HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AZCentral Article

Old
04-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Rbenj

vCash: 500
AZCentral Article

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...yotesobit.html

I certainly hope that the veterans, and the COACH, would also step up and take accountability for what happened after the all-star break.

Hopefully, our young players will take this as a positive, and not get flustered by the inappropriate 'article title' .

Rbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It depresses me so much that there is zero chance that any changes will be made to the coaching staff. Wayne Gretzky is so bad at his job. Look what happened to Steve Stamkos once Melrose's ******** ass was **** canned. I wonder what things would be like for guys like Turris, Mueller, and Boedker had Gretzky been tossed out months ago, like he should've been.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:10 PM
zz

Not ONE mention of necessary coaching changes? NONE? It's all the kids' fault??

Jesus Christ. This organization absolutely deserves the **** they're in.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It depresses me so much that there is zero chance that any changes will be made to the coaching staff. Wayne Gretzky is so bad at his job. Look what happened to Steve Stamkos once Melrose's ******** ass was **** canned. I wonder what things would be like for guys like Turris, Mueller, and Boedker had Gretzky been tossed out months ago, like he should've been.
Think about it: Moyes isn't going to change coaches on the way out. That's a decision any outgoing owner would certainly leave for the new incoming owner to make, out of simple respect and business sense. As an icon of the game, it is not an easy decision to throw Gretzky to the curb. Having Gretzky in the mix is still an asset to the club, whether he continues to coach or not. The new owner is certainly going to want to have some say how this plays out and Gretzky's role especially since he/she may need Gretzky to play a prominant role in the "new administration," whether its coaching, management, in marketing, as 'goodwill embassador', governor, or simply remaining on as a minority owner.

Plus, I've toned down my thoughts on Gretz as coach since March 14 when the team started to pull out of that horrible slump and ended the year in pretty respectable fashion. (Although I would have let Hale, Klee and Winnick take that last shootout v. the Ducks to guarantee the lottery spot). Frustrations aside, lets not s*** on Gretzky. He's still Wayne Gretzky and a huge reason why the Coyotes aren't the Portland Rosebuds today.

Last edited by Jake16: 04-13-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:25 PM
doaner

ive been out of the loop and everyone keeps talking about incoming owners...do we know who it is yet? thx for the help guys

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:25 PM
MP

Maloney probably can't comment on Gretzky's status until a new owner has been found. You'd have to be blind not to recognize the fact that a coaching change is needed, but Maloney would be an idiot to undermine Gretzky's position as coach and part-owner of the team at this point.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
Frustrations aside, lets not s*** on Gretzky. He's still Wayne Gretzky and a huge reason why the Coyotes aren't the Portland Rosebuds today.
Jerry Moyes, Steve Ellman & the city of Glendale are huge reasons why the Coyotes are here. Wayne Gretzky has a clearly defined job for which he receives compensation. As a coach, his track record so far has been poor to say the least, therefore he deserves most of the blame for our team's record. His name does not grant him a free pass.

Now, regarding the team doing well over the past month, haven't you noticed a pattern? When the yotes are outsiders and may be underrated by their opponents, they get in the .500+ range. When things get tough and they get played like a potential playoff threat, things aren't so good.

You can look at the past 4 weeks and see a team moving upwards, think we stole very underrated talent at the deadline, and be optimistic about next season.

Or you can see a couple mid-tier players desperate for a contract and excited about a change of scenery, and notice that none of our young core has made any progress over the course of an entire season.

I guess that makes me a glass half-empty kinda guy.

Old
04-13-2009, 03:48 PM
indczn

I'll give TGO until the new ownership group takes over to do anything, however, after that I fully expect him to step down, and if he doesn't I'll be calling for his head next season.

I sure wouldn't want to be in GMDM's position stuck between a coach/owner who apparently doesn't seem to do anything well, yet seems to be doing a good job despite that.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737

We can sum all this up into two statements:
  1. Gretzky is not a good NHL coach.
  2. Gretzky is not going anywhere until he decides to go on his own.

With those as givens, all the calling for his head business, "Step down, Gretzky!" chants, and constant complaining really accomplishes very little. Just MHO, though... I do understand the value of venting.

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:09 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post

We can sum all this up into two statements:
  1. Gretzky is not a good NHL coach.
  2. Gretzky is not going anywhere until he decides to go on his own.

With those as givens, all the calling for his head business, "Step down, Gretzky!" chants, and constant complaining really accomplishes very little. Just MHO, though... I do understand the value of venting.
fine, consider my post praising GMDM, despite organizational handcuffs.

Old
04-13-2009, 04:11 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Fair enough.

I can't believe the season's over. I feel as if it never started.

Old
04-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Jerry Moyes, Steve Ellman & the city of Glendale are huge reasons why the Coyotes are here. Wayne Gretzky has a clearly defined job for which he receives compensation. As a coach, his track record so far has been poor to say the least, therefore he deserves most of the blame for our team's record. His name does not grant him a free pass.

Now, regarding the team doing well over the past month, haven't you noticed a pattern? When the yotes are outsiders and may be underrated by their opponents, they get in the .500+ range. When things get tough and they get played like a potential playoff threat, things aren't so good.

You can look at the past 4 weeks and see a team moving upwards, think we stole very underrated talent at the deadline, and be optimistic about next season.

Or you can see a couple mid-tier players desperate for a contract and excited about a change of scenery, and notice that none of our young core has made any progress over the course of an entire season.

I guess that makes me a glass half-empty kinda guy.
How could Lombardi and Upshall actually be "excited about a change of scenery" that came at the trade deadline?" They left playoff teams (losing that playoff check as well) with rabid, hardcore fan bases that have sold out every game for years to come play for a slumping team that play in a, lets just say 'less than full," arena. The top line and PP minutes are nice for them and their chemistry with Prucha obviously clicked, but I'm just saying that they left pretty good situations that I'm sure they weren't dying to get out of either. They weren't disgruntled where they were. That being said, I think both played great with the Yotes and I hope both stay here in the Valley.

Last edited by Jake16: 04-13-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old
04-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
ive been out of the loop and everyone keeps talking about incoming owners...do we know who it is yet? thx for the help guys
No one knows, as crazy as that sounds. In the other 2 cities where teams are for sale (Montreal and Dallas), the rumors and stories regarding potential new owners are endless, here nothing. Phoenix sports media sucks.

Old
04-13-2009, 04:30 PM
knowsthegame

GM DM knew that he was coming into an unusual situation in Phoenix when he accepted the position. He reports to coach Gretsky the managing partner, who as coach reports to him as GM.
We all know that DM is in no position to utter even one negative word about TGO.
This has disfunction written all over it. Surprise - it's not working!
Keep GM DM, and you all know how I feel about Wayne.
I have a feeling Wayne will step down before the beginning of next season (under the new ownership)

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:31 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Not ONE mention of necessary coaching changes? NONE? It's all the kids' fault??

Jesus Christ. This organization absolutely deserves the **** they're in.
Maloney is admitting that he made a mistake by forcing a bunch of young players into the lineup while not having enough veterans. Maloney is stating that while these kids are our future, we still need some good veterans that can take pressure off of them and be role models for them.

To me, this is Maloney taking responsibility for our playoff miss. You can say he's blaming the young players, but I think guys like Turris, Boedker, and Tikhonov will admit that bringing in a few more veterans will be a good thing for them and the team.

I don't see how any of you can disagree that too many rookies - no matter how much upside they have, and not enough veterans is practically a guaranteed playoff miss. Though some of you will find any excuse to complain about Gretzky, so I'm not surprised at the reaction.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:36 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
I think guys like Turris, Boedker, and Tikhonov will admit that bringing in a few more veterans will be a good thing for them and the team.
Explain how Turris, Boedker and Tiki would even be in the lineup if they brought in a few more veterans. How does that make sense?

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
indczn

Quote:
Maloney is admitting that he made a mistake by forcing a bunch of young players into the lineup while not having enough veterans. Maloney is stating that while these kids are our future, we still need some good veterans that can take pressure off of them and be role models for them.

To me, this is Maloney taking responsibility for our playoff miss. You can say he's blaming the young players, but I think guys like Turris, Boedker, and Tikhonov will admit that bringing in a few more veterans will be a good thing for them and the team.

I don't see how any of you can disagree that too many rookies - no matter how much upside they have, and not enough veterans is practically a guaranteed playoff miss. Though some of you will find any excuse to complain about Gretzky, so I'm not surprised at the reaction.
Of course hes going to publicly say what hes said. He obviously isnt going to throw TGO under the bus when TGO also has the privilege of firing GMDM. GMDM is a professional and saying what needs to be said and should be said, and i respect him for that.

Now, as a completely uninformed fan, I get to criticize TGO as much as I want, and, guess what, I think he sucks at his job. I'm just biding my time until TGO admits he screwed up and steps down, and if that doesn't happen, I'll be at the first game next year calling for his head.

Old
04-13-2009, 04:55 PM
YotesFan

All I really see room for in our lineup is a top 4 dman. And 1 top six or bottom six veteran forward. We already have Rhino, I'd just as soon keep him as a veteran forward than let him walk and go get another.

Lisin deserves more icetime and a shot has a full time top six forward.

Doan Rhino Lisin
Prucha Lombardi Upshall
Boedker Hanzal Mueller
Winnik Turris Tik
Prust/Fedoruk

I could see a lineup like that next year and be happy. Add a top 4 Vet Dman and hope for better Goaltending.

YotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:22 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
Explain how Turris, Boedker and Tiki would even be in the lineup if they brought in a few more veterans. How does that make sense?
A lot of the forwards we have will have traded or let go, and they're only bringing in 1-2 forwards and a D-Man. It's not that hard to fit them into the top-nine. Though it's hard to guess a line-up with how many people will be going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
Of course hes going to publicly say what hes said. He obviously isnt going to throw TGO under the bus when TGO also has the privilege of firing GMDM. GMDM is a professional and saying what needs to be said and should be said, and i respect him for that.

Now, as a completely uninformed fan, I get to criticize TGO as much as I want, and, guess what, I think he sucks at his job. I'm just biding my time until TGO admits he screwed up and steps down, and if that doesn't happen, I'll be at the first game next year calling for his head.

I don't care if Gretzky returns next season or not. From the sounds of it Maloney has every intention of giving us a team that has no reason to miss the playoffs. If Gretzky can't coach that team the the playoffs, then I will be disappointed if Gretzky's ass isn't kicked to the curb.

Until then, I will remain patient and optimistic. For now, I'm not surprised the second youngest team in the league failed to make the playoffs.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
All I really see room for in our lineup is a top 4 dman. And 1 top six or bottom six veteran forward. We already have Rhino, I'd just as soon keep him as a veteran forward than let him walk and go get another.

Lisin deserves more icetime and a shot has a full time top six forward.

Doan Rhino Lisin
Prucha Lombardi Upshall
Boedker Hanzal Mueller
Winnik Turris Tik
Prust/Fedoruk

I could see a lineup like that next year and be happy. Add a top 4 Vet Dman and hope for better Goaltending.
That lineup is too similar to the current one that disappointed and therefore relies almost entirely on guys like Turris, Tikonov, and Boedker having breakout years from 20 -30 points to 50-60 in order to improve.

From your list, I don't think Prust, Fedoruk, Winnick, and Rhino are guaranteed spots by any means. Prucha may also be on that list, (except he played well with Upshall and Lombardi at the end of the year.) The rest I see back, along with Kevin Porter. Since we need at least one guy who can fight the opposition team's tough guy when called, I think Rhino's center spot in particular is targeted for an upgrade by bringing in a No. 1, veteran center who has consistently scored in the 60-65 point plus range and set to be paid about $4M. (i.e. Jokinen Project II, minus the slump, unspirited play, and attitude).

Old
04-13-2009, 05:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I don't care if Gretzky returns next season or not. From the sounds of it Maloney has every intention of giving us a team that has no reason to miss the playoffs. If Gretzky can't coach that team the the playoffs, then I will be disappointed if Gretzky's ass isn't kicked to the curb.
That's like giving a senile, blind, old lady a Ferrari in hopes it will make her a better driver.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:27 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Wow...that is a horrible article. How is this the kids' fault?

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I don't think the article is saying it's the kids fault. I think it's merely pointing out that if you ice a team of youngsters, you shouldn't be that surprised by the result.

btw...Hanzal DID NOT take a step back this year. His offense is still lacking but his defense improved greatly which is saying something considering he was already pretty good!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:51 PM
CoyotesIce99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I don't think the article is saying it's the kids fault. I think it's merely pointing out that if you ice a team of youngsters, you shouldn't be that surprised by the result.
btw...Hanzal DID NOT take a step back this year. His offense is still lacking but his defense improved greatly which is saying something considering he was already pretty good!
I completely agreed with above two comments.

Quote:
GM DM knew that he was coming into an unusual situation in Phoenix when he accepted the position. He reports to coach Gretsky the managing partner, who as coach reports to him as GM. We all know that DM is in no position to utter even one negative word about TGO.
It was Maloney who hire his brother in-law Doug Sullivan as an assistant coach. He should take part of the blame for that hire too.

I really doubt the Coyotes will hire a new head coach this summer unless the new owner forces the issue. But what Maloney probably will do is hire an experienced associate coach to help out Gretzky.
Or they might do what Chicago did this season, give the coaching staff few games, if the team struggles early on then they have no choice but change the entire coaching staff.

CoyotesIce99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
That's like giving a senile, blind, old lady a Ferrari in hopes it will make her a better driver.
That made me laugh out loud.

I don't agree with your comparison but it was quite funny!

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote