HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Daigle nominated for Masterton Trophy

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 01:15 PM
tytech

vCash: 500
Daigle nominated for Masterton Trophy

What a joke. Dedication to hockey? Quit to pursue blond bomshell (Pam) and actor life only to return when both failed. Who cares if he is back and doing alright it's dedication to hockey. Someone like John Slaney from Philly who has the most AHL points in history and also appeared in two-three Flyer games this year. Sheldon Souray who returned after missing a year for health problems to have his best season ever. Not Alex Daigle who returned after a failed an acting career

Old
03-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
What a joke. Dedication to hockey? Quit to pursue blond bomshell (Pam) and actor life only to return when both failed. Who cares if he is back and doing alright it's dedication to hockey. Someone like John Slaney from Philly who has the most AHL points in history and also appeared in two-three Flyer games this year. Sheldon Souray who returned after missing a year for health problems to have his best season ever. Not Alex Daigle who returned after a failed an acting career
I can understand your point of view, but wouldn't it require some kind of dedication to the game to leave that Hollywood lifestyle behind and spend the better part of a season playing minor league hockey to try and get back? He sure aint playing for the money....

Old
discostu

Is it safe to assume that he's the Minnessotta nominee, and is just one of 30 nominees across the NHL, and not one of the three finalists?

I hope it's the latter, but even still, I have to ask Wild fans, is there no one else on that team that's more deserving of the honour?

Old
Martin

Can you provide a link to back this up?

Anyways, when I read it somewhere else, I read that he was the Minnesota Wild's nominee..... not a finalist.

I can't see a scenario where he'd be a finalist, really.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:23 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
I can understand your point of view, but wouldn't it require some kind of dedication to the game to leave that Hollywood lifestyle behind and spend the better part of a season playing minor league hockey to try and get back? He sure aint playing for the money....
Well, he apparently came back after he spent most of his money out in Hollywood in a blown attempt to start a production company. He may not be making the same amount of money he made in the past, but it sounds like he needs that money more than ever.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:25 PM
tytech

TSN.CA

He is Minnesota's finalist but still pretty funny. The only reason he's back and spent time in the minors is becasue things didn't work out for him in Hollywood. He didn't have to leave a glamourous lifestlyle cause he didn't have one. He was eating cereal at 10 pm everynight after watching Striperella and falling asleep on the couch in that weeks pair of jogging pants.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Mizral

I wish you guys would go look at what Daigle is doing.

First off, have you seen any of his interviews this year? You'll come away with a much different impression of the man. He truely wants to make it as an NHL'er right now. He realizes his mistakes in the past, and is trying to rectify them.

However, perhaps the most interesting thing is that Daigle is trying to fit into the Wild. Peirre McGuire the other night on TSN was just lauding praise on Daigle for backchecking. He couldn't believe what he was seeing - Daigle backchecking.. LOTS.. and efficiently. Later in the game, he gave kudos to Daigle for his determination to make it back to the NHL and to play a 'team game'.

No, Daigle does not deserve to win it over my favorite pick, Scott Barney... but to me, he's a very, very deserving canidate.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Hossa

It's nice to see Daigle doing well again, but his story is in no way what this award is about.

I think Steve Yzerman is a great candiate for the Masterton, becuase he so easily could have just retired with millions in his pockets, a few Cup rings, a first ballot hall of fame induction and a place among the all-time greats, but he didn't. He rehabbed a horrific knee injury (heck, the guy needs an award just for that playoffs where he played on one leg) for an incredibly long time and came back for more. Daigle has nothing on Stevie Y, and IMO it would be a strike against the Masterton if he were to win.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I wish you guys would go look at what Daigle is doing.

First off, have you seen any of his interviews this year? You'll come away with a much different impression of the man. He truely wants to make it as an NHL'er right now. He realizes his mistakes in the past, and is trying to rectify them.

However, perhaps the most interesting thing is that Daigle is trying to fit into the Wild. Peirre McGuire the other night on TSN was just lauding praise on Daigle for backchecking. He couldn't believe what he was seeing - Daigle backchecking.. LOTS.. and efficiently. Later in the game, he gave kudos to Daigle for his determination to make it back to the NHL and to play a 'team game'.

No, Daigle does not deserve to win it over my favorite pick, Scott Barney... but to me, he's a very, very deserving canidate.
Good call on Barney. Very good in fact.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Agree with Mizral (and maybe Hossa if he's changed his mind) on this one.

Scott Barney is the Masterton this year, no question in my mind.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:44 PM
eddy

I'm happy for Daigle, I've actually been rooting for him to make it again ever since he decided to come back, and he's having a great year in Minnesota.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
It's nice to see Daigle doing well again, but his story is in no way what this award is about.

I think Steve Yzerman is a great candiate for the Masterton, becuase he so easily could have just retired with millions in his pockets, a few Cup rings, a first ballot hall of fame induction and a place among the all-time greats, but he didn't. He rehabbed a horrific knee injury (heck, the guy needs an award just for that playoffs where he played on one leg) for an incredibly long time and came back for more. Daigle has nothing on Stevie Y, and IMO it would be a strike against the Masterton if he were to win.
You can't give it to Yzerman twice in a row for the same thing, and besides, it will probably goto Messier this year if he decides to retire, and you know what, nobody is more dedicated to the game than him. he is still one of the hardest workers in the league, and the best leader there is and ever was, and the guy is 43. He clearly isn't just playing for the money, he is playing for the game. Its a shame that on these boards everybody is telling him to quit. Well guess what. Why should he? he is still a 40-50 point player. Should all 40-50 point players just quit the nhl?

Old
03-18-2004, 01:46 PM
kyle

Quote:
Daigle has nothing on Stevie Y, and IMO it would be a strike against the Masterton if he were to win.
You do realize who won the award last year, right?

Daigle as Minnesota's nominee: I think it's a good choice. Daigle had so much pressure on him to perform from the media/fans and he just wasn't suited for that level in the NHL. He comes back as a role player on a defensive team and leads the team in goals for most of the year. He has a hell of a come back story. He won't get it and he won't be a finalist but seriously, who on Minnesota should be their nominee?

Old
03-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Russian_fanatic

My vote goes to Dany Heatley he is doing so well even after coming through a major injury .

Old
03-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
You can't give it to Yzerman twice in a row for the same thing, and besides, it will probably goto Messier this year if he decides to retire, and you know what, nobody is more dedicated to the game than him. he is still one of the hardest workers in the league, and the best leader there is and ever was, and the guy is 43. He clearly isn't just playing for the money, he is playing for the game. Its a shame that on these boards everybody is telling him to quit. Well guess what. Why should he? he is still a 40-50 point player. Should all 40-50 point players just quit the nhl?
I meant it more as that's what I see in a Masterton nominee, but upon reading my post again, it defenitely was ambiguous. I did realize Yzerman won last year.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:49 PM
CH

If it was up to me I'd give the Masterton trophy to Bryan Berard this year.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
He has a hell of a come back story. He won't get it and he won't be a finalist but seriously, who on Minnesota should be their nominee?
They've already trotted out Walz, Park, and Roloson - Most of their other guys are too young to be considered. He's the best they have, but a good choice as well.

I'm learning to what degree Daigle is something of a lightning rod; he will always have a group of vocal critics behind him.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:00 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Is it safe to assume that he's the Minnessotta nominee, and is just one of 30 nominees across the NHL, and not one of the three finalists?

I hope it's the latter, but even still, I have to ask Wild fans, is there no one else on that team that's more deserving of the honour?
Just the Wild's nominee. The writers make the selection, too. Daigle's been a good story for the local guys.

As for who else.. well, I guess we could go with Gaborik, for coming back after not getting his 6 million/year contract. Or maybe Burns, for making a million for mostly practicing with NHLers.

We don't have that many guys that have been around long... 4th youngest team right now. Walz, Park, and Roloson have been chosen before, so you could go with one of those guys, I suppose. Maybe Brunette. Johnson would be a fun choice, but probably not better received than Daigle. Daigle's a fairly fitting choice for this season. He actually has overcome quite a bit, even if the cause of most of it was his own actions (as a kid). I'm sure he won't be close to a finalist... I doubt most of the media would give him any chance; they seem to like to slam him whenever possible.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
My vote goes to Dany Heatley he is doing so well even after coming through a major injury .
Determination to the sport? I don't think flying around at three times the speed limit in a high-powered sports car in the middle of the night with abrupt curves along the road shows a lot of commitment and determination to the sport. Hate to sound calous, but Heatley I think still has a lot to learn I think. I'm not sure if crashing up a car and rehabbing an injury is as 'determined' as some of the better stories out there. Heck, even Daigle's.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Luigi Lemieux

giving it to heatley would be an even bigger joke than giving it to daigle

Old
03-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH
If it was up to me I'd give the Masterton trophy to Bryan Berard this year.
Berard should've won it *last* year, but apparently it's a lot harder to come back from a knee injury than it is to come back after losing an eye.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:17 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
SWEET JESUS?

Is HELL freezing over?

Daigle...dedication to hockey...good god...what's next? Leafs winning the cup?

Old
03-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
I meant it more as that's what I see in a Masterton nominee, but upon reading my post again, it defenitely was ambiguous. I did realize Yzerman won last year.
Oh, if your talking about what type of person a masterton nominee should be, then for sure Yzerman is a good example. But I don't think he deserves it this year.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Berard should've won it *last* year, but apparently it's a lot harder to come back from a knee injury than it is to come back after losing an eye.
This is either Berard's 3rd or 4th season since he returned.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Yeah, but last year was his first full season playing a significant role.

Closed Thread