HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders Prospects: 09-10 Edition Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
BennyBST

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Looking that list over again, you left out Jason Dale and Tony Romano, so again BPT will be overstaffed with players. Looks like some will be shipped to Utah, while others will be in the pressbox.
Has Romano been signed to an AHL contract yet? I haven't heard anything official from Mike Fornabaio yet. I think Romano and Dale will find themselves in Utah, unless if they really open some eyes in BST camp.

Old
07-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
Has Romano been signed to an AHL contract yet? I haven't heard anything official from Mike Fornabaio yet. I think Romano and Dale will find themselves in Utah, unless if they really open some eyes in BST camp.
Romano was traded for Ben Walter, thus making him Islanders property. Not sure if he's signed by either the big club, or the ST's.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Enforcer_PL

From Botta, Travis Hamonic is now 6'2 210lbs. He was 6'0 195 when he was drafted and he was compared to Luke Schenn only size was different. I hope he'll be in Bridgeport next year.

Old
07-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer_PL View Post
From Botta, Travis Hamonic is now 6'2 210lbs. He was 6'0 195 when he was drafted and he was compared to Luke Schenn only size was different. I hope he'll be in Bridgeport next year.
God damn, he is one of the guys I am very excited about. Big, mobile, and tough as nails. Anyone remember that story where he blocked a shot that shattered his jaw and played the rest of the game? He ended up needing months for that to heal.

I know Cairnsy loves him, and the guys on ************* who saw him at camp said he looked like pissed of son of a *****. If there was physical play as one guy put it he was going to take someone's head off.

Old
07-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Forty Six and Two

A window into the Islanders' future

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho...anders_fu.html

Old
07-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Woefully ,he won't be in Bport due to age restrictions..........

Old
07-21-2009, 11:18 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Shea Weber anyone? I see more similarities to him than Schenn, if it's a mix of the 2 than we got ourselves a great prospect and the scouting staff can pat themselves on the back for this "off of the board" selection.

I'd love to see Hamonic make the Canadian WJC roster which would be a real honor for him and us to have him represent the organization.

Old
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
nyhockey

Romano Signed 3 Year Entry Level Contract Before Mini Camp

Quote:
Per the Peterborough Examiner, Romano Signed a NHL 3 Year Contract prior to the start of the Islanders mini Camp, I would say that means he will be with the Sound Tigers or who knows the Isles. He looked better in camp then most of the prospects IMO...
Refer to this Link: http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...t.aspx?e=13366

Old
07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhockey View Post
Per the Peterborough Examiner, Romano Signed a NHL 3 Year Contract prior to the start of the Islanders mini Camp, I would say that means he will be with the Sound Tigers or who knows the Isles. He looked better in camp then most of the prospects IMO...
Refer to this Link: http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...t.aspx?e=13366
I think Romano may have a tough enough time making Bport let alone the Isles. It would not surprise me to see him start his pro career in Utah.

Old
07-28-2009, 08:30 AM
nyhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
I think Romano may have a tough enough time making Bport let alone the Isles. It would not surprise me to see him start his pro career in Utah.
I think you are mistaken about the Utah and I will explain why...NHL contracts are very hard to get in these tough times. Why sign a guy who can not even make the B-port, it makes no sense. There are only 50 contract allowed per club. ECHL contract has nothing to do with the 50 NHL contract limit per team. Even if he received the league minimum $475k plus signing bonus and an AHL salary why pay a guy this much and they think he has not a chance to start in the 'A'. In the Coast you get less then $700 per week and 99% of the players who sign a minor league deals get a 2-way minor league contract and usually never make it out of the minor league systems. Plus when does a team trade an established player as in Walter(who was buried in our system) and a future draft pick for a 'Prospect.' I have seen him play a few times in Jr on LI and the OHL. There are some videos of him on 'youtube,' watch them you will be pleasantly surprised. He is going to be a nice surprise to people who do not know him, and the people who know this player will say typical Romano, always ends up one of the top players. Look at his track record 3 US National Teams, had pretty bad surgery on his shoulder per Jared Ramsen of HF and thats why his numbers in Londons were down. Then he had a great year in Peterborough. I would like to see everyone succeed in life and I think he is going to be a bright star for the Islanders in the future. I maybe wrong but I do not think so, not this time...

Old
07-28-2009, 10:21 AM
BennyBST

I don't know if it was worth giving Romano an entry level deal. He put up good, not stellar numbers in the OHL last yr as an OA. I think an AHL deal would've been more appropriate. For me I'd rather sign Haskins to a 2 yr entry level deal that Haley got because he earned it. Romano hasn't done anything yet.

I find it kind of odd he has been signed to an ELC when I haven't seen anything official yet from Botta, Fornabaio or the Islanders as far as a press release.

Old
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhockey View Post
I think you are mistaken about the Utah and I will explain why...NHL contracts are very hard to get in these tough times. Why sign a guy who can not even make the B-port, it makes no sense. There are only 50 contract allowed per club. ECHL contract has nothing to do with the 50 NHL contract limit per team. Even if he received the league minimum $475k plus signing bonus and an AHL salary why pay a guy this much and they think he has not a chance to start in the 'A'. In the Coast you get less then $700 per week and 99% of the players who sign a minor league deals get a 2-way minor league contract and usually never make it out of the minor league systems. Plus when does a team trade an established player as in Walter(who was buried in our system) and a future draft pick for a 'Prospect.' I have seen him play a few times in Jr on LI and the OHL. There are some videos of him on 'youtube,' watch them you will be pleasantly surprised. He is going to be a nice surprise to people who do not know him, and the people who know this player will say typical Romano, always ends up one of the top players. Look at his track record 3 US National Teams, had pretty bad surgery on his shoulder per Jared Ramsen of HF and thats why his numbers in Londons were down. Then he had a great year in Peterborough. I would like to see everyone succeed in life and I think he is going to be a bright star for the Islanders in the future. I maybe wrong but I do not think so, not this time...
While I understand what you are saying. There are many players in the Islanders system or have been in the system that have spent time in the ECHL. To name a couple Trevor Smith, Rob Hennigar, Michael Haley,Nathan Lawson,Mannino,Rechlicz.
Mannino,Rechlicz,Smith,Hennigar were all signed to ELC prior to seeing time in the ECHL.
Haley and Lawson were given deals becasue of the way they played in the ECHL.
I only went back 2 years.
Romano had a breakout season last year in the OHL on a crappy team.
Also have you seen all the forwards under contract for next year that will probably be in Bport.
Sound Tigers
LW–Sean Bentivoglio, Justin DiBenedetto, Jesse Joensuu, Matt Moulson, Trevor Smith
C–Micheal Haley, Rob Hennigar, Tomas Marcinko, Greg Mauldin
RW–Jason Dale, Robin Figren, Greg Moore, Pascal Morency, Joel Rechlicz, Jeremy Reich
Also possibly Sim and N.Thompson

I for 1 hope you are right and the kid is a breakout studd but he also could have been the product of seeing more minutes on a bad team. My point is I would expect this kid at best to get 3rd or 4th line minutes if he makes Bport or top line minutes in Utah.

Old
07-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Pete you missed Andrew MacDonald as being sent to Utah as well.

Old
07-28-2009, 08:07 PM
colman

Quote:
I don't know if it was worth giving Romano an entry level deal. He put up good, not stellar numbers in the OHL last yr as an OA. I think an AHL deal would've been more appropriate. For me I'd rather sign Haskins to a 2 yr entry level deal that Haley got because he earned it. Romano hasn't done anything yet.

I find it kind of odd he has been signed to an ELC when I haven't seen anything official yet from Botta, Fornabaio or the Islanders as far as a press release.
Another great move by management Devils wernt signing him they arent stupid . One average year as a OA Isles grab him GREAT MOVE we are rebuilding UTAH

Old
08-18-2009, 04:08 AM
Mikkel

David Ullström

Pre-season is well underway in Europe, with, among others, the 'Nordic Trophy Tournament' in action.

HV71 has won all of their three games so far, but probably of more interest to this board, David Ullström seems to be doing very well. He has 2g+1a in 3 games right now (including 1+1 yesterday against Frölunda), and judging by stat sheets HV71 is rolling a fixed - and succesfull - third line of Ullström, Teemu Laine and Per Ledin. Laine is a former #39 pick for the Devils, while undrafted Ledin actually played a few games for the (admittedly depleted) Avalanche this past season. Sounds like a good opportunity for Ullström to get more ice time and develop his game in the coming season.

Anyway, thought it might be of interest here.

Old
08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
jntn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel;20801401...judging by stat sheets HV71 is rolling a fixed - and succesfull - third line of Ullström, [URL="http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=50536"
Teemu Laine[/URL] and Per Ledin. Laine is a former #39 pick for the Devils, while undrafted Ledin actually played a few games for the (admittedly depleted) Avalanche this past season. Sounds like a good opportunity for Ullström to get more ice time and develop his game in the coming season.
He'll also be a teammate with Janne Niinemaa this season.

Good post though, and I really like that line with Ullström centering Laine and Ledin. It will be interesting to watch him play.

Old
08-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
Pre-season is well underway in Europe, with, among others, the 'Nordic Trophy Tournament' in action.

HV71 has won all of their three games so far, but probably of more interest to this board, David Ullström seems to be doing very well. He has 2g+1a in 3 games right now (including 1+1 yesterday against Frölunda), and judging by stat sheets HV71 is rolling a fixed - and succesfull - third line of Ullström, Teemu Laine and Per Ledin. Laine is a former #39 pick for the Devils, while undrafted Ledin actually played a few games for the (admittedly depleted) Avalanche this past season. Sounds like a good opportunity for Ullström to get more ice time and develop his game in the coming season.

Anyway, thought it might be of interest here.
Thanks for this tidbit. It would be nice if Ullström could continue to establish himself as a fixed part of a line of this nature, as both Leding and Laine are considered very decent SEL material.

His season last year was certainly a bright spot. He took a lot of steps in growth. Would be awesome if he puts in a nice 20 point season and a strong +/- in his checking role this year.

Old
08-19-2009, 08:45 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Thanks for this tidbit. It would be nice if Ullström could continue to establish himself as a fixed part of a line of this nature, as both Leding and Laine are considered very decent SEL material.

His season last year was certainly a bright spot. He took a lot of steps in growth. Would be awesome if he puts in a nice 20 point season and a strong +/- in his checking role this year.
To me Ullstrom is the most intriguing prospect to watch. He seems to have all of the tools to fit in with this franchise for years to come, the size, hands and speed to be a 3rd line shut-down guy. I hope he has an outstanding year with HV-71, and then will be in NA for next season.

Old
08-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Isles Enforcer

Quote:
To me Ullstrom is the most intriguing prospect to watch. He seems to have all of the tools to fit in with this franchise for years to come, the size, hands and speed to be a 3rd line shut-down guy. I hope he has an outstanding year with HV-71, and then will be in NA for next season.
Isles signed Nathan Lawson to a two way deal.

Bridgeport signed Tyler Haskins [thank god!] to an AHL deal

Bridgeport also signed Jan Piskacek from the Cape Brenton Screaming Eagles and invited Dustin Friesen from the Univeristy of New Brunswick to camp. He's signed with Utah.

All from Fornabaio

Old
08-21-2009, 10:31 AM
B Boarding

Quote:

I have seen Ullstrom play a lot. He is a much better fit on a scoring line and would be a perfect 2nd line center if he continues to polish on his weaknesses. His strenghts are awesome and are already almost of NHL-caliber.

Old
08-24-2009, 01:34 PM
The Exiled One

Jase Weslosky will be sitting out this season while attending a new school. He will likely be Bemidji State University's starting goaltender in 2010-2011.

Old
08-24-2009, 03:12 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
Jase Weslosky will be sitting out this season while attending a new school. He will likely be Bemidji State University's starting goaltender in 2010-2011.
WOW, must've been too stressed and thought about losing his starting job to Lee. I don't think Jase will ever be signed, he didn't attend the Kiddie camp. I wish things worked out for him because he had pretty solid numbers at SCSU.

Old
08-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:
WOW, must've been too stressed and thought about losing his starting job to Lee. I don't think Jase will ever be signed, he didn't attend the Kiddie camp. I wish things worked out for him because he had pretty solid numbers at SCSU.
He's academically ineligble for the fall semester.

Old
08-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Draftman

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Boarding View Post
I have seen Ullstrom play a lot. He is a much better fit on a scoring line and would be a perfect 2nd line center if he continues to polish on his weaknesses. His strenghts are awesome and are already almost of NHL-caliber.
Would you please discuss what you believe are his strengths and weaknesses.

Old
08-25-2009, 06:51 AM
B Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftman View Post
Would you please discuss what you believe are his strengths and weaknesses.

David is a big and strong guy. He can carry a defender on his back and at the same time deke past another defender and then score. Right now I think he is more skilled as an individual than a team player. I think this is due to him playing one year too much in juniors instead of going to senior level. But HV71 senior team was very deep and there were no place for him on the roster 2 years ago. In this "unnecessary" year in juniors he was too dominant for his own good. This made him trying to do it all by himself, because he knew he could do it. Now that he is playing senior hockey I think this selfishness will fade away pretty quickly since the swedish hockey is even more about team play and defensive awareness than the NHL. David is strong on his skates. Maybe average top speed but great acceleration for a big guy. He also has great balance and that combined with his strenght makes him hard to knock off the puck. He is also an excellent scorer with a quite good variety of shots, although I haven't seen him using his slapper that much. When he is close to the net he actually reminds me about Sundin quite a lot. His passing is average or slightly above average. He is good at drawing attention from the defenders and willing to take a hit to make a play. As a junior he took some shifts off and didn't put too much attention to back checking. But I think this is a lot due to the lack of motivation because he hade to play in the juniors. The upside with David is really good, at least an above average 2nd liner. But I think he needs two more years of practicing on his team play and defensive skills. If HV71 will give him a decent amount of ice time this year I think he could score about 25 points in 55 games. Next year I predict he'll have his breakthrough in the SEL and get some games with the national team. And in 2011/12 you will have a good 2nd line center or winger that will be good enough to step right into the lineup. Let's hope for this, beacause he is one of my favorite swedish prospects (together with Dick Axelsson, MPS, William Wallén, Adam Pettersson and Adam Larsson). And he is a joy to watch playing.

Closed Thread