HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

300 000 people to put 1000$ to buy the Habs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
  #1
ReVeuF
Registered User
 
ReVeuF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
300 000 people to put 1000$ to buy the Habs

They spoke about that on CKAC, what do you guys think about this idea ?

I think the management will be chaotic personnally. It will also turn to be way more political.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:11 AM
  #2
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,639
vCash: 500
Dumbest idea ever.
Why not 3 million people( pretty much the whole mtl population if im not mistaken) put 100$ each while were at it.

I hope they were joking about this.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:15 AM
  #3
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,409
vCash: 500
that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard?

300,000 owners? Is that actually what they're suggesting?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:24 AM
  #4
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 10,996
vCash: 500
If i invest 2000$ , which woulsd make me the majority owner , can i be the GM ?

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
  #5
Habs 1909
Registered User
 
Habs 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
They spoke about that on CKAC, what do you guys think about this idea ?

I think the management will be chaotic personnally. It will also turn to be way more political.
Hahaha
I was talking to my friend about this idea yesterday. The only way the owners could make a decision is by voting?
I guess they all get season tickets for 1000$ and complete control over the team.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
  #6
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
If you know anything at all about how the world works, you'd know that this is impossible.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:27 AM
  #7
viasyncro
Registered User
 
viasyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
Wow, I really don't think we could get a better example of our socialistic background with this proposal.

viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:28 AM
  #8
Doctor House
Registered User
 
Doctor House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
"There's a sucker born every minute"

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:29 AM
  #9
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Met Gillet's wife last night. Blonde, young, has a cute dog. I should've asked her if GG would go for it.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:31 AM
  #10
One
Registered User
 
One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 267
vCash: 136
Well, the Green Bay Packers would be an exemple...

Quote:
Priced at $200 per share, fans bought 120,010 shares during the 17-week sale, which ended March 16, 1998. As of June 8, 2005, 112,015 people (representing 4,750,934 shares) can lay claim to a franchise ownership interest. Shares of stock include voting rights, but the redemption price is minimal, no dividends are ever paid, the stock cannot appreciate in value - though private sales often exceed the face value of the stock, and stock ownership brings no season ticket privileges. No shareholder may own over 200,000 shares, a safeguard to ensure that no individual can assume control of the club. To run the corporation, a board of directors is elected by the stockholders. The board of directors in turn elect a seven-member Executive Committee (officers) of the corporation, consisting of a president, vice president, treasurer, secretary and three members-at-large. The president is the only officer to draw compensation; the rest of the committee is sitting "gratis."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers


Last edited by One: 03-25-2009 at 11:37 AM.
One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:39 AM
  #11
Booky
 
Booky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
People have to stop thinking that if they aquire a share of the montreal canadiens they would be able to vote for which UFA to sign...

The structue would be the following per se:

- 20 000 stocks of equal value held by X number of shareholders
- They would vote for an amount of adimistrators (7 for a concrete example)
- These administrators would be appointed for a term of 5 years
- These administrators would then appoint the members of the executive (president, gm, etc)
- The president and Gm would have exclusih "hockey decision making abilities" and without approval from the shareholders
- Thereby the only powers given to the shareholder is the appointement of the administrators
- You would be able to restrict the powers of the executive in the shareholders agreement where they would have to approve decisions (like UFA, draft etc...) BUt that model would be ridiculous and the NHL would never approve such ownership...

In conclusion, it is possible but completely unlikely...

Booky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:43 AM
  #12
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,204
vCash: 500
As much as I like the fact that Gregoire is not just another voice in the choir, and has his own opinions, this one is simply not realistic.

This would be an unmitigated disaster.

Imagine the first time the teams goes through a 4 game losing streak.

To say that we could do what Green Bay did is the same arguement that some political parties did saying that Quebec could model themselves after small independant latin american countries.... Why the HELL would you want to become a third world country? Why not benefit from being part of a first world nation?

In this case, why the HELL would we want to compare oursleves to Green Bay, a city with a population of 100, 000 people holding on for dear life to any semblance of being something more then a hick town.

Pie in the sky, ok this idea is worth kicking around. In reality, the 100% disaster.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
  #13
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,530
vCash: 500
Not to mention we would end up having a rotating door of upper management.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:55 AM
  #14
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,402
vCash: 500
The board of governers would never allow the sale.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:59 AM
  #15
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
The NHL will JUMP at this idea I am sure. It's probably the best idea since floating cars in the 50s.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:06 PM
  #16
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,645
vCash: 500
I'm the one in charge of this actually. Please forward me your credit card information or paypal account and I will let you know how you can be part of this!

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:27 PM
  #17
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post
Wow, I really don't think we could get a better example of our socialistic background with this proposal.
Listening to Rush Limbaugh a little too much, aren't you...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:29 PM
  #18
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Oh yeah i am sure the NHL would let this happen !!! Try again !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:34 PM
  #19
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
As much as I like the fact that Gregoire is not just another voice in the choir, and has his own opinions, this one is simply not realistic.

This would be an unmitigated disaster.

Imagine the first time the teams goes through a 4 game losing streak.

To say that we could do what Green Bay did is the same arguement that some political parties did saying that Quebec could model themselves after small independant latin american countries.... Why the HELL would you want to become a third world country? Why not benefit from being part of a first world nation?

In this case, why the HELL would we want to compare oursleves to Green Bay, a city with a population of 100, 000 people holding on for dear life to any semblance of being something more then a hick town.

Pie in the sky, ok this idea is worth kicking around. In reality, the 100% disaster.
Dismissing this idea because because a "hick town" like Green Bay does it too is a bit . The only reason that "hick town" has survived in the NFL (the all-powerful, immensely successful NFL) is probably because of community ownership.

Also, would you consider Barcelona and Madrid to be "hick towns"? Their football (soccer) teams are member-owned as well.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:36 PM
  #20
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges St Laraque View Post
If i invest 2000$ , which woulsd make me the majority owner , can i be the GM ?
NO WAY !
I'll contribute $2,001.01. And I'll be GM.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:37 PM
  #21
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,272
vCash: 256
What about Canadian Tire money,will that help?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:38 PM
  #22
7th Player
Registered User
 
7th Player's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booky View Post
People have to stop thinking that if they aquire a share of the montreal canadiens they would be able to vote for which UFA to sign...
The structue would be the following per se:

- 20 000 stocks of equal value held by X number of shareholders
- They would vote for an amount of adimistrators (7 for a concrete example)
- These administrators would be appointed for a term of 5 years
- These administrators would then appoint the members of the executive (president, gm, etc)
- The president and Gm would have exclusih "hockey decision making abilities" and without approval from the shareholders
- Thereby the only powers given to the shareholder is the appointement of the administrators
- You would be able to restrict the powers of the executive in the shareholders agreement where they would have to approve decisions (like UFA, draft etc...) BUt that model would be ridiculous and the NHL would never approve such ownership...

In conclusion, it is possible but completely unlikely...
I lol'ed
Agree completly

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:42 PM
  #23
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
NO WAY !
I'll contribute $2,001.01. And I'll be GM.
I'll put $2,002.00

What a stupid idea.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:14 PM
  #24
viasyncro
Registered User
 
viasyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Listening to Rush Limbaugh a little too much, aren't you...
Lol, it wasn't even an opinion, just stating facts. I was referring to us with a French Canadian background. Those who made the original comment are. This might help...

In 1960 Liberals under Jean Lesage come to power, the Quiet Revolutions begins
Problem: French Canadian Quebecers are considered 2nd class citizens. Political and economic power rests with small English speaking elite

Solutions:
a. have a long term strategy
b. surround yourself with brilliant ambitious people
c. have an independent banking system Caisse Populaire. Handled pensions, government programs, pay
d. nationalize future’s energy program (Hydro Quebec)
e. nationalize education, change it to reflect the long term needs of the province; emphasize technical needs
f. fund cultural programs

My point is that considering our past, this proposal to nationalize our hockey team seems too familiar.

viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:21 PM
  #25
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post
Lol, it wasn't even an opinion, just stating facts. I was referring to us with a French Canadian background. Those who made the original comment are. This might help...

In 1960 Liberals under Jean Lesage come to power, the Quiet Revolutions begins
Problem: French Canadian Quebecers are considered 2nd class citizens. Political and economic power rests with small English speaking elite

Solutions:
a. have a long term strategy
b. surround yourself with brilliant ambitious people
c. have an independent banking system Caisse Populaire. Handled pensions, government programs, pay
d. nationalize future’s energy program (Hydro Quebec)
e. nationalize education, change it to reflect the long term needs of the province; emphasize technical needs
f. fund cultural programs

My point is that considering our past, this proposal to nationalize our hockey team seems too familiar.
The proposal has nothing to do with nationalizing the team. Also, where do you get the idea Lesage created the caisse populaire?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.