HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

beer league subs

Old
05-19-2014, 03:17 PM
hyster110

vCash: 500
beer league subs

hey guys

so i started subbing for a team for the summer, but the guys who runs the teams wants me to pay 10 dollars a game to play when they are short full time players. i havent subbed before but is that a regular things do to. for those who run teams, do you guys do that?

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Nibbler

vCash: 137
I have played on teams where the captain does that, typically only when they know they will have trouble paying the league fee. I've seen captains get screwed over and have to pay twice as much as everyone else because he couldn't find enough players, or he had players quit on him, and the rest of the team refused to pitch in more.

$10 a game is a pretty good deal considering what you might be paying if you played full time.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 03:50 PM
soireeculturelle

its a good deal.

at the rink I play at the subs usually pay 20 per game, which is reasonable too.

soireeculturelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 03:56 PM
dukeofjive

At the rink i work at, the beer league players have to fork out 400 to 500 bucks for a 7 month season, 2 games a week, goalie play for free.

A 1:30h rental which is what the league get is 200$.

10 bucks is pretty cheap for up here

dukeofjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
MattGTI

I concur with everyone else. 10.00 is super cheap to pay per game as a sub.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 04:37 PM
robmneilson

We had to up our sub fees to $25.00. Last season, you could have subbed every game @ the $20 fee and paid slightly less than a full time player. Sucks to have to charge, but it's only fair for everyone else paying for ice time.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 05:15 PM
TieClark

I've never heard of charging players to sub in unless you become a regular player.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Ozz

Sometimes one of my teams will have a non-rostered spot and we'll get subs throughout the season who pay on a game-by-game basis. The cost per game is based on the even split for the whole season, so it's as fair as can be.

If a full-time player has to miss a game, we'll just play short (we like the extra ice time anyway). Or if we miss too many players at once, we'll get someone to come be a body and we won't charge him because the spot is already paid for.

Maybe the first situation is the case, or perhaps the guy missing his time wants to come out even by having someone buy his spot. Nothing wrong with that but usually most people don't care about that. Hell, one dude on our team paid for a full season and only played 1 out of 8 games so far. And there's only a couple left in this short season!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 05:56 PM
buddhaknows

In one Friday night league I've been asked to sub at no cost a few times. I always offer the league director money. Almost always he never takes it. When he does he uses my contribution to tip the ref.

In a separate league/rink, sometimes the league manager will ask me to sub if he doesn't have enough guys and won't charge me. When I drop in on his league which he lets me do from time to time it's $25. On one of our Wednesday night leagues it's $25 to sub.

Bottom line, I think $10 is really reasonable.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Some leagues I play in require it (fee paid to the league).

My rule would be that the team should collect money if and only if it's a passthrough to the league.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Pacifist Goon

I'm paying $15.00 for scrimmages and $10- $13 for public sessions. Pay in bulk in advance for competition which works out about the same or a little more for games as scrimmages. It adds up doing several times a week, but other people pay more for boating, jet skiing, skiing, scuba diving or any number of other pursuits or hobbies, even smoking cigarettes.

I'd be $60-$75 a week on ice.

It's not a cheap sport or pursuit. On the flip side, I have pretty flexible work hours and conditions and can regularly get out on ice for the admission price only and get the rink to myself for a couple of hours with stick, goal and a bucket of pucks, which ordinarily retails for hundreds an hour to rent privately.

..I'd be happy too to pay to fill in, but not if the other guy missing had already paid. Then you're helping them out and they 're double dipping. You pay your subs and if you can't make games tough. That's not everyone else's problem to cover you financially or reimburse you.

Last edited by Pacifist Goon: 05-19-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Pacifist Goon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Pacifist Goon

Ten bucks bargain.

Old
05-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Terry Yake

most leagues around where i live charge 20-30 bucks to sub for a game

10 bucks is a sweet deal

Terry Yake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Pacifist Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
most leagues around where i live charge 20-30 bucks to sub for a game

10 bucks is a sweet deal
It's just like feeding a habit or addiction, but a good one. Got to get my fix.

Old
05-21-2014, 12:31 AM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

I guess it depends if the captain in keeping the 10 or not. In my league the games are paid for up front, so the captain asking for money would seem somewhat strange because someone already did pay for the ice.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 12:59 AM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Good deal, $15 for the league in my town.

05-21-2014, 07:04 AM
jazzykat

If you get a reasonable amount of ice time (nearly equal to the other guys) you are getting a good deal.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 11:31 AM
rinkrat22

I've run teams and I've sub'd for teams. If a guy is bailing the team out (we're only gonna have 6 skaters) I wouldn't charge them. if the player is a full time sub someone who wants to play but for whatever reason their life doesn't let them commit full time. I'd charge them.

just my $.02

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 01:44 PM
rh71

25 on the teams I've played on but I never sub. Paying for the full season makes me commit more. Subbing and paying that makes it seem overpriced because I'll randomly have a terrible game with little ice time. Evens out over a season as a regular.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 03:36 PM
intangible

$10 is fair and the most I'd pay. Remember: you're there doing them a favor; otherwise they're short. In those cases I go, pay my $10, and cut out a few or so shifts if someone else can play since they're regular players. While I agree that if it's too cheap or free that it encourages guys not to pay the actual fee, this rarely happens outside of those structured leagues where everyone pays the same amount.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 04:01 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

When I was a captain we charged our subs $20 per game. We run our own league and although the ice is already paid for the sub money was used for either team or league expenses and I never pocketed anything. One year we used it to offset jersey costs and another year we put it towards our Winter Classic so all teams could play for free.

I was very lax about collecting though. I would tell the guys up front what the fee was. Sometimes they paid and sometimes they didn't, but I never followed up and asked for the dough in the locker room.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 07:57 AM
howeaboutthat

Over here in the UK subbing for teams is not really possible as all players in your squad have to be registered (through the EIHA) to a specific team. You can be registered to more than one team but this means paying the 45 (?, can't honestly remember the exact amount) fee for each registration. Alternatively you can transfer your registration to another team once per season for free.

As for training and game costs, we pay 10 each for an hour of training, with 19 skaters being the breakeven for covering ice time. If more than 19 turn up then the extra money goes towards club funds and pays for training jerseys, pucks etc and subsidising game fees. Game fees are usually 20 and this is based on three lines being played. Game fees cover 2 hours of ice time, 2 stewards and on-ice official costs.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 09:03 AM
nilan30

I've heard some rinks in the Toronto Area charge around $500 an hour for ice time. Can anyone speak to the accuracy of this? I know in Thunder Bay it is about $185 per hour (50 minutes). My hometown we pay $50 an hour for the 730 slot on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Plus we usually stay out for an hour and a half or so. The joys of being in a small town with a dying minor hockey program.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 10:38 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
I've heard some rinks in the Toronto Area charge around $500 an hour for ice time. Can anyone speak to the accuracy of this? I know in Thunder Bay it is about $185 per hour (50 minutes). My hometown we pay $50 an hour for the 730 slot on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Plus we usually stay out for an hour and a half or so. The joys of being in a small town with a dying minor hockey program.
Where I play the prime times are filled up with the men's league which is about 600 for the entire year. The ice rents really late or on long weekends and what not for about 200 normally. That's in the Gta so I doubt your number is true.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
hey guys

so i started subbing for a team for the summer, but the guys who runs the teams wants me to pay 10 dollars a game to play when they are short full time players. i havent subbed before but is that a regular things do to. for those who run teams, do you guys do that?
Not all need to do that, but that is a pretty good deal.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote