HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders Prospects: 09-10 Edition Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2009, 10:20 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
I can't give you any example of this having been done successfully at the NHL level.

Sure, Dmen have sometimes become 4th liners in times of need (see Bryan Berard), but a smaller Dman with great offensive skills being transformed into a potent forward.... theoretically one would have to view it as possible. Just haven't seen it.
i havent seen it much except with streit in montreal, but it isnt a norm for sure. i wanted the isles to put the skating cone with a cannon of a shot (MAB for short) on the half-boards on the PP and have him a little closer, therefore having the net be a bit larger of a target than from 70 feet, bc that was too easy for him to miss. i thought hed be a better winger than dman the first day i saw him after the trade, but oh well. he looks like he somewhat learned a little defense in minny. as for current islanders, I wouldnt be opposed to trying ness out at forward. the kid has incredible wheels and vision and being smaller isnt as much a detriment as it is on defense, but lets see what he can do on the back-end first.

Old
07-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
I really like the make-up of the defense, Westgarth is tougher than anyone we had on D last yr and Flood will be an upgrade over Lee.
Flood is interesting. In and of themselves, Callahan and Lee were good men for this BPort team and certainly contributed to the regular season success. In addition, Callahan proved a decent filler in the NHL in a limited role. I was impressed with how he knew his limits and stayed within them.

Quote:
I'm interested to watch Katic and see how he can contribute on the power-play unit. Throw Hillen into the mix and we might have one of the most mobile defensive corps in the AHL.
Yep, Katic's transition is really gonna be one to watch. I'm really hoping he has a year much like Gervais' rookie AHL season, if not Campoli's. If he comes in and proves to be Kohn Part II, well, that won't be a bad thing for an initial season, but let's just say I've got greater hope about his upside.

I have a strange suspicion that Hillen is gonna be in BPort more than in the NHL. Sure, the Isles have a blueline full of injury-prone players, but I see the team adding another blueliner and unless Sutton/Witt are traded, I can't see Hillen spending much time on the Island before Christmas.

Quote:
Offense is a concern of mine. The only likely proven offensive guys are Mauldin, Joensuu, and Smith. Big Problem. They need at least 20 goals this season from Bentivoglio and Figren or Dibo.
I see the O looking real thin right now too. The first three appear to be the only proven scorers, but Reich could also pop in 20. I'm also not sure Smith can repeat unless he somehow finds the type of chemistry he had with Mclean and Iggulden. Mauldin might surprise.

As for Figren, Dibo and Benti, I have to be honest that I don't expect more than 30-35 points from any of them. Particularly Figren will probably have a hard time of things, if last season's last 35 games in the SEL were a sign of anything to come.

Dibenedetto is a real wildcard. I really, really, really hope this kid just has a nose for scoring, whether it's the goals themselves or how to feed his partners. I'm not expecting big things from him right away. In fact, a 10-20-30 season would be about what one could expect of this OHL scorer, passed over in several drafts. Still, like yourself, I think he'll be in a scoring role by default and heck, a 20-30-50 year would be a real nice showing.

Quote:
I'm also counting on Hennigar to produce 50 to 60 points and I'm sure the sound tigers are as well.
Wow! That'd be quite a bit. His scoring in the ECHL was off the charts, so maybe he's ready to make that impact. He was better in the AHL at the end of last season.

Quote:
Goaltending is our biggest strength. Munroe and Lawson will be a solid tandem. I'd love to see Koskinen next season in BPT, but it won't make me upset if he returns to Finland next season to get a ton of playing time. I really see this team grinding out a lot of 3-2 shootout decisions next season.
Me thinks Lawson is in the ECHL if Dipietro is healthy enough to at least back Roloson up. If Koskinen has the ability folks are talking about, then he could be real good. Munroe is no doubt a very solid AHL netminder. Definitely the strong suit of this team.

If Koskinen is ready to be here, I can't see the Isles having him stay in Finland in order to make room for a guy like Lawson in BPort. They'll want Sudsie and Dunham working with this kid directly.

Interesting make-up thus far, even if it doesn't look like there'll be all that many offensive fireworks this next season.

Old
07-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
i havent seen it much except with streit in montreal, but it isnt a norm for sure. i wanted the isles to put the skating cone with a cannon of a shot (MAB for short) on the half-boards on the PP and have him a little closer, therefore having the net be a bit larger of a target than from 70 feet, bc that was too easy for him to miss. i thought hed be a better winger than dman the first day i saw him after the trade, but oh well. he looks like he somewhat learned a little defense in minny. as for current islanders, I wouldnt be opposed to trying ness out at forward. the kid has incredible wheels and vision and being smaller isnt as much a detriment as it is on defense, but lets see what he can do on the back-end first.
Yep, we're definitely gonna have to see about Ness and how he develops, especially by the end of his junior year.

As for the bolded part, I was friggin' SHOCKED at the season MAB had in Minny. He not only contributed 14 goals, but had a plus rating in the process. What the heck did Lemaire do with him???

Old
07-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Bports Defense ,toughness and goaltending is great but there offense is lacking. At this point they will need to be winning games 2-1 on a regualr basis because they will have only 1 solid scoring line. Unless Hennigar,Bentivoglio ,Figen and Dibo make a huge offensive impact it can be a long season. This team needs to add at least 1 AHL scoring vet.
I'm gonna make a bold predication about the four you mention right now.
Henningar: 14-32-46
Bentivoglio: 13-22-35
Figren: 10-12-22
Dibo: 19-27-46

A bit silly now, but that's my early summer predic.

Might change by the fall.

Old
07-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Brodeur

Apologies if it was discussed elsewhere, but is Matt Martin expected to do an overage year in the OHL or play in the AHL this year? Thanks in advance!

Old
07-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Apologies if it was discussed elsewhere, but is Matt Martin expected to do an overage year in the OHL or play in the AHL this year? Thanks in advance!
Good question. We're not sure about this ourselves. He is NOT currently signed by the Islanders. They do not need to sign him until next summer and at the moment, it looks like they're gonna make use of that option by letting him stay in juniors as an overager.

Many Islander fans had hoped he'd be signed and playing within the system this winter.

Old
07-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

The BPort Scorers have arrived

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/

So, Moore and particularly Moulson should certainyl shore things up on the farm.

They're not Krog and Haydar, but I'm no longer all that worried about who is gonna be scoring.

I can imagine that they, Mauldin, Smith, Reich and Joensuu will likely build the first two lines. A third line of Figren, Henningar and Dibo wouldn't look too out of place. Marcinko centering Haley and Morency just might do for line four.

Two more solid signings. Heck, I'd even say Moulson might have a shot on the Island.

Old
07-07-2009, 09:06 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
http://www.islanderspointblank.com/

So, Moore and particularly Moulson should certainyl shore things up on the farm.

They're not Krog and Haydar, but I'm no longer all that worried about who is gonna be scoring.

I can imagine that they, Mauldin, Smith, Reich and Joensuu will likely build the first two lines. A third line of Figren, Henningar and Dibo wouldn't look too out of place. Marcinko centering Haley and Morency just might do for line four.

Two more solid signings. Heck, I'd even say Moulson might have a shot on the Island.
is matt martin going back to junior? I seem to recall that being the case but I don't recall any announcement.

I like the idea of having AHL vets to lead the way and force the younger players to win jobs, rather than them being given the job.

I'd like the same for the NHL team for that matter.

I'd like Tambi to outplay a guy like Tanguay rather than not signing the guy at all in order to give a 25 yr old the "chance"

I don't mean to pick on Tambellini or even compare to Tanguay - simply examples to illustrate the need for better players at all levels and ensuring jobs are WON as opposed to THEIRS TO LOSE. Big difference.

Old
07-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
It happens often in numerous career minor leaguers.
The only blueliner currently in the NHL misused at wing on a team 2 years ago was M.Striet.That had nothing to do with height.

I can't think of any successful players make the NHL switch offhand but I can tell you Sami Kapenen played D for the Flyers on many occasions and he played it very well when he needed to fill in.
Wendel Clark was drafted out of juniors as a dman, and then played wing in the NHL.

Mark Howe played both forward and defense in his career (and did both at a high level).

Former Isles captain Ed Westfal was drafted as a dman.

Scotty Bowman used to have the annoying habit of ruining player's careers by playing them at both positions so they didn't know which way they were coming - e.g., Lindy Ruff.

The most famous example of all is Red Kelly.

07-07-2009, 10:34 PM
du78

Rumor over on eliteprospects.com that Lawson may be headed to HK Atlant of the KHL in Russia.

Old
07-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
is matt martin going back to junior? I seem to recall that being the case but I don't recall any announcement.
Hey there RB,

Someone else had asked about Martin and I commented on it in post 131 just above. Officially, he has not yet signed any contract with this organization. Interesting in light of Katic and Dibenedetto having been signed. I believe the team will use the luxury of having another year's time to decide on him, but we'd have to believe that they fully intend to sign him next summer. Maybe it has to do with the "50 contract limit" thingy?

Quote:
I like the idea of having AHL vets to lead the way and force the younger players to win jobs, rather than them being given the job.

I'd like the same for the NHL team for that matter.
Definitely, and after 7 AHL signings with no less than 3 of the guys looking like ample call-up fill-ins (Munroe, Moulson, Reich) within a week, I think the team has done just that. Katic, for example, will not just be handed a job. He's got six guys ahead of him and maybe Hillen on the farm too. This is a good thing. I'd have no problem seeing him playing big minutes in the ECHL to start things off. I think he's a better NHL prospect than any other guy we've got down on the farm, Hillen included.

Quote:
I'd like Tambi to outplay a guy like Tanguay rather than not signing the guy at all in order to give a 25 yr old the "chance"

I don't mean to pick on Tambellini or even compare to Tanguay - simply examples to illustrate the need for better players at all levels and ensuring jobs are WON as opposed to THEIRS TO LOSE. Big difference.
The difference I see is that there's most likely the obvious cost factor involved. The 7 guys signed to the AHL will cost this organization what, maybe $600'000 to start off with? Surely more if any of them are called up, but still minimal in the grand scheme of things.

I'm still holding out hope that a guy like Tanguay could be signed here, fully feeling that a one-two year contract here could be in his best interests. I have no problem with it "costing" our younger guys ice time.

Still, Garth will surely, surely ask himself (and Wang) whether it's necessary to give a Tanguay 4.5-5 million per (which would likely be necessary) when the team could just add a couple of 750'000 K players who could also provide internal competition, but not clearly demand a job like Tanguay would.

In addition, this team is gonna want to find out a bit more about guys like Rechlicz, Smith, Joensuu and maybe even Henningar, Figren and MacDonald, so I don't see this team in a rush to thicken the soup.

Also, with Rechlicz and Jackman around, and the fact that Witt and Sutton can at least be willing sparring partners, I'm not so sure that this team is gonna go out and get another fisticuffs player.

I think there are still a number of names out there on the UFA market who could make this team better and perhaps be perfect examples of the "take a chance on the cheap and reap the benefits" kind of player.

Goc and Foster really come to mind.

As for BPort, I now really like what they've done. Particularly Moulson, Mauldin and Munroe make this team a highly competitive AHL club with a great AHL coach and the proper atmosphere for the younger guys to slowly, but surely, be worked in.

Fact is, we fans have some high hopes for no less than Figren, Joensuu, Katic and Dibenedetto.

Thumbs up!

Old
07-15-2009, 11:15 AM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Figure i'll ask some of the NYI experts, what's your long-term thoughts on Rob Hennigar? So far he's torn up the CIS and ECHL (led Utah in scoring despite playing 38gms!) But does he have an NHL skillset as a 'late-bloomer' (although still only 26)? or is he more of a career AHLer/tweener?

He looked like he might have it back with UNB, and his ECHL numbers are staggering (although sadly i didn't catch any Griz games he was in), but i'm on the fence as to his potential

Old
07-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
Figure i'll ask some of the NYI experts, what's your long-term thoughts on Rob Hennigar? So far he's torn up the CIS and ECHL (led Utah in scoring despite playing 38gms!) But does he have an NHL skillset as a 'late-bloomer' (although still only 26)? or is he more of a career AHLer/tweener?

He looked like he might have it back with UNB, and his ECHL numbers are staggering (although sadly i didn't catch any Griz games he was in), but i'm on the fence as to his potential
We have no answers for you.

He has much to prove this season. It'll be a big year for him, but let's just say that he's not exactly being mentioned in our many threads about prospects.

Still, BPort could really, really use a guy like him putting up 50 points.

Old
07-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:

He was not good in Bport last year.There was a span of about 10 games theat he was solid. This will be a make or break year for him. He really needs to step up and be the playmaker that they signed.
As of right now I would not even call him a tweener.
I really hope he proves me wrong this year.

Old
07-15-2009, 01:26 PM
BennyBST

Quote:

His biggest knocks are his skating and lack of physicality. I'm hoping he can produce 40+ pts in the AHL this season and is a step quicker.

Old
07-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
I still cant believe they haven't signed Haskins.

Old
07-15-2009, 01:28 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
I still cant believe they haven't signed Haskins.
A little while ago on mike fornabaio's blog he mentioned that him and the Islanders were in contract talks. if i can find the link i'll post it.

I figured if Haley was signed then Haskins wouldve been a lock. We'll wait and see.

Old
07-15-2009, 04:24 PM
BIG BLUE

sorry if this has been discussed here, as it's my first look at the Isles forums...

a thread got closed down, so I couldn't respond to Darth Milbury's last post...

Quote:
Actually, MacKenzie at TSN did a survey of scouts at draft time last year and asked where Tavares would have landed if he could opt into the draft. The consensus of scouts was that he would have gone number 3, behind Stamkos aand Doughty.

So, it appears my "insanity" is shared my NHL scouts.
I was going to say, the operative phrase was "at draft time last year"....there were questions about Tavares going into the WJC, and he exploded there, so I think you might get a different result if scouts had that question again NOW.

but to Isles fans...I'm curious, do you agree with Darth M. when he'd trade Tavares straight up for Doughty and he'd drive JT to the airport?

just curious if this sentiment is common here because I'd rather have JT myself.

peace.

Old
07-15-2009, 05:13 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
sorry if this has been discussed here, as it's my first look at the Isles forums...

a thread got closed down, so I couldn't respond to Darth Milbury's last post...

I was going to say, the operative phrase was "at draft time last year"....there were questions about Tavares going into the WJC, and he exploded there, so I think you might get a different result if scouts had that question again NOW.

but to Isles fans...I'm curious, do you agree with Darth M. when he'd trade Tavares straight up for Doughty and he'd drive JT to the airport?

just curious if this sentiment is common here because I'd rather have JT myself.

peace.
I don't think i'd deal JT for Doughty, if only for the fact that maybe DD is a little better prospect, but Tavares is more of a "marketable attraction", and NYI could really use that off-ice boost right now (call it the 'Sydney Crosby effect')

Plus, if NYI wanted a franchise D over a JT, they would have just taken Hedman. For those two reasons I wouldn't trade for Doughty, and i doubt the Isles would.

Old
07-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Forty Six and Two

Quote:

I'm hoping Hennigar will have similar results to Trevor Smith. Smith also struggled in his first year in the AHL, then got sent down to the ECHL where he really took off. Then Smith had a great season in the AHL this past year and even got into a few NHL games.

Hennigar is a little older than Smith so his clock is definitly ticking. This will be the year to see if he has a chance or not.

Old
07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Six and Two View Post
I'm hoping Hennigar will have similar results to Trevor Smith. Smith also struggled in his first year in the AHL, then got sent down to the ECHL where he really took off. Then Smith had a great season in the AHL this past year and even got into a few NHL games.

Hennigar is a little older than Smith so his clock is definitly ticking. This will be the year to see if he has a chance or not.
I'm hoping he has the kind of season that Pittsburgh prospect Mark Letestu had this past season with Wilkes-Barre. Letestu was a guy who struggled in his first full pro season, but was put on a line where he developed good chemistry with his linemates and recorded 61 pts. I really want a breakout season from Hennigar, I want him to be able to handle the 2nd line center role. In the playoffs it looked like he had some pretty good chemistry with Trevor Smith.

My Bridgeport Lineup Projections
I have a gut feeling that either Moulson or Joensuu makes the club out of camp and Reich will be the enforcer.

Moore-Mauldin-Moulson/Joensuu
Smith-Hennigar-Dibo
Figren-Haley-Bentivoglio
Morency-Marcinko-Rechlicz

MacDonald-Kohn
Flood-Westgarth
Wotton-Katic
Gleed

Munroe
Koskinen/Lawson

Old
07-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Six and Two View Post

Well, let's not forget that Smith got sent down early in his first season, then came back and still posted 20-17-37 in his first pro year.

Henningar spent time in BPort, then got sent down, then came up again just in time for the playoffs. He ultimately had 3-10-13.

A bit different, at least in the result.

Still, here's hoping Henningar breaks out much like the Letestu player Benny refers to. That'd be great!

Old
07-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I have a gut feeling that either Moulson or Joensuu makes the club out of camp and Reich will be the enforcer.

Smith-Hennigar-Dibo
Figren-Haley-Bentivoglio

MacDonald-Kohn
Flood-Westgarth
Wotton-Katic
Gleed

Munroe
Koskinen/Lawson
Very possible.

I do see Reich and Joensuu starting on the farm. Rechlicz will likely hang on the Island, even if he's not in the line-up.

I see the D as do you, but I'd wager that the 4 AHLers with the most proven scoring talents (Moulson, Moore, Mauldin, Reich) will be paired with Smith and Joensuu.

Figren, Henningar and Dibenedetto could well build up line 3.

Looking forward to it.

Old
07-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
I'm hoping he has the kind of season that Pittsburgh prospect Mark Letestu had this past season with Wilkes-Barre. Letestu was a guy who struggled in his first full pro season, but was put on a line where he developed good chemistry with his linemates and recorded 61 pts. I really want a breakout season from Hennigar, I want him to be able to handle the 2nd line center role. In the playoffs it looked like he had some pretty good chemistry with Trevor Smith.

Smith-Hennigar-Dibo
Figren-Haley-Bentivoglio

MacDonald-Kohn
Flood-Westgarth
Wotton-Katic
Gleed

Munroe
Koskinen/Lawson

Interesting combos there. With that, I see no room for Haskins. And to put Marcinko down on the fourth line for another year is just stunting his development. I can't see him getting any better by wasting away on the fourth line again. I also don't see Morency being a regular player [especially on the road] I think Rechlicz will stay on the Island though.

This team [even with Wrecker] is a bit weak in the toughness dept. Especially since teams like Hartford and Syracuse are stacked with toughness. Does Haley have to beat on Hartford all by himself this year?

Old
07-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Isles Enforcer

Looking that list over again, you left out Jason Dale and Tony Romano, so again BPT will be overstaffed with players. Looks like some will be shipped to Utah, while others will be in the pressbox.

Closed Thread