HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Last Stanley Cup winner with a less than amazing goalie?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2004, 11:12 AM
  #1
Lambert Closse
Registered User
 
Lambert Closse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 2313 Ste-Catherine W
Country: Canada
Posts: 817
vCash: 500
Last Stanley Cup winner with a less than amazing goalie?

Does anyone remember a Stanley Cup winner ou finalist with a less than spectacular goalie? IMO this year a few teams are going in the playoffs with a just above average goalie.

Is Philly going to use Esche or Burke?
Aebischer made some great saves yesterday against Ottawa but lost the game.
Toronto's Belfour isn't at his best and Kidd is far from a great goalie.
I haven't seen a lot of Cloutier or Lalime but from what I heard there not having great sesson either. They might rebound in the playoffs.

What do you think?

Lambert Closse is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 11:13 AM
  #2
SumOfUs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kanata Lakes
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Detroit red Wings with Chris Osgood.

SumOfUs is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 11:17 AM
  #3
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
Does anyone remember a Stanley Cup winner ou finalist with a less than spectacular goalie? IMO this year a few teams are going in the playoffs with a just above average goalie.

Is Philly going to use Esche or Burke?
Aebischer made some great saves yesterday against Ottawa but lost the game.
Toronto's Belfour isn't at his best and Kidd is far from a great goalie.
I haven't seen a lot of Cloutier or Lalime but from what I heard there not having great sesson either. They might rebound in the playoffs.

What do you think?
There is a big difference between being less then spectacular and being a solid goal tender. IMO, the most important part of playing goalie in the playoffs is make the timely save. It is about momentum more then anything else.

Joseph had pretty decent stats last post season, but was unable to get that one key save.

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 11:18 AM
  #4
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOfUs
Detroit red Wings with Chris Osgood.
Took the words straight out of my mouth.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 11:21 AM
  #5
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
Does anyone remember a Stanley Cup winner ou finalist with a less than spectacular goalie? IMO this year a few teams are going in the playoffs with a just above average goalie.

Is Philly going to use Esche or Burke?
Aebischer made some great saves yesterday against Ottawa but lost the game.
Toronto's Belfour isn't at his best and Kidd is far from a great goalie.
I haven't seen a lot of Cloutier or Lalime but from what I heard there not having great sesson either. They might rebound in the playoffs.

What do you think?
Chris Osgood...

Nice to know people still buy into every idiotic thing that the media says... (Rollseyes)

If you're talking about his performance on ice try looking at his satistics over the last 10 games he's played.

If you're talking about health, it was a muscle pull on the right side that kept him out. He's normal injury that often happens is on the left side and just a little background information... Belfour won his stanley cup in Dallas well playing through the left side pull.

Savage is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 11:28 AM
  #6
loveshack2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old School
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
Actually maybe some 'Nucks fans can confirm but I was under the impression that Cloutier was having a pretty good season this year.

loveshack2 is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 11:36 AM
  #7
tytech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
Is Philly going to use Esche or Burke?
What do you think?

Philly will be going with Esche for sure. Burke might see Saturday's New York game and one, maybe two more, but Esche will be in it for the run.

Winners
Osgood was an ok goalie on an amazing team.
Roy in 86 was a no-one at the time
Vernon for Calgary was a little overrated.
Barrasso was an ok goalie on an amazing team.

Finalists
Vanbiesbrouk
Snow/Rousell/Hextall 97
Irbe
Giguere
Who was in net for Vancouver in 94? The fact that I can't name him proves it.
Minnesota NS Goalie in 91 (I believe)
Rhudy/Hrudy


Last edited by tytech: 03-19-2004 at 11:42 AM.
tytech is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 11:37 AM
  #8
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
Does anyone remember a Stanley Cup winner ou finalist with a less than spectacular goalie? IMO this year a few teams are going in the playoffs with a just above average goalie.

Is Philly going to use Esche or Burke?
Last thing first... Esche.

First thing last... you also said finalists... Irbe, Hextall/Snow.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 11:39 AM
  #9
SumOfUs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kanata Lakes
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Last thing first... Esche.

First thing last... you also said finalists... Irbe, Hextall/Snow.
Are you kidding me? Irbe was terrific when he brought the Canes to the final. And even so, the goaltending duties were shared evenly.

SumOfUs is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 11:43 AM
  #10
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOfUs
Are you kidding me? Irbe was terrific when he brought the Canes to the final. And even so, the goaltending duties were shared evenly.
The question was asked if any less than spectacular goalies reached the Finals recently. That Irbe wasn't the #1 for every game in the playoffs for the Canes, I would not put him in that category. Spectacular goalies don't ride the pine.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 11:48 AM
  #11
Snugglepuss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
For a winner, Osgood.

For a finalist, Irbe.

Snugglepuss is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 12:15 PM
  #12
ExplosiveLEAFman
Registered User
 
ExplosiveLEAFman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
I believe it was Kirk Mclean for Vancouver and if I remember correctly he had an incredible series against Ny.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 12:44 PM
  #13
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOfUs
Detroit red Wings with Chris Osgood.
Immediately after reading the title of this thread, the word "Osgood" came straight to my mind as well :p

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 12:48 PM
  #14
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Immediately after reading the title of this thread, the word "Osgood" came straight to my mind as well :p
Chris Osgood, 300 wins in his NHL career, yet still some fringe wings fans still think he is a top 5 goalie and those wins had nothing to do with the system he played behind.

X8oD is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 12:52 PM
  #15
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,553
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Immediately after reading the title of this thread, the word "Osgood" came straight to my mind as well :p


And i thought of Mike Vernon in 1997 too. After all he had a better team than Osgood

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 12:56 PM
  #16
looooob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
Philly will be going with Esche for sure. Burke might see Saturday's New York game and one, maybe two more, but Esche will be in it for the run.

Winners
Osgood was an ok goalie on an amazing team.
Roy in 86 was a no-one at the time
Vernon for Calgary was a little overrated.
Barrasso was an ok goalie on an amazing team.
I'll take issue with the Vernon one. I'll agree that there were times in his career when Vernon was over-rated, but he was VERY good in 89...especially through the playoffs, and he did ok in the finals against a guy called Roy

looooob is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 12:59 PM
  #17
looooob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
And i thought of Mike Vernon in 1997 too. After all he had a better team than Osgood
true. but he did win the Conn Smythe trophy, no?

I think Vernon is actually getting a tough ride on this thread. I was never a huge fan of the guy....but he did provide solid above average if not spectacular goaltending in both 89 and 97

looooob is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 01:04 PM
  #18
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,553
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
true. but he did win the Conn Smythe trophy, no?

I think Vernon is actually getting a tough ride on this thread. I was never a huge fan of the guy....but he did provide solid above average if not spectacular goaltending in both 89 and 97


Yes he did, Everyone and their brother say the Wings won despite Osgood. Well if thats the case, it's the same can be said for Vernon. Because Mike Vernon had the better of those two teams playing infront of him

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 01:06 PM
  #19
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,269
vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
Snow/Rousell/Hextall 97
Who was in net for Vancouver in 94? The fact that I can't name him proves it.
Minnesota NS Goalie in 91 (I believe)
Rousell never saw the ice in 97

Kirk McLean for Vancouver in '94

Jon Casey for Minnesota in '91, a team that had actually finished below .500

GKJ is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 01:07 PM
  #20
looooob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Yes he did, Everyone and their brother say the Wings won despite Osgood. Well if thats the case, it's the same can be said for Vernon. Because Mike Vernon had the better of those two teams playing infront of him
I sort of see what you are saying, but not entirely...it's possible for a team to be so good to win one year without great goaltending, but that same team could win a different year with great goaltending....couldn't they?

looooob is offline  
Old
03-19-2004, 01:11 PM
  #21
kyle
Registered User
 
kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
Finalists
Vanbiesbrouk
Snow/Rousell/Hextall 97
Irbe
Giguere
Who was in net for Vancouver in 94? The fact that I can't name him proves it.
Minnesota NS Goalie in 91 (I believe)
Rhudy/Hrudy
That's funny.. he threatened an 80 year old shutout streak record and he is considered to have been a "less than amazing goalie" during that stretch? Cripes! What did he need to do?

kyle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.