Year-end top 20 prospects

Old
04-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
Year-end top 20 prospects

here's mine would like to see others

1. fabian-I think he scores 30 next year
2. Vish-More convinced than ever of potential-suprised at somewhat more physical than I thought
3. Benn-Another guy who can score close-in and seems to be okay defensively
4. Wandell-never embarassed himself If he can diversify his game will stick for along time
5. Roman-continued progress again this year-plz shoot
6. Larson-potential is higher but can be asolid 3/4 type it seems
7. sawada-finished product but can be a 4th liner
8. Bachman-potential is there but small and only good not great last year
9. korostin-boom/bust type
10. Sceviour- ability to score the question potential sleeper though
11. Tassone- size to be a decent lower line center not sure about his defensive game
12. Monast-could suprise
13.Besko-I assume somebody saw something they like but needs a new team or off the list
14.Lindgren-talent isn't everything
15-Climie-could beNHl back-up-more likely AHL career
16.Winkler-long way to go
17. Sachetti-Needs time in Minn first
18. bergin-just do not know but really nothing below will be more than spot duty

Last edited by Starsdude: 04-14-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I don't consider Brunnstrom a prospect anymore but yeah he'd be number one on my list otherwise.

Top 15:

1. Vishnevskiy - There are still questions about his defensive positioning and all around defensive game but he didn't play poorly in the callup and the offensive skills and shot were off the charts. If his effort matches his talent he's our Gonchar.

2. Benn - Currently the WHL playoff scoring leader. All he's done for the last two years in Kelowna, Traverse City tournament, and Canada World Junior team is score. As offensively gifted as any Dallas Stars prospect since Iginla.

3. Wandell - In a couple of years he's our second line center. For now he'll eventually fill in for Mike Modano. Good passer, occasionally flashed a decent wrist shot and defensively responsible. Will get every opportunity to play with good wingers. Won't be rushed but will be first or second call up from Austin assuming he doesn't nab a vacant winger spot.

4. Larsen - Logged huge minutes for his Swedish team showing improved defensive responsibility and offensive confidence as the season progressed. Was Denmark's best defenseman and arguably best player (Lars Eller) in the World Junior B tournament. Probably needs one more year in Sweden before coming over to NA but may prove to be the steal of the 2008 draft.

5. Roman - Visa issues set him back but his return to Spokane showed a guy who's a gifted passer with a deceptive shot he needs to use more often. He also had a great showing on a subpar Czech World Junior team.

6. Bachman - Average numbers keep him lower on this list but still a quality goaltender prospect. We'll see how he does in Austin, but there's no reason to believe behind a good team he won't be a good backstop.

7. Korostin - I'm in the minority but I'm a believer. Picture Brunnstrom when you think of Korostin. Offensively very gifted, defensively questionable. Needs to work on using his linemates better (though playing with better linemates in Austin next season will help) and backchecking. Still a project but if he puts in the effort in his own zone, his offensive skills are top six worthy.

8. Tassone - Point a game guy on an average Swift Current team when he got injured. He banged and went to the front of the net to score, who also fought and stood up for teammates. If healthy next season he could put up great numbers in the WHL.

9. Sceviour - Played with great players but was up 20 points on the rest of the team. Probably a right winger rather than center at the next level who will have to show better scoring ability rather than set up ability along the wall.

10. Monast - Impossible to find a scouting report about him but the numbers he's put up in QMJHL are more than solid. He led his blueline in every offensive category and has obviously physically matured since his draft years. Good size, good offensive instincts that hopefully translate to his jump to Austin next year.

11. Sawada - I'm not sold on his offense. As a right shot right wing he'll be given every opportunity to earn a spot in Dallas but his ceiling in the NHL may be more 3rd line checker or 4th line energy guy. He'll get an opportunity to play with some scorers in Austin to start but he'll have to earn it to stay there.

12. Climie - Played great in the ECHL and didn't embarrass himself in his NHL callup. He'll share the job with Bachman in Austin. The best man will hopefully seize the job.

13. Winkler - Transitioned from center to right wing as the season moved along in Cedar Rapids before moving on to Colorado College next season. Was Norway's best player in the World Junior B Tournament. Still needs a few years to develop but his size and skill can't be taught.

14. Sachetti - Jason keeps telling me he'll be better if given the opportunity to play a top six role. My fear is at UM he won't get that opportunity for another year or two. Wait and see is the important phrase here.

15. Beskorowany - Played for a terrible junior team again but wasn't nearly as good this year as last year. Played less as the season moved on and was eventually benched in their short playoff series. Hopefully the Owen Sound go with Stajer and trade Besko but we'll have to see how he does in his final junior year. Too early to write him off but he did take a step back.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:11 PM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Arrows are if they've risen or fallen IMO by quite a bit.
1. Ivan Vishnevskiy
2. Jamie Benn
3. Tom Wandell
4. Philip Larsen
5. Nico Sacchetti
6. Sergei Korostin
7. Richard Bachman
8. Scott Winkler
9. Ondrej Roman
10. Matt Tassone
11. Tyler Beskorowany
12. Raymond Sawada
13. Perttu Lindgren
14. Mike Bergin
15. Tyler Shelast
16. Colton Sceviour
17. Guillaume Monast

Last edited by ________: 04-13-2009 at 11:44 PM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:15 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Just feel like doing a baker's dozen

1. Vishnevskiy
2. Benn
3. Larsen
4. Bachman
5. Wandell
6. Sceviour
7. Roman
8. Tassone
9. Korostin
10. Sawada
11. Sacchetti
12. Beskorowany
13. Winkler

I can't believe I have Wandell the lowest thus far, something must have gone horribly wrong.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Dr GLU

Oh, why not.

1. Jamie Benn
2. Ivan Vishnevskiy
3. Tom Wandell
4. Philip Larsen
5. Ondrej Roman
6. Richard Bachman
7. Colton Sceviour
8. Raymond Sawada
9. Sergei Korostin
10. Nico Sacchetti
11. Tyler Beskorwany
12. Matt Tassone
13. Scott Winkler
14. Perttu Lindgren
15. Austin Smith
16. Matt Climie
17. Guillaume Monast
18. Aaron Gagnon
19. Mike Bergin
20. Luke Gazdic

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 09:39 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

1. Benn
2. Vishnevskiy
3. Wandell
4. Bachman
5. Larsen
6. Sceviour
7. Roman
8. Sawada
9. Sacchetti
10. Tassone
11. Korostin
12. Winkler
13. Beskorwany
14. Climie
15. Lindgren
16. Monast
17. Smith
18. Shelast
19. Gagnon
20. Gazdic

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Arrows are if they've risen or fallen IMO by quite a bit.
1. Ivan Vishnevskiy
2. Jamie Benn
3. Tom Wandell
4. Philip Larsen
5. Nico Sacchetti
6. Sergei Korostin
7. Richard Bachman
8. Scott Winkler
9. Ondrej Roman
10. Matt Tassone
11. Tyler Beskorowany
12. Raymond Sawada
13. Perttu Lindgren
14. Mike Bergin
15. Tyler Shelast
16. Colton Sceviour
17. Guillaume Monast

So you still remain high on Nico and Winkler-good to hear

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Captain Awesome

Hey Jason, just out of curiosity, why is Sceviour so low on your list? Especially being lower than Lindgren who is pretty much all but written off at this point because of his effort level. Just curious.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote