HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Second Line Dilemma

Old
04-12-2009, 11:35 AM
BayouHab

vCash: 500
Second Line Dilemma

It's fairly clear now that AK46 and Plekan-Fail will NOT snap out on their massive slumps in time for the Bruins series.

However, it is also VERY clear that Lapierre and Lantendresse have been playing strongly as of late.

So my question is this...if you are Bob, do you switch the AK/Plek second line with the Laps/Lat/Kost line? I don't think we can afford to wait on these players to come through anymore. We NEED some sort of change that gives us the best opportunity to win.

At least the Laps/Lats/Kost line will fight for the puck and won't be scared to be physical. I just don't see the current second line being successful, in any way, against the Bruins.

Second thought...we saw a few high quality shifts of Kovalev/Laps/Lats vs. the Penguins. Now, I do not think Bob should break up the first line, but perhaps putting Higgins with Laps/Lats in a second line scenario would be successful, since Higgins is more skillful and provides more offensive spark than Kostop. Unfortunately....this means Kostop is moved to the 4th line.

Thoughts?

BayouHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Miller Time

1. Tanguay- Koivu- Kovalev
2A. Lats- Lapierre- A.Kost
2B. Higgins- Pleks- D'Ago
3. Dandy- Metro- Kosto

play the 1st/2A lines the most, split the time for line 2B/3 based on who is more effective on a given night... and PRAY that the 1st line can figure out to be as dangerous 5 on 5 as they were on the PP before Markov got hurt.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:58 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
3. Dandy- Metro- Kosto

play the 1st/2A lines the most, split the time for line 2B/3 based on who is more effective on a given night... and PRAY that the 1st line can figure out to be as dangerous 5 on 5 as they were on the PP before Markov got hurt.
I'd probably change your lines just a tad, starting with the 3rd (2b) line.

3) kosto - pleks - d'ago/sergei
4) higgins - Metro - laraque

d=

markov - komi
hamrlik - gorges
dandy - schnieder
weber/bouillon

i might be inclined to take sergei over d'ago in a defensive role since d'ags kinda sucks at playing d.

Does kosto ever jump on the lw?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:00 PM
BayouHab

So both of you would keep AK46 on the second even after moving Lats/Laps there?

I just worry that AK46 will be too selfish on the line with them. I personally see Higgins being a better option. However, I suppose for offensive firepower, AK46 would be a better option.

AK46 needs to snap out of it, for the love of God.

Old
04-12-2009, 12:08 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouHab View Post

I just worry that AK46 will be too selfish on the line with them. I personally see Higgins being a better option. However, I suppose for offensive firepower, AK46 would be a better option.

I think we need to take that chance. No one can fill in for ak46 if he's slumping, so we need to do what we can to wake him up. It's a perfect line IMO, 2 guys who have all the heart in the world, fight for the puck (AND WIN) and generally get a lot of chances near the net. Add to that the sniper/dangler that is AK46 and they will do damage.

One thing i love about andrei is that he's not that shy around the net, he gets in pretty close and he's always there trying to deflect pucks. If he ends up on a line with lapierre and lats, he'll be getting a ton of garbage goals.

Also, i love kosto but even someone like lapierre has to be getting frustrated with how many times the play is driven into the ground because kosto loses the puck.

The lats- lapierre duo have transcended the 'just grinders' stigma and can be something to behold offensively if they get that missing piece.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:12 PM
BayouHab

I don't disagree with you at all. In fact, I think you may be spot-on. (btw I have no idea how to quote text in this particular forum format...help?)

I'm now picturing a line with Laps and Andrei causing havoc in front of Thomas. They are both such a pain in the ass in front of goal. I bet they draw some penalties with those Bruins goon defensemen as well. Good call, this may be perfect.

But will Bob do it...

Old
04-12-2009, 12:13 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
3. Dandy- Metro- Kosto

For the first game against the Bruins in Boston:

Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev

Higgins - Lapierre - Latendresse

Stewart - Plekanec - Dandenault

Kostopoulos - Metropolit - Laraque

After the first two games, A.Kost or D'Agostini might be inserted in the line up.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:14 PM
howie44

here is what should be done against the bruins

1-Kovalev-Koivu-tanguay= no explenation needed
2-A.Kost-Plecks-stewart/dags = stew will play very hard and fast forcing the others to work harder as well as the toughness to take lucic off his game and speed to keep up to the play or dags to hopefully play like he did last boston game
3-Lats-Laps-Kosto =work well together despite kosto's lack of anything but heart
4- higgins-metro-stewart/dags = stewart for toughness or dags for goals on a line that can make up for his defence.

Defence
schneider-georges
hammer- komi
dandy-weber
these pairings could be mixed

Laraque can not keep up to lucic and will not get him to fight. Stewart will keep up to and drive lucic crazy as well as anyone else near him and can beat him in a fight but for all of you lucic is toughest man alive fans on here it wouldn't matter if he lost cause lucic would be gone for five and already distracted from playing his game.

howie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

If you want to win a serie, we'll need A.Kost.

I'd keep A.Kost/Plek/D'Ago (S.Kost) together.

The playoff is like a new season. It's not about getting out of a slump.
We turn the page, start from scratch. Everybody has 0GP 0pts 0+/- etc..
You come in focus after a few days rest, and you give it your all.

All our lines will need to be effective at their role in order for us to win.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If you want to win a serie, we'll need A.Kost.

I'd keep A.Kost/Plek/D'Ago (S.Kost) together.

The playoff is like a new season. It's not about getting out of a slump.
We turn the page, start from scratch. Everybody has 0GP 0pts 0+/- etc..
You come in focus after a few days rest, and you give it your all.

All our lines will need to be effective at their role in order for us to win.
Oh yeah ??? I certainly don't agree with you. Those guys are COLD. You just don't turn a switch ON or OFF.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Ross MacLochness

While Akost, Sergei, and D'ago have had their struggles this year, for me Plekanec is becoming a major problem. No matter who is playing with this guy, the line will spend most of the game running around their own zone. Teams have figured it out. Pleks is way too small to win any battles down low and opposing forwards are just protecting the puck and cycling, and keeping us hemmed in. I think Plekanec is starting to play right into it as well. He knows people are calling him soft and weak etc and he's trying to play bigger than he is. What he needs to do is get back to what made him successful, out-thinking other players and use his speed and shiftiness.

I still think D'ago-Plekanec-Kostitsyn can be successful. The wingers just need to work hard and Plekanec needs to work smarter.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:32 PM
beaverBFP

Anyone else remember from the game last night where kovy was double shifting (who knows with kovy lol) and he was playing with laps and kosto or lats (can't remember which one it was) but they had 3 solid scoring chances in a row? I wounder if akost could do the same with those kind of grinders playing with him and setting him up

beaverBFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:33 PM
BayouHab

I just worry a D'Ago-Plek-AK46 line will get roughed up badly.

What about...

1st line...Kovy-Kov-Tang
2nd...Lats-Laps-AK46
3rd...Stewart-Plek-D'Ago
4th...Higgins-Metro-Laraque/Kostop

Once again, someone has to be the odd man out. I think we would be INSANE to not dress Stewart. I like him on the third line because you have someone who can hit, Plek as the sniper (well..yeah..), and D'Ago as the do-it-all guy.

Old
04-12-2009, 12:34 PM
BayouHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverBFP View Post
Anyone else remember from the game last night where kovy was double shifting (who knows with kovy lol) and he was playing with laps and kosto or lats (can't remember which one it was) but they had 3 solid scoring chances in a row? I wounder if akost could do the same with those kind of grinders playing with him and setting him up
Yeah that's what I was talking about. AK46 could be fine in that role instead of Kovy. And it was Latendresse not Kostop

Old
04-12-2009, 12:36 PM
howie44

Quote:
I just worry a D'Ago-Plek-AK46 line will get roughed up badly.

What about...

1st line...Kovy-Kov-Tang
2nd...Lats-Laps-AK46
3rd...Stewart-Plek-D'Ago
4th...Higgins-Metro-Laraque/Kostop

Once again, someone has to be the odd man out. I think we would be INSANE to not dress Stewart. I like him on the third line because you have someone who can hit, Plek as the sniper (well..yeah..), and D'Ago as the do-it-all guy.
those lines actually look very good as well

howie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Slippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverBFP View Post
Man I found that hilarious lol

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Oh yeah ??? I certainly don't agree with you. Those guys are COLD. You just don't turn a switch ON or OFF.
When you play a season and are in a slump, you always have that in mind. This doesn't help your concentration.
Now if the problem is physical, which I doubt, then it's different.

The slump dies with the season. It's over, they have the opportunity to start all over. Will they take it?..I guess we'll see.

I also don't agree with you. What happens when guys get out of their slump?..They have a good game and after that it keeps going. So yea, it is like a on/off switch.
How did Plek get out of his slump?..He came back from his suspension and played great.
Kovalev got 2games rest and came back great.

This little rest combined with the fact they all start from scratch can help them focus on the PO and come back with a mission.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
For the first game against the Bruins in Boston:

Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev

Higgins - Lapierre - Latendresse

Stewart - Plekanec - Dandenault

Kostopoulos - Metropolit - Laraque

After the first two games, A.Kost or D'Agostini might be inserted in the line up.

Even if Andrei is cold but in the playoff, we need scorer. You cannot start the playoff with two 20 goals scorers and one of them is playing on a 3rd with a defenseman and a grinder. Especially when the Bruins has 7 20-goal scorers and Chara with 19.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Thinkbig

Quote:
It's fairly clear now that AK46 and Plekan-Fail will NOT snap out on their massive slumps in time for the Bruins series.

However, it is also VERY clear that Lapierre and Lantendresse have been playing strongly as of late.

So my question is this...if you are Bob, do you switch the AK/Plek second line with the Laps/Lat/Kost line? I don't think we can afford to wait on these players to come through anymore. We NEED some sort of change that gives us the best opportunity to win.

At least the Laps/Lats/Kost line will fight for the puck and won't be scared to be physical. I just don't see the current second line being successful, in any way, against the Bruins.

Second thought...we saw a few high quality shifts of Kovalev/Laps/Lats vs. the Penguins. Now, I do not think Bob should break up the first line, but perhaps putting Higgins with Laps/Lats in a second line scenario would be successful, since Higgins is more skillful and provides more offensive spark than Kostop. Unfortunately....this means Kostop is moved to the 4th line.

Thoughts?
Did you see the Laps line on the PP? They look PATHETIC....They have no skills whatsoever, they deserve their 3 rd line spot. Let the Pleks line second.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Even if Andrei is cold but in the playoff, we need scorer. You cannot start the playoff with two 20 goals scorers and one of them is playing on a 3rd with a defenseman and a grinder. Especially when the Bruins has 7 20-goal scorers and Chara with 19.
You got it.

At this point you live and die with AKost (up to a point)

Although, I'm liking Dago, as he is a Canadian kid who will be pumped in his first Stanley Cup (no to be too Don Cherry, here)

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote