HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Good wheels for an inline hockey beginner?

Old
04-10-2009, 02:38 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

vCash: 500
Good wheels for an inline hockey beginner?

Hello, I just started playing inline and I was wondering what type of wheel you would recommend for a beginner. The ones I have now I seem to slide and fall down a lot more then I do in ice hockey, some of that is probably because I have never really skated before but I was also wondering if it had something to do with the wheels being to hard.

I am 5'11 150lbs if that helps at all. I also don't know how hard my wheels are right now compared to others. Any help would be appreciated.

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:30 PM
rmnyi

The surface you're playing on will dictate what wheels you need. Are you playing on outdoor rink, sport-court?? If you have a LHS that knows the rink where you'll be playing, they could probably tell you what wheels would be best.

rmnyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Placebo Effect

softer wheels will help you grip better on smooth concrete but will wear down a lot quicker especially if you use them on regular outdoor concrete, iirc

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
IniNew

For outdoor, smooth concrete rings I'd aim for something around 80-84a, for indoor sport court type things it all depends on how much grip you wan.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:04 PM
NYRCNS39

vCash: 754
I also have a question regarding wheels. For the past year or two, i havn't been able to find any "small wheels". A lot of the newer skates I see have all 4 wheels the same size, but mine always had 2 large in the back, 2 smaller in the front. I've been to a lot of sports stores such as modells, sports authority, and some pro shops, but nobody ever sells the smaller wheels anymore. So I guess obviously the next step is to go online and try to find some, but I can't figure out which are smaller wheels, everything I find is in relation to the bearing size or the hardness.

So my question is how do determine the size of the wheel itself without actually seeing it? is there another spec that i'm missing? Right now i'm just looking at a box of big wheels i've purchased recently, and all it says is 80mm/84a.

Edit: after doing more reading online, is the "80mm" spec on the wheels the bearing size? or the actual wheel size? I've always associated that number with the bearing size...

Last edited by NYRCNS39: 04-11-2009 at 01:39 PM.
NYRCNS39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:20 PM
roast

If you're playing indoor on sports court, your wheels are probably too hard (if you're falling a lot) - The lower the number the softer you get...word of warning though it will eventually start to effect how fast you skate, how quickly you can turn, etc. I usually stay in the 80 range. Regarding the size question I have a same chassis setup, it is a mission hi-lo. I use 68 in the front and 72 in the back. in your example below i beilieve 80mm is the radius of the wheel and 84a is the hardness.

roast is offline   Reply With Quote