HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders Prospects: 09-10 Edition Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2010, 01:11 PM
  #876
NYI78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Milford CT
Country: United States
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
First off, thanks to you and CIsle for the consistent BPort coverage. It's nice to know what's going on down there. I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

You mention Dibo being lucky to be in the AHL, but has he shown any flashes of skill that would make you think he could make it some day?

I also have a question about Figren, because his production does not make sense to me. Is he really as brutal as his numbers would suggest? And if he is, are his issues fixable?

Thanks, again.

dibo looks lost out their and he really needs some consistency...he needs to get his nose dirtier..i trip to utah is needed..figren has been better the past month and this seems to be a lost season but he is showing signs that he is getting it...so lets see next year what happens

NYI78 is offline  
Old
02-02-2010, 01:31 PM
  #877
Sneekypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Branford,Ct
Country: United States
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
First off, thanks to you and CIsle for the consistent BPort coverage. It's nice to know what's going on down there. I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

You mention Dibo being lucky to be in the AHL, but has he shown any flashes of skill that would make you think he could make it some day?

I also have a question about Figren, because his production does not make sense to me. Is he really as brutal as his numbers would suggest? And if he is, are his issues fixable?

Thanks, again.
Dibo has had about 10 games were he has played really well. On most nights he is invisible in the offensive zone and for a forward thats never a good thing. To me he seems to always be slow in his decision making and slightly behind the play. He has made many bad decisions with the puck on rushes and has not shown any game breaking skill. He has shyed away from contact on many a night and then on some nights he takes a big hit and wakes up and actually plays hard.He has also looked very lazy at times, like the effort just wasnt there. If Bport had a good offensive team, Dibo would struggle to be in the line up let alone in Bport at all. I would basically write this season off as a transition year and hope that next year he comes into camp quicker and stronger and much more confident.

Figren is a very special case up until Janruary he was probably the worse hockey player I had seen maybe ever not including goons like Todd and Dean Ewen etc etc. etc.. He was 100% clueless of what to do in all 3 zones. He couldn`t pass, shoot or do pretty much anything. He was always out of position. He always did skate very well no one can argue that but what good is skating if you can`t do anything else. Over the last few weeks Figren has gotten much better, but i guess the question is how much better has he gotten. He skates very hard and has started playing the body a little. His passing is still very mediocre but his shot when he gets it off is good. Nothing he has done has translated in points nor does much deserve to translate into points or more ice time. He could also use time in Utah just to try and regain his scoring touch. I do have to say he is playing very hard lately.
If I had to make a guess right now, on if either Dibo or Figren will ever sniff the NHL my answer is 100% NO. I hope these kids turn things around and have long careers.

Sneekypete is offline  
Old
02-02-2010, 02:49 PM
  #878
mm11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Anders Lee

take a peek folks at what he is doing as a rookie in the USHL. Equivalent to the Canadian major Juniors but USA's version. Some good talent there

Okposo, Dipietro, Gregoire and Donovan to name a few played in the USHL as these kids eventually go the NCAA route after


This kid Lee is playing for the best team in the league by far and is leading his teams in all categories and us up there in the league in all categories including plus/minus

Remember he was drafted in 09 b/c scouts were unsure if he was going to play football as he had D1 offers to play QB but he elected hockey instead. Hockey was a hobby for him during HS and now he is doing this full time. late bloomer? has great size and skating ability and is probably kind of raw but looking like a good gamble so far

anyone seen him play??

mm11 is offline  
Old
02-02-2010, 03:10 PM
  #879
ndgolden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Regarding Lee, here is some High School footage found on a google search...

http://espanol.video.yahoo.com/watch/4506248/12074103

ndgolden is offline  
Old
02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
  #880
redbull
respect, earned.
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
Regarding Lee, here is some High School footage found on a google search...

http://espanol.video.yahoo.com/watch/4506248/12074103
impressive. tell me more about this "google" person!
---
although you can't tell anything from a single clip, he skates very well and seems to have some nice hands.

redbull is offline  
Old
02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
  #881
JPIsles21
Registered User
 
JPIsles21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Dibo has had about 10 games were he has played really well. On most nights he is invisible in the offensive zone and for a forward thats never a good thing. To me he seems to always be slow in his decision making and slightly behind the play. He has made many bad decisions with the puck on rushes and has not shown any game breaking skill. He has shyed away from contact on many a night and then on some nights he takes a big hit and wakes up and actually plays hard.He has also looked very lazy at times, like the effort just wasnt there. If Bport had a good offensive team, Dibo would struggle to be in the line up let alone in Bport at all. I would basically write this season off as a transition year and hope that next year he comes into camp quicker and stronger and much more confident.

Figren is a very special case up until Janruary he was probably the worse hockey player I had seen maybe ever not including goons like Todd and Dean Ewen etc etc. etc.. He was 100% clueless of what to do in all 3 zones. He couldn`t pass, shoot or do pretty much anything. He was always out of position. He always did skate very well no one can argue that but what good is skating if you can`t do anything else. Over the last few weeks Figren has gotten much better, but i guess the question is how much better has he gotten. He skates very hard and has started playing the body a little. His passing is still very mediocre but his shot when he gets it off is good. Nothing he has done has translated in points nor does much deserve to translate into points or more ice time. He could also use time in Utah just to try and regain his scoring touch. I do have to say he is playing very hard lately.
If I had to make a guess right now, on if either Dibo or Figren will ever sniff the NHL my answer is 100% NO. I hope these kids turn things around and have long careers.
Thanks. It's a shame because I expected more from these 2 this year. But both seem to be brutally bad.

JPIsles21 is offline  
Old
02-02-2010, 08:11 PM
  #882
Isles Enforcer
Registered User
 
Isles Enforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Dibo has had about 10 games were he has played really well. On most nights he is invisible in the offensive zone and for a forward thats never a good thing. To me he seems to always be slow in his decision making and slightly behind the play. He has made many bad decisions with the puck on rushes and has not shown any game breaking skill. He has shyed away from contact on many a night and then on some nights he takes a big hit and wakes up and actually plays hard.He has also looked very lazy at times, like the effort just wasnt there. If Bport had a good offensive team, Dibo would struggle to be in the line up let alone in Bport at all. I would basically write this season off as a transition year and hope that next year he comes into camp quicker and stronger and much more confident.

Figren is a very special case up until Janruary he was probably the worse hockey player I had seen maybe ever not including goons like Todd and Dean Ewen etc etc. etc.. He was 100% clueless of what to do in all 3 zones. He couldn`t pass, shoot or do pretty much anything. He was always out of position. He always did skate very well no one can argue that but what good is skating if you can`t do anything else. Over the last few weeks Figren has gotten much better, but i guess the question is how much better has he gotten. He skates very hard and has started playing the body a little. His passing is still very mediocre but his shot when he gets it off is good. Nothing he has done has translated in points nor does much deserve to translate into points or more ice time. He could also use time in Utah just to try and regain his scoring touch. I do have to say he is playing very hard lately.
If I had to make a guess right now, on if either Dibo or Figren will ever sniff the NHL my answer is 100% NO. I hope these kids turn things around and have long careers.
I agree wholeheartedly with both of these analysis. Dibo is what Jon Sim is for the islanders. A guy that crashes into the net, throws a glove in an opponents face and gets thrown to the ice. Figren on the other hand looks as if he isnt an NHL player. Yeah he plays hard but looks as if he's lost out there. Pascal Morency looks like a better player than Figren right now.

Isles Enforcer is offline  
Old
02-02-2010, 09:50 PM
  #883
islandermike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Patchogue, LI
Country: United States
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with both of these analysis. Dibo is what Jon Sim is for the islanders. A guy that crashes into the net, throws a glove in an opponents face and gets thrown to the ice. Figren on the other hand looks as if he isnt an NHL player. Yeah he plays hard but looks as if he's lost out there. Pascal Morency looks like a better player than Figren right now.
Later round picks, you hit some and miss some and looks as of now we missed on both of them. We do have guys like Macdonald though who are on the other end of the spectrum.

islandermike is offline  
Old
02-03-2010, 08:21 AM
  #884
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermike View Post
Later round picks, you hit some and miss some and looks as of now we missed on both of them. We do have guys like Macdonald though who are on the other end of the spectrum.
It's actually interesting to see how many Dmen we've had come from the 5th round or later and actually become some degree of NHL-capable.

Campoli, Gervais, MacDonald.... maybe Katic and Kessel in a few years time.

This certainly can't be said of our forwards.

Although we shouldn't write off Dibi and Figren, or even Marcinko and Romano for that matter, it is alarming how effective these guys were in juniors and yet they've just not been able to translate that into even a modicum of AHL success.

Between the four of them and Martin, we've got 5 kids we either drafted or, in Romano's case, traded for before turning pro, who all had good offensive numbers in juniors and have now done very, very little in 2 or less years of pro hockey.

Coming into this season, I'm sure management thought at least ONE of these guys was gonna be a good 40+ point player for Bridgeport. I personally thought we'd get 35 from Dibi and 20+ from each of Martin, Marcinko and Figren. At the moment, the five players mentioned have actually combined for a total of 38 points (without looking it up) on the season in a year where the team is desperate for offense.

Martin leads the group with 8-8-16.

This has to be seen as a disappointing trend, especially when one looks around the AHL and sees a lot of their junior peers - in comparison to whom they often had better numbers - able to have more success throughout the league.

Bummer.... but maybe this is just the roughest point in their development and several, if not all, will somehow see their fortunes take a turn for the better.

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
02-03-2010, 11:23 AM
  #885
redbull
respect, earned.
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
It's actually interesting to see how many Dmen we've had come from the 5th round or later and actually become some degree of NHL-capable.

Campoli, Gervais, MacDonald.... maybe Katic and Kessel in a few years time.

This certainly can't be said of our forwards.
I wonder if this is common throughout the NHL?

Generally, defensemen take longer to develop and the best defensemen have very unnoticeable skills. Offenseive players (forwards and defensemen) often have blazing speed, stick skills and the stats to go along - they are easy to identify, especially at the elite level and in the first couple of rounds.

A player like MacDonald though wouldn't really stand out in junior or college. A player who makes smart decisions, moves the puck well, plays well positionally, etc, simply doesn't stand out. Mind you, none of the examples are anything more than journeymen defensemen at best - you won't find an impact defenseman that late in the draft (I'm sure there are some rare examples however)

You have to really watch a player over a period of time, really talk to coaches and identify those potential gems. Ted Nolan was the reason the Isles drafted MacDonald and it's mainly because he coached him. That "inside info" from a reputable hockey person has paid off.

On another note, Detroit aside, it's rare you'll find any impact player in the 6th round and later, at forward or defense. If that happens, consider it a lottery and enjoy it (twice in Detroit's case)

redbull is offline  
Old
02-03-2010, 01:18 PM
  #886
NYI78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Milford CT
Country: United States
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermike View Post
Later round picks, you hit some and miss some and looks as of now we missed on both of them. We do have guys like Macdonald though who are on the other end of the spectrum.
guys..these kids are 21 years old...lets not write them off yet...

NYI78 is offline  
Old
02-03-2010, 07:12 PM
  #887
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I wonder if this is common throughout the NHL?

Generally, defensemen take longer to develop and the best defensemen have very unnoticeable skills. Offenseive players (forwards and defensemen) often have blazing speed, stick skills and the stats to go along - they are easy to identify, especially at the elite level and in the first couple of rounds.
That's as good a reason as I can think of.

Probably the most logical explanation.

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
02-03-2010, 10:54 PM
  #888
Frankie41987
Registered User
 
Frankie41987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kings Park
Country: Tibet
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Anders Lee with a 3 point night tonight. 2 goals and 1 assist along with a +4. He's now second in the league in goals and leads the league in +/-

Frankie41987 is offline  
Old
02-04-2010, 05:30 AM
  #889
mabisles
Registered User
 
mabisles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
take a peek folks at what he is doing as a rookie in the USHL. Equivalent to the Canadian major Juniors but USA's version.
Skill wise USHL is < than Canadian major juniors but rather equivalent to canadian Junior-A leagues. That said, Lee seems to be an interesting prospect nonetheless.

mabisles is offline  
Old
02-04-2010, 06:27 AM
  #890
tool123
Registered User
 
tool123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wellington, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belzislanders View Post
Skill wise USHL is < than Canadian major juniors but rather equivalent to canadian Junior-A leagues. That said, Lee seems to be an interesting prospect nonetheless.
I rather wait till next year when he is with Notre Dame to really see what he can do.

tool123 is offline  
Old
02-04-2010, 07:42 AM
  #891
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool123 View Post
I rather wait till next year when he is with Notre Dame to really see what he can do.
Exactly. His NCAA development will be much more telling.

Hopefully it takes the course vastly different from Ness and Trivino's, at least with respect to results.

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
02-04-2010, 07:16 PM
  #892
BennyBST
Registered User
 
BennyBST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfield CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Exactly. His NCAA development will be much more telling.

Hopefully it takes the course vastly different from Ness and Trivino's, at least with respect to results.
We have a pretty good track record with prospects who play in the USHL. Donovan Kessel and Gregoire played there and they all have been solid in the NCAA. Trivino and Ness haven't put up the numbers we expected them to put up and they didn't play in the USHL.

BennyBST is offline  
Old
02-04-2010, 07:42 PM
  #893
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
We have a pretty good track record with prospects who play in the USHL. Donovan Kessel and Gregoire played there and they all have been solid in the NCAA. Trivino and Ness haven't put up the numbers we expected them to put up and they didn't play in the USHL.
Kyle Okposo was MVP of the USHL playoffs if I remember correctly.

KH1 is offline  
Old
02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
  #894
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,802
vCash: 500
quick question, next year in bridgeport does anyone here think that they are going to go with a tandem of Koskinen and Poulin? I know it's not ideal to have to rookie goalies on a team but I feel these two guys should get a good amount of time down there to see what they have at the pro level.

Also anyone here anything about Anders Nilsson lately? How he's playing?

Brunomics is online now  
Old
02-05-2010, 09:28 AM
  #895
NYI78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Milford CT
Country: United States
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
quick question, next year in bridgeport does anyone here think that they are going to go with a tandem of Koskinen and Poulin? I know it's not ideal to have to rookie goalies on a team but I feel these two guys should get a good amount of time down there to see what they have at the pro level.

Also anyone here anything about Anders Nilsson lately? How he's playing?
i was thinking about that...i bet they keep lawson and go with him and miiko and let poulin spend a year in utah

NYI78 is offline  
Old
02-05-2010, 09:42 AM
  #896
Sneekypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Branford,Ct
Country: United States
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
quick question, next year in bridgeport does anyone here think that they are going to go with a tandem of Koskinen and Poulin? I know it's not ideal to have to rookie goalies on a team but I feel these two guys should get a good amount of time down there to see what they have at the pro level.

Also anyone here anything about Anders Nilsson lately? How he's playing?
I can also see Poulin spending a year in Utah much like the view of NYI78.
The only difference is I see the Isles going with a guy like Munroe and Koskinen. This is nothing against Lawson I just think after what happened with Danis and Mcdonald they will want a Leightonesque quadruple AAAA goalie in the wings just incase Rick "Fragile must be italian" Dipietro gets hurt

Sneekypete is offline  
Old
02-07-2010, 12:16 PM
  #897
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,333
vCash: 500
BPort with a big, important 6-4 win last night.

They were actually down 4-3 and won on the strength of 3 third period goals. Good sign!

Biron however allowed the 4 goals against and has a 3.45 GAA if my math is correct.

Witt had an assist. Joensuu with 1-2-3. Martin and Smith each with 1-1-2. Figren scored on a nice one-timer.

Looked like it was the most fun game for those in attendance in a LONG time.

Still, this team is not necessarily on playoff course. Will be fun to see if that changes.

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
02-07-2010, 12:25 PM
  #898
Sneekypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Branford,Ct
Country: United States
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
BPort with a big, important 6-4 win last night.

They were actually down 4-3 and won on the strength of 3 third period goals. Good sign!

Biron however allowed the 4 goals against and has a 3.45 GAA if my math is correct.

Witt had an assist. Joensuu with 1-2-3. Martin and Smith each with 1-1-2. Figren scored on a nice one-timer.

Looked like it was the most fun game for those in attendance in a LONG time.

Still, this team is not necessarily on playoff course. Will be fun to see if that changes.
Bridgeport has 20 division games left not to mention out of division 6 versus the baby rags and 5 vs Manchester. If Bport is to make the playoffs they are going to have a very tough road. They looked pretty good last night and played spirited hockey all around. They did make some boneheaded plays but regulation points are very important to this team especially down the stretch

Sneekypete is offline  
Old
02-09-2010, 10:02 AM
  #899
du78
Registered User
 
du78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Matt Donovan profiled in today's Denver Post.

http:http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14361972//

du78 is offline  
Old
02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
  #900
DPSNAGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
katic having season ending surgery per botta

DPSNAGS is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.