HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Playoff thoughts

Old
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM
CitizenCoyote

vCash: 500
OT: Playoff thoughts

Ok, so if this is too off-topic for this board, mods please delete. I know there are other HF boards to talk about the playoffs, but I thought it would be interesting to see what other Coyotes fans are rooting for or thinking. So, in no particular order.

1) I'm rooting for the Blackhawks. Not sure why. After what they did to us this year, I guess I have a slightly exagerated sense of how good they are. It would be nice to see a young team do well, and even though I should let it go, seeing Jokinen lose in the first round wouldn't be bad either.

2) Ducks can't lose soon enough for me. Not exactly a Sharks fan either, but I'd like to see the Ducks out in 4. I think San Jose is going to cruise to the title this year after that. We'll see.

3) Still not convinced of the Bruins. I bet the Habs give them a series to start. Even if they make it to the Eastern Conf. Finals, I think the Caps are the team to beat in the east.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:07 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Bruins all the way for me. Tim Thomas is one of my favorite players and having lived in Boston it'd be criminal of me not to cheer for them.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:14 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Since i lived there for 5 years and was a fan before the Coyotes; The Hawks for me.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Since i lived there for 5 years and was a fan before the Coyotes; The Hawks for me.
I'd like to see Tkachuk or Roenick get a Cup. Blues have no real chance, but I've been picking the Sharks to go all the way the last 3 years. This year I think they have a real good chance.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:50 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

East: Rangers (Morris & Sjostrom)

No way I cheer for Boston, they might have some good players on their team but as lond as Wheeler is there I just can't do it!!!

West: Columbus - I hate playing them because it seems like there is a pretty nasty rivalry that has developed between the Yotes and Columbus over the years but I can't help but hope for their success. Seeing them succeed gives me hope that we will be there soon.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:51 PM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
I'd like to see Tkachuk or Roenick get a Cup.

Boston and Detroit in the Finals-Boston in 6.

GophersGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:52 PM
indczn

I pick boston/san jose at the start of the year, but I hope boston loses just because of that one **** who signed with them.

I hope Detroit gets the crap beat out of them and loses in monumental fashion to the bj's.

Hope calgary goes just far enough so they give us the pick this year.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Wheeler's on the Bruins, that rules them out
Detroit - no need to say anymore
Avery - having Morris & Sjostrom almost gets me over the hump, but nope
Montreal - nope, hope all the "Price is God" lovers are choking right now
Pittsburgh - nope, although I do enjoy rooting for Malkin & Gonchar
Ducks - nope
Devils - as much as I enjoy watching Brodeur, nope
Flames - well, they've got Olli, I hope they advance so we get our pick this year

I guess I'm rooting for in no particular order:
St. Louis, Vancouver, Carolina, Columbus, Washington

My guess is that San Jose against Devils w/San Jose winning the cup

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxHunter View Post
Wheeler's on the Bruins, that rules them out
Detroit - no need to say anymore
Avery - having Morris & Sjostrom almost gets me over the hump, but nope
Montreal - nope, hope all the "Price is God" lovers are choking right now
Pittsburgh - nope, although I do enjoy rooting for Malkin & Gonchar
Ducks - nope
Devils - as much as I enjoy watching Brodeur, nope
Flames - well, they've got Olli, I hope they advance so we get our pick this year

I guess I'm rooting for in no particular order:
St. Louis, Vancouver, Carolina, Columbus, Washington

My guess is that San Jose against Devils w/San Jose winning the cup
I would much rather see them lose. That way, Sutter thinks long and hard about wether or not they should give us their 1st this year, or next.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
zz

- Caps. They've got an exciting young team and the best player in the world. Yes, I'll admit it - I am secret Ovie fanboy - but shhh... don't tell anyone, it's embarrassing.

- Blues. Their determination to make the playoffs in the second half and get out of bottom feeder status is inspiring. I wish we'd seen that kind of intensity from our coyotes.

- Flames. I'm also an Iginla fanboy. While Ovechkin entertains me, Iggy represents everything I love about hockey. He would look great with the Cup over his head.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:04 PM
hao chi

I'm rooting for the Pens since they're my favorite Eastern team, but I'm rooting for the Sharks to win the Cup.

I hope the Bruins, Blackhawks, and Ducks choke.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I like what the Blues have done but that Tkachuk reminder has put me off cheering for them. I dont think there's a player I'd least want to see win the Cup.

So I'm probably a Capitals fan.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
playoff's? What are those?

Mayo Taco Monday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

For me it's a fairly easy choice as I'm a HUGE Ovechkin fan. It's sad really, I've got McFarlane figures, jerseys, shirts, etc. I think it's developed into a full on man crush.

I have one other team I'll be pulling for heavily though and that's whoever is playing Boston!

Pending on how things go down, I'll also pull for the Canes and Blue Jackets. I always route for the non-traditional market teams!!!!

Oh and personally I don't think the Sharks will win it all and might not even make it out of the West. Boyle and Blake might be able to make the difference but still I see the Sharks as Ottawa West, they always choke in the playoffs!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:45 PM
YotesFan

Any non-hockey market team against a Canadian team. ANd of course the non-hockey market team to win the cup. LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Just to stick to those yocals who want to shut us down.

YotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:25 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Pens for me, they are and will always be my hockey team along with the Yotes....

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
Any non-hockey market team against a Canadian team. ANd of course the non-hockey market team to win the cup. LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Just to stick to those yocals who want to shut us down.
awesome. Let's hope thats us a few years down the road.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:32 PM

Caps & Pens in the East, Sharks & Hawks in the West. I'm not really committed to these playoffs this year either, as I wasn't much last year. I'll keep up with NHL on the Fly, but I probably won't watch many if any of the games.

I'm a fan of Ovy, Malkin, Gonchar and I think it's good overall for the league if players like Ovy, Malkin and Crosby are successful. I like the team that Chicago is building with the young talent and solid mix of veterans. San Jose has been a team I cheer for in the playoffs for a number of years now. As the team slowly changes my interest fades, but I think they are still a team that can do damage if the stars align.

My NHL fandom has decreased from superfan to casual fan in that I don't attend games, I don't watch games on television much at all, but I do look online at the boxscores and tune in to NHL on the Fly and/or NHL Live.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

as usual in the Western Conference I'll be rooting for a ton of injuries.

In the East I'd have to say the Caps because of an East Coast family connection.

all in all it's not so much about who wins each series, but about 2 things

1) I hope each series goes to 7 games
2) I hope whoever wins the series is playing on the road - this is the "If I can't witness my team win a playoff series, I don't want anyone else to witness their team winning a playoff series" rule of spite.

As for the Stanley Cup Champions...I use the "keep the braggarts to a minimum" rule of logic which means....

Keep the number of obnoxious fans who think their team is the best to a minimum. Can Red Wing fans get any worse...no. If they win the Stanley Cup will they be any more obnoxious....no, they can't get any worse. If they don't win the Stanley Cup this year will they be less obnoxious next year...no, they'll still be annoying braggarts, especially the bandwaggoners, I don't mind a legit Redwing fan.

If the Bruins win the Cup, there's a whole new population of fans who think they are the best...and the Red Wing fans will still think they are the best so you've effectively doubled the number of obnoxious fans. Can you imagine home games next year against the Sharks if they win the Cup...the bandwaggoners will come out of the woodwork (anaheim, LA, probably even Phoenix, as well as the superbandwaggoners from other states).

So, let the frickin Redwings win it again....I don't care. If they lose, they'll still be super annoying fans plus now we have some other fanbase which makes me wanna puke.

I hope Carcillo does well for the Flyers, I'll be rooting for Langkow, I'll even root for Tkachuck (only because Bobby Smith is an arse and makes Tkachuk look like the good guy); I'll root for Khabibulin, Derek Morris, Sjostrom, NOT Roenick, a little bit for Rob Blake, and for the City of Vancouver, the Canucks not so much.

But for the next 20 hours or so I'm focusing all of my rooting for some ping pong balls with the Coyotes logo on them. I'll dream about them tonight & focus all my energy on getting one of those ping pong balls to shoot up at just the right moment into a void of space which can only be occupied by one ball...and then a few months from now, the 6'6 Ikea Kid will be up on a podium in Montreal with GMDM & TGO.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:22 AM
BGDDYKWL

No surprise here but I'm rooting for the toughest team in every series, all the way til the end.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 04:35 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
...and then a few months from now, the 6'6 Ikea Kid will be up on a podium in Montreal with GMDM & TGO.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:56 AM
CoyotesIce99

West
San Jose over Anahein in 6 games. Anaheim will make it tough for San Jose.
Detroit over Columbus in 7 games. Detroit’s goalie will struggle.

Vancouver over St. Louis in 5 games. St. Louis is a team just happy to be in the playoff. Unless Mason can win some games on his own which he can, this series will not be difficult for Vancouver to win. This is the year Luongo will take his team to at least the Western final. The Sedin twins will finally have great playoff this season.

Calgary over Chicago in 6 games. I’m really hoping Chicago win but I think experience will win out in the end. Hope the Flames crash and burn because I don’t like to cheer for a team that has freaking Olli Jokinen & Keenan.

EAST
Boston will beat Montreal easily in 4 or 5 games. The Bruins have great goaltending, offence, defence, grit and this is their year.
Blake Wheeler probably thinking “what a great decision I made last summer, my team has a chance to win the Stanley Cup while that team drafted me is not even in the playoff”. This really hurts as a Coyotes fan, I think there is a very good possibility that the Bruins will go to the Stanley Cup final.

Washington over Rangers in 7 games. I could see an upset by Rangers too because Capitals’ defence and goalie can be suspect. But Ovechkin will refuse to lose to the Rangers.
Pittsburgh over Flyers in 7 games. This series will be exciting to watch. You can bet Flyers fans will have their silly chant of “Crosby Sucks”.

Carolina over New Jersey in 6 games. Hope the Devils crash & I have no desire of cheering for an aging Devils team.

CoyotesIce99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I'm always a Flyers fan second after the Coyotes so it would be nice to see them win. Wouldn't be bad to see Morris win with the Rangers I guess. I'd love to see Columbus win.

Not really hoping for anybody to lose in particular except I really dislike the Penguins and Blake Wheeler.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:36 AM
60DegreesIsCold

New York and Philly for Morris and Carcillo (Jokinen can bite me), and St. Louis because they're a really well-built team with a lot of depth. Very impressive to make the playoffs with all the struggles they've had. You have to wonder how they would've done without all the injuries.

60DegreesIsCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 07:55 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60DegreesIsCold View Post
New York and Philly for Morris and Carcillo (Jokinen can bite me), and St. Louis because they're a really well-built team with a lot of depth. Very impressive to make the playoffs with all the struggles they've had. You have to wonder how they would've done without all the injuries.
Don't forget Freddie Sjo

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote