HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu Souray praise Gillet!

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Koivu Souray praise Gillet!

By Terry Frei
Denver Post Sports Writer

MONTREAL - The Montreal Canadiens are on the verge of clinching a playoff berth, and the players are giving some of the credit to the ownership of Coloradan George Gillett Jr., who purchased the storied franchise in 2001.

Captain Saku Koivu brightened when Gillett's name was mentioned Tuesday morning, and the reason goes beyond hockey. He cited Gillett's support during the Finnish center's bout with stomach cancer in late 2001 and early 2002.

"For me, he's been amazing," Koivu said after the game-morning skate at the Bell Centre. "He phoned me every once in a while and asked if there was anything he could do. I had a trip to Finland for Christmas, and I wasn't going to be allowed to go on commercial flights because of my blood counts. He said: 'No problem. Use my plane.'

Advertisement

"I don't think it's too often you can say you feel like you're talking to a friend when you're talking to an owner. But that's the way it is with me, and I'm sure it is for a lot of other guys in this room.

"You can poll the people not just in here, but in the team office. Since he came here, it's more of a family environment. ... For four or five years, we went through a period where it seemed like we unloaded everybody, but now it seems that it's vice versa, we're bringing in guys to make this team better."

Veteran defenseman Sheldon Souray, close to returning to the lineup after suffering a back injury Feb. 10, said Gillett has been "awesome. He's a guy who's passionate about the game. He might not have been the most knowledgeable when he came in, but I tell you what, he's done everything he could possibly do to make us more comfortable and make sure the team is going in the right direction."

Souray cited the Gillett regime's hiring of former Canadiens star and ex-Dallas GM Bob Gainey. "It starts with George and trickles down," Souray said.

Gillett has attended a handful of games this season in Montreal, but his schedule wouldn't allow him to attend the Avalanche game.

Great article, Gillet is a great person

Old
03-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
You could see it in Gillette last Sat. during the Leafs game. He was on the edge of his seat. He's a classy guy and a true fan of the game.

Old
03-18-2004, 12:36 PM
julien

Gillet is the best owner period

Old
03-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Mooch

I think this guy deserves more recognition. He is always willing to commit to improve the team.

Old
03-18-2004, 12:46 PM
NWT Habs Fan

I had the opportunity to meet and have a very brief chat with GG before the November 2003 game in Vancouver. One of his comments to me sticks with me to this day..."Thanks for supporting our team". He is a really nice and down to earth guy, not one of these elusive owners that you never see.

Old
03-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
I had the opportunity to meet and have a very brief chat with GG before the November 2003 game in Vancouver. One of his comments to me sticks with me to this day..."Thanks for supporting our team". He is a really nice and down to earth guy, not one of these elusive owners that you never see.
Thats great man, i love down to earth people. I hate those rich ******** that treat people with normal income like crap and have money stuck up their you know what.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:19 PM
psychonaut

I did not like it a first a American with the Montreal Canadians in hes hand. Not that a tought we would moved the team. (The security would cost him too much) But now im glad, they told as they would lose cash if they don't go to the 3rd round then get a 6.6 million dollard player. He wants to win, and that makes him almost a Montrealers!!!! He is also a guy who lost his fortune and got it back. Like Montreal and the glory days, we are almost back

Old
03-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut
I did not like it a first a American with the Montreal Canadians in hes hand. Not that a tought we would moved the team. (The security would cost him too much) But now im glad, they told as they would lose cash if they don't go to the 3rd round then get a 6.6 million dollard player. He wants to win, and that makes him almost a Montrealers!!!! He is also a guy who lost his fortune and got it back. Like Montreal and the glory days, we are almost back
There not paying him the full 6.6 mill, but either way your right Gillet wants to win and has shown us that even though he is gona loose money most likely, he is willing to increas payroll.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:31 PM
#44_delivers

great read mooch thanks for hooking it up

Old
03-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
great read mooch thanks for hooking it up
NP #44

Old
03-18-2004, 01:37 PM
tnq

art to be rich, thx GG

Old
03-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I hate those rich ******** that treat people with normal income like crap and have money stuck up their you know what.

I've give you $1000 if you make me a sandwich while barking like a dog.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Ill do it :p

Old
03-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Been there, done that... Give me a challenge!

Old
03-18-2004, 02:07 PM
HabsoluteFate

I went to the box Gilette and a bunch of other Habs management was at during this year's rookie tournament at the corel center and out of the bunch of them Gilette was the most talkative...he certainly left one heck of a good impression on me!

Old
03-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Jacques Strappe

Hey, did anybody see the shot of him greeting some Leaf fans on Saturday night and giving them a hard time. Probably trying to convert them. Priceless. I'd work for that guy any day!

Old
03-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
I'd work for that guy any day!
Get in line

Old
03-18-2004, 08:23 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
Hey, did anybody see the shot of him greeting some Leaf fans on Saturday night and giving them a hard time. Probably trying to convert them. Priceless. I'd work for that guy any day!
Let's be honest, we'd work for the Canadiens even if *insert arbitrary dictator/tyrant here* was GM
BTW, sweet avatar. We just watched #5 (In tha Hood) and #6 (Back to tha Hood) last night. Damn classic. Highly recommended Mar. 17th viewing.

Old
03-18-2004, 08:36 PM
felixd

Does Gillette actually own Gillette(you know the deodorants and stuff) or is that just his name?

Old
03-18-2004, 10:45 PM
dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
Does Gillette actually own Gillette(you know the deodorants and stuff) or is that just his name?
i'm pretty sure he owns a meat packing company and has nothing to do with the gillette shaving company.

i remember the media made a big deal about an american owning a canadian team, but he has done a pretty good job.

Old
03-18-2004, 11:17 PM
rudethedude66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre
i'm pretty sure he owns a meat packing company and has nothing to do with the gillette shaving company.

i remember the media made a big deal about an american owning a canadian team, but he has done a pretty good job.
he owns about 8 different companies...meat ,trucking.entertainment and more

Closed Thread