HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2008-2009 Playoffs, Habs Vs Bruins Preview

Old
04-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
2008-2009 Playoffs, Habs Vs Bruins Preview

It's that time of year again, can't you smell it?

I want to avoid the cliche as much as possible, but this season has been one hell of a rollercoaser ride. Injuries, bad press, slumps, coaching change you name it, the team has gone through it all. We barely squeezed into the playoffs, but what can we expect from this seemingly fragile team?

One thing is for sure, with Bob Gainey behind the bench, Montreal has a good change to make it out alive. Bob Gainey is an intellectual more than he is a coach, he is a chess player, there's more to hockey than x's and o's to Gainey. He's going head to head with arguably the best x's and o's coaches in the league, but in my opinion Gainey has the upper hand because he's not an emotional guy and always stays focus, something we can't say about our bruins rival Claude Julien. This series will be a coaching series more than it will be about the play on the ice. Tapping into Julien's emotions will be key to our success.

Now to the players. On paper, Habs don't live up to what the bruins' roster offers, but our success lies in the big 5, Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Price and Markov. These guys are going to have to put their hearts on the line and if past playoff and clutch game performances have shown, I'm pretty confident the five will show up. Koivu and Kovalev are the definition of playoff performers IMO. There is one more player who is equally as important and could be the key in order for the habs to put up a good fight and that player is Andrei Kostitsyn. We all know that when he is on, he can change a game almost as much as Kovalev can. Will he care? There's no reason for me to think otherwise, last year's playoffs he was a beast and if he can repeat that performance we are in good shape because when he's on his game he's physical, intelligent and dangerous and could alone give us the secondary scoring we need.

When I watch the Lappiere line I can't help but rid the image of the Moen/Pahlsson line for the Ducks in their cup run. Lats, Laps and Tom the bomb play with heart, passion and fire. Could they be our Pahlsson, Moen and Neidermayer? There's no reason that I can think of to think other wise.

Our Defense. One move I am hoping Gainey makes is moving Dandy to the backend. He plays a very safe game and most importantly he plays with heart. Always makes the safe play and can skate with the puck. Our D has to be on their toes the entire series because not only can the Bruins play a north-south game effectively, but their east-west game is just as dangerous. Can we neutralize their attack? I think we can, we've done it before against teams like the Wings and the Flames earlier in the season under a coach who wasn't the best at the technicalities of the game, Under Gainey habs have a shot.

Furthermore, nothing makes me happier than being the underdog. The bruins no matter how much they say otherwise think this will be an easy series, they will try to intimidate and push around and I think this is the biggest weakness that we will have to exploit.

Finally, the most important part of this whole series will be the fans. The fans have to believe in the team more than the team has to believe in themselves. We need the will of every single fan to give this team the strength the battle through what will be a war like series. We need to forget who played bad this year and what players we hate. We have to forget about who's french, english, chinese, arab or what ever and cheer the crest on the front. This year has been nothing but a disaster and I truly believe that badluck pot has run out.

Keys to the series:-Getting into Julien's, Chara's and Lucic's heads.
-Keeping the bruins attack to the outside
-Test Thomas early and test him often, keep the shots high, get into his face and get him off his game, he's very emotional.
-Get the puck behind the bruins D, and use our speed to neutralize their D.

We will beat the bruins, mark my words.

Go habs Go!!

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Amen!

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:25 PM
la25ecoupe

Dude, if i were you, i would be scared that Julien will come here and read the tactics..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Caekslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
It's that time of year again, can't you smell it?

I want to avoid the cliche as much as possible, but this season has been one hell of a rollercoaser ride. Injuries, bad press, slumps, coaching change you name it, the team has gone through it all. We barely squeezed into the playoffs, but what can we expect from this seemingly fragile team?

One thing is for sure, with Bob Gainey behind the bench, Montreal has a good change to make it out alive. Bob Gainey is an intellectual more than he is a coach, he is a chess player, there's more to hockey than x's and o's to Gainey. He's going head to head with arguably the best x's and o's coaches in the league, but in my opinion Gainey has the upper hand because he's not an emotional guy and always stays focus, something we can't say about our bruins rival Claude Julien. This series will be a coaching series more than it will be about the play on the ice. Tapping into Julien's emotions will be key to our success.

Now to the players. On paper, Habs don't live up to what the bruins' roster offers, but our success lies in the big 5, Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Price and Markov. These guys are going to have to put their hearts on the line and if past playoff and clutch game performances have shown, I'm pretty confident the five will show up. Koivu and Kovalev are the definition of playoff performers IMO. There is one more player who is equally as important and could be the key in order for the habs to put up a good fight and that player is Andrei Kostitsyn. We all know that when he is on, he can change a game almost as much as Kovalev can. Will he care? There's no reason for me to think otherwise, last year's playoffs he was a beast and if he can repeat that performance we are in good shape because when he's on his game he's physical, intelligent and dangerous and could alone give us the secondary scoring we need.

When I watch the Lappiere line I can't help but rid the image of the Moen/Pahlsson line for the Ducks in their cup run. Lats, Laps and Tom the bomb play with heart, passion and fire. Could they be our Pahlsson, Moen and Neidermayer? There's no reason that I can think of to think other wise.

Our Defense. One move I am hoping Gainey makes is moving Dandy to the backend. He plays a very safe game and most importantly he plays with heart. Always makes the safe play and can skate with the puck. Our D has to be on their toes the entire series because not only can the Bruins play a north-south game effectively, but their east-west game is just as dangerous. Can we neutralize their attack? I think we can, we've done it before against teams like the Wings and the Flames earlier in the season under a coach who wasn't the best at the technicalities of the game, Under Gainey habs have a shot.

Furthermore, nothing makes me happier than being the underdog. The bruins no matter how much they say otherwise think this will be an easy series, they will try to intimidate and push around and I think this is the biggest weakness that we will have to exploit.

Finally, the most important part of this whole series will be the fans. The fans have to believe in the team more than the team has to believe in themselves. We need the will of every single fan to give this team the strength the battle through what will be a war like series. We need to forget who played bad this year and what players we hate. We have to forget about who's french, english, chinese, arab or what ever and cheer the crest on the front. This year has been nothing but a disaster and I truly believe that badluck pot has run out.

Keys to the series:-Getting into Julien's, Chara's and Lucic's heads.
-Keeping the bruins attack to the outside
-Test Thomas early and test him often, keep the shots high, get into his face and get him off his game, he's very emotional.
-Get the puck behind the bruins D, and use our speed to neutralize their D.

We will beat the bruins, mark my words.

Go habs Go!!
Great read, thanks.

Please be our next coach.

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
What year was the last time Montreal lost to Boston in the playoffs?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Cupmonger

Can't wait! I just want something fun to watch and for us to win !

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
What year was the last time Montreal lost to Boston in the playoffs?
92 I think

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote