HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders Prospects: 09-10 Edition Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Boarding View Post
David is a big and strong guy. He can carry a defender on his back and at the same time deke past another defender and then score. Right now I think he is more skilled as an individual than a team player. I think this is due to him playing one year too much in juniors instead of going to senior level. But HV71 senior team was very deep and there were no place for him on the roster 2 years ago. In this "unnecessary" year in juniors he was too dominant for his own good. This made him trying to do it all by himself, because he knew he could do it. Now that he is playing senior hockey I think this selfishness will fade away pretty quickly since the swedish hockey is even more about team play and defensive awareness than the NHL. David is strong on his skates. Maybe average top speed but great acceleration for a big guy. He also has great balance and that combined with his strenght makes him hard to knock off the puck. He is also an excellent scorer with a quite good variety of shots, although I haven't seen him using his slapper that much. When he is close to the net he actually reminds me about Sundin quite a lot. His passing is average or slightly above average. He is good at drawing attention from the defenders and willing to take a hit to make a play. As a junior he took some shifts off and didn't put too much attention to back checking. But I think this is a lot due to the lack of motivation because he hade to play in the juniors. The upside with David is really good, at least an above average 2nd liner. But I think he needs two more years of practicing on his team play and defensive skills. If HV71 will give him a decent amount of ice time this year I think he could score about 25 points in 55 games. Next year I predict he'll have his breakthrough in the SEL and get some games with the national team. And in 2011/12 you will have a good 2nd line center or winger that will be good enough to step right into the lineup. Let's hope for this, beacause he is one of my favorite swedish prospects (together with Dick Axelsson, MPS, William Walln, Adam Pettersson and Adam Larsson). And he is a joy to watch playing.
Tack s mycket fr den bra, bra beskrivningen!

This past season had me getting really excited about his possibilities. Going from juniors to playing for the almost-champion men's team, with a good showing at the WJC, was quite impressive for a kid who few in North America knew anything about.

He's actually still eligible for this year's WJC squad, ehh?

Old
08-26-2009, 10:47 AM
B Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Tack s mycket fr den bra, bra beskrivningen!

This past season had me getting really excited about his possibilities. Going from juniors to playing for the almost-champion men's team, with a good showing at the WJC, was quite impressive for a kid who few in North America knew anything about.

He's actually still eligible for this year's WJC squad, ehh?

No, he is born in 1989 and therefore he is one year too old for this years WJC.

Old
08-28-2009, 02:24 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Newsday blog article makes it sound like the Isles may just drop Weslosky all together after this.

Old
08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Newsday blog article makes it sound like the Isles may just drop Weslosky all together after this.
Yep, sure sounded that way.

Then again, through this stunt, they hold his rights for another two years.

Who knows, maybe he has a MONSTER season his "senior" year and forces his way into a contract.

Not likely, but a possibility.

Old
08-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Theres a rumor going around in the Sarnia Sting Thread that Matt Martin will not be back with the team. Rumor or just speculation? We shall see.

Old
08-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Mavericknyc1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Theres a rumor going around in the Sarnia Sting Thread that Matt Martin will not be back with the team. Rumor or just speculation? We shall see.

Would that mean he signed a deal?????

Old
08-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
It's possible we will know Martin's future by Monday.

Old
08-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Isles Enforcer

Rob Hennigar was traded to Carolina for Bobby Hughes as per Botta

Old
08-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
A fringe AHL'r for a fringe AHL'r

Old
08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
What I found most interesting about this trade is that Botta went out of his way to say that Hennigar was an awful signing to begin with. I've never seen him editorializing bridgeport signings like this. I wonder what he meant by that. Aside from that, this trade is as irrelevant as it gets.

Old
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Isles Enforcer

The latest on Matt Martin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFFIqmJLnYM

Old
09-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Martin is signed.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...martin-signed/

What I'm curious about now is who all is in the running for a job in BPort?

Of our own draft picks, we've got the following guys on the BPort radar:
G Koskinen
D Katic, MacDonald, Kohn
F Joensuu, Marcinko, Figren, Dibenedetto, Martin,

Veteran AHL signings this summer:
G Munroe
D Flood
F Mauldin, Moulson, Reich, Moore

UFA signings out of college/juniors or via trades:
F Dale, Romano, Hughes

Other returnees:
G Lawson
D Wotton, Gleed, (Hillen)
F Smith, Bentivoglio, Haley, Haskins, Morency, (Rechlicz)

Sheeeeesh, did I forget anybody?

Last edited by Homeland Security: 09-04-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added Link for signing Sal
Old
09-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Martin is signed.

What I'm curious about now is who all is in the running for a job in BPort?

Of our own draft picks, we've got the following guys on the BPort radar:
G Koskinen
D Katic, MacDonald, Kohn
F Joensuu, Marcinko, Figren, Dibenedetto, Martin,

Veteran AHL signings this summer:
G Munroe
D Flood
F Mauldin, Moulson, Reich, Moore

UFA signings out of college/juniors or via trades:
F Dale, Romano, Hughes

Other returnees:
G Lawson
D Wotton, Gleed, (Hillen)
F Smith, Bentivoglio, Haley, Haskins, Morency, (Rechlicz)

Sheeeeesh, did I forget anybody?
18 possible forwards in camp. I will say Dale,Romano and Hughes start in Utah. So that knocks it down too 15. Rechlicz and Joensuu or Moulson may start in the show. So that brings it to 13 forwards. That is a gritty nasty set of forwards. Bport will be tough to play against upfront.

On D Mcdonald, Kohn, Katic, Westgarth ,Flood and Wotton(Captain but was scratched a hand full of times last year) seem like definites. I am behind Sellars and would like to see him earn a spot.

Goalies is going to be a free for all. I would not be surprised if the Isles trade Munroe or let Koskinen start in Utah. I dont want to see Koskinen start in Utah but that may be the only options.

Old
09-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Isles Enforcer

Brett Westgarth; Plus any camp invites (see Luke Sellars) and possibly 1 or 2 Odessa guys like last year. Possibly a Utah veteran as well?

Last edited by Isles Enforcer: 09-04-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old
09-05-2009, 07:53 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
18 possible forwards in camp. I will say Dale,Romano and Hughes start in Utah. So that knocks it down too 15. Rechlicz and Joensuu or Moulson may start in the show. So that brings it to 13 forwards. That is a gritty nasty set of forwards. Bport will be tough to play against upfront.

On D Mcdonald, Kohn, Katic, Westgarth ,Flood and Wotton(Captain but was scratched a hand full of times last year) seem like definites. I am behind Sellars and would like to see him earn a spot.

Goalies is going to be a free for all. I would not be surprised if the Isles trade Munroe or let Koskinen start in Utah. I dont want to see Koskinen start in Utah but that may be the only options.
Competition for roster spots in Bridgeport seems to be really tough this year, and it's a great thing. However, the goalie situation worries me. Currently, all 3 guys seem to be AHL quality goaltenders. I haven't seen any of them play, but judging from AHL stats, they seem to be pretty good. Koskinen starting in the ECHL is not a good idea, because that's a giant step down from Finland, and I don't think the Isles drafted him to put him there because of a numbers game.

Munroe seems to be a lock, mainly because he seems to be a beast at the AHL level. Lawson made great strides last year, so sending him back to the ECHL doesn't seem warranted.

So for those who actually watch AHL games, which 2 belong with the sound tigers?

Old
09-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Competition for roster spots in Bridgeport seems to be really tough this year, and it's a great thing. However, the goalie situation worries me. Currently, all 3 guys seem to be AHL quality goaltenders. I haven't seen any of them play, but judging from AHL stats, they seem to be pretty good. Koskinen starting in the ECHL is not a good idea, because that's a giant step down from Finland, and I don't think the Isles drafted him to put him there because of a numbers game.

Munroe seems to be a lock, mainly because he seems to be a beast at the AHL level. Lawson made great strides last year, so sending him back to the ECHL doesn't seem warranted.

So for those who actually watch AHL games, which 2 belong with the sound tigers?
I have seen munroe play a bunch and he is to good for the AHL not good enough for the NHL.
Lawson- I watched Lawson steal 10 plus games on his own in Bport. He had a good year.He stood on his head and then when the playoffs came it turns out he had a shoulder injury and he still played ok.
Koskinen-Never saw him play

Also don't forget the Isles can loan another AHL team a goalie.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Isles Enforcer

I wonder if Odessa is an option?

Old
09-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Ahhhh yes, totally forgot about Westgarth. He should bring a fair amount of toughness to this club.

In general, I think this years' BPort team will definitely be a tough one to play against. With Reich, Haley, Haskins, Morency, Westgarth and maybe Martin and Rechlicz around, should be the type of team that opponents won't regularly take liberties with.

Just hope each of the guys like Figren, Dibenedetto, Joensuu, Martin, Smith and Marcinko (who should benefit most from Henningar's departure) continue their development and become offensive impact players. It'd be something else if Mauldin, Moore and Moulson, Smith, Joensuu and one of Figren/Dibenedetto could all get between 45-70 points.

From the outside looking in, Dale, Hughes and Romano are prolly looking at a Utah start in the season. Gleed too.

As for goaltending, there's no way that the Isles draft Koskinen farrrrr ahead of his pre-draft ranking, immediately bring him over for prospect camp, sign him and then send him to Utah. There'd be no reason to remove him from starting duty in the SIM Liiga in Finland for a spot in the ECHL. Lawson must be the guy on the outside.... from what I've seen, he does not have much of a shot of ever making it to the NHL, which is Koskinen's short-term goal. Munroe is simply a bonafide top-flight AHL goalie. He and Lawson will obviously suffer most from Snow's decision to surprisingly sign Biron.

Old
09-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Also don't forget the Isles can loan another AHL team a goalie.
If they can, this'd prolly be the most logical answer at the moment!

Old
09-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Brett Westgarth; Plus any camp invites (see Luke Sellars) and possibly 1 or 2 Odessa guys like last year. Possibly a Utah veteran as well?
If Sellars is contracted, I think his "toughness" will be the reason.

He did have 3 points in 5 games in Germany last season, but the folks from Iserlohn were in no rush to resign him. He bounced from Austria to Slovakia to Germany last season. He prolly needs to realize that he'd be lucky to get another regular job in the AHL at this point.

Old
09-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Isles Enforcer

Quote:
If Sellars is contracted, I think his "toughness" will be the reason.

He did have 3 points in 5 games in Germany last season, but the folks from Iserlohn were in no rush to resign him. He bounced from Austria to Slovakia to Germany last season. He prolly needs to realize that he'd be lucky to get another regular job in the AHL at this point.
He's only an invitee, and has had a series of off the ice problems. I seriously doubt he'd make the team, besides we already have 10 guys just like him. Remember when they brought Mitch Woods in a few years ago? They usually bring in a big tough guy for the games against Hartford and then cut them.

Old
09-07-2009, 03:34 PM
DPSNAGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post

why is it sucha terrible idea...we dnt no how koskinen we react to the smaller ice surface and the NA game...if he struggles in training camp give him lik 5-10 starts in the echl and let him get acclimated to NA hockey

i think munroe could be a good mentor to a guy lik koskinen when he is in the ahl but i do wonder how they will work this 3 man goalie unit once the season starts

Old
09-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Interesting tidbits:
http://blog.connpost.com/fornabaio/c...vites-09/1717/

Old
09-10-2009, 10:03 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Paul Healey?? that was a blast from the past when I saw that name.

Out of all of the invites, Victor Bartley and Jan Picksacek are the only ones who strikes up some potential. Jake Gannon was a team mate of Jack Hillen for 3 yrs.

Old
09-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
Paul Healey?? that was a blast from the past when I saw that name.

Out of all of the invites, Victor Bartley and Jan Picksacek are the only ones who strikes up some potential. Jake Gannon was a team mate of Jack Hillen for 3 yrs.
Yep, Bartley had a few good offensive years in the WHL and Piksacek is a Czech coming straight out of two QMJHL seasons which were statistically quite different. Unlike Piksacek, Bartley isn't signed. Jan has a contract of some sort... may just be a PTO, but it is with BPort. Looks like someone for the ECHL.

Still, as seen in the posts above, BPort has a LOT of competition for spots this fall. We also shouldn't forget that Nikiforov has some skills and if starts up by tearing things up in Utah - completely fathomable after having gotten his feet wet last year - he may be seen in the AHL as well.

By the way Benny, who's the chick in the pic?

Closed Thread