HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

My Perspective

Old
04-23-2009, 08:58 PM
DJFP
Registered DJ

vCash: 500
My Perspective

I don't post on here very often but I could not hold my tongue after reading some of the posts bashing our own fans after game 4. Some of the comments read "Habs fans are morons" - "Worst fans in the league" etc... I found this atrocious. Guess what - This is a professional sports team that gets paid millions of dollars, not a grade 2 gym class where we need to be careful of kids feelings. This whole idea that the fans and media scare players away is ludicrous, complete speculation for the majority. This is Montreal - This is what the city always has always been about and everyone has always known this. The notion that the fans should not express their true emotions is absurd. Do you honestly expect me to applaud a team that gets swept in the first round? Do you expect me not to boo a goalie who let in over 4 goals a game during the series? No, I get mad because I brag about the habs from game 1 to game 82 non stop and scream habs in 7 until we get eliminated. Then I get mad because I have to listen to my friends until next season. Every year since I can remember I always tell everyone that the Habs will win the cup this year and every year everyone laughs at me. I would love to feel the way I did in 93 again. So I express my severe dissatisfaction at losing by jeering and booing. Guess what - these players make more in a year than most people make in a decade. I'm not saying that we need to trade and fire everyone, I'm just saying I want to be cheering for a winner, not a team that loses - just the same as you wouldn't cheer for a bad singer. Montreal has the greatest fans in the world and the ones who boo are just as valuable as any other. Period.

DJFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
One Trick Pony

What's your point? There are 14 teams that didn't even make the playoffs, they are paid too, should they all get booed too? Do you expect all 30 teams to be good just because they are paid? We played against the best team in the NHL, with an injured team, and we were 1 point away from not making the playoffs. Consider yourself lucky we even made them, instead of whining on how we got swept. If we had won 1, you would have whined that we only won one, Same thing for 2, or 3. All you guys want is to win, which is correct, but people like you expect us to win 82 games, which is ridiculous.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
LV Hab

Explain to me how a fan that boos is just as valuable as a fan that supports and encourages his team to win. Booing the oposition might make a fan valuable because you are trying to throw that player off of his game. Don't you think the same theory would apply to booing your own players. Why would you want to throw your own players off of their game. Is this somehow going to make the players all of a sudden snap out of it and make a comeback?

For me forums like these, bars, our own homes are where fans should go vent their frustrations, talk trash about certain players, whatever you have to do. The bell center should be a place where our players feel good to play in, not a place where they feel hated, where they are getting heckled and booed.

Comebacks like the one against the Rangers last year happened because the fans supported their team against all odds, not because they started to boo them. (Fans did boo that game, but for the most part they were booing the refs)

I understand that the team will get booed from time to time at the bell center, when the PP ican't even get the puck in the offensive zone or the team is showing no effort, but to attack individuals is pathetic and counter productive. It adds no value to a teams success and whether or not you want to believe it definitely deters free agents from signing here. Gainey has tried to get guys like Shanahan, Arnott, Briere, Hossa, Sundin, Souray, etc to sign here and none of them have, even though Bob is offering more money. Why do you think that is?

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:22 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccrecords View Post
I don't post on here very often but I could not hold my tongue after reading some of the posts bashing our own fans after game 4. Some of the comments read "Habs fans are morons" - "Worst fans in the league" etc... I found this atrocious. Guess what - This is a professional sports team that gets paid millions of dollars, not a grade 2 gym class where we need to be careful of kids feelings. This whole idea that the fans and media scare players away is ludicrous, complete speculation for the majority. This is Montreal - This is what the city always has always been about and everyone has always known this. The notion that the fans should not express their true emotions is absurd. Do you honestly expect me to applaud a team that gets swept in the first round? Do you expect me not to boo a goalie who let in over 4 goals a game during the series? No, I get mad because I brag about the habs from game 1 to game 82 non stop and scream habs in 7 until we get eliminated. Then I get mad because I have to listen to my friends until next season. Every year since I can remember I always tell everyone that the Habs will win the cup this year and every year everyone laughs at me. I would love to feel the way I did in 93 again. So I express my severe dissatisfaction at losing by jeering and booing. Guess what - these players make more in a year than most people make in a decade. I'm not saying that we need to trade and fire everyone, I'm just saying I want to be cheering for a winner, not a team that loses - just the same as you wouldn't cheer for a bad singer. Montreal has the greatest fans in the world and the ones who boo are just as valuable as any other. Period.
You're not a fan of a team if it's we when they win and they when they lose.

You're not a fan if honestly thought that a Habs team without Markov, Lang, Tanguay, Schneider should have beat the 2nd team in the league, the best defensive team in the league and 2nd in goals for.

A fan is not someone that turns on you and acts with disdain the moment he's disappointed. You guys think that the players dont care because that's a flaw you have so you assume everyone has that.

How about a bit of perspective? Why is it so difficult?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:16 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccrecords View Post

Personally I think it's a bunch of ********. I have been a loyal Hab fan for over 20 years, I've been through many rough years with this club, yet I've never once booed the team. I am still so freaking pissed off at this disaster of a season but then again I don't go around telling people the Habs are going to win the cup as we haven't had a team that can win the cup in a long time imo. I didn't think we would be as good as we were last year, I did think we would at least challenge for 1st in the east this year but figured we woudn't stand up well against the west (funny how well our record was against the west this year)

This season sucked, what a nightmare, but I don't understand the need to boo, what will that accomplish? Granted I don't really care if people boo, I find it stupid but it's your right. NO ONE IS SAYING HAB FANS SHOULD APPLAUD THIS TEAM! but booing isn't going to make them play better or increase our chances of winning.

As for the fans and media, I dont know what impact they have on players, but I do know that every July 1st, I don't see any impact players signing with the Habs. Tell me who have the Habs been able to sign as UFA's in the last 10+ years? Hammer was a good pickup although overpaid, he's been one of the better UFA's this team has had in some time (unless you count Kovy as signing as a UFA) Gee I wonder why the Habs can't land any big UFA's?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote