HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quirky STL Schedule

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quirky STL Schedule

I keep hoping that it is the Blues that the oil get past for the final playoff position. I noticed something this morning that gives me a lot of hope. Whoever did the NHL sched for this season should get a thank you card from the Oilers. Here is what the Blues face to close out the season:

27th - chi
28th - chi
30th - oilers
1st - detroit
3rd - nashville
4th - minny

The Blues play 6 games in 9 nights. The last 3-4 games, they will be exhausted and face 4 very tough games. An older team like the Blues could be in trouble, especially if they over-play their 4 big guns. (pronger, weight, tkachuk, and demitra)

The only break they get is vs Chicago and those two games are back to back on consecutive nights. Most of the time, teams split in this situation.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:57 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
hopefully the oilers aren't out of the race by then.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:18 AM
HarryStrand

Interesting thought. I was considering something similar from a different point of view. I was wondering what detrimental effect the three day wait between games would have on the Oilers and the Predators.

I feel that waiting for the next opportunity to perform can lead to anxiety if the break between performances is prolonged. At this time of year, perhaps the people involved want to get on with the job at hand. The stuff that goes on between games- practise, driving to the arena, interviews answering the same questions, staying in hotels and riding on busses for road games, etc. - strikes me as being very exhausting, too.

Sports psychology isn't my schtick. In general, though, I find that most people, especially those who have a lot of expectations placed upon them, tend to perform at a higher level when the pressure situations are clustered together. Opportunities for rest may be good for physical well-being, but a lighter practise schedule, rescheduling personal commitments, and changes to diet and some environmental situations can alleviate much of the fatigue of a hectic schedule. Now, it may very well be that hockey is so physical and the bumps and bruises accumulated over the last several months are too much to overcome , as well.

It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out. I had thought that St. Louis was in big trouble several weeks ago, but a coaching change and the insertion of a person like Mike Sillinger seems to have given the team a positive outlook.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
[QUOTE=HarryStrand]Interesting thought. I was considering something similar from a different point of view. I was wondering what detrimental effect the three day wait between games would have on the Oilers and the Predators.QUOTE]

Any other year I would say that this would hurt the Oilers, but the 2003-2004 edition is a wierd bunch to figure out. I think they will welcome the break between games, because they have been playing "playoff" games since end of February. I think the extra days rest will hurt the Preds and help the Oil. I was think it is better to be at home and have a long break than to be the team on the road, on a crazy pace (travel, game, practice etc..) and to all of a sudden, have to wait to play (3 days)

I thought the Oilers came out flat vs the BJs because it was agme sandwiched in between to BIG games.

Only time will tell.

My 2 cents.

Old
03-18-2004, 11:23 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
The Blues play 6 games in 9 nights. The last 3-4 games, they will be exhausted and face 4 very tough games. An older team like the Blues could be in trouble, especially if they over-play their 4 big guns. (pronger, weight, tkachuk, and demitra)
Yeah, but look at the Oilers' sked...

Mar 19 vs Nashville
Mar 21 at San Jose
Mar 22 at Los Angeles
Mar 24 vs Dallas
Mar 26 vs Los Angeles
Mar 28 vs Phoenix
Mar 30 at St. Louis
Mar 31 at Dallas

That's 8 games in 13 days, with two h2h's on the road.

But I agree, the Blues should have a much tougher time handling a condensed schedule given their age, lack of depth and the ice time already logged by their big guns.

Old
03-19-2004, 12:53 AM
Mr Sakich

with the LA loss tonight, our future is almost in our hands. We beat them twice and they are out. It is all going to come down to one of Nashville or STL not gettingthe job done and I hope it is STL.

Since Dougie went to the Blues, how many playoff rounds have they won?

Old
03-19-2004, 03:05 AM
dirt

One series win since Weight has been in St. Louis.

Two games vs Chicago is no break for the Blues. They have played poorly against the Hawks this season.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:04 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

The Hawks also get Thibault back.

In my view, we'll know if the Oilers are still in the hunt in 12 hours. Lose tonight, and I think it's all but finished.

Old
03-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Matts

Great news about Jocleyn

makes the hawks a little tougher to beat. That's why I wasn't happy with the Wings injuries, they had gmaes vs the Flames and Preds to play. Nice to see Datsyuk came back last night though.

Old
03-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Mr Sakich

hopefully Hatcher will be back in time to help beat the preds as well.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:12 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
hopefully Hatcher will be back in time to help beat the preds as well.
Isn't he already back? Or was he taken back out?

Old
03-19-2004, 02:27 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
He was back for about 4 games, then he injured his shoulder against Calgary and is out again.

Old
03-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Mr Sakich

two weeks ago, this game was obviously the most important facing the oil. They have done their part up to now. They could put the Blues into a world of trouble.

Detroit is playing very good right now so I think they will beta the Blues tomorrow.The Blues will have to win back to back games vs Nashville and Minny to get in. There is a decent rivalry between Minny and STL so Minny will be up for that one. It will be their biggest game of the year.

I hate STL because they stole Doug Weight then proceeded to lose 20 million plus a year. They are the posterchild for everything wrong in the NHL. Tonight is so much more than just a game. It is a battle of the underdog fighting the forces of evil.

Closed Thread