool. Sure, he doesn't exactly know what he's doing. But irregardless of that, he's not the only one that'll be involved in this review. It'll involve a lot of individuals going over things, Darcy included. You've got to think that at least a few individuals involved will have some hockey sense and the problem errors will be realized. At the very least this is a step in the right direction and one that hopefully isn't just "blowing smoke up our ass".

ISukAtLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chalk Outline View Post
Am I the only one getting a little bit of optimism out Quinn's comments? Sure, he's a tool. Sure, he doesn't exactly know what he's doing. But irregardless of that, he's not the only one that'll be involved in this review. It'll involve a lot of individuals going over things, Darcy included. You've got to think that at least a few individuals involved will have some hockey sense and the problem errors will be realized. At the very least this is a step in the right direction and one that hopefully isn't just "blowing smoke up our ass".
What else is he going to say? People are pissed and the status quo hasn't produced.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:57 PM
ISukAtLyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
What else is he going to say? People are pissed and the status quo hasn't produced.
Well most of us expected he'd just come out and give excuses. Miller was hurt, Vanek was hurt, etc. etc. Unless he said this elsewhere, I'm not seeing it and that's a great sign. Even someone as dumb as Quinn (or whoever told him what to say) realizes that a problem exists with the team and it's not wise to come back with the status quo next year.

ISukAtLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
Yeah, agreed.

Honestly, let's take a step back and appreciate the fact that he isn't saying "Well, we came really close to the playoffs even without Vanek and Miller, so we're good!"

The first step is admitting there's a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chalk Outline View Post
Am I the only one getting a little bit of optimism out Quinn's comments?
Optimism is too strong of a word, but I'd qualify it as "a good start."

Last edited by Clock: 04-12-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Clock is offline   Reply With Quote