HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Francois Giguere OUT as Avs Gm

Old
04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
thedoctor
                    

vCash: 500
these rumors about Lindy Ruff being fired in Buffalo have to be too good to be true, but if they ARE true, the Avs must jump on it. He's a great fit, no?

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:04 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
these rumors about Lindy Ruff being fired in Buffalo have to be too good to be true, but if they ARE true, the Avs must jump on it. He's a great fit, no?
yes.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyfan View Post
yes.
without a doubt

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

It would be a great decision and too good to be true which means it won't happen. But Lindy Ruff would be a great fit in Colorado. Can you imagine Nill as GM and Ruff as coach?

Realistically we won't get Nill because I doubt he leaves Detroit but if Ruff is fired he could be a real possibility.

For any of this to happen though PL will have to look outside the organization and Granato will have to be fired first.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:21 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
From Aaron Lopez:

InDenverTimes.com
This would be awesome if true.

Start fresh.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Ok, That's a good news , but what about Jacques Cloutier ?
Yes very good news, and these reports are starting to bring down my blood pressure a bit. I agree though, replacing Cloutier is just as important as replacing Granato IMO. I hope PL realizes there are many things wrong with this team, from two way players on the third line, goaltending, staying healthy, and the entire coaching staff. Fixing one problem isn't going to do it. He needs to fix them all, aside from the health aspect which can only be prevented so much.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quebec has forced a game seven, which is tomorrow. Depending on the outcome of that game, it could be another week before the Avs could speak with Roy.

Old
04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Mules
Ouch!

For those wanting Patrick ROy as the coach: Remparts just won 3-0 in game 6.

Series going back to Cape Breton?? tomorrow.

Roy as a coach still have that winning mentality.

BTW, Kelsey Tessier scored two goals today.

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index.php?page=1

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Quebec has forced a game seven, which is tomorrow. Depending on the outcome of that game, it could be another week before the Avs could speak with Roy.
Thats ok, no need to rush things. I hope Roy wins another memorial cup. Should only add to his resume.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
avspatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Snake View Post
I can't start feeling better about this team until Cloutier is fired
Second that!!!

avspatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:08 PM
avspatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Not excited at all about this news since its only about Giguere. This move doesn't matter one bit if Granato is still the coach. If Granato was going to be fired then why didn't they do it today?

The fact that Roy's team plays tonight kind of makes sense but they could have still fired Granato, its not like Giguere's replacement has been named either.
One firing per day?

Old
04-13-2009, 10:15 PM
avspatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
they should have waited until after tomorrows lottery show to fire him, make him sit on TV with the 3rd worse team in the league and try to spin it positively, then axe him
Can you say cruel?

Old
04-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspatti View Post
One firing per day?
lol. Maybe they have a schedule in place for firings. Granato tomorrow and Cloutier on Wednesday.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspatti View Post
Can you say cruel?
well it would be a tad cruel, but what we had to endure this season was MUCH WORSE

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Drury_Sakic

I think its perfectly fine to wait to fire Granato until the new GM is named, unless he is "promoted" ..... either way the new GM should be involved in hiring the coach, even if it is just to sit in the room and listen as PL does the interview.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Commander Enigma

Go Aaron Lopez's unnamed source, go!

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:54 AM
shadow1

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_12135908

According to this article, Lacroix won't consider being the GM again.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
I think its perfectly fine to wait to fire Granato until the new GM is named, unless he is "promoted" ..... either way the new GM should be involved in hiring the coach, even if it is just to sit in the room and listen as PL does the interview.
They shouldn't feel like they need to wait to fire Granato until they find a new GM, or after they've decided who the new coach is. They can let him go in the next couple days, and it won't affect the process at all.

Old
04-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Commander Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post

That article is filled with bad juju.

Please be right, unnewspaper.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:07 AM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

These quotes kind of scare me a bit...
That successor is expected to come from a handful of in-house candidates, but former members of the organization could be considered.

While the Avs remain tight-lipped about firing Giguere, a picture is emerging that La-croix blames more of the Avs' current troubles on Giguere's decisions than on Granato's coaching methods.
If it's internal I would think it's between Billington and Goulet, but I thought that a few years ago as well. Still kind of disappointing to think that (if true) only guys with connections to the organizations will be considered.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:

Why do they act like they care so much about winning, and the prestigious image of the team, when they put a higher priority on hiring their buddies, than making sure the organization is run properly with qualified candidates? Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Granato didn't work the first time, Cloutier has been f'ing up the D for almost a decade, Q didn't work in his tenure, Granato didn't work the second time, FG apparently in their eyes didn't work. The results of this season is "unacceptable?" What a bunch of BS. If losing was unacceptable, then they'd go out and hire proven winners as GM and Coaches, rather than consider gambling on another in house promotion.

Old
04-14-2009, 06:05 AM
MikeC

Quote:
It'll be Eric and this hiring will be another downgrade.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really hope you are jocking.

MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Hercules Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
If it's internal I would think it's between Billington and Goulet, but I thought that a few years ago as well. Still kind of disappointing to think that (if true) only guys with connections to the organizations will be considered.
Goulet was the first guy I was thinking of too after reading that quote.

Anyway, I don't know if Giguere is a good GM or not. I liked a lot of the moves he made, his (forced?) loyality to Granato though, is something unacceptable. This, and the fact that he absolutely did nothing to improve the team after Sakic and later Stastny went down for a long long time still early in the season, while telling the fans prior to the season (I'm paraphrasing here) "I believe this team is really good, yeah I would call them a contender. We made heaps of good moves and Tony G is the ripper. I'm confident that this will be a successful season blah blah blah. Budaj is great as well...", was his doom. There was an interview with Giguere in the DP not too long ago and he said the same "I truly believed this team was good enough to be in a much better position than it is right now". Seriously, FG, if you truly believe in your words, I feel bad for you. If you just said that to please the fans, I feel even worse.

Giguere might had a plan and a vision, problem was he didn't stick to it while fooling all fans during that process. If you state something like that at the beginning of a season, you instantly walk on thin ice. Sure, you get people excited. Sure, you say what everyone wants to here. But actions speak louder than words and those actions never happened. They could have happened though, at a point, let's say around the 30-40 game mark on which this team was still 0.500 and fighting for the playoffs despite having to play Hensick and Arnason as 1st and 2nd line centers sometimes.

Even if those mid-season moves wouldn't have worked, one could have at least said, "hey, he tried to make this team better", and you can bet your house and car that Lacroix would have done something in that situation. That's what everyone wants to see, a dedicated, passionate GM who isn't afraid to roll the dice.
Giguere on the other hand looked passive and lethargic. I'm not saying that he didn't try anything to improve this team - I don't know what happens behind closed doors - but we, as fans, didn't notice anything that could have made us believe managemet actually cares about winning and salvaging this season.

In the end they evaluate you on what you did and more importantly in this case on what you didn't do. They also evaluate you on what you proclaim, on your agenda and if you fulfilled it. Giguere even said that himself.

So to me, it's not hard to understand why they fired him.

Again, I don't think he's a bad GM. He didn't make moves that scream "what an idiot" but his passiveness fits more to a rebuilding team, not to one with the self-conception of a perennial winner.

Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 06:31 AM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Ok, That's a good news , but what about Jacques Cloutier ?
As long as PL will be there, Cloutier will stay....he is playing the same role Eric Lacroix was playing when he was playing for the Avs...telling PL what was happening in the players room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
It would be a great decision and too good to be true which means it won't happen. But Lindy Ruff would be a great fit in Colorado. Can you imagine Nill as GM and Ruff as coach?

Realistically we won't get Nill because I doubt he leaves Detroit but if Ruff is fired he could be a real possibility.

For any of this to happen though PL will have to look outside the organization and Granato will have to be fired first.
It would be so great to have Nill there

MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Roman Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralRonin View Post
That article is filled with bad juju.

Please be right, unnewspaper.
lol - no kidding....

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote